User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Bottom Line:
Should I buy the Franklin BFS III vs Fostech Echo II   ????

Thanks in advance. 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the BFS III because it was cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 11:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you are running a blowback AR (9mm AR), I feel the Franklin Armory BFS III is the better choice, cheaper, no reports of breakage, it WORKS!

But if you need to run a blowback AR which requires a heavy (slower) carrier the Fostech Echo II is probably your only choice or you will be out running the carrier. But the Echo has several reports of breakage and is quite a bit higher priced than what you can purchase the BFS III for.
View Quote
Parts breakage is overblown. However, the stock BFS3 is better than the stock echo. Replace the springs and the opposite is true.

Echo with aftermarket springs>BFS3>>>>>>stock echo
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I ran my DPMS 22 upper yesterday with CCI mini mag and ran several mags flawlessly.  Going back tomorrow to run some more!!!

I got my middy AR to hammer follow for the first time in 300+ rounds.  Switched to the extra power spring (from the medium) and haven't had any since.  My original plan was to get a 16 carbine upper and lightweight BCG as a dedicated set up...but it has ran so well in my 16 middy so far I may just save the $ for ammo.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:20:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bottom Line:
Should I buy the Franklin BFS III vs Fostech Echo II   ????

Thanks in advance. 
View Quote
If I could only have 1....I would get the BFSIII and have a dedicated set up to ensure no hammer follow.  I like the simple design without lots of extra parts and springs, seems like it will hold up better, uses a standard hammer. The echo stubby trigger annoys me....and the fact you have to pull past the break of the first shot....idk...I just like the BFS better....assuming the gun is tuned so no hammer follow.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 1:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Long creep before the break. Guesstimating about 5lb pull.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#9]
200 rounds of 22 today at the range.  Even the federal value pack was running smooth today.  I have been having more fun with this and my 22 upper.  A mag dump in the AR is fun don't get me wrong....but the 22 I am getting rounds off so fast and staying on target just mag after mag.  I ordered a 50 round 22 drum today, can't wait!
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]
What are the pull weights on the BFS3?

Also can I install a Taylor tactical trigger adjustment screw kit to remove some of the take up out of the trigger and not have issues?

Also did they raise their price recently. Last I remember they were like $379 and now they are $429. $50 increase and no difference in parts or generation change?

I'm asking questions as I have a fostech echo and I'm debating on getting another or getting a bfs3. I'm wanting to build something that can fire really fast. The echo leaves something to be desired.

Has anyone here installed one of these in an ar10 308? I have an ar10 and I'm thinking about slapping one in it or just purchasing the HK version as I have a century c308.

Last question, what seems to be the optimal setup to run 100% reliable in a 16 or 20 inch barrel? Does it run faster if I put in a light weight bolt carrier group?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I looked at the 2a armament bolt carrier group and it says 5.95 ounces assembled @ $439. I looked at the aim surplus carrier and its 8.9 ounces @ $109. A colt m16 bolt carrier group is 11.5 ounces.

The 2a is pricey so if I opted for the aim carrier and should I run a buffer weight with all the weights removed and let that thing rip insanely fast?

Does anyone have answers to my other questions I put in my previous post? I'm still curious about installing in an ar10 and putting in a take up adjustment screw kit that removes the slack in the trigger. I think it might make it faster since I'm pulling and releasing in a shorter distance.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I looked at the 2a armament bolt carrier group and it says 5.95 ounces assembled @ $439. I looked at the aim surplus carrier and its 8.9 ounces @ $109. A colt m16 bolt carrier group is 11.5 ounces.

The 2a is pricey so if I opted for the aim carrier and should I run a buffer weight with all the weights removed and let that thing rip insanely fast?

Does anyone have answers to my other questions I put in my previous post? I'm still curious about installing in an ar10 and putting in a take up adjustment screw kit that removes the slack in the trigger. I think it might make it faster since I'm pulling and releasing in a shorter distance.
View Quote
I've never shot a 308 AR but that sounds extremely unpleasant.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've never shot a 308 AR but that sounds extremely unpleasant.
View Quote
I own an ar10 and a century c308. It's actually quite pleasant with a proper muzzle brake.

What's unpleasant is when your running a standard A2 flash hider with a standard A2 butt stock. That f**ker kicked like a mule and after 40 rounds my shoulder felt like mashed hamburger meat. I replaced the stock with a luth AR stock, installed an SD tactical muzzle brake and put in a different trigger kit and it was like a roaring lion going down to a purring kitten. Complete night and day difference.

The century c308 is easy to shoot because of the roller lock system and the chevron muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What are the pull weights on the BFS3?

Also can I install a Taylor tactical trigger adjustment screw kit to remove some of the take up out of the trigger and not have issues?

Also did they raise their price recently. Last I remember they were like $379 and now they are $429. $50 increase and no difference in parts or generation change?

I'm asking questions as I have a fostech echo and I'm debating on getting another or getting a bfs3. I'm wanting to build something that can fire really fast. The echo leaves something to be desired.

Has anyone here installed one of these in an ar10 308? I have an ar10 and I'm thinking about slapping one in it or just purchasing the HK version as I have a century c308.

Last question, what seems to be the optimal setup to run 100% reliable in a 16 or 20 inch barrel? Does it run faster if I put in a light weight bolt carrier group?
View Quote
Price for BFSIII has been $430 since they released it last year. Not counting sales, of course. 

For me, with carbine or mid-length gas systems, I had the best results running an AIM Surplus LW carrier. With my rifle length upper, it ran great with a M16 cut carrier. 
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I paid $339.00 shipped on eBay. An East Coast pawn shop had it NIB.
View Quote
All the ones on eBay are $600 now.  I guess the sellers are trying to jump on the slidefire train.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, there's a 2 month wait now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The price was 379 or 389 the day after the shooting on their site.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine was $367 on EBay immediately after the shooting.   A few days earlier there were some listed at $329 free ship.  I was considering trying a Fostech instead of another BFS3 when I saw those.  All of mine have been in the $375 range but I know members here have found some really good deals on them at times.  I just prefer EBay since I know they are in stock and will ship fast.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Mine was $367 on EBay immediately after the shooting.   A few days earlier there were some listed at $329 free ship.  I was considering trying a Fostech instead of another BFS3 when I saw those.  All of mine have been in the $375 range but I know members here have found some really good deals on them at times.  I just prefer EBay since I know they are in stock and will ship fast.
View Quote
The e-bay starting bids are $450 now, and buy now prices are $5-600.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The e-bay starting bids are $450 now, and buy now prices are $5-600.
View Quote
Last time I looked a couple of days ago there were two for sale, both used, and both bidding over $700
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The price was 379 or 389 the day after the shooting on their site.
View Quote
I knew I wasn't wrong, it was raised recently. It used to be high and then they lowered it. The shooting happened and then bam they raised the price $50 each unit and now they are getting hammered with orders. About a month ago it was $379 and I was going to order it then but I procrastinated.

I want to order one but it's almost hard to support a company who is gouging the customers to take advantage of the situation but I almost have no choice. Fostech or FA and I already have a fostech so it may be FA time now. Ugh.......it's like cheaper than dirt all over again.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:11:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't know if it's been asked but Google didn't yield an answer. Did you ever get back a final approval letter after making the "nuanced" changes the ATF required?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Yay this last one installed smooth as silk and works correctly with zero fiddling in a new Spikes lower!!!  I see they have changed the packaging since my last order and now is a blister pack instead of a box.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:38:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yay this last one installed smooth as silk and works correctly with zero fiddling in a new Spikes lower!!!  I see they have changed the packaging since my last order and now is a blister pack instead of a box.
View Quote
Did your trigger come with lube?

I got the blister pack version. The paperwork says it includes a tube of lube, but nothing in the package.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I knew I wasn't wrong, it was raised recently. It used to be high and then they lowered it. Its the free market at work. At least they only raised it to the original price and not some outrageous amount. Honestly I can understand them raising it to the original price. They have a lot to lose and possibly little time to make a profit on their product. Nothing more than supply and demand at work.
The shooting happened and then bam they raised the price $50 each unit and now they are getting hammered with orders. About a month ago it was $379 and I was going to order it then but I procrastinated.

I want to order one but it's almost hard to support a company who is gouging the customers to take advantage of the situation but I almost have no choice. Fostech or FA and I already have a fostech so it may be FA time now. Ugh.......it's like cheaper than dirt all over again.
View Quote
Its the free market at work. At least they only raised it to the original price and not some outrageous amount. Honestly I can understand them raising it to the original price. They have a lot to lose and possibly little time to make a profit on their product. Nothing more than supply and demand at work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't know if it's been asked but Google didn't yield an answer. Did you ever get back a final approval letter after making the "nuanced" changes the ATF required?
View Quote
My understanding is they have one atf approval letter for the old gen II design but nothing for the new design. The letter they do have they will not release. I have no idea why FA will not release it. The only released ATF letter is for the fostech echo but even that letter is not for new echo design with the hammer lock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I got the blister pack version. The paperwork says it includes a tube of lube, but nothing in the package.
View Quote
Yes it came with lube although I have several tubes still from previous purchases.  One trigger I used Mobil One (my goto gun lube) because it was very gritty from the factory.  I took it apart, cleaned it, reassembled, oiled with Mobil one, worked the parts back and forth many times and it smoothed up and works great.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Just got an email from the vender on EBay I purchased from.  EBay is not allowing these to be sold now so look elsewhere while you can still get them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes it came with lube although I have several tubes still from previous purchases.  One trigger I used Mobil One (my goto gun lube) because it was very gritty from the factory.  I took it apart, cleaned it, reassembled, oiled with Mobil one, worked the parts back and forth many times and it smoothed up and works great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine was blister pack.  No lube.

On a side note....I got a faxon lightweight carrier today.  I have not had hammer follow using the high power spring....but I also didnt like having to use it....maybe its just me but it made my recoil feel sharper.  So next range trip I will test the faxon with medium spring and carbine buffer.  Also got a 60 round Magpul drum so I can really put it to the test.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My understanding is they have one atf approval letter for the old gen II design but nothing for the new design. The letter they do have they will not release. I have no idea why FA will not release it. The only released ATF letter is for the fostech echo but even that letter is not for new echo design with the hammer lock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone is banking on the precedence set by the first letter.  Kind of like with pistol braces....one company got the letter....many other companies have same type product but no specific letter.  Example would be the shockwave.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Mine was blister pack.  No lube.

On a side note....I got a faxon lightweight carrier today.  I have not had hammer follow using the high power spring....but I also didnt like having to use it....maybe its just me but it made my recoil feel sharper.  So next range trip I will test the faxon with medium spring and carbine buffer.  Also got a 60 round Magpul drum so I can really put it to the test.
View Quote
Have you tried it with your previously installed buffer spring? They say that sometimes the spring in your gun is good enough, so it's worth trying if you have the time.

I have a A5 buffer system, so I need rifle length springs. I'm not sure if the included springs will work properly, but again, I haven't tried.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:39:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Everyone is banking on the precedence set by the first letter.  Kind of like with pistol braces....one company got the letter....many other companies have same type product but no specific letter.  Example would be the shockwave.
View Quote
Yup but for the life of me I have no idea why Franklin Armory will not release their letter
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Just got an email from the vender on EBay I purchased from.  EBay is not allowing these to be sold now so look elsewhere while you can still get them.
View Quote
EBay is still selling them. I brought a few from that vendor for $359 the day after the shooting. He's asking for $409 now. I think the prices of these will go back down in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#36]
So, while not absolutely necessary, the consensus is to run the BFS with a LW carrier?  Rounds per minute actually improve as well I presume?  Anyone actually measured full weight carrier vs the light weight rpm's?  Looks like HB Guns youtube video that the sbr was running like a champ with a standard setup.  On the fence whether to buy a new BCG up front or try it out first.  May go in a 10.5" setup or the 16 midlength.  Probably will buy a second for both options when they come back down in pricing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So, while not absolutely necessary, the consensus is to run the BFS with a LW carrier?  Rounds per minute actually improve as well I presume?  Anyone actually measured full weight carrier vs the light weight rpm's?  Looks like HB Guns youtube video that the sbr was running like a champ with a standard setup.  On the fence whether to buy a new BCG up front or try it out first.  May go in a 10.5" setup or the 16 midlength.  Probably will buy a second for both options when they come back down in pricing.
View Quote
I would try it out first, save yourself possibly $100-120. 

For me, I had the best success with a LW (AIM) BCG with carbine and middy uppers. With rifle length, standard M16 did great. This was all with a carbine stock/buffer setup. 

IIRC, the BFS3 is supposed to run really well with an A2 stock/buffer setup. I never tried mine with one. 
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#39]
After thinking about it and reading comparisons vs the Echo, I went ahead and ordered a BFS Gen 3.

I noticed some people seem to be fine and need no changes to their rifle and other people have to tune their rifles. Do you guys think I will have to make any changes totune my setup? That way I can get the parts on order and the upper functioning correctly before the bfs trigger show up.

Setup: XM177 Style Upper
11.5" Ballistic Advantage Nitride Barrel
A2 FSB (non adjustable) with 0.073" gas port
Toolcraft BCG: 9.5oz Carrier, 11.5oz total weight
3.0oz Carbine Buffer
AAC 762SDN6 Silencer (when suppressed)
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
After thinking about it and reading comparisons vs the Echo, I went ahead and ordered a BFS Gen 3.

I noticed some people seem to be fine and need no changes to their rifle and other people have to tune their rifles. Do you guys think I will have to make any changes totune my setup? That way I can get the parts on order and the upper functioning correctly before the bfs trigger show up.

3.0oz Carbine Buffer
View Quote
I would say yes. I forsee a LW carrier in your future
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll throw in my 2 cents on why I decided to order another BFS3 instead of trying out the new Fostech as I was intending.  After reading the Fostech  thread it seems several are having clearance issues with the BCG still even though the newer version is not suppose to need a bolt with the additional machining.  If memory serves correct the original version actually included a new BCG that had that machining done.  Also the fact that I like to run 22lr using original Ceiner conversions kits that are running near flawlessly with the BFS3 just made the decision a no brainer for me.  Not to mention considerably lower price at least before this last madman incident.  The only issue I currently have is with my 9mm guns and hammer follow and that is just an issue of tuning with the right recoil spring i'm certain.  Just have not worked with these guns since the first couple of range sessions last year.  5.56 and 22lr are problem free!  I'm actually shocked how well the conversion kits are running just using Federal bulk pack ammo and CMMG 25 round mags.  I might have one ftf or fte in 10 mags of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even with that lightweight standard carbine buffer?
(I'm actually surprised it didn't already have a H1/H2/H3 in it).

I understand that the LW carrier is to increase the overall cyclic rate - reducing hammer follow.
Would you suggest that I migrate to an adjustable gas block? Right now I have an A2 FSB with wide open 0.073" barrel port.
I'm worried that a LW carrier with non-adj gas will batter the gun to death when shooting suppressed. Or is this fear unfounded?

I think about the only option to keep the standard FSB look and have adjustability is JPs Adjustable front Sight Base.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3.0oz Carbine Buffer
+1
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I have an echo on the way...but I feel like I will wish I just got another bfsiii.

I didn't need the lightweight carrier, but I just didn't like having to use the high power spring...I didn't like how hard I had to pull to charge it....and recoil felt :/ sharp and weird.

The faxon is sexy though....and I ditched the sticker

Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#46]
What's the difference between the blue and white hammer springs?  Supposedly one is stronger?  Has anyone tried both?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What's the difference between the blue and white hammer springs?  Supposedly one is stronger?  Has anyone tried both?
View Quote
The blue is lighter and they also include a standard hammer spring.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Even with that lightweight standard carbine buffer?
(I'm actually surprised it didn't already have a H1/H2/H3 in it).

I understand that the LW carrier is to increase the overall cyclic rate - reducing hammer follow.
Would you suggest that I migrate to an adjustable gas block? Right now I have an A2 FSB with wide open 0.073" barrel port.
I'm worried that a LW carrier with non-adj gas will batter the gun to death when shooting suppressed. Or is this fear unfounded?

I think about the only option to keep the standard FSB look and have adjustability is JPs Adjustable front Sight Base.
View Quote
before you go and do an adjustable gas block, or LW carrier see how it runs as is.  I run a LW Ti carrier with a carbine weight buffer in my blackout build with the BFS III. I have an adjustable gas block but all of these started with the BFS II which was more problematic. I have mine setup so it will run suppressed and unsurpressed without hammer follow. Then again I'm screwing with blackout and not 556. I would start with a spring, LW carrier, then buffer, then adjustable gas block, if hammer follow is an issue.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#49]
What buffer springs do these come with? I thought they came with one stiffer spring but the one I saw appeared to have 2 buffer springs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#50]
As for action springs, I highly recommend "Sprinco" brand. Over in varying weights and supposedly incredibly long lasting. I've had great luck with them in a variety of uses.
Page / 27
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top