Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2014 4:11:51 PM EDT

Has anyone use this brand on a Windham AR? I bought it, installed it and it will not hold the Magazines in place. The factory Windham and the Magpul Mag's.

It seems to not set deep enough to catch the mag's to hold them..

I sent it back to Troy under a call tag with the spec's of the factory Windham and the Troy were they catch and hold the Mag's in place, and they say it is "Within Spec's". They said in an email:

I just wanted to let you know that we have inspected the mag release and it is within spec. We installed it on a mil-spec lower Troy, S&W and Colt and it works perfect. I can only assume that the Magpul lower is not to mil-spec. With this confirmation, we will be returning this to you ASAP. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sorta let me down on them for this...  When I get it back I will do a short video or Photo's showing the spec's and lack of mag holding and email it back to them to show them on my AR....  I have pics that I did send back with it and that did not seam to help...

I know I can live without it being left handed, but why..?

Anyone else have a Windham AR and use the Ambidextrous Magazine Release on theirs by chance? or what brand to you use on yours?

The ser Number states it was built 8/12 and is a MPC model.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Regardless of Troy's politics and rep,around here, I like their stuff.

That being said, in my opinion, there's only one ambi-mag release that's worth a damn. The Norgon Ambi-Catch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
there's only one ambi-mag release that's worth a damn. The Norgon Ambi-Catch.
View Quote

I like the Norgon best, but the HVA and SIG options aren't bad.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Norgon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 troys and they work great!! I got them on sale for around $50, so norgon can suck a dick at that price. Mine is easy to use and I wouldn't hesitate to buy more. They don't work with a few of my billet lowers though because the magwell is thicker on them but forged are Good to go.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]

I am glad your works,, I guess the question is why they will not work in a Windham...? I wonder if the mag wall on the lower is thicker to were the catcher can not lock on to the mag's?

I have chose the Troy because I also use a Troy Ambi Bolt Release.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I am glad your works,, I guess the question is why they will not work in a Windham...? I wonder if the mag wall on the lower is thicker to were the catcher can not lock on to the mag's?
View Quote
Where in AZ are you located? PM me if you're near E. Valley Phx metro and I can probably get it sorted out.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I am WAYYYYYY down by the AZ / Mex border...  3.5 - 4 hrs away
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had great luck with my Troy's. Always heard good things about Norgon's too though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Norgon FTW. Troy's digs into the lower.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are some quick pics I just took of the factory Windham mag release with measurement and inside view in place. The Troy the only way it would even hold a Mag is I had to push in on the end and hold it. As if the holding bolt was not at 90 deg. The Troy was also measured in at 15.55.  The Windham was thicker and was visually deeper seating... I can get a pic when it ever gets back here...  That is all I can say at this time...  

" />

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Norgon FTW. Troy's digs into the lower.
View Quote

I like to think they help give the lower that BTDT look
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#12]
If its not grabbing the mag screw it in more

On mine the stud is flush with the mag release on the right of the gun.

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I even maxed it in thinking it was not in deep enough.... SAME THING... I will see it they are giving me the same on back or a different one...  my luck it will be the same one.... I will tweek it if I have to, but for the money spent I should not have to....
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#14]
why are the pics not showing up that I took? are they viewable if you all click on the links?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:58:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If its not grabbing the mag screw it in more
On mine the stud is flush with the mag release on the right of the gun.
View Quote
OP have you tried that yet? It looks as if you easily have a full rotation left.

Edit: missed by a few seconds.

2nd edit: the pics show up for me just fine.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
why are the pics not showing up that I took? are they viewable if you all click on the links?
View Quote

They have to be approved by 3 Team Members

I will click it approved.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I suck at reading. My guess would be a magwell that's too thick like my billets were.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top