BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2015 9:16:21 PM EDT
Went to remove my "brake" (ST Barking Spider) using the giselle reaction rod, so I could install a new handguard. The brake stood still and the barrel turned!

From the attached pictures, is the barrel suppose to be "drilled" for the index pin on the barrel extension to go into the barrel? (similar to doing a blind pin on a permanent muzzle attachment?)

IF the barrel should have been drilled, then this is not the case on this one. The barrel extension pin just sits on top of the barrel threads. It did not take much for the barrel/barrel extension to come loose.

This barrel theoretically has a "lifetime warranty", not even sure if I want a replacement. Having worked on more ARs than I can count, I have never had this happen. Guess there is a first for everything.

ETA: Before anyone asks, yes the Barking Spider did come out with minimal effort...after the fiasco above.

ETA:

Got the "barrel" back today, it was peened and "torqued"

This is the RMA sheet, returned with the explanation of what was done:

Picture of the peening done to the barrel/barrel extension, the red depicts the "peening" (hard to take with potato, but you can see the shadows of the dimples):

Better picture showing the peening process at work, green depicts metal displaced by the peening process:

And finally, a spot that shows  what I was trying to convey above, in better detail:

I guess the above is done to ensure the barrel extension will not come loose again...

In conclusion, THE FIRST AND LAST ITEM I'M BUYING FROM RADICAL FIREARMS. Lifetime warranty = BS warranty

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Radical?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
This is the 2nd time I've seen a barrel break loose of an extension this week.

The other was a S&W MOE midlength and the barrel extension did not fully get removed but you could twist the barrel from the extension about 1/4"

I'm not saying it was S&W's fault, because I don't know the conditions why it happened, but this isn't quite what I'd expect from either of these MFGs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheap barrel...this is what happens. Looks like an ICE or Radical Firearms...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This is why you hold / apply torque to the actual threaded parts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Technically the barrel, barrel extension and brake are threaded...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Who made it OP? Radical has had probably a dozen recently pop up now on this forum of the same thing happening. Let us know who's barrel that is so others don't have to suffer. (Especially if it would be their only gun)

Stuff like this needs to be known.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Radical?
View Quote

It is so...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who made it OP? Radical has had probably a dozen recently pop up now on this forum of the same thing happening. Let us know who's barrel that is so others don't have to suffer. (Especially if it would be their only gun)

View Quote

That sucks...see my previous reply
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The pin on the extension is only for indexing the barrel to the receiver via the corresponding slot in the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a feeling. I would never buy from them again. I am not exaggerating, a metric fuck ton have been popping up here. One dude had two break loose at once. I don't think they torque any of their extensions. Stay far the fuck away from Radical.

I consider them on the same level as ICE Arms.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The pin on the extension is only for indexing the barrel to the receiver via the corresponding slot in the receiver.
View Quote

So the reaction rod is garbage? Are all barrels set with a pin that rests on the threads, and the torque set on the barrel extension being higher than what SHOULD be placed on the muzzle device, is what keeps the barrel extension from coming loose? If this is the case, then the barrel extension on this barrel was not properly torqued.

I see two scenarios

1- Barrel extension pin should go into barrel, not sit on top of barrel threads -which the consensus seems to be this is not the case on AR barrels-
2- With a properly torqued barrel extension, even if the pin sits on top of the threads, the torque exerted when removing or installing a muzzle device should not allow the barrel extension to come loose.

From the limited replies, I am leaning towards scenario number two...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
The barrel extension pin does not or is suppose to go into the barrel itself.  Has your barrel been Nitrided?  If you nitride a barrel with the extension installed it will come loose.  I just talked to another vendor who sent 500 barrels back to the manufacturer that had been nitrided and the barrels unscrewed from the barrel extension with less than 25 foot lbs of torque applied.  The proper method is to have the barrel and extension nitrided separately and then torque the barrel extension to a minimum of 150 foot pounds and then install the extension pin and drill the gas port with a carbide drill bit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The barrel extension pin does not or is suppose to go into the barrel itself.  Has your barrel been Nitrided?  If you nitride a barrel with the extension installed it will come loose.  I just talked to another vendor who sent 500 barrels back to the manufacturer that had been nitrided and the barrels unscrewed from the barrel extension with less than 25 foot lbs of torque applied.  The proper method is to have the barrel and extension nitrided separately and then torque the barrel extension to a minimum of 150 foot pounds and then install the extension pin and drill the gas port with a carbide drill bit.
View Quote

This but cheaper manufactures tend to send the barrels off to be nitrided assembled which is what causes the issue.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:13:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
And if the barrel is Nitrided, it loosened when it was nitride with the extension on and was thermally cycled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
And if the barrel is Nitrided, it loosened when it was nitride with the extension on and was thermally cycled.

No, and I wish this misconception would stop being spouted endlessly.

There are a lot of companies that have them nitrided after installation without problem.

Inadequate torque during assembly is the problem, not nitriding.

If the barrel extension was somehow loosened during nitriding, it would be rotated away from TDC - a very obvious problem.

To answer the OP's question, the index pin DOES NOT hold the barrel extension on. It should not be inset into the barrel itself. Its sole function is to sit in the hole in the extension and key the barrel+barrel extension to the upper receiver.

The barrel extension is (supposed to be) held on by the 150 ft/lbs of torque that it's supposed to be torqued to. Obviously there are some manufacturers who are NOT doing that correctly.

Quoted:
This but cheaper manufactures tend to send the barrels off to be nitrided assembled which is what causes the issue.

Again, no. Literally thousands of barrels get nitrided with extensions on with no problems - as long as the barrel maker torques them on sufficiently, and the nitride shop has a clue as to what they are doing.

All kinds of parts and sometimes parts assemblies get nitrided for various applications, this is not something new it's a well established industrial process.

Removing a muzzle device with a reaction rod, yet the immediate pile-on is blaming nitride? The blame lies in some combination of inadequate torque on the part and improper tool for the job.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 5:59:22 AM EDT
[#18]
What kind of "preventative" measures can you do to ensure this issue doesn't happen prematurely during shooting/use?  Is it something that you can go in and check/tighten before taking it out to the range?  Never seen barrel extensions have issues like that, so just curious.

-Don
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACTUAL being the barrel and muzzle device. Not a threaded part attached to another threaded part.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#20]
You can unscrew an extension off a barrel using barrel blocks when you start going over the recommended 80' pounds. The reaction rod hold the extension and the nut tightens against the extension. Would guess the worst you could do installing a barrel is shear the pin off if the whole upper turned.
I use barrel blocks for muzzle devices and a reaction type rod to install a barrel. Can't standard receiver blocks because of the dreaded left cant sight proble.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What kind of "preventative" measures can you do to ensure this issue doesn't happen prematurely during shooting/use?  Is it something that you can go in and check/tighten before taking it out to the range?  Never seen barrel extensions have issues like that, so just curious.

-Don
View Quote

Not buy from radical. The barrel extension should be torqued at about 5x what a muzzle device is at. This should not happen. On a properly torqued extension you are more likely to sheer the pin off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#22]
yikes added to my do not buy from list
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#23]
It's been reported for years. Depending on the extension torque isn't good. The pin is NOT drilled into the barrel, just jammed into the threads alone, and depending on that isn't good,, either.

What we have are untrained owners attempting major work on the gun without the proper tools. You MUST clamp the barrel down to prevent rotating the barrel extension when removing the brake. Using a reaction rod to lock into the lugs means you will be stressing the torqued extension threads with the pictured results.

It's not limited to one maker, or even a production run of a particular barrel. Attempting to unscrew parts and expecting the 150 foot pound torque of the extension to hold tight is problematic. At "151" foot pounds the extension could well start moving while the brake may not.

I understand that membership and archived thread searches aren't available to every posting member, therefore those of us who've been here for years know - we've seen it before, and we will see it again. Don't depend on the extension torque to be your safety net, because it's not.

Clamp the barrel down or accept the risk.

ANY maker's barrel could well do that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Shitty barrel and wrong tool. After having the reaction rod for over a year, I am not finding a good use for it. Barrel and receiver vice blocks are the way to do it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shitty barrel and wrong tool. After having the reaction rod for over a year, I am not finding a good use for it. Barrel and receiver vice blocks are the way to do it.
View Quote

I've started to switch back to the blocks. However receiver blocks do not work with many billet upper receivers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

-Don
View All Quotes
Quoted:

-Don

Don't try to take the muzzle device off a Radical Firearms barrel and you won't have any problems
Quoted:

The reaction rod works fine when the barrel extension is torqued properly, which obviously Radical didn't and still doesn't do correctly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

-Don
View Quote

No. The only way to prevent this is to buy quality, not Radical.

The best price for quality would be Ballistic Advantage IMO
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, you chose your method poorly, rolled the dice and took your chances. It's been known that the risk is there. There have been multiple discussions about the risk.

Next time actually secure the barrel itself not the barrel extension.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:11:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Technically, the muzzle device is NOT threaded onto the barrel extension.  Holding one of the two parts you're trying to disassemble is usually the best bet.

With that said, a barrel extension's torque spec is something like 150 ft/lb, so it looks like the barrel wasn't properly built.

OP, I've seen several references that mention that the index pin isn't supposed to go all the way into the barrel's threads.  With a torque of 150 ft/lb, it shouldn't be needed.  Geissele (and my AR armoring instructor) says that the Reaction Rod should be fine for muzzle devices, but experiences like yours, I don't absolutely trust that barrel extension to stay put, so I use barrel vise jaws, particularly for messing with muzzle devices.  If my vise blocks don't fit the portion of the barrel I need to hold onto (which looks like the situation with your barrel), I can make workable jaws out of wood pretty darn quickly.

I would contact the vendor/maker of the barrel and ask them to make it right.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've started to switch back to the blocks. However receiver blocks do not work with many billet upper receivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DPMS Panther claw works with billet uppers. I've never had problems using that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Barrel is back, additional information provided in OP.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It sounds like they made good on their warranty. Too bad you had to use it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't call that warranty work, that's a scab.

You can't fix stupid.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#34]
If you simply re-torque a barrel extension once it comes loose it generally will never line up correctly with the gas port again as the gas post is supposed to be drilled after the extension is installed.  It looks like they peened the barrel (hit it with a hammer) to raise the metal somewhat so they could get the extension properly timed.  Not sure I'd be happy with that "fix."  I'd be curious to hear what Adco or any other shop thinks about that.  It was always my understanding that a barrel was pretty much junk once the extension came loose.  Hopefully they checked headspace after.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you simply re-torque a barrel extension once it comes loose it generally will never line up correctly with the gas port again as the gas post is supposed to be drilled after the extension is installed.  It looks like they peened the barrel (hit it with a hammer) to raise the metal somewhat so they could get the extension properly timed.  Not sure I'd be happy with that "fix."  I'd be curious to hear what Adco or any other shop thinks about that.  It was always my understanding that a barrel was pretty much junk once the extension came loose.  Hopefully they checked headspace after.
View Quote

Makes me wonder why they can't use some type of shim, although I imagine with that much torque, the shim may come apart.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#36]
So, all they did was displace some metal on the barrel wall where the extension mates up to so it acts as a crush washer and the pin lines up?  Or am I not understanding what they did?
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#37]
You get what you pay for?? OMG!!! SO SHOCKED!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So, all they did was displace some metal on the barrel wall where the extension mates up to so it acts as a crush washer and the pin lines up?  Or am I not understanding what they did?
View Quote

Thats exactly what it sounds like
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I guess the above is done to ensure the barrel extension will not come loose again...

In conclusion, THE FIRST AND LAST ITEM I'M BUYING FROM RADICAL FIREARMS. Lifetime warranty = BS warranty

********************************************************************************************

One observation and some thoughts on the actual issue:

Observation: Find a dictionary and look up the word warranty - NO ONE has a warranty where they claim "nothing will ever go wrong".  Not even St. Mark LaRue makes such a claim. You had a problem - Radical fixed it <----- definition of warranty.

1) Radical is not alone among manufacturers in TELLING people on their web site, "Do NOT use a reaction rod to remove the muzzle brake."  Radical has had their notice up for a YEAR now.

2) People are looking at torque specifications and equating them as being simple math. This is NOT the case. Newton may have said, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." but the actual translation of torque forces through ANY mechanical structure are FAR more complicated.

3) I have a Geissele reaction rod. I have successfully used it to remove and replace muzzle brakes on TWO Radical firearm barrels - even though Radical firearms advised against my doing so for the second one before I did it.

4) Will I do it again despite who the manufacturer of the barrel may be? Probably not.  After reading a number of these posts and going back and doing some mechanical analysis - I have reservations about the design of the reaction rod with respect the role it is being used for and the translation of forces that occurs.

5) The reaction rod is NOT the tool best suited for removal of muzzle brakes - it is much easier to use than a barrel clamp vise but does NOT equal it in terms of correct translation of forces being applied to barrel.

One question

It is not stated above - was a properly set torque wrench (25 ft-lbs) used to REMOVE the muzzle brake?

Using an adjustable wrench means you are putting your full faith on the idea that the muzzle brake was NOT over-torqued during installation.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 5:29:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Posting about it here certainly hurts them in that people who see this may very well decline to purchase from them, but let them know what you don't like AND why you don't like it.  Give them a chance.  If you feel you won't get satisfaction in a generic email, ask that you receive a reply from the owner or General Manager.
View Quote

This in spades.  It's one thing to say "have you ever seen a repair like this?" and another to say "look at what they're calling a repair!"  It's not done until you're satisfied with the product, or satisfied that they're not going to do anything more to make you happy.  Give them the chance to fix things to your satisfaction and THEN let us know what the outcome was.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Went to remove my "brake" (ST Barking Spider) using the giselle reaction rod, so I could install a new handguard. The brake stood still and the barrel turned!

From the attached pictures, is the barrel suppose to be "drilled" for the index pin on the barrel extension to go into the barrel? (similar to doing a blind pin on a permanent muzzle attachment?)

IF the barrel should have been drilled, then this is not the case on this one. The barrel extension pin just sits on top of the barrel threads. It did not take much for the barrel/barrel extension to come loose.

This barrel theoretically has a "lifetime warranty", not even sure if I want a replacement. Having worked on more ARs than I can count, I have never had this happen. Guess there is a first for everything.

http://s15.postimg.org/yhd8uez63/AR_Barrel_001a.jpg

http://s4.postimg.org/br6oyt419/AR_Barrel_001b.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/xiv055s9b/AR_Barrel_002.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/qaa3dagur/AR_Barrel_003.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/x0hxphsjx/AR_Barrel_004.jpg

ETA: Before anyone asks, yes the Barking Spider did come out with minimal effort...after the fiasco above.

http://s10.postimg.org/abi8i2hgp/BS_Removed.jpg

ETA:

Got the "barrel" back today, it was peened and "torqued"

This is the RMA sheet, returned with the explanation of what was done:
http://s22.postimg.org/cegvo32y9/Peen_Torque.jpg

Picture of the peening done to the barrel/barrel extension, the red depicts the "peening" (hard to take with potato, but you can see the shadows of the dimples):
http://s30.postimg.org/w6uzt61m9/Peening_001.jpg

Better picture showing the peening process at work, green depicts metal displaced by the peening process:
http://s22.postimg.org/sr0koocz5/Peening_002.jpg

And finally, a spot that shows  what I was trying to convey above, in better detail:
http://s3.postimg.org/kd5fsfipv/Peening_003.jpg

View Quote

wow, never seen that before. Didn't even know ar barrels were made that way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought a barrel from Radical and Ballistic at the same time, the bore on the Radical was so dark and dirty I sent it back, the Ballistic is the cleanest mirror finish (bore) of any barrel I have bought. no help here, but my experience with RF.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I bought a barrel from Radical and Ballistic at the same time, the bore on the Radical was so dark and dirty I sent it back, the Ballistic is the cleanest mirror finish (bore) of any barrel I have bought. no help here, but my experience with RF.
View Quote

In all fairness, nitrided bores are usually as black as the ace of spades.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Give them a chance to fix it and make it right.  If they decide to insult you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Give them a chance to fix it and make it right.  If they decide to insult you

As far as I'm concerned, what was done to the repair/replacement barrel that was shipped to him is plenty sufficient of an insult.

Quoted:
Quoted:

A brand new nitrided barrel bore will usually look like a greasy coal mine.

After a dozen or three rounds fired, they end up with a medium to dark grey color in the bore. The chamber will generally be black for a very long time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well this stuff Ballistic is doing, thought it's the same as Nitride

This 5.56 chambered 11.5 inch Government Profile Modern Series Barrel is
machined from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium steel with a QPQ Corrosion
Resistant Finish and QPQ coated M4 feed ramp extension.
is beautiful compared to the barrel I got from RF, which was also Nitride, but it looked like dog shit.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This 5.56 chambered 11.5 inch Government Profile Modern Series Barrel is machined from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium steel with a QPQ Corrosion Resistant Finish and QPQ coated M4 feed ramp extension.
is beautiful compared to the barrel I got from RF, which was also Nitride, but it looked like dog shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This 5.56 chambered 11.5 inch Government Profile Modern Series Barrel is machined from 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium steel with a QPQ Corrosion Resistant Finish and QPQ coated M4 feed ramp extension.

Keep in mind that QPQ/nitride/melonite treatments are not coatings. Much of the finished appearance of a nitrided product is a result of the surface finish of the metal before treatment. Different quench and polish steps in the different processes also affect the final appearance.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Keep in mind that QPQ/nitride/melonite treatments are not coatings. Much of the finished appearance of a nitrided product is a result of the surface finish of the metal before treatment. Different quench and polish steps in the different processes also affect the final appearance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct, I am surprised by the descriptions the MFG's use.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top