Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 263
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vtm204:
Well I took my upper out of the safe today in anticipation of finally shooting it this weekend.  Through the rail, I noticed two small rusty "dots" an inch or so rear of the gas block at the 7 o clock and 10 o clock positions.  This is my first carbine length barrel so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what the hell? Any ideas?
https://i.imgur.com/6vu79sw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oM2Fdbb.jpg
View Quote
damn gremlin pissed on your barrel
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FREEFALLE7:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Well I took my upper out of the safe today in anticipation of finally shooting it this weekend.  Through the rail, I noticed two small rusty "dots" an inch or so rear of the gas block at the 7 o clock and 10 o clock positions.  This is my first carbine length barrel so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what the hell? Any ideas?

Maybe it's Geissele tears
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Not sure, is your rail cracked yet?

Seriously is that the solution? I have the Geissele gas block and will toss it if this is the fix.
View Quote
There’s tons of space around the gas block now. I haven’t dropped it but it appears to be a simple solution.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#4]

View Quote
Is it a Geissele build or a home build? If it’s geissele it’s more then likely the cosmoline they put on the uppers I Hosed my upper down with degreaser
And it ended up on the barrel I had to remove the rail and remove the cosmoline off the barrel as well it was a brown thick grease just something to think of probably wasn’t rust but the cosmoline
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 8:43:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mikehikes] [#5]
Originally Posted By ATravis11b:

There’s tons of space around the gas block now. I haven’t dropped it but it appears to be a simple solution.
View Quote
Do you have any more pics or details?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm using Daniel Defense low-pro gas blocks under my MK16 and MK14s and it seems to have plenty of clearance.

I guess it would hit if I dropped it in the same manner as the guy with the MAWL, but I don't think any tube type setup would fare much differently.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:48:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ATravis11b] [#7]
Originally Posted By Mikehikes:

Do you have any more pics or details?
View Quote
It's painted and back together now. I just used a grinding wheel on a dremel as it was locked into my barrel vice and took the corner's off the mk12 gas block.

Edit: Pic thread so I'll throw in my black MK16.  Different gun than the one that was dremeled.

Link Posted: 1/4/2019 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ATravis11b:

It's painted and back together now. I just used a grinding wheel on a dremel as it was locked into my barrel vice and took the corner's off the mk12 gas block.

Edit: Pic thread so I'll throw in my black MK16.  Different gun than the one that was dremeled.

https://i.imgur.com/XyL9d0q.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgive the iPotato pic, but I broke the URGI in yesterday.  Only took 3 clicks up to zero the Razor with M855 and was smooth shooting there on out. I did, however, notice my Mk12 gas block is pretty much touching on one side of the lower rail sections so I may clearance it a bit at some point. Didn't seem to impact my accuracy, but I'm also not really what you'd call a "precision" shooter so maybe I couldn't tell the difference ha .

On an unrelated note, I took my wife and she loves the mini-recce and now feels all of my rifles need a can. Who am I to argue?

Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: InfamousAK] [#10]
Originally Posted By FDEinAZ:
Forgive the iPotato pic, but I broke the URGI in yesterday.  Only took 3 clicks up to zero the Razor with M855 and was smooth shooting there on out. I did, however, notice my Mk12 gas block is pretty much touching on one side of the lower rail sections so I may clearance it a bit at some point. Didn't seem to impact my accuracy, but I'm also not really what you'd call a "precision" shooter so maybe I couldn't tell the difference ha .

On an unrelated note, I took my wife and she loves the mini-recce and now feels all of my rifles need a can. Who am I to argue?

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZNR3xGT/273-C4-E92-1194-4-B76-9-CCC-09570589-D00-E.jpg
View Quote
The wife got any sisters?! Wish my Girlfriend would think like that! Or could your wife help train my lady?! Glad though the Wifey enjoyed the range with you, and I wish more women were into this hobby, what did the Mrs. think of the URGI or did you just break it in yourself? I know there are quite a few women on here that are into the Hobby, but with all the noise stirred up by the recent drop test, curious to know if there are any female opinions on this, as we have heard from all the regulars on here, it would be nice to hear the female side of this! It would be a breath of fresh air from all the redundant claims and opinions!
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

The wife got any sisters?! Wish my Girlfriend would think like that! Or could your wife help train my lady?! Glad though the Wifey enjoyed the range with you, and I wish more women were into this hobby, what did the Mrs. think of the URGI or did you just break it in yourself? I know there are quite a few women on here that are into the Hobby, but with all the noise stirred up by the recent drop test, curious to know if there are any female opinions on this, as we have heard from all the regulars on here, it would be nice to hear the female side of this! It would be a breath of fresh air from all the redundant claims and opinions!
View Quote
Haha...this was only the second time she's gone shooting actually but the smoothness and quietness of my mini-recce helped calm her nerves and then she got into it. For that reason she didn't try the URGI, she said when I get a can for it she will.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

But they haven't been tested in ANY other scenario.

The MAWL is different than other accessories in that it is 10 oz, cantilever, and robust. It will definitely exacerbate any issues.

IF MAWLs are issued and they cause the rail (as issued) to deform at a reasonable height, it's a problem.
View Quote
Is cool bro, assumption is the way of the future. Don't let anyone else ever tell you otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#13]
We need pics of the 10.3" URG-I decked out with ATACR 1-8 and surefire RC....Anyone? Anyone? sorry lol all my stuff should be here this month to wrap up my build and im getting excited!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgive the iPotato pic, but I broke the URGI in yesterday.
View Quote
Ha!  I read this as "I broke the URGI yesterday."

Glad that I was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CarpNY:

Glad that I was wrong.
View All Quotes
Forgive the iPotato pic, but I broke the URGI in yesterday.

Glad that I was wrong.
This thread gave us all PTSD.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:32:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By nhojyelbom:
https://i.imgur.com/Bpu2aIX.jpg
View Quote
Nice to see some more pics
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Glad that I was wrong.
View Quote
You weren't the only one!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#19]
The more I use the Razor, the more I like it. I really hope the Sig measures up (I doubt it) cause this thing is awesome

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:
The more I use the Razor, the more I like it. I really hope the Sig measures up (I doubt it) cause this thing is awesome

https://i.imgur.com/1kLDg4P.jpg
View Quote
Very friggin' sweet, as usual!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:52:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: splbass17] [#21]
Hope I'm not too off topic here. I noticed some of you guys rattle can and some of you cerakote/durakote/etc.

I was wanting to get my AR's colored FDE (upper and lower receiver) professionally to match the GA URGI upper

Do you guys recommend any place in particular? Ill prob send them a few pistols while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:02:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#22]
Originally Posted By splbass17:
Hope I'm not too off topic here. I noticed some of you guys rattle can and some of you cerakote/durakote/etc.

I was wanting to get my AR's colored FDE (upper and lower receiver) professionally to match the GA URGI upper

Do you guys recommend any place in particular? Ill prob send them a few pistols while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance!
View Quote
Any paint is going to wear. I would suggest buying a tan anodized upper and lower or sending what you have off to be anodized. If you insist on painting, @ankratz is good at matching tanodized with Cerakote but he can't do lower receivers.

ETA: After you get gold it would probably better fit into here or here.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
From a couple guys I know that have had them issued, they are falling apart lol
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

View Quote
Why am I not surprised what are they currently using them on? Their block II uppers?

SOCOM right now:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Shortyboi...not sure why I didn't have the RC on it for the pic

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes

Does it fire a round when you drop it too?
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By dlm1984:

You weren't the only one!
View Quote

I don’t have a MAWL and I’m short so it’d be a small drop anyway.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Any paint is going to wear. I would suggest buying a tan anodized upper and lower or sending what you have off to be anodized. If you insist on painting, @ankratz is good at matching tanodized with Cerakote but he can't do lower receivers.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By splbass17:

Thanks in advance!

@splbass17, shoot me an email if you'd like. There may be a way to get that lower coated for you, as well.
ankratz @ gmail

Here's Colt "tanodizing" to inspire you :)

CTA005A comparison by A K, on Flickr
20190102_141314 by A K, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 4:47:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 56cbr600rr] [#29]
Tried something different today.  10x magnification.  Not super impressed with the barrel so far...  Need to get it on bags.  Leaning towards converting it to a NSW Recce

Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Aero ODG cerakote upper.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
That MK7 is the tits!
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

The SIG optic....lol
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#33]
The SIG optic....lol
View All Quotes

The SIG optic....lol
Who's weiner is SIG slobbering on to win all these contracts?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ankratz:

@splbass17, shoot me an email if you'd like. There may be a way to get that lower coated for you, as well.
ankratz @ gmail

Here's Colt "tanodizing" to inspire you :)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7906/46556201932_eaf0d8f4af_b.jpgCTA005A comparison by A K, on Flickr
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4803/46608292051_eca804f039_b.jpg20190102_141314 by A K, on Flickr
View Quote
Man! Why does that look so good, it's just perfect. Kind of like a hot chick bending over in a thong, I just can't stop looking.

About to head to the office, will message you soon. Thanks brother.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
Oh no, I dont insist on any method, just wanted it to be pretty. I dont know all the details of the different methods, Im not picky. Thanks for the info will read up on this stuff and the differences
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 56cbr600rr:
Tried something different today.  10x magnification.  Not super impressed with the barrel so far...  Need to get it on bags.  Leaning towards converting it to a NSW Recce

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c361/blklexus74/4B9FCEE4-37AA-45EC-B92F-3746760E6170.jpg
View Quote
Try the accuracy test again with both rings on the upper receiver and not on the rail?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:33:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cjwwd2] [#37]
Originally Posted By berkeleygiraffe:

Try the accuracy test again with both rings on the upper receiver and not on the rail?
View Quote
Agreed. I would definitely recommend not "bridging the gap" with rings and a precision optic. This is what unimounts are for
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Was wondering if that could be the culprit as well.  Will do.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Not only could it be, it probably is the culprit. Need those rings both on the UR. Particularly on a precision rig
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
@cjwwd2 what mount is that looks like Nightforce.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Alaskanforfreedom:

Looks like a Badger Ordnance mount.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

Looks like a Badger Ordnance mount.
View Quote
Yep, it is Badger p/n 306-317a
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Why am I not surprised what are they currently using them on? Their block II uppers?

SOCOM right now:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272939/pikachu_meme_jpg-801490.JPG
View Quote
Honestly, when SIG decided to get in the optics game, I thought, OK, so low dollar outsourced stuff.

Then SOCOM gives them a contract, and you know they won on price, It's not like there's a lack of good options.

Dilutes the SIG brand.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe they wanted something as bad-ass as their Eotechs?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By samuse:
View Quote
Ouch
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone even proven the drop test slides? Because they looked doctored/fake to me. Literally anyone can make a PowerPoint slideshow..
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Mr_CD:
Has anyone even proven the drop test slides? Because they looked doctored/fake to me. Literally anyone can make a PowerPoint slideshow..
View Quote
The image was cropped, but it is legit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
View All Quotes
Question still remains, where did the slide come from?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Picatinny
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By samuse:
View Quote
Page / 263
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top