Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2015 1:57:30 PM EDT

SO... High Power has a class for this rifle known as any rifle / open optics. I recall hearing last year their were only a handful of these shooters at camp perry as it was pretty mis-understood and poorly attented at rifle shoots. Word from my match directors is that we are going to see a push for this classification to become better defined... and it is going to be a close fit to shooters who run a DMR style rifle. This will present an excellent opportunity for shooters with an optic to really start stretching their legs. I look forward to my first match next month with great anticipation. I would also encourage you guys to speak with or email clubs local to you and investigate their acceptance of "any rifle" shooters.

With my particular build, I want to shoot this gun in high power, and then take it to 2 gun / 3 gun matches this year. I thus chose a Criterion Barrels 18 inch hybrid chrome lined barrel. That should keep me shooting for a while without eventually wearing out my bore too quickly. On top is a Vortex Razor HD II which is 1/2 x 1/2 minute under the caps. For now, a USGI web sling mounted on an IWC sling swivel / bipod mount. This is my setup going in. This is going to be a fun season!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
This may sound odd, but try attaching your front sling attachment on the RIGHT side of the rail. I've been trying it lately and while it seems funky at first, it has it's advantages. Not sure if I'm going to stick with it.

Here's a video showing it, although he doesn't explain it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMGMy4l2HfQ
The AIAX chassis he's using allows him to mount the sling anywhere he wants but chooses the right side.

Reasons are: With a bottom mounted sling, I find the rifle wants to cant a bit when the sling is strapped tight. Having it attached on the right side helps with that. I'm not familiar with any rifle/optic, are you allowed to hook the sling into your shooting jacket? Is so, this may be even more of an issue.

I'm working on a similar build but mine will not be used for high power as I prefer service rifle. I am also using an SPR contour barrel because it was free.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to knock on Jacob, the dude knows how to shoot. But a lot of it is personal preference.

I have tried the sling on the right side before with two rifles. I found that it aggravated the canting more than the bottom mount.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not to knock on Jacob, the dude knows how to shoot. But a lot of it is personal preference.

I have tried the sling on the right side before with two rifles. I found that it aggravated the canting more than the bottom mount.
View Quote

It seems to help me in terms of cant, but it just doesn't feel natural. I will most likely go back to a bottom mount as well. I just presented it as an option to try out if he hasn't already.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#4]
The sling shown on that page looks like exactly what I need. Any rifle allows any sling to be utilized and some of those on that page have quick cuff features that will really help with the match.

Particularly the sap sling...

I will also add some QD swivels and see how that mounting position works out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#5]
With me it works best to keep the sling on the left side of rail as close to receiver as possible. The rear is mounted in a QD slot on the right hand side, top of stock and this keeps the rifle from canting. Works for me, YMMV??  
NCH
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been active for over thirty years shooting NRA highpower tournaments. M1 Garand and M1-A's until the mid-1990's then bolt guns, space guns and AR based service rifles since then.

At almost 60 now my eyes can either be corrected to see the front post or corrected to see the bullseye, they can't do both. I started shooting scoped the last few years when I compete at covered ranges. The roof blocks out too much light for me to shoot irons.

I will still shoot irons on an open range if the sun is going to shine. I even fired a 482/500 two years ago with an iron sighted AR service rifle, so I'm not washed up yet. Bright lighting makes all the difference in the world.

The optics class is a great option for older shooters who have the normal eye issues associated with aging. It's also fun for people who want to run what they brung. Scores fired with optics don't count toward your NRA classification. You have to shoot irons to get a classification card.

NRA Highpower Master since 1989.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The sling shown on that page looks like exactly what I need. Any rifle allows any sling to be utilized and some of those on that page have quick cuff features that will really help with the match.

Particularly the sap sling...

I will also add some QD swivels and see how that mounting position works out.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I'm a big fan of the SAP sling, I've been extremely happy with it over the older Turner AWS and TAB Gear Sling that I used before.

The FTW in the video above would likely do just as well. I have the FTW carbine sling, and it is well thought out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:53:18 AM EDT
[#9]
SAP sling on the way! Those guys shipped like lightning!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Let us know how it works. I have the FTW sling as well as the FTW carbine sling. The carbine is awesome as it is excellent for carry and still able to be used slung up.

I've got all the parts for mine ready except the trigger and charging handle. I haven't put it together since I'm painting it and I'm letting the pain dry. What trigger did you end up going with? Mine is going to be a mix of precision/3gun similar to yours so I'm looking for a trigger suitable for both. I don't like the Geissele 3G for precision work. The SSA-E and KAC 2 stage are good for precision but I'm wanting to try something faster. The AR gold fits the bill ok but I hate the thin trigger shoe.

I'm also trying to decide on the CH. I may try the BCM A44 since I already have a few raptors and just want to try something different.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm, so is this a class that could potentially attract Clone rifles like the SAM-R, SDM, and Mk12 family? That would be interesting if the course of fire focused on time for delivery of your rounds, the standard Marine "rapid fire" at qual always seemed like it left plenty of time to score a clean with time to spare. I haven't gotten around to doing it, but over in the Mk12 thread we started weekly challenges, first was coldbore group, and now we're looking at timed groups. Would be fun to see a competition built around delivering 20 rounds in say 20-30 seconds at 600 yards.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Well the rapid fire portion is a ten round string that requires a magazine change and runs 60 seconds.

The goal of getting more modern black rifles involved stems from the need to diversify the age and allow a step stone approach to get new shooters a) shooting and b) to get some of these shooters interested in service rifle class.

Run what you bring is a great way to get started in high power. I will tell you personally that all you need is a NRA membership (you need your member number), a 100 yard zero with your rifle, and a ballistic calculator for your phone. Thats exactly what I had last year when I shot my first match.

I calculated my drop by inputting my load for 200-300-600 yards and I took the data with me to the match. Each course of fire allows two sighters so you can fine tune the dope.

I had no trouble until the 600. At 600 the match director spotted me to ensure my rounds went on target. After a minute adjustment I was ready to roll. If you can touch off a few at the club chrono before you head out you will be way ahead of me because I used a velocity guesstimate for my dope.

So, having only shot that gun at 100 yards, and never competing in high power before... I was able to score a 688-4x on a 800 agg match. This year I'm bringing the build you see above.  

So yes, absolutely take your SPR, mark 12, SAM-R to these matches. You can compete and you will have an awesome time.

Lenny: the guys who made that automatic reset trigger are about to release a single stage / two stage trigger that changes based on selector position... If I can remember the name of the company!!
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well the rapid fire portion is a ten round string that requires a magazine change and runs 60 seconds.

The goal of getting more modern black rifles involved stems from the need to diversify the age and allow a step stone approach to get new shooters a) shooting and b) to get some of these shooters interested in service rifle class.

Run what you bring is a great way to get started in high power. I will tell you personally that all you need is a NRA membership (you need your member number), a 100 yard zero with your rifle, and a ballistic calculator for your phone. Thats exactly what I had last year when I shot my first match.

I calculated my drop by inputting my load for 200-300-600 yards and I took the data with me to the match. Each course of fire allows two sighters so you can fine tune the dope.

I had no trouble until the 600. At 600 the match director spotted me to ensure my rounds went on target. After a minute adjustment I was ready to roll. If you can touch off a few at the club chrono before you head out you will be way ahead of me because I used a velocity guesstimate for my dope.

So, having only shot that gun at 100 yards, and never competing in high power before... I was able to score a 688-4x on a 800 agg match. This year I'm bringing the build you see above.  

So yes, absolutely take your SPR, mark 12, SAM-R to these matches. You can compete and you will have an awesome time.

Lenny: the guys who made that automatic reset trigger are about to release a single stage / two stage trigger that changes based on selector position... If I can remember the name of the company!!
View Quote

The trigger is the Tac-Con 241.

I really like my 20" gov't barrel, but I handled a BCM 18" SS410 the other day that makes me really want to try out a build with a DD 18" S2W Rifle gas barrel for just such a purpose as this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The chrome lined criterion is a similar profile. Tapered towards the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The chrome lined criterion is a similar profile. Tapered towards the muzzle.
View Quote

The Criterion is high on my list. What intrigues me about the DD is the durability benefits of CMV over stainless and benefits of the salt bath nitride treatment. I know it's not quite to the same match quality accuracy of others on th emarket, but I also know I can't shoot to that level, anyway (yet).
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hmm, so is this a class that could potentially attract Clone rifles like the SAM-R, SDM, and Mk12 family? That would be interesting if the course of fire focused on time for delivery of your rounds, the standard Marine "rapid fire" at qual always seemed like it left plenty of time to score a clean with time to spare. I haven't gotten around to doing it, but over in the Mk12 thread we started weekly challenges, first was coldbore group, and now we're looking at timed groups. Would be fun to see a competition built around delivering 20 rounds in say 20-30 seconds at 600 yards.
View Quote

CMP sponsored match-Infantry Trophy or commonly called "rattle battle"
Because this match is unique among precision shooting events, there are several major differences to be noted. However, for now it is still all iron sights and rifles must meet the definition of a CMP Service Rifle. Slings only, no bipods etc. allowed.  But, as things progress I can't see why optics and other types of rifles would not have a class of their own. It won't happen overnight and there will have to be enough participation to make it happen. It is a team event.

Firing starts from 600 yards and works down to 200 yards.
Every stage is sustained fire, 50 seconds.
It is the only event where you shoot rapid sitting at 300 yards.
It is the only event where you shoot rapid standing.
It is the only event where you can use the sling for standing.
Targets are silhouettes with no scoring rings.
Reloads are allowed, but not required.

NTIT points are awarded for hits on the silhouette, there are no scoring rings. The army E (Echo) target is 19-1/2” wide, which is just over 3 minutes. Even with a dead nuts wind call, fast shooting can open up a group and there will be misses outside the black. So a tight group is very desirable. Usually the shooters with the tightest groups will be assigned as swing shooters. Shooters with wider groups, but still getting a good hit to shot ratio, will be assigned to fire straight away.........read the full article here
http://www.flssa.org/hp/teams/article1206.html
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I find it interesting we are STILL using rules based off the old M1903. When we went to magazine fed, we retained the old 5&5 despite the fact we have rifles that can hold 8, 20, and 30 round mags (M1, M14, M16). That's why a modified SPR/SDM type course of fire would be nice, recognizing the role of those rifles in providing accurate sustained fire, sometimes from kneeling/sitting at 500+ yards.

Here's another thing, imagine a string of 20+20, retaining a mag change! That would be a heck of a crunch for 50-60 seconds, might even induce some fatigue of sorts. I also like the above mentioned format using the sihlouettes, or a target where the center of mass and head are the scoring zone, maybe retain some X zones for tie breaking. I'd do that just as a good exercise, let alone competing. An expensive one if you are using factory 77gr ammo, but fun nonetheless!
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#18]
The first course of action is letting the CMP know that something like the "battle rattle" is something that interests us as a community.

email them

Your right, civilian marksmanship should not be based on old technology, but modern rifle theory and practice.

Oh and I received the SAP sling. Friggen ROCKS. Rock solid lockup on your bicep, quick adjust to full tension and loosens just as easily.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I find it interesting we are STILL using rules based off the old M1903. When we went to magazine fed, we retained the old 5&5 despite the fact we have rifles that can hold 8, 20, and 30 round mags (M1, M14, M16). That's why a modified SPR/SDM type course of fire would be nice, recognizing the role of those rifles in providing accurate sustained fire, sometimes from kneeling/sitting at 500+ yards.

Here's another thing, imagine a string of 20+20, retaining a mag change! That would be a heck of a crunch for 50-60 seconds, might even induce some fatigue of sorts. I also like the above mentioned format using the sihlouettes, or a target where the center of mass and head are the scoring zone, maybe retain some X zones for tie breaking. I'd do that just as a good exercise, let alone competing. An expensive one if you are using factory 77gr ammo, but fun nonetheless!
View Quote

Service rifle is 2&8, from the M1s time, so little more modern.

I'm pretty sure most ranges don't want their target frames getting fucked up and the safety hazard that may present to the pullers.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to be hitting the range tomorrow with the SAP and my rifle for a re-zero with the new optic. Things are finally thawing out here in PA.

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm going to be hitting the range tomorrow with the SAP and my rifle for a re-zero with the new optic. Things are finally thawing out here in PA.

View Quote

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I love my SAP.

You also have me looking mighty hard at Criterion's 16" hybrid contour barrels (the one that goes down to .625 at the gas block). I feel like that would be an awesome recce barrel. But, is it worth replacing my Centurion 16" CHF that is currently fulling the role.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

To be honest, I'm not too keen on purchasing anything from that company. I did revisit the AR gold trigger this weekend and liked it much more than the first time.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure most ranges don't want their target frames getting fucked up and the safety hazard that may present to the pullers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus it seems like throwing a mag change in there, regardless of what type of rifle.  Just adds to the competition and fun.  I don't see why you'd need to shoot double the rounds for an accuracy type of match.  But I see the point about the fatigue.  I think you get plenty of that with your eyes though.  I've only shot at 600 yards once and it was with my 03a3 and after about 40 rounds, my eyes didn't really want to be doing what they should be doing, trying to keep it all in focus.  They started bugging out.  Maybe my eyes are weak, but that's a far distance to try and look at with the naked eye for a long time.  Let alone the sights in addition to the target.  200 isn't nearly as bad though, of course.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#24]
The SAP is a great tool. I had to remove some of the powder coating on the quick adjust buckle as the teeth were somewhat dulled by the thickness of the powder coat, but after i sharpened them up it bit down hard.

It has a restrictor type loop and a quick release buckle with a fast adjust strap right behind where the support hand would go.

I have since added a QD swivel attachment half way down the forearm now and it acts as a natural hand stop. Furthermore, it reduces the angle of the forearm since my elbow is brought closer to my body and thus the sling doesn't ride down as much with this setup. Easily, just as secure as the traditional shooting sling arrangements and far faster to don and doff.

I have a video of it, but dangit the video editor I am using is making my computer feel old. It is old. Im trying dangit!
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#25]
knife_sniper, is it basically the high power national match course but you can you can use any setup?  200 standing & Rapid, 300 rapid, 600 slow?
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe the class is "any rifle, tactical optics" which my club is experimenting with. The idea is to get people shooting modern setups but to get the camp and NRA to better define the class...

But they won't do that unless we get out there and show them how popular it can be. But yes, as of current rules I believe my rifle is legal though it won't be scored next to the service rifle guys or the space guns. Its in the red headed stepchild classification.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#27]
You have enough guys in your area to hold matches?  I like the idea.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Our range had a clinic. The idea was to bring out all the guys with optics and show them the ropes at the club. They also practiced positions. So with that done, we have people who are comfortable shooting their tactical rifles in a high power setting.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#30]
So I finally finished my build:

It's a little heavier than I was hoping for, but otherwise it should do what I want it to do. I was actually torn between keeping the Steiner, or picking up a Razor, but ultimately decided to keep the Steiner. It's slightly lighter, and I like the larger center dot. I may end up swapping out the hefty Bobro mount for a much lighter Aero mount, but I lose QD capability if I do that.

The barrel is my retired SPR barrel that doesn't quite shoot as well as it used to. However for whatever reason, it particularly likes any 55grain load. Before I took it off my SPR, I shot a 20 round box of 55 grain into less than 1.5 MOA. I think that's plenty good enough as I will be unlikely to be shooting this from rest after sight in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:58:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
knife_sniper, is it basically the high power national match course but you can you can use any setup?  200 standing & Rapid, 300 rapid, 600 slow?
View Quote

Milt has been shooting this class for 2 yrs now in Nashua
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am sure they will let you shoot this in Nashua I dont think Dave would really care as long as the bullets go in the berm
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/20150331_173749_zps4z3nvau7.jpg

It's a little heavier than I was hoping for, but otherwise it should do what I want it to do. I was actually torn between keeping the Steiner, or picking up a Razor, but ultimately decided to keep the Steiner. It's slightly lighter, and I like the larger center dot. I may end up swapping out the hefty Bobro mount for a much lighter Aero mount, but I lose QD capability if I do that.

The barrel is my retired SPR barrel that doesn't quite shoot as well as it used to. However for whatever reason, it particularly likes any 55grain load. Before I took it off my SPR, I shot a 20 round box of 55 grain into less than 1.5 MOA. I think that's plenty good enough as I will be unlikely to be shooting this from rest after sight in.
View Quote

Thats a nice rifle!

I was looking at some data about 55 grainers and closer ranges. That velocity gives you a rediculous MPBR which I would like to incorporate into my shooting. Iirc if we keep the xm193 no more than 4 inches above the bore and call the end of our MPBR 4 inches below the bore... Then we have something like 330 yards for our range before corrections need to be made.

I would like to get some Barnes ttsx and reload them close to 3200 fps: then we have a consistent 55 grain projectile with controlled expansion and a higher ballistic coefficient than xm193 at .27 vs .25

That should be our flattest shooting load in the 55 grain range.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
 I am sure they will let you shoot this in Nashua I dont think Dave would really care as long as the bullets go in the berm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.  I've shot regular high power service rifle matches at Nashua in the past.   When I'm ready to jump in to the ring again I'll ping Dave.  I have a few friends who would probably want to as well.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thats a nice rifle!

I was looking at some data about 55 grainers and closer ranges. That velocity gives you a rediculous MPBR which I would like to incorporate into my shooting. Iirc if we keep the xm193 no more than 4 inches above the bore and call the end of our MPBR 4 inches below the bore... Then we have something like 330 yards for our range before corrections need to be made.

I would like to get some Barnes ttsx and reload them close to 3200 fps: then we have a consistent 55 grain projectile with controlled expansion and a higher ballistic coefficient than xm193 at .27 vs .25

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i408/lennyo3034/20150331_173749_zps4z3nvau7.jpg

Thats a nice rifle!

I took it out to the range today. It was very accurate withe 55 grain loads. However it was a little heavy and recoil wasn't as light as I was hoping for. It doesn't cycle as smoothly as my other rifles, I'm thinking it may be due to the young's chrome BCG (vs NiB or QPQ) in my other guns. I'll have to put more rounds down it and let it break in more.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top