Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2017 6:50:46 PM EDT
I have an older KAC sr-15 m4 upper with the a2 style front sight post gas block. I wanted to replace it with a low profile gas block, so I ordered a troy and a pri ( for 2 builds I have going on ).  Both of the new low profile gas blocks will not fit on the m4 barrel without some good force. So I took the fsb that was pinned on the knights barrel and slid it on some extra barrels I have and it goes on and has a bit of back and forth play.

I grabbed the caliper but the battery is dead ( get a new 1 tomorrow). The gas bocks I bought are .750, did KAC purposely make their barrel diameter a little bigger than the .750?   I have had tight fitting gas blocks that go on by twisting back and forth, but will need to be hammered on pretty good to go on ( which I don't want to do to ruin anything)....  

I sent KAC an email, waiting to hear back.

thanks
steve
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You want the gas block to be a good snug fit for a better gas seal.   Cool the barrel and heat up the gas block and it should go right on.

I'd consider maybe getting a couple dust-off cans and turning them upside down and chilling the barrel with them, then see if the
block goes on a little more easily.  It should.

I'd reject a gas block that has any play in it when it's placed in position on the barrel.  That's just TOO loose.

Snug is the minimum.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are you doing this to a KAC upper?  Please sell the upper/rifle and buy another PSA upper.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Go waste someone else's time
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The older (before the Mod 2 gas system) guns that utilized LPGBs had them pressed on.  

My guess is they used a slightly larger diameter on the barrel’s gas block seat to facilitate that process and kept that consistent with all their barrels, even if they didn’t use a press on GB.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry we couldn't work out a deal.  All on my end,  this guy is a great EE seller.

IIRC from my questioning of his upper in the EE, I believe he is doing this because the original FSB was cut down by a previous owner.

GL w/ your issue op
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a knights URX II 10 3/4" rail I am installing, so I need to switch it over to a low profile gas block.  Knights must do their sizing different, If you drag your thumbnail up barrel, you can feel a lip about 1 1/2"-2" before where the gas block would sit. Its definitely a hair over the .750 diameter. and the a2 post gas block that came from factory goes right on ( both made to be oversized I guess).

I took 1 of the low profile block I have and slid it on till it got very tight, took a piece of delrin I have for a nice punch and can hit the gas block to go on perfect as well as being lined up perfect. but it takes a few pretty good whacks with a hammer on the plastic punch. I just was wondering if this is normal for the older knights barrels, or who knows.....

Will it cause any issues with the low profile gas block being so snug and needing to be hammered in place?  gas holes lined up perfect as I can feel air through the gas tube if I plug 1 side of the barrel. I will pick up a battery first thing in the morning so I can mic it up and see the actual size differences. I can always go back to the a2 post if needed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
You could consider chopping the already "hacked up" A2 fsb down to fit as a low profile gas block.  May take a little more time, but if you liked pinned gas blocks I have read of people doing this.

Btw that upper with the new rail combo shpuld look great.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a knights URX II 10 3/4" rail I am installing, so I need to switch it over to a low profile gas block.  Knights must do their sizing different, If you drag your thumbnail up barrel, you can feel a lip about 1 1/2"-2" before where the gas block would sit. Its definitely a hair over the .750 diameter. and the a2 post gas block that came from factory goes right on ( both made to be oversized I guess).

I took 1 of the low profile block I have and slid it on till it got very tight, took a piece of delrin I have for a nice punch and can hit the gas block to go on perfect as well as being lined up perfect. but it takes a few pretty good whacks with a hammer on the plastic punch. I just was wondering if this is normal for the older knights barrels, or who knows.....

Will it cause any issues with the low profile gas block being so snug and needing to be hammered in place?  gas holes lined up perfect as I can feel air through the gas tube if I plug 1 side of the barrel. I will pick up a battery first thing in the morning so I can mic it up and see the actual size differences. I can always go back to the a2 post if needed.
View Quote
No, the gas block being tight isn’t going to hurt anything.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No, the gas block being tight isn’t going to hurt anything.
View Quote
thank you.....

**** just got back with and was able to mic it......

-- Knights barrel is .750  where the gas block should be
-- my noveske spr stainless 18" barrel is right at .746

-- knights a2 sight is .750
-- troy low profile gas block is .743
--pri gas block is .745
--dpms gas block ( .950 version ) is .945

I guess just knights is dead on, and all the gas blocks are a hair under......

Thanks guys,
I appreciate it...

Steve
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top