BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/19/2016 3:36:53 PM EDT
Anyone know what diameter a gas port on 16" carbine length barrel should be? Google says minimum .063 but wanted to double check with the hive.

Just tested out the latest build and I think its undergassed. Won't lock back on empty and short stroking. Standard carbine buffer, spikes bcg, gas port is properly lined up, chamber is clean. So I pull the gas block and measure the port and its .050-.053 depending on the measurement. Barrel is 5.56 Daniel defense chrome lined 16" m4 profile carbine length.  Is this the issue? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't remember what the minimum is, but I have a couple PSA premiums that the gas ports was .073 and an ESS Solutions 16" HBAR barrel that I built a rifle from, with a gas port that was also .073.

By chance did you call DD to see if they made a mistake and problems you're having with the port diameter of their barrel?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't remember what the minimum is, but I have a couple PSA premiums that the gas ports was .073 and an ESS Solutions 16" HBAR barrel that I built a rifle from, with a gas port that was also .073.

By chance did you call DD to see if they made a mistake and problems you're having with the port diameter of their barrel?
View Quote

Have not called them yet as I just discovered this today and its the weekend. I was hoping for a quick fix to get it shooting for tomorrow. Will be calling them monday but thought someone here might have an idea what size it is supposed to be. I have an adjustable gas block I could try but not sure if it would do any more good than the fixed gas block I have on there now that always seems to let plenty of gas through.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The spec sheet on my new Lilja 16.5" M4 barrel with carbine gas port shows .080".  It cycles just fine.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt 14.5 and 16" are .062" IIRC.

William
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone know if a .050 gas block would be small enough to be causing this problem? I can't think of what else might be causing it. Trying an adjustable block turned all the way open here in a bit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone know what diameter a gas port on 16" carbine length barrel should be? Google says minimum .063 but wanted to double check with the hive.

Just tested out the latest build and I think its undergassed. Won't lock back on empty and short stroking. Standard carbine buffer, spikes bcg, gas port is properly lined up, chamber is clean. So I pull the gas block and measure the port and its .050-.053 depending on the measurement. Barrel is 5.56 Daniel defense chrome lined 16" m4 profile carbine length.  Is this the issue? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

What ammo?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What ammo?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What ammo?

Tried about 4 different factory 5.56 loads in 55 and 63 grain.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone know if a .050 gas block would be small enough to be causing this problem? I can't think of what else might be causing it. Trying an adjustable block turned all the way open here in a bit.
View Quote

Are you measuring the port or the block? Usually, gas block openings are substantially larger than the port, to allow for slight misalignment without limiting gas. If your port is 0.053", yes, that might be borderline. The smallest port in any of my 16's is right at 0.060", and it's *really* soft-shooting, even with near-maximum 5.56 hand loads. You might - if you haven't already - confirm the bolt's gas rings are installed and pass the drop test, and check gas key screws for tightness.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you measuring the port or the block? Usually, gas block openings are substantially larger than the port, to allow for slight misalignment without limiting gas. If your port is 0.053", yes, that might be borderline. The smallest port in any of my 16's is right at 0.060", and it's *really* soft-shooting, even with near-maximum 5.56 hand loads. You might - if you haven't already - confirm the bolt's gas rings are installed and pass the drop test, and check gas key screws for tightness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Measured the port. The gas block hole is much bigger and it was lined up from the impressions it left in the barrel. I just threw an adjustable block turned all the way up on it and it runs fine now. So I guess that will have to be the fix
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Measured the port. The gas block hole is much bigger and it was lined up from the impressions it left in the barrel. I just threw an adjustable block turned all the way up on it and it runs fine now. So I guess that will have to be the fix
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad you found a solution, Wonder what's wrong with that GB you took off?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good question. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it visually. I think that gas port on the barrel is just on the small slide and perhaps the gas block is on the small size too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#12]
What spring and buffer do you have in there?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Something was amiss before you changed the gas block. If the old gas block was indeed aligned properly as you say then either it was leaking around the barrel or the gas tube or maybe a misalignment of the gas tube causing dragging in the gas key. An adjustable gas block cannot give you more gas than the gas post is able to deliver, so just installing it and turning it up all the way is not what fixed it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#14]
.058-.063. Anything over .063 is too big. .080 is dumb motherfucker sizing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I guess the mutherfucking  United States Navy, Naval Surface Warfare Center - Crane, is wrong then, because that is the spec size for the Seal Recon  carbine barrel they had Lilja make and it runs extremely well, sir at .080".  What's your problem with a precision barrel made by one of the best barrel makers in the world for a very elite unit? They are the government contract supplier.  Being a bit overgassed avoids the very problem faced by OP or from weak low pressure ammo that might be encountered.

Milspec for a 16" barrel with .750" diameter at the gas port is actually .070" minimum to .086" maximum.

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

.080 is crazy for a range shooter, I would have an adjustable gas block on that, stat.

There are plenty of arguments like; who spec'd it, EOTWAWKI, low pressure ammo, etc and I get all that, if you are so inclined, but damn that is going to be some excessive BCG speed, and hard on a bolt and a cam pin.  There is no need to have that much pressure for a range rifle.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody know what ammo was issue for suppressed-only action by those users?
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What spring and buffer do you have in there?
View Quote

Standard carbine buffer and spring
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 10:52:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Something was amiss before you changed the gas block. If the old gas block was indeed aligned properly as you say then either it was leaking around the barrel or the gas tube or maybe a misalignment of the gas tube causing dragging in the gas key. An adjustable gas block cannot give you more gas than the gas post is able to deliver, so just installing it and turning it up all the way is not what fixed it.
View Quote

My thoughts as well. But the tube is aligned. Couldn't see any evidence of a gas leak but that could have been happening. Block was definetly aligned to the port
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Well, I guess the mutherfucking  United States Navy, Naval Surface Warfare Center - Crane, is wrong then, because that is the spec size for the Seal Recon  carbine barrel they had Lilja make and it runs extremely well, sir at .080".  What's your problem with a precision barrel made by one of the best barrel makers in the world for a very elite unit? They are the government contract supplier.  Being a bit overgassed avoids the very problem faced by OP or from weak low pressure ammo that might be encountered.

Milspec for a 16" barrel with .750" diameter at the gas port is actually .070" minimum to .086" maximum.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Screenshot_2016-03-10-21-57-14_zps9j4fcinw.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Screenshot_2016-03-10-21-57-14_zps9j4fcinw.png

great post
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Mil-spec is for 5.56-spec ammo loads; civilian .223 loads will spec a different port size.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Mil-spec is for 5.56-spec ammo loads; civilian .223 loads will spec a different port size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They benefit from the larger port if they produce lower pressure.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:12:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup  
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you know so much, get me the number for the guy who species that port and I'll tell him he's a dumbass on Monday. .060 will run commercial ammunition in 16 carbine all day long and service ammo. You can expect parts failures at reduced intervals from that massive port. For reference, it is lager than the gas port on a Crane 10.3" barrel. It's much larger than a 14.5" M4, which is already gassed properly for any weather conditions and ammunition that has lower pressure than the milspec would call for. With a can on it, it is nearly double the diameter required to run military ammo. DOUBLE.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Anybody know what ammo was issue for suppressed-only action by those users?
View Quote

As I understand it there was no subsonic loads available then to cycle the action in any set up, if that's what you're suggesting.

Also, if that is what you are suggesting, everyone other than you and the Crane fanbois are talking about something else.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lilja supplied the blank only. Compass lake then chambered and finished the blank so if you could show a compass lake spec i would be more inclined to trust that as they would have chamber and port specs. It's not like there is some secret sauce involved and there would be nothing but negatives with a gas port that large, especially a 16" carbine length.

.08 wouldn't be 'a bit' overgassed, it'd be obscenely overgassed. A bit overgassed can help in certain conditions. Massively overgassed and you go in the wrong direction reliability wise, plus the magazine can't push the next round up fast enough.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lilja supplied the blank only. Compass lake then chambered and finished the blank so if you could show a compass lake spec i would be more inclined to trust that as they would have chamber and port specs. It's not like there is some secret sauce involved and there would be nothing but negatives with a gas port that large, especially a 16" carbine length.   .08 wouldn't be 'a bit' overgassed, it'd be obscenely overgassed. A bit overgassed can help in certain conditions. Massively overgassed and you go in the wrong direction reliability wise, plus the magazine can't push the next round up fast enough.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lilja supplied the blank only. Compass lake then chambered and finished the blank so if you could show a compass lake spec i would be more inclined to trust that as they would have chamber and port specs. It's not like there is some secret sauce involved and there would be nothing but negatives with a gas port that large, especially a 16" carbine length.   .08 wouldn't be 'a bit' overgassed, it'd be obscenely overgassed. A bit overgassed can help in certain conditions. Massively overgassed and you go in the wrong direction reliability wise, plus the magazine can't push the next round up fast enough.

I guess you know that the .063" spec is for a .625" diameter gas block and the larger size is for .750" gas block, right?  The diameter of the barrel affects the function of the port because of the distance from port to the gas tube is different.  Below is a commonly cited reference chart.  Note the difference in port size depending on gas block diameter.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I guess you know that the .063" spec is for a .625" diameter gas block and the larger size is for .750" gas block, right?  The diameter of the barrel affects the function of the port because of the distance from port to the gas tube is different.  Below is a commonly cited reference chart.  Note the difference in port size depending on gas block diameter.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/3639283889_ee25f9d8d7_o-3_zps8cz96ro3.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/3639283889_ee25f9d8d7_o-3_zps8cz96ro3.jpg

When you don't know what you don't know it is wise to keep an open mind.

The 16 inch barrels in your list are mid length gased not carbine length. Big difference.

An 0.080 port on a 16.5 barrel at carbine length is way over gassed.

Simply because there is a print out there in internet land does not mean anyone actually builds such a barrel.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Like the supposed Colt port sizing list that's going around, the numbers there start with outlandish and become more accurate as barrel lengths increase.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I wish I knew how big mine is on my RRA M4gery barrel.  It seems pretty overgasses.  I'm a bit concerned about breaking parts.  I gotta get an H2 buffer in there.  I had a 9mm buffer and it ran everything, and then I found out about bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The 16 inch barrels in your list are mid length gased not carbine length. Big difference.

Simply because there is a print out there in internet land does not mean anyone actually builds such a barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me those on the chart are midlength gassed.  The list has been around a long time and predates most if not all midlength barrel manufacturers.  The differences are gas block diameter.  And the 8.375" barrel endvto port is carbine spec, not midlength. Show me the Lilja barrel is midlength.  Neither is.  Obstenance without facts is not a virtue.   My mind very open and supported repeatedly by independent fact sources.  Can you say the same?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Who made your chart?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who made your chart?
View Quote

It's not mine. It is a common resource appearing multiple times here and other AR forums for many years and is a compendium from barrel makers.  Where is yours?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's not mine. It is a common resource appearing multiple times here and other AR forums for many years and is a compendium from barrel makers.  Where is yours?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who made your chart?

Handwritten by a friend that did R&D on port sizing as a contractor to manufacturers. Want to buy it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Show me those on the chart are midlength gassed.  The list has been around a long time and predates most if not all midlength barrel manufacturers.  The differences are gas block diameter.  And the 8.375" barrel endvto port is carbine spec, not midlength. Show me the Lilja barrel is midlength.  Neither is.  Obstenance without facts is not a virtue.   My mind very open and supported repeatedly by independent fact sources.  Can you say the same?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The part where it allows a 0.086 port. That is for  16 inch mid length.

Mil Spec for the 14.5 inch is 0.063. Fact.

Adding 1.5 inches of barrel and opening the port 0.023 is going to be grossly over gas.

Your chart is all jacked up.

What gas system has the port 8.375 from the muzzle on a 14.5 inch barrel?

Where do you find a gas block for a 0.825 journal?

Why is there 0.016" of tolerance for the 0.750 16 incher and 14.5 incher but only 0.003 for the 0.750 20 incher?

Some of us have drilled a gas port or 2 and know what size a carbine gassed 16 incher need to be to function properly. Hint 0.080 is going to be way over gassed.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll trust Lilja and NSWC crane on my 16" Recon barrel.  It works flawlessly.  If you wanted to drill a million smaller size holes and keep secret lists ("want to buy it" from another poster)  have at it.  I supplied third party corroboration for the .080" port size on my .750 gas block 16.5 carbine location barrel from morevtgan ine public source.   All I'm hearing is "believe me, 'cause I know" .  Have at it.  I'm sure it shoots softer and you want to promote middies for financial reasons, or for 3 Gun purchasers or such.  I'll go with Crane, Lilja,  and reliabity for any ammo I might have to shoot including lower velocity crap if the time comes and know it will cycle.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:27:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I wish I knew how big mine is on my RRA M4gery barrel.  It seems pretty overgasses.  I'm a bit concerned about breaking parts.  I gotta get an H2 buffer in there.  I had a 9mm buffer and it ran everything, and then I found out about bolt bounce.
View Quote

I wonder if they increased the size. I have one that short strokes w/ an H2, shoots really smooth w/ H buffer. I think I got mine in 2009. I have it apart at the moment, gonna measure it tomorrow.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll trust Lilja and NSWC crane on my 16" Recon barrel.  It works flawlessly.  If you wanted to drill a million smaller size holes and keep secret lists ("want to buy it" from another poster)  have at it.  I supplied third party corroboration for the .080" port size on my .750 gas block 16.5 carbine location barrel from morevtgan ine public source.   All I'm hearing is "believe me, 'cause I know" .  Have at it.  I'm sure it shoots softer and you want to promote middies for financial reasons, or for 3 Gun purchasers or such.  I'll go with Crane, Lilja,  and reliabity for any ammo I might have to shoot including lower velocity crap if the time comes and know it will cycle.
View Quote

Teener - slide off your gas block and use pin gauges to size your gas port.  

If it really is .080 you're trading short term reliability for long term reliability.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#39]
That chart has been floating around for years; and those in the know, know it's jacked up.

.080" is HUGE.  16" Colt 6920 barrels use .063" gas ports just like the 14.5" M4 barrels.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]
The hilarious part about your attitude is that you think Crane and Lilja know better than Colt, Daniel Defense and the Department of Defense as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Teener - slide off your gas block and use pin gauges to size your gas port.  You're in for a surprise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teener - slide off your gas block and use pin gauges to size your gas port.  You're in for a surprise.

You are saying my actual port is less than .080" per the Lilja spec sheet?  I admit I did not measure it before putting the block on.  I will do that.

In the interim, here is another corroborration of the larger port size from one of our forum moderators agreeing with my understand of recommended carbine port size on .750" port journals.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The hilarious part about your attitude is that you think Crane and Lilja know better than Colt, Daniel Defense and the Department of Defense as a whole.
View Quote

Show me DoD spec sheet  for 16" carbine.  Show me 16" csrbine spec sheet for Colt. Tic, toc. . . .
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You are saying my actual port is less than .080" per the Lilja spec sheet?  I admit I did not measure it before putting the block on.  I will do that.

In the interim, here is another corroborration of the larger port size from one of our forum moderators agreeing with my understand of recommended carbine port size on .750" port journals.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Screenshot_2016-03-20-21-42-37_zpsuoi49oig.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/r772/gbloss/Screenshot_2016-03-20-21-42-37_zpsuoi49oig.png

I edited my reply.

If it IS .080 (which is enormously overgassed), you're trading long term reliability for short term reliability - you're bolt will bear the brunt.

Red lining your car and dropping the clutch is a reliable way to get the car going too - until it's not.

You want ENOUGH gas.  Too much is bad.  .080 is too much.

Good luck with your ninja rifle and may your emotional investments pay off!
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Show me DoD spec sheet  for 16" carbine.  Show my 16" spec sheet for Colt. Tic, toc. . . .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Show me DoD spec sheet  for 16" carbine.  Show my 16" spec sheet for Colt. Tic, toc. . . .

Colt uses a .063" port on 6920s. If you think the gas port in a 16" gun needs to be larger than a 14.5 I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Circular reporting, he's parroting the same numbers off the chart.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I edited my reply.

If it IS .080 (which is enormously overgassed), you're trading long term reliability for short term reliability - you're bolt will bear the brunt.

Red lining your car and dropping the clutch is a reliable way to get the car going too - until it's not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I edited my reply.

I want to make sure I am hearing you correctly.  You are saying that this barrel on a rifle makes it a "ninja rifle"?  

Lilja Navy M4
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Colt uses a .063" port on 6920s. If you think the gas port in a 16" gun needs to be larger than a 14.5 I don't know what to tell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all?  That's what I thought.  Humm.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, the moderator is wrong too, like Lilja and like NSWC Crane?  What chart do you use and where is it published?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Show me DoD spec sheet  for 16" carbine.  Show me 16" csrbine spec sheet for Colt. Tic, toc. . . .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Show me where CRANE spec'd that size gas port. You're showing a drawing of a commercially available barrel from the company who supplied the BLANK. They didn't chamber them,  finish them or drill the gas port.

How many gas port sizes does Daniel Defense supply on their mk18 barrel? 2. One for the military and one for the commercial market. Guess which one has the gas port enlarged and is generally considered overgassed?

It's not the military version.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are sorta getting a pile on but there are well known industry standards for gas port sizes.

The mil spec for the 14.5 inch M-4 is 0.063. This results in a very reliable system that is biased to the over gas side for cold weather reliability.

Most 16 inch carbine gassed guns use the same size, 0.063, and are over gased to the point that long term parts wear starts to become an issue.

I don't believe Lilja is actually sending out 16.5 inch barrels with 0.080 ports. I think the end user is going to see rims being torn off from the early violent extraction.

If you actually own one of these barrels why don't you physically measure the port and let us know if in fact it matches that print.

Where are you coming up with any official spec from Crane?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top