Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 87
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By elucidate:
Well this thread is WAY off track. Let's get it back.

This is a 100% real rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/TSIjB9I.jpg

Some key points:

The HRT mount is often used within Regional as well as HRT, it all depends on if said regional guys were involved in the early testing of the new rail and accessories solution, if so they tend to keep the stuff vs moving over the the DD mount. The DD mount is definitely more common though.

Commando barrels are 'the' barrel that is correct for regional SWAT. Some are converted 14.5s that are chopped, although those are now rare. More common are regular 11.5" commando barrels. The newest are Colt CAGE code marked barrels, you will see these where people have had barrels replaced. Not all barrels are Colt, although most are.

There are a good number of the RRA marked Hogue grips out there as people moved them over from their previous RRA lowers.

Colt lowers come from multiple sources, including Crane, so some are weirdly marked or older, such as the one above is a M4 Carbine, US property marked. Not an M4A1, although many are M4A1 marked.

With lasers, both PEQ15 and LA-5 are being used.

There is a large variety in the finer details, mostly related to how long the particular person has been in position.

View Quote

Thanks for posting, based on the pics previously posted, Surefire suppressors any idea on the brake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ResponsibleSecond:
https://ibb.co/cxr926D

I picked up a RRA lower for my DDC HRT build. I want to clone their LE markings. Colt and Bushy do engraving, but it looks like RRA does a stencil of some kind. Anyone have an idea how I can achieve this look?
View Quote

I picked up an old ban era RRA LE carbine specifically to clone with and can confirm it's laser engraved.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:50:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#3]
Well the new RRA grip has the new logo and I’m not digging it. If anyone wants it send me a message.
(Got it sold)
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Vegas19D:
I picked up an old ban era RRA LE carbine specifically to clone with and can confirm it's laser engraved.
View Quote

I saved these photos of a pre-ban RRA LAR-15 from a GB auction last spring. As I understand it, the government contract rifles wore this old style rollmark from when Rock River was based in Cleveland, IL. Looks like the same laser markings on the right side. I believe it sold for around $800, before the panic prices really kicked in. I considered bidding on it, but at the time, I didn't want to bother with it when I really just wanted the receiver set to potentially clone an updated 11.5" FBI rifle. In retrospect, I'm sure I could have sold off the extra parts these days.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:02:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#5]
The grip in the resent real deal post has the second gen logo
So I’m wondering if the RRA lowers used had some of both logo. The newest third version of their logo is ugly IMO
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 12:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#6]
Were the FBI’s RRAs anything like the DEA ones?

2004 Story from Guns Magazine about the DEA RRAs

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I saved these photos of a pre-ban RRA LAR-15 from a GB auction last spring. As I understand it, the government contract rifles wore this old style rollmark from when Rock River was based in Cleveland, IL. Looks like the same laser markings on the right side. I believe it sold for around $800, before the panic prices really kicked in. I considered bidding on it, but at the time, I didn't want to bother with it when I really just wanted the receiver set to potentially clone an updated 11.5" FBI rifle. In retrospect, I'm sure I could have sold off the extra parts these days.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/RRA_LAR-15_Cleveland_IL_5_jpg-1804348.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/RRA_LAR-15_Cleveland_IL_6_jpg-1804349.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/RRA_LAR-15_Cleveland_IL_10_jpg-1804352.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/RRA_LAR-15_Cleveland_IL_11_jpg-1804353.JPG
View Quote

Thanks for posting that up, my old rra lower is from 1999 or therabouts obviously no le markings, but at least I have a starting point.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#8]
With regards pictures, this is one I saw on the cra off topic group. Obviously I can't testify to its authenticity but perhaps.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tamboi:

Thanks for posting that up, my old rra lower is from 1999 or therabouts obviously no le markings, but at least I have a starting point.
View Quote

Good information. Mine is new production obviously but still useful for the build.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't think this image has been posted yet. Looks like the rifle furthest from the camera has a T2 on a Larue LT660 mount. Sig optic and mount on the other rifle.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By vinnytwoshoes:
Don't think this image has been posted yet. Looks like the rifle furthest from the camera has a T2 on a Larue LT660 mount. Sig optic and mount on the other rifle.
View Quote

I could be wrong, and it's hard to tell in the photo, but I think that's a T2 on a Daniel Defense micro mount, which is common on Regional SWAT rifles. It looks like it has the curved / tapered appearance of the DD mount under the Aimpoint, vs. the straight vertical sides of the Larue mount. Found this image on the web for reference:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By vinnytwoshoes:

https://imgur.com/gallery/fkYlKWS
View Quote

Cant see the image, is there a tricl to viewing it
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Now that you have quoted it just click the red image link.
It’s such a low res pic you can’t make out anything anyway
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
My “Enhanced SWAT” duty rifle

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Got to shoot my upper a little this weekend, really liking the rail a lot.  Need to get on the flashlight and sling hunt.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

That’s nice
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:
Now that you have quoted it just click the red image link.
It’s such a low res pic you can’t make out anything anyway
View Quote

Thanks, any pic is better than none
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys. I really dig the FBI uppers with the Troy rail but I can't find anything on the length of the rail. Anyone have an idea?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By jttaylor1228:
Hey guys. I really dig the FBI uppers with the Troy rail but I can't find anything on the length of the rail. Anyone have an idea?
View Quote

If I had to guess it’s the 11inch Troy alpha rail.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks man. I have been looking at pictures and just cant tell how much barrel is showing on those 11.5's. I'll order one and see how it goes. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jttaylor1228:
Thanks man. I have been looking at pictures and just cant tell how much barrel is showing on those 11.5's. I'll order one and see how it goes. Thanks again.
View Quote

Well I could be wrong. If this old sell ad is legit than it looks short like the 9 inch rail.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Well I could be wrong. If this old sell ad is legit than it looks short like the 9 inch rail.
https://i.imgur.com/ryS3ojy.jpg
View Quote

Looks like you're right. Thanks so much for doing the research. Appreciate that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#23]
What would be appropriate for a hrt upper, stainless or nitridate sgb. Also does brt still offer the service of installing the insert, .065 would that be the correct size or which brt tube for a mix of operation suppressed and unsuppressed.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#24]
What would be appropriate for a hrt upper, stainless or nitridate sgb. Also does brt still offer the service of installing the insert, .065 would that be the correct size or which brt tube for a mix of operation suppressed and unsuppressed.
View Quote

In the photo it looks to be a nitride. I would do the brt gas tube. I use the brt car mix, it works with a H2 buffer and can or H without the can.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#25]

In the photo it looks to be a nitride. I would do the brt gas tube. I use the brt car mix, it works with a H2 buffer and can or H without the can.
View Quote

Looks pretty stainless in the pic that elucidate posted

Attachment Attached File

Enhance Enhance Enhance

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

They still do the insert, I just shipped mine out to them. I told them I'd be using a Colt 6933 barrel, carbine buffer spring, and H2 buffer, unsupressed. They were quick in communication and I went with the .065 insert (.067 gas port size). I had considered the gas tube, but BRT said for a duty gun they recommend the insert.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies, Bhavin22, which picture are you referring to in particular.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 3:25:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Just looked at the pics that hrt4me posted up previously. Looks like stainless that is not pinned, thanks for all the replies, may get a brt gas tube.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
It is stainless. Unpinned.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Thanks for the clarification, now onto another question.  Looking at the pics posted by hrt4me it seems both rifles have a standard a2. Since HRT seems to be using           Surefire suppressors would the sfct be correct.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies, Bhavin22, which picture are you referring to in particular.
View Quote

Sorry I thought it was the same person asking about the Troy rail uppers.
Yes the geissele mk4 rail use the stainless G gas block.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Thanks for the clarification, now onto another question.  Looking at the pics posted by hrt4me it seems both rifles have a standard a2. Since HRT seems to be using           Surefire suppressors would the sfct be correct.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28561/Screenshot_20210207-140024_Chrome_jpg-1815265.JPG
View Quote

From the pics on page1 it seems the 3 prong are being used. But I went sfct because it look closer to the A2 without the can on
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Just looked at the pics that hrt4me posted up previously. Looks like stainless that is not pinned, thanks for all the replies, may get a brt gas tube.
View Quote

View Quote

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realize it was so visible, that the gas block is unpinned. I'm going to go with just the set screws after all, to keep it correct. That will be cheaper too, since I was planning to send the barrel out for the pinning.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realize it was so visible, that the gas block is unpinned. I'm going to go with just the set screws after all, to keep it correct. That will be cheaper too, since I was planning to send the barrel out for the pinning.
View All Quotes

Lol, yeah I was going send mine out as well to get pinned, but dimples are so much easier to do, so that was last  nights project. With regards the brake I think the sfct may be the way to go, but I was hoping to make the upper as close as possible. Although it seems there is some differences in the pictures from page 1 with the eotechs and mbuis to those on page 50 with the aimpoints.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#35]

If anyone is interested, I put this slightly used upper on the equipment exchange.  It isn't an exact clone but it certainly looks nice.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Question for you guys:

I obtained a DDC HRT rail, and was able to snag a RRA stripped lower.  

I have all the components to complete my build, and have it be relatively "clone"-ish.  Major deviation would be muzzle device and irons- I'll be going with an open tine warcomp and KAC micros.  Optic will be a T-2 in a FDE unity mount, so I guess that counts too.

I have two barrels laying around.

1- Colt 11.5 HBAR with FSB, I have a G gas block standing by for this one

2- Marvin Pitts 11.5 dimpled E3 barrel, I have an SLR gas block standing by for this one

My gut tells me to use the Marvin barrel as I feel I have enough deviations that it doesn't really matter, and overall it would be the better shooter and something that would keep my interests longer.  

Thoughts?  

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:08:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#37]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:
Question for you guys:

I obtained a DDC HRT rail, and was able to snag a RRA stripped lower.  

I have all the components to complete my build, and have it be relatively "clone"-ish.  Major deviation would be muzzle device and irons- I'll be going with an open tine warcomp and KAC micros.  Optic will be a T-2 in a FDE unity mount, so I guess that counts too.

I have two barrels laying around.

1- Colt 11.5 HBAR with FSB, I have a G gas block standing by for this one

2- Marvin Pitts 11.5 dimpled E3 barrel, I have an SLR gas block standing by for this one

My gut tells me to use the Marvin barrel as I feel I have enough deviations that it doesn't really matter, and overall it would be the better shooter and something that would keep my interests longer.  

Thoughts?  

View Quote

Almost everyone is using an incorrect barrel, myself included. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The irons and optic mount are going to be very obviously incorrect though, I think it’s necessary to go for the correct parts there. I don’t have the correct optic yet, and I think it kind of ruins the overall look.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:33:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#38]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:

Almost everyone is using an incorrect barrel, myself included. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The irons and optic mount are going to be very obviously incorrect though, I think it’s necessary to go for the correct parts there. I don’t have the correct optic yet, and I think it kind of ruins the overall look.
View Quote

The optics are kind of my sticking point sadly- while I enjoy "cloning" or having a rifle that is inspired by something, I won't sacrifice usability or functionality (IE personal preference/relative standardization with other rifles I use and train with) for what looks.  Apparently MBUS pro's are kosher, so eventually I will pick up a set of those.  Optic mount though....I really dig the added height and it works really well for me.

I feel like I may have just answered my own question....but since I went to the length of sourcing the lower, I figured I'd ask.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:44:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#39]

The optics are kind of my sticking point sadly- while I enjoy "cloning" or having a rifle that is inspired by something, I won't sacrifice usability or functionality (IE personal preference/relative standardization with other rifles I use and train with) for what looks.  Apparently MBUS pro's are kosher, so eventually I will pick up a set of those.  Optic mount though....I really dig the added height and it works really well for me.

I feel like I may have just answered my own question....but since I went to the length of sourcing the lower, I figured I'd ask.
View All Quotes

I can understand that, mine is set up as a defensive rifle, so I made a few small changes to it that aren’t kosher and I don’t care that it’s wrong. I just try to get it as close as I reasonably can aside from those parts.

If you opted for a black mount rather than an FDE one it would probably go a long way towards making it look right.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#40]

I can understand that, mine is set up as a defensive rifle, so I made a few small changes to it that aren’t kosher and I don’t care that it’s wrong. I just try to get it as close as I reasonably can aside from those parts.

If you opted for a black mount rather than an FDE one it would probably go a long way towards making it look right.
View Quote

That I could probably do- I've got 3 of each color.  I just figured with all the FDE going on the rifle it may be a nice touch.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I would do the Magpul pro for the irons and I would get the proper mount for the T2 and add a riser like a Larue? But that’s just me
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I would do the Magpul pro for the irons and I would get the proper mount for the T2 and add a riser like a Larue? But that’s just me
View Quote

Would you do the dimpled E3 barrel/KAC BCG or colt?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bhavin22] [#43]

Would you do the dimpled E3 barrel/KAC BCG or colt?
View Quote

If you are going to do the correct irons and mount than yes colt. If not who cares. I guess I’m one of the few with a correct barrel but that’s just because of dumb luck and I found one.
Hopefully that helps
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:13:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ahab] [#44]
Do a search for The FBI declassified on CBS. Season 1, Episode 1 "Saving Ethan". If you jump to 35:00 you get a great close up shot of a HRT gun complete with Geissele rail, Aimpoint T2 in Spuhr mount, NGAL etc etc. I tried to embed but the internet hates me
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This rail really shows the dimples off quite well...........
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#48]

After seeing the pics, I’d definitely go with the Colt barrel.
View Quote

Yeah, Im torn.  Either way its going to get a unity mount, so Im not sure how to go about this.  The colt would be the more accurate route, but with the deviation I'll have either way....

ETA:  mocked up the colt barrel.  Only problem is it was a FSB model:

Attachment Attached File

I can hit it with some cold blue to darken it, but it will absolutely be visible.  Pet peeve I suppose.  Not a huge deal, and I have a G block I can set screw in place, which apparently is accurate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I think its fine.  Like you said, just blue it and no ones the wiser (except you).
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 87
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top