Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2019 12:24:12 PM EDT
So, I think I want a Sig Rattler. I was planning to buy one with the pistol brace and then SBR it. While looking on gunbroker I saw they have the uppers for sale along with a conversion kit that allows you to use it on a regular AR lower. I have four SBRed AR lowers, they all have an upper on them but I guess I could use one with the Rattler parts.

Do yall think it would be better to just buy the factory pistol and SBR it, or should I just by the kit and use it on one of my current SBRs?

Also, has anyone heard if they are going to release them in FDE? That's what I really want, but I do have access to a very reasonable cerekoter...

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Back when I was looking at them they only came in 300
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that's what I'm going to get, my question was whether or not to get the factory pistol and SBR it, or to just get the upper with conversion kit and use on one of my current SBR lowers.

Also whether or not they were going to be released in FDE anytime soon.

James
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, that's what I'm going to get, my question was whether or not to get the factory pistol and SBR it, or to just get the upper with conversion kit and use on one of my current SBR lowers.

Also whether or not they were going to be released in FDE anytime soon.

James
View Quote
Here's what I would do in your position: Get the pistol, keep it a pistol. Then get the AR conversion adapter separately. Run it as a rifle on your SBR lower, but if you want to go to another state or if you want to carry it concealed, swap the upper back onto the pistol lower. Best of both worlds, save $200.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here's what I would do in your position: Get the pistol, keep it a pistol. Then get the AR conversion adapter separately. Run it as a rifle on your SBR lower, but if you want to go to another state or if you want to carry it concealed, swap the upper back onto the pistol lower. Best of both worlds, save $200.
View Quote
This is good advice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, that makes.

Thanks!

Any word on if a FDE version is on the way?
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, now I am just thinking about building an AR similar to a rattler. I have an extra SBR lower. I am thinking about buying a side charging upper (cause of blow back) real short barrel 5.5-6in. Free float rail, and a pdw stock. I will get them all coated fde before I assemble. The big benefit to the rattler for me was it not having a buffer tube, but since the sig collapsing stock is still kind of big when collapsed I thought I could get close with a pdw stock. I also read the rattlers were gassy, so I figure with a different system and adjustable gas block I can probably make it run pretty smooth.

Does anyone make a short handguard for an AR that looks similar to the rattler? Any suggestions on barrel? I figure even with using very good parts I can come in way less then a rattler, or should I just get the rattler?

James
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, now I am just thinking about building an AR similar to a rattler. I have an extra SBR lower. I am thinking about buying a side charging upper (cause of blow back) real short barrel 5.5-6in. Free float rail, and a pdw stock. I will get them all coated fde before I assemble. The big benefit to the rattler for me was it not having a buffer tube, but since the sig collapsing stock is still kind of big when collapsed I thought I could get close with a pdw stock. I also read the rattlers were gassy, so I figure with a different system and adjustable gas block I can probably make it run pretty smooth.

Does anyone make a short handguard for an AR that looks similar to the rattler? Any suggestions on barrel? I figure even with using very good parts I can come in way less then a rattler, or should I just get the rattler?

James
View Quote
If you're already willing to put that kind of money into this, why not get a Q Honey Badger pistol? It's already FDE-ish, small, and very lightweight. The PDW brace is as long as the Sig collapsing brace or an AR pdw stock.

Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, honey badger is cool, but I am now thinking I could build a short black out upper kinda like a rattle for ways less. I'm just trying to see if there is a good reason to pay extra for a rattler or honey badger.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I decided to build with parts being so inexpensive. I have 400.00 into this build. I just need to install a few more parts and purchase a barrel. Figure I'll save about 1600.00Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I was kind of thinking about going that way. Even with an expensive side charger upper and pdw stock I could still come in way less then a sig rattler...
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, so I decided to just go ahead and build something, but I might still get a rattler later on.

I used an SBR lower (I have four total) that was built as a 7.5in 5.56 sbr with an NEA PDW stock. I purchased a right to bear arms 6in 300 blackout barrel, gas block and SLR 5.5in handguard on EE. I ordered the short FDE troy tomahawk pdw stock and a gibbz side charger upper. I had the upper, handguard, and lower all cerakoted fde. I used a fde magpul k2 grip, bcm mlok covers, and troy flip up buis.

This thing is awesome, very small, and light, and probably way more effective then the 7.5 5.56 it replaces.

I was trying to figure out what to do for a suppressor. I have an sdn6, but the rail is just a little too long. I have pending form one ti 30 cal can that uses a yankee hill mount that looks like it will work well, but will be a little longer then I want since the can is 8in.

I also have a tirant 9, a trident 9, and an all stainless short form one 9mm can, so I thought about putting a 3 lug on it. I think supers would be fine out of the stainless form one 9mm can.

I am leaning towards the pending form one ti can, but if they go on sale or have some kind of promotion I might get an omega 300 for it. It won't always be suppressed though, I wanted the short pdw. I have an 8in blackout sbr that is always suppressed with an 8in form one reflex can.

Anyway with all the fairly expensive parts used (Gibbz upper and troy stock) it still came out way less then the rattler and I think it came out shorter.

James
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I did it kinda in reverse. I got a MCX in 5.56 and purchased an additional 556 barrel.
Chopped the new barrel to 11.5" and will be adding a 300blk barrel (chopped).

The reason for this is, like someone mentioned.. if I decide to go out of state, I can simply install the longer barrel.
The advantage is, I can carry the SBR and both addional barrels for less weight then the complete SBR and addional upper.
overal size is smaller too.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot the one I built the other day. It ran great, the only issue is it will not cycle subs unsuppressed, but with the can it ran fine and locked back. So far I am very happy.

James
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top