AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You just described virtually every AR15 ever made. A Colt LE6920 MORE than fits the bill.

A "do all" rifle in my mind is something that fits all those parameters that you can also hunt with. So like a 6.8 SPC with a 1x variable.

In my opinion, though, you're crazy if you're using an AR15 for home defense that has more than a 10.3" barrel. If you're not in New Jersey or some place and you're using a 16" barrel for home defense you really have no excuse, beyond laziness or paranoia.
View Quote
SD was referring to situations outside the home (property, proverbial "SHTF", etc.) not the confined space inside a home. Already have a 8.3" 300blk for the hacienda
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

SD was referring to situations outside the home (property, proverbial "SHTF", etc.) not the confined space inside a home. Already have a 8.3" 300blk for the hacienda
View Quote
Alright, Colt LE6920 with an ACOG and a grip pod. You're way overthinking this.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Alright, Colt LE6920 with an ACOG and a grip pod. You're way overthinking this.
View Quote
I guess you missed the posts where I said I was more so looking for suggestions to help enable buying another rifle vs actually needing one?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First step is going to be swapping out the trigger for an MBT flat face I have on hand.

Swap out flashhider for SiCo ASR flashhider

Probably going to take the Troy offset BUIS I have from the PA 3G raffle I won and put them on it (dont shoot 3 gun around here)

Going to try first with a PA 1-6 ACSS in a LT CAN mount. May look into the Leupold VXR Patrol 1-4 if I decide to trim some weight, or venture into ACOg territory, never been there before

Blue Force Gear or Magpul MS4 sling
View Quote
Get a steiner p4xi instead of a PA, if you're looking for something like that
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Get a steiner p4xi instead of a PA, if you're looking for something like that
View Quote
Ive already got t he PA, so thatll be my first shot with an LPVO on the rifle

Given what I have out of pocket in the rifle, I will be debating a Steiner or exploring the ACOG route
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Psh why is anyone discouraging the good man from buying another AR? Jeez

OP - just another datapoint to chew on: The Steiners seem to resell quickly and for good value (depreciation-wise). I sold mine in about ten seconds last year for barely less than I paid; the only reason I sold was for the six power magnification of a Razor. I was very happy with the Steiner.
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Honestly, I wouldn't go for an ACOG.

I love mine and it's bullet proof. But it's fixed power, and really designed for the assumption of primarily taking a shot at distance.

A LPVO or a RDS/Mag combo would be much more versatile.
View Quote
Thanks for the input. And potential money savings
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless you're thinking of going with Primary Arms or something, you're not going to save anything with a 1x variable over an ACOG. Leupold has some, but they're not true 1x, more like 1.5x, by which time you might as well just have an ACOG. A good quality true 1x variable is going to set you back at least as much as an ACOG, and potentially a lot more. Ditto the red dot/magnifier combo.

I'm not really a big fan of ACOGs in general, but if that's your bag then it's about the same money as the other options you might be looking at. Though a 1x variable would probably fit your do all rifle concept better.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get an Aimpoint Comp M4s and a magnifier. The M4s is indestructible. The pro series are great too if you want to save some money. I don't have a mag mine yet, but will probably go with the Aimpoint 3x -1 with the LaRue pivot mount. It'll cost me a couple hundred more than an ACOG in the long run, but I won't be stuck with fixed power. If I didn't live in the foothills of TN, where hills, trees, and mountains get in the way of any significant distance, I would have probably gone the ACOG route.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer ACOG’s, but optics are personal preference.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get an Aimpoint Comp M4s and a magnifier. The M4s is indestructible. The pro series are great too if you want to save some money. I don't have a mag mine yet, but will probably go with the Aimpoint 3x -1 with the LaRue pivot mount. It'll cost me a couple hundred more than an ACOG in the long run, but I won't be stuck with fixed power. If I didn't live in the foothills of TN, where hills, trees, and mountains get in the way of any significant distance, I would have probably gone the ACOG route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you can slap a RMR on top of the ACOG and have both a magnified optic and true 1x optic, without the need to move anything but your head.

RustedAce seems to have great success with the setup as well, I trust his input on this matter.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or you can slap a RMR on top of the ACOG and have both a magnified optic and true 1x optic, without the need to move anything but your head.

RustedAce seems to have great success with the setup as well, I trust his input on this matter.
View Quote
This is how I have my SR-15 set up. TA31F ACOG with RM01 on top. I think it's about perfect for a general purpose rifle. You don't even need to move your head when transitioning sights, just cant the rifle and use the RMR with your left eye. That way you maintain your cheek weld.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
But then there's the ACOG's 1.5" eye relief vs the Aimpoint 3x-1's 2.8" eye relief (granted ACOG is 4x and the Aimpoint is 3x), and the fact that by the time one AA battery in the Aimpoint goes dead (8 years), the ACOG's tritium has almost lost half of it's brightness. As CMS stated, it really just comes down to personal preference. I'd rather flip up and down a magnifier than have to worry about peaking over an ACOG that obstructs some of my view.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Ive already got t he PA, so thatll be my first shot with an LPVO on the rifle

Given what I have out of pocket in the rifle, I will be debating a Steiner or exploring the ACOG route
View Quote
Check out the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6 OP.  Can be found for around or under $600, worth every penny.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But then there's the ACOG's 1.5" eye relief vs the Aimpoint 3x-1's 2.8" eye relief (granted ACOG is 4x and the Aimpoint is 3x), and the fact that by the time one AA battery in the Aimpoint goes dead (8 years), the ACOG's tritium has almost lost half of it's brightness. As CMS stated, it really just comes down to personal preference. I'd rather flip up and down a magnifier than have to worry about peaking over an ACOG that obstructs some of my view.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never had much of an issue with the eye relief on my ACOG but I can understand the concern, especially given some odd shooting positions that can be needed. The life of the brightness though isn't a concern (Which is more like 12 years for the half life of the tritium). The tritium really only ever does something when it is pitch black, which it seldom is. The fiber optic line of an ACOG is extremely effective, even with minimal moonlight.

Personal preference is key, that I do agree with.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I've never had much of an issue with the eye relief on my ACOG but I can understand the concern, especially given some odd shooting positions that can be needed. The life of the brightness though isn't a concern (Which is more like 12 years for the half life of the tritium). The tritium really only ever does something when it is pitch black, which it seldom is. The fiber optic line of an ACOG is extremely effective, even with minimal moonlight.

Personal preference is key, that I do agree with.
View Quote
I'm okay with the eye relief, especially on 5.56, it's the tiny eyebox that gets me. I would much rather have something like a 1-4x, but then again you're talking a lot more weight usually and they're not nearly as rugged because of all the moving parts. Plus the relatively low battery life.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Check out the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6 OP.  Can be found for around or under $600, worth every penny.
View Quote
LPVO’s suck unless you spend a lot of money to get one that has a daylight visible dot at 1x. And even then battery life is abysmal. They’re the epitome of do everything mediocre and nothing well. An ACOG and RMR does everything well. A red dot and a magnifier does the same as long as it’s a small dot. I have an astigmatism so red dots typically suck for me because they look like a slanted blur.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

LPVO’s suck unless you spend a lot of money to get one that has a daylight visible dot at 1x. And even then battery life is abysmal. They’re the epitome of do everything mediocre and nothing well. An ACOG and RMR does everything well. A red dot and a magnifier does the same as long as it’s a small dot. I have an astigmatism so red dots typically suck for me because they look like a slanted blur.
View Quote
Trying going from bright daylight to a dark inside place and tell me how well it does...  and that is why the RMR is mounted on them... which makes for horrible offset...Pass...
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had problems with mine twice. Great glass and all but the electronics kept fucking up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Vortex Viper has a daylight-bright dot at 1x, and is probably the best of its kind in that price range now that the cost is closer to the P4Xi. The first run had some teething problems, but those seem to be sorted out. I have the P4Xi right now and am trying pretty hard to talk myself out of buying the Viper for another gun. Someone (who is also a member here) has a great, thorough comparison of them on TOS. I guess the definition of "abysmal" is subjective.

I haven't tried the prism scope + magnifier combo, but I like the concept. However, it seems LPVOs are the solution of choice for many highly experienced operators and shooters for general use. I don't think this would be the case if they did nothing well.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Suck is a strong word, but your observations aren't unfounded. The ones I've had were daylight visible in my book, though obviously some people have different definitions. You have the reticle there as backup though, so the dot is kind of irrelevant outside of the context of low light. It's more or less like having backup iron sights cowitnessed with a red dot. If you get into bright light and don't have time to adjust, the irons (or in this case the reticle) take over. I'm personally of the opinion that all sights should either have an etched reticle in addition to whatever illumination they might have, OR should have fixed iron sights backing them up.

It's just hard giving up either the tritium of an ACOG or the extremely long battery life of an Aimpoint. That's where the scopes really fail is they're not always on, save for a very few (that are far from daylight visible).
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@StarCityShooter - the brown (milspec +) is quite a bit darker in person than on their website.  Still looks great, just darker.
Thanks!
I personally dig the dark DD brown. My do-all rifle is .300 BLK since Va only allows .23 caliber or larger for deer and my furthest shots are within 300 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top