BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 263
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:35:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThRob] [#1]
Didn't I read somewhere that the Geissele parts will be black anodized for the Army and not DDE? If so, why the heck is Brownells selling the uppers with the DDE?

Edit: page 4 is mine losers
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 2:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThRob:
Didn't I read somewhere that the Geissele parts will be black anodized for the Army and not DDE? If so, why the heck is Brownells selling the uppers with the DDE?

View Quote
Seems like black anodizing would go against the latest trends of having things be coyote/FDE like:

M17 Pistol
SCAR 17
M4A1 RIS & Mk18 Mod1

Really I have no interest in it if it’s not the Geissele DDC.

It’s not page ownage if you edit.

Link Posted: 1/24/2018 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#3]

View Quote
The upper is a close facsimile to as-issued, including the DDC anodizing.

Also, you can't own a page with an edit. Loser.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pezboytate] [#4]
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Instagram post by thegreatequalizerusa

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sdrake100:

Employee of Geissele on the Geissele Owner's Group on FB.
View Quote
This sounds like geometry changes in the barrel extension to improve feeding and wear pattern along with forged chambers and throats to maximize  performance
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

Seems like black anodizing would go against the latest trends of having things be coyote/FDE like:

M17 Pistol
SCAR 17
M4A1 RIS & Mk18 Mod1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

M17 Pistol
SCAR 17
M4A1 RIS & Mk18 Mod1

Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

M17 Pistol
SCAR 17
M4A1 RIS & Mk18 Mod1

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/rob_97dsm/hfdh_zpsmplmyxaj.jpg
Can't see your picture because you used Photobucket.  Mega fail.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By loco_engineer:

View Quote
Shows up on iphone, android and 2 separate PCs... are you viewing this thread from a C64 or what?
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Photobucket doesn't allow 3rd party hosting anymore. You're probably the only person that can see it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Shows up on iphone, android and 2 separate PCs... are you viewing this thread from a C64 or what?
View All Quotes

Nope, iPhone 7.

Anyway since this is a tech forum, I can't wait to get my URGI whenever it's shipped from Brownell's.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Ship date is what, April? Pre-order guys are going to be waiting a while. It'll be worth it though I'm sure
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes

M17 Pistol
SCAR 17
M4A1 RIS & Mk18 Mod1

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p284/rob_97dsm/hfdh_zpsmplmyxaj.jpg
Weird. I can see it on a giant turd LG K10

Anywho, the rail will be DDC. No way in hell they'd pick black over DDC thankfully.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m down for the DDE, but since we are on the topic of “clone correct” I am fairly sure that anodized color is something people will want to get right... well at least until the rattle cans come out
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
I believe some of the T&E photos did show black MK16s.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Did this upper win a contract or something?
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
Did this upper win a contract or something?
View Quote
Multiple vendors won contracts for upper parts, that will be assembled into complete upper receiver groups by Army for USASOC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a dumb question; why can't we buy the DD 14.5 middy barrel and have someone like Steve @ ADCO increase the gas port to .076? Wouldn't that give us the correct barrel?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By M4arc:
I have a dumb question; why can't we buy the DD 14.5 middy barrel and have someone like Steve @ ADCO increase the gas port to .076? Wouldn't that give us the correct barrel?
View Quote
Apparently its more than just the gas port. There's some other secret sauce stuff going on with that barrel. It probably would just be easier to ask DD if they can sell the barrel.

They sell the Crane gas block. They used to sell RIS II's individually, all day long for a long period.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still curious what this magic sauce is. If it end up being something already known to us like CHF I'm gonna be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:31:36 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
.076" is the same as DD's commercial 14.5" mid.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Vapor-Trail:
Apparently its more than just the gas port. There's some other secret sauce stuff going on with that barrel. It probably would just be easier to ask DD if they can sell the barrel.

They sell the Crane gas block. They used to sell RIS II's individually, all day long for a long period.
View All Quotes

Who knows. I believe someone said in this thread or another they believe it is the geometry of the feed ramps, chamber or something.

Good luck on DD selling clone correct anything. These are the same people who sell Block II uppers with the wrong gas block, wrong gas port size, a bill board on the side, and a plastic dust cover.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

Who knows. I believe someone said in this thread or another they believe it is the geometry of the feed ramps, chamber or something.

Good luck on DD selling clone correct anything. These are the same people who sell Block II uppers with the wrong gas block, wrong gas port size, a bill board on the side, and a plastic dust cover.
View Quote
I could believe something about the feed ramps. Especially with M855A1 in the picture now. Maybe they figured out some way that includes the new mags for the feed ramps to take less of a beating.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
DD puts in the wrong gas block too?

Thats really messed up considering they make the MK12 block for Crane.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#25]

View Quote
Agreed. No idea why their Block II uppers are the way they are. Stupid.

I guess it's no big deal, really. I'd rather build my own, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 871JZ:

Agreed. No idea why their Block II uppers are the way they are. Stupid.

I guess it's no big deal, really. I'd rather build my own, anyway.
View Quote
I just went and looked. "4140 gas block"

Man that is totally hosed. Lol!

They're too cheap to even do 4150? That's ice cold!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

They use a pinned low profile gas block on their uppers instead of the set screw Mk12, which they make and have available.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#28]
For anybody interested I'd recommend the Badger Ordnance Mk12 block above the DD. Not only is it technically more correct, I'm actually able to get the fucker on the barrel. And its a better looking grey instead of black. I hate the DD Mk12 gas block
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
For anybody interested I'd recommend the Badger Ordnance Mk12 block above the DD. Not only is it technically more correct, I'm actually able to get the fucker on the barrel. And its a better looking grey instead of black. I hate the DD Mk12 gas block
View Quote
Even the one DD sells separately is not right?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm still curious what this magic sauce is. If it end up being something already known to us like CHF I'm gonna be disappointed.
View Quote
Semen... It's always semen...
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
I've never had a DD Mk12 gas block but I believe they are correct. I use Badger Ordnance Mk12 gas blocks and they don't match the Crane drawing exactly. The set screws are supposed to be .420" apart and on the Badger they are .400".
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
All of the blocks I have seen on legit block 2s are grey in color. Badger as well as the contractor @Combat_Diver receives low pro blocks from. So that right there would tell me no. My sold separately DD blocks were black.

Its strange to me because the clone threads have always said "DD MK12 gas block" but yet I haven't seen one on a mil block 2 so take that for what's its worth. I'm not sure what all pezboytate has seen for blocks, so maybe ask him too before we call it "set in stone"

Thinking back I think I've only seen grey on Mk12 Mod 1s as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:51:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vapor-Trail] [#33]
Ok now this is interesting:

Bill Geissele with Brownells at Shot 2018

Fast forward to 24:18

Some info in here seems to contradict add a lot to what we have assembled in this thread. (ETA not really contradict)

Bill says that the URG-I is a "retrofit kit" supplied to Army.

Barrel comes as an assembly: DD barrel with Geissele barrel nut slid on. Gas block pinned in place and gas tube already mounted.

Army assembler basically slides barrel in, tightens nut, slides on MK16 rail tightens screws....done.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#34]
sounds like how a lot of block I uppers were retrofitted to block II standards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#35]

Some info in here seems to contradict a lot of info we have assembled in this thread.

Barrel comes as an assembly: DD barrel with Geissele barrel nut slid on. Gas block pinned in place and gas tube already mounted.

Army assembler basically slides barrel in, tightens nut, slides on MK16 rail tightens screws....done.
View Quote
What is contradictory? The only difference I've heard is that he says the gas block is pinned. He didn't say what type of gas block is on the issued uppers. It may be the Geissele slim gas block but from what I've heard so far, it isn't.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#36]

What is contradictory? The only difference I've heard is that he says the gas block is pinned. He didn't say what type of gas block is on the issued uppers. It may be the Geissele slim gas block but from what I've heard so far, it isn't.
View Quote
Its not a MK12 gas block? Unless they are drilling and pinning them?

What have you heard? A new type of block?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:20:59 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

GS5414 said it was a Mk12 gas block. It may not be, I haven't seen any pics or documentation yet though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#38]

GS5414 said it was a Mk12 gas block. It may not be, I haven't seen any pics or documentation yet though.
View Quote
Yup that's what I remember hearing too.

Either way, interesting that it comes as a partially assembled retrofit kit. That's a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Lots of information here.  Just spent some time with Geissele and with Daniel Defense at SHOTSHOW.

From the best I can tell, Geissele is providing their Mk16 rail and a version of their Air ambi ch.  There is a slight variation to what is provided the Army, from what they sell.  The Brownells version, is... just that.

Daniel Defense is providing the 14.5" Gov't profile barrel and their Mk12 gas block.  Barrel is standard Cr-Moly CHF Chrome lined.

DD told me that G is sending the parts, and DD is assembling, and DD is attaching the Surefire flash hider.  Originally, it was the three-prong WarComp, but field testing got too much garbage in the holes, so they went with a pure tine SOCOM flash hider.  To be fair, I go conflicting reports as whether it is the 3-prong, the old 4-prong, or the new 4-prong.  I did not hear that it was a middy.  I assumed it was a carbine barrel.  I have read enough external sources in the last four hours to assume that the middy is correct.  I have the engineering contacts at both firms, and can confirm, as well as with SF.

The Mk16 DD rail is very solid, and the award, I am told, is based (partially) on how the Mk16 connects to the upper receiver, with flanges that keep it from rotating.

I found the barrel choice interesting.  Interesting in two ways.  One, I would not have ever called a DD barrel for a DOD contract.  Why not Colt?  Next, it was Govt profile, and not SOCOM profile.  Thirdly, if it is a middy, that is a first.

The receiver and BCG are 100% Colt.  I am told that armourers at Fr. Bragg, Ft. Benning, etc., will determine whether to replace existing uppers or add new uppers and BCG.  Clearly, the upper shown with Brownells is not US Army.  It is a forge mark from Precision Forging, or something like that.  I know someone will correct me.  I think they are in CA, and also Sig uses them, if I remember.

No word on lowers, as they are "as is" from what I am told.  I would suspect that means SOPMOD stock, but that is my assumption.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By barrelnutz:
Lots of information here.  Just spent some time with Geissele and with Daniel Defense at SHOTSHOW.

From the best I can tell, Geissele is providing their Mk16 rail and a version of their Air ambi ch.  There is a slight variation to what is provided the Army, from what they sell.  The Brownells version, is... just that.

Daniel Defense is providing the 14.5" Gov't profile barrel and their Mk12 gas block.  Barrel is standard Cr-Moly CHF Chrome lined.

DD told me that G is sending the parts, and DD is assembling, and DD is attaching the Surefire flash hider.  Originally, it was the three-prong WarComp, but field testing got too much garbage in the holes, so they went with a pure tine SOCOM flash hider.  To be fair, I go conflicting reports as whether it is the 3-prong, the old 4-prong, or the new 4-prong.  I did not hear that it was a middy.  I assumed it was a carbine barrel.  I have read enough external sources in the last four hours to assume that the middy is correct.  I have the engineering contacts at both firms, and can confirm, as well as with SF.

The Mk16 DD rail is very solid, and the award, I am told, is based (partially) on how the Mk16 connects to the upper receiver, with flanges that keep it from rotating.

I found the barrel choice interesting.  Interesting in two ways.  One, I would not have ever called a DD barrel for a DOD contract.  Why not Colt?  Next, it was Govt profile, and not SOCOM profile.  Thirdly, if it is a middy, that is a first.

The receiver and BCG are 100% Colt.  I am told that armourers at Fr. Bragg, Ft. Benning, etc., will determine whether to replace existing uppers or add new uppers and BCG.  Clearly, the upper shown with Brownells is not US Army.  It is a forge mark from Precision Forging, or something like that.  I know someone will correct me.  I think they are in CA, and also Sig uses them, if I remember.

No word on lowers, as they are "as is" from what I am told.  I would suspect that means SOPMOD stock, but that is my assumption.

Hope that helps.
View Quote
Thanks for confirming/reiterating.

Where did you hear about the Mk12 gas block? Is it pinned in place?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#41]
What's the difference between old SF4P and new SF4P? Wasn't aware a change happened
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#42]

Some info in here seems to contradict add a lot to what we have assembled in this thread. (ETA not really contradict)

View Quote
Offically only word I have is I've got work to do assembling.  Talked to Bill G and was told assembled barrels with gas block and G barrel nut.  Remove old barrel, install new barrel, tighten nut (one wrench per 10 rails) and then screw on new rail with T30 screws.  Same S4P.  Only word on gas blocks I've seen was G stating it was DD Mk12 GBs.  Don't know yet until I actually get the kits.

CD
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:24:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Offically only word I have is I've got work to do assembling.  Talked to Bill G and was told assembled barrels with gas block and G barrel nut.  Remove old barrel, install new barrel, tighten nut (one wrench per 10 rails) and then screw on new rail with T30 screws.  Same S4P.  Only word on gas blocks I've seen was G stating it was DD Mk12 GBs.  Don't know yet until I actually get the kits.

CD
View Quote
I guess when you start getting them in we will finally know for sure,

Thanks CD
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Any pictures of these uppers in the wild?  Assuming not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Mundus:
Any pictures of these uppers in the wild?  Assuming not.
View Quote
Only the trials versions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#46]
I am curious to know if we know how many are being supplied. CD - do you have a ballpark?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:20:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
I am curious to know if we know how many are being supplied. CD - do you have a ballpark?
View Quote
I see how it is. Get YouTube famous then ditch us.

Sweet SAW BTW

I would guess its prob too early to know on the question, but In case you missed it CD did say there is a 10.3 variant coming too. Which is fawesome as hell
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:41:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#48]
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
View Quote
I have heard how many USASOC first purchase is.  Enough to outfit the Ranger battalions but not enough for 2 SF Groups

CD
(you did ask for a ballpark)
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:35:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 871JZ] [#49]
What's the difference between old SF4P and new SF4P? Wasn't aware a change happened
View Quote
This. Aside from that one commercial SF 4 prong with the notches cut at the ends of each prong, I've never heard of or seen any other 4P.

I'm assuming they went back to gov't profile because of the longer mid-length gas? A SOCOM profiled mid-length would be heavy as shit. I still think that gov't is a shit profile. Like we were discussing in the Block II thread, a constant taper would be much better than gov't.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#50]

I see how it is. Get YouTube famous then ditch us.

Sweet SAW BTW

I would guess its prob too early to know on the question, but In case you missed it CD did say there is a 10.3 variant coming too. Which is fawesome as hell
View Quote
Link??
Page / 263
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top