User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1221 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
So, the results are in on my RC carbon removal experiments. Let's do a little recap of the various methods I tried and what they achieved:

* At 5026rnds I hit a max weight of 19.64oz or 557 grams, and was gaining an average of 1 gram per 100 rounds fired. Which, of course, is what kicked off the "clean the RC" mission.

Cleaning:
* My first attempt at cleaning was about 6-8 hours in an ultrasonic using pure vinegar, which resulted in a 7 gram reduction to 550g.
* The next shooting trip brought it back up to 552g, which is where it stood when I started getting serious.
* First I did a 48 hour "partial" soak in CLR. I say "partial" because I later realized I had some air still trapped. Note: Always fill about 3/4 full and then tip as far over as you can, then fill again. It takes more than you'd think to fill it completely.
* I followed the 48-hour soak with 13 hours of ultrasonic in vinegar, blew it out with compressed air and then another 3 hours muzzle down. After drying in the oven I was down to 545g. A measly 7 grams wasn't terribly impressive given all the ultrasonic time.
* Next, I did a 24-hour soak with Lucasoil bore solvent and rigged up an attachment for my air compressor blow gun that would allow me to blow air at a 90-degree angle using 1/4" drip line hose and a T fitting ground down to the same diameter as the drip line.
* The solvent soak and blowing it out again brought the weight down to 539g. So, another small 6 gram gain.
* This was followed by another 48-hour soak in CLR (no trapped air this time), and another 5 hours in the ultrasonic leading up to going shooting. I finished by blowing it out again with the 90-degree attachment yesterday morning just to get any extra liquid out.

Then came the shooting :D.

First round:

4 prong after the first shot:

There was wet carbon sludge all over the 4P, a thick layer on the blast baffle and some even blew back into my barrel - I had to use a boresnake after the first and second round.

2nd round:

3rd round:

This continued for at least 30 rounds, with the gas/smoke/carbon cloud slowly dissipating with each shot. Even 30ish rounds later I was still blowing a visible cloud of grayish-white gas/smoke.

End result? At least 1.26oz removed if you count starting at 552g. In total, 1.446oz removed from the max weight of 19.64oz. Final weight when I got back from shooting was 18.2oz or 516g.

Had I weighed immediately after it stopped expelling giant clouds of carbon, I'd imagine it would've been a bit lower (I'm sure the 350rds I put through it added some weight back). I'm relatively certain I could get a bit more out with another soak n' shoot, but I'll likely just leave it be until I hit 10k and it starts bulking up again.

My starting goal was to remove at least 50% of the accumulated weight and I accomplished that, so overall I'm pretty happy with the results.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 7:07:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Keylows] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By krdt:
So, the results are in on my RC carbon removal experiments. Let's do a little recap of the various methods I tried and what they achieved:

* At 5026rnds I hit a max weight of 19.64oz or 557 grams, and was gaining an average of 1 gram per 100 rounds fired. Which, of course, is what kicked off the "clean the RC" mission.

Cleaning:
* My first attempt at cleaning was about 6-8 hours in an ultrasonic using pure vinegar, which resulted in a 7 gram reduction to 550g.
* The next shooting trip brought it back up to 552g, which is where it stood when I started getting serious.
* First I did a 48 hour "partial" soak in CLR. I say "partial" because I later realized I had some air still trapped. Note: Always fill about 3/4 full and then tip as far over as you can, then fill again. It takes more than you'd think to fill it completely.
* I followed the 48-hour soak with 13 hours of ultrasonic in vinegar, blew it out with compressed air and then another 3 hours muzzle down. After drying in the oven I was down to 545g. A measly 7 grams wasn't terribly impressive given all the ultrasonic time.
* Next, I did a 24-hour soak with Lucasoil bore solvent and rigged up an attachment for my air compressor blow gun that would allow me to blow air at a 90-degree angle using 1/4" drip line hose and a T fitting ground down to the same diameter as the drip line.
* The solvent soak and blowing it out again brought the weight down to 539g. So, another small 6 gram gain.
* This was followed by another 48-hour soak in CLR (no trapped air this time), and another 5 hours in the ultrasonic leading up to going shooting. I finished by blowing it out again with the 90-degree attachment yesterday morning just to get any extra liquid out.

First round:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.060919.RC.Clean.Out-02.jpg

http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.060919.RC.Clean.Out-01.jpg

There was wet carbon sludge all over the 4P, a thick layer on the blast baffle and some even blew back into my barrel - I had to use a boresnake after the first and second round.

2nd round:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.060919.RC.Clean.Out-03.jpg

3rd round:
http://wkd.site.nfoservers.com/CQBR/CQBR.060919.RC.Clean.Out-04.jpg

This continued for at least 30 rounds, with the gas/smoke/carbon cloud slowly dissipating with each shot. Even 30ish rounds later I was still blowing a visible cloud of grayish-white gas/smoke.

End result? At least 1.26oz removed if you count starting at 552g. In total, 1.446oz removed from the max weight of 19.64oz. Final weight when I got back from shooting was 18.2oz or 516g.

Had I weighed immediately after it stopped expelling giant clouds of carbon, I'd imagine it would've been a bit lower (I'm sure the 350rds I put through it added some weight back). I'm relatively certain I could get a bit more out with another soak n' shoot, but I'll likely just leave it be until I hit 10k and it starts bulking up again.

My starting goal was to remove at least 50% of the accumulated weight and I accomplished that, so overall I'm pretty happy with the results.
View Quote
Lol good to see some results.
Definitely noted when it comes to clean my can.

I bet you had to shower after that shoot out

Eta: Those carbon clouds are nuts man lol
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Cleaning:

First round:

2nd round:

3rd round:

View Quote
whats the total weight of the RC with no rounds through it as a control?

And the most important question of them all - would you do it all again for the same or similar results?

thanks for these posts, very informative.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Cleaning:

First round:

2nd round:

3rd round:

View Quote
Great info, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Is a KAC FFSGB clone correct for a Mk18 FSP build? Asking for a friend.....  
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Picked up the last Surefire SB at AU a few days ago. Now the long wait begins.

What muzzle device is everyone using if not the 4P? I still want to shoot it while I wait for the can but once I get it I doubt I will ever shoot it unsuppressed. I’m thinking flash hider now, muzzle brake later?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/462226/E12FB180-E960-4057-B204-529C6576FAD4_jpeg-974084.JPG
View Quote
I chose a Warcomp (3 prong)
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Rollin' coal, CQBR style.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:28:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#9]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

And the most important question of them all - would you do it all again for the same or similar results?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cleaning:

First round:

2nd round:

3rd round:

Unfortunately, I don't recall weighing mine when it was brand new. I might have, but if so I don't know the exact number.

Surefire lists the weight at 17oz; however, I believe @ECPrevatte weighed a new one and it was like 18oz. If that's the case, I was a lot more successful than I thought and I've actually gotten it within .1oz of factory new weight. That would be fantastic.

Yeah, I'd definitely do it again. Even if I only succeeded in getting a little over half of it out, it was still well worth it. At the rate I was going, things didn't look too good for the longevity of the can. Even if performance weren't a concern, eventually having to carry an extra 3-4oz or more on the end of your gun would be enough reason, lol. I'm also no longer worried about shooting WPA knowing I can remove a significant amount of the build up.

ETA: Here it is. According to his scale, it was 18.1oz 17.4oz.

Link Posted: 6/10/2019 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Rollin' coal, CQBR style.
View All Quotes
Lol... turbo diesel CQBR.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#11]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Unfortunately, I don't recall weighing mine when it was brand new. I might have, but if so I don't know the exact number.

Surefire lists the weight at 17oz; however, I believe @ECPrevatte weighed a new one and it was like 18oz. If that's the case, I was a lot more successful than I thought and I've actually gotten it within .1oz of factory new weight. That would be fantastic.

Yeah, I'd definitely do it again. Even if I only succeeded in getting a little over half of it out, it was still well worth it. At the rate I was going, things didn't look too good for the longevity of the can. Even if performance weren't a concern, eventually having to carry an extra 3-4oz or more on the end of your gun would be enough reason, lol. I'm also no longer worried about shooting WPA knowing I can remove a significant amount of the build up.

ETA: Here it is. According to his scale, it was 18.1oz.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8285/29346460780_3a18fd401d_b.jpg
View All Quotes

ETA: Here it is. According to his scale, it was 18.1oz.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8285/29346460780_3a18fd401d_b.jpg
awesome. i have two surefire SB's inbound, about 6 months out, so i'm wondering on cleaning frequency. i guess i will have to pick up an ultrasonic cleaner, was reading that makes quick work of bcgs/bolts too.

Originally Posted By USMCSGT0331:
https://i.imgur.com/qvfqAtJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/e41odSW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/usPFHuT.jpg

lol ok what the F
sell me that rail
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Cleaning:

First round:

2nd round:

3rd round:

View Quote
Damn Kricket!  That 4 prong picture almost looks like something out of a porn flick.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:16:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#15]
Fuck, for some reason I'd remembered 18oz and didn't even really look at the photo before I posted it. Scratch that, it's 17.4oz.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: krdt] [#16]

awesome. i have two surefire SB's inbound, about 6 months out, so i'm wondering on cleaning frequency. i guess i will have to pick up an ultrasonic cleaner, was reading that makes quick work of bcgs/bolts too.

lol ok what the F
sell me that rail
View Quote
Just be aware ultrasonic is pretty brutal on Cerakote. I'd trying plugging the bore with a rubber plug from Ace and soaking with CLR or bore solvent, flush it with water then shake it out really well or blow it out with air, then shoot. I'd only move to ultrasonic if the soak n' shoot doesn't work well enough.

Originally Posted By compuvette:

Damn Kricket!  That 4 prong picture almost looks like something out of a porn flick.
View Quote
Lol... 4 prong carbon bukake.

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Man even if the bullet missed them a carbon blast like that to the face would stop anybody.
View Quote
Introducing the 5.56 carbon shotgun... the ultimate in home defense technology :D.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
Man even if the bullet missed them a carbon blast like that to the face would stop anybody.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/10/2019 9:57:16 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Tell you friend the rail is garbage and send it my way for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
LOL Perfect
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Same man. Their 14.5s have been gtg for me.
View Quote
Got one of their 10.3's coming up to me in Canada to finally wrap up my long waited and worked on my Mod 0 build.   Will put up pics and range details etc once I've got it in and shot.  Once that's done, turning attention to doing up a Mod 1.  Might even try to put together a Canadian equivalent build, our C8 IUR CQB.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#22]
A lil group CQBR action. You can also see the results of ultrasonic on my Cerakote.

Ultrasonic vs. Cerakote... Cerakote loses.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
Wow, those together might make the rarest upper of all time lol.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I know it’s not clone correct and all but I was wondering if anyone has  tried the LMT enhanced BCG in their CQBR? Supposed to help with gas to the face and longer dwell time. Seems interesting but I’ve heard conflicting reports on its usefulness.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
Clone correct aside, that's fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:58:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#26]
Well my Badger Ordinance MK12 gas block showed up today... it only had 1 set screw in the baggie. I’m torn between complaining to the vendor so I can wait another few days for them to maybe mail me another one or just going to Home Depot and buying whatever chinesium brand set screw they sell for $1.07

I could probably get a nice alloy one locally from McMaster or Fastenal, but that would require motivation.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:10:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#29]
Finished up cleaning the bcg on the mk18, figured a quick pic never hurts.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
NICE RAIL.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 8:55:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#32]
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Conner378:
Finished up cleaning the bcg on the mk18, figured a quick pic never hurts.
https://i.postimg.cc/5NSRs2YX/42171-BDB-6-C37-42-B4-ADE0-4323-D3-CD2397.jpg
View Quote
Nice room/office
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Stupid specific question...are you guys using Colt barrel nuts and Delta Ring Assemblies for your Mod 0 builds or just whatever you have laying around?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:21:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7N1x30] [#36]
Originally Posted By AR_Marv:
I know it’s not clone correct and all but I was wondering if anyone has  tried the LMT enhanced BCG in their CQBR? Supposed to help with gas to the face and longer dwell time. Seems interesting but I’ve heard conflicting reports on its usefulness.
View Quote
I run one on mine.
I like it. It noticeably smoothed the gun out and it has been 100% reliable.
I shoot left-handed, so I’m a little more sensitive to gas out the ejection port than most. It definitely helps in that department.
I run the gun with a SureFire 556RC and 5.56 pressure ammo exclusively.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:40:49 AM EDT
[#37]
@Conner378

Where can I get the prints like you have hanging on your wall.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By wissota4:
@Jlgil73

What peq mount is that?
Is the red dot close to the top of the peq?
Is that the most forward position to mount the peq on the top rail?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wissota4:
Originally Posted By Jlgil73:

10.3 Block 1.  Its a repost but from last year, so...

https://live.staticflickr.com/1918/45443300931_fdcdede1de_o.jpg
@Jlgil73

What peq mount is that?
Is the red dot close to the top of the peq?
Is that the most forward position to mount the peq on the top rail?
@wissota4  Sorry just got back from vacay...  It is a Larue QD mount.  YOu can barely see the peq through the aimpoint if that is what you mean.  I really dont recall if there is another notch forward off hand.  I can look later when I am home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:19:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSchell1309] [#39]
I have photo copies of all my stamps in an magpul daka in my rangebag, but I've never been asked.  I also have my own land I do 99.999% of my shooting on.  I have had LEO pull me over, and ask what was in the back of my truck in the cases.  I said SBRs and suppressors.  Then, the convo turned to guns stuff, and I ended up showing him what I had.  No ticket that day.  Most of the time, I am of the mindset, to make their jobs easier.  I have found that many of the more rural leos 20 miles away or more from St. Louis are mostly very pro 2a.
View Quote
Very true. We were shooting on friend's family property in Troy MO area and set off 5 lbs of tannerite in an old dishwasher. About 20 min later we see a cruiser with the lights on slowly coming into the field. They stopped about 50 yards away. By that time we set all the guns down and stood in open view and just waved them up.

They apologized for coming on the property and just asked if we set off an explosive. We showed them the dishwasher wreckage and said it was tannerite. They said that everything was cool, they just got a handful of calls from concerned neighbors so they had to respond.

They were super friendly and just asked what all we were shooting. Showed them the layout of ARs and other bullshit shooting steel targets. They thought it was awesome and talked with us for a while. I ended up asking if they had a select fire AR in the cruiser. When they said yeah, I said you should bring it out and light up these targets with it haha. They said they wished they could but that would be bad news with their department.

In the end they just said obviously we can set off whatever we want on our private rural property. However, if we want to do 5+ lbs again to give them a courtesy call so they can respond to phone calls that they are aware and everything is ok without them having to dispatch a cruiser. Good guys, and easy interaction with no one being dicks about anything.

ETA: photo thread. Since this photo I have replaced the micro rear iron with the large knob 300m folder. Will rock irons until i figure our what optic to go with. Also had to replace the 4 prong with a rugged mount. With someone in here buying the last of the Surefire SB off of AU I need to figure out what SF can to go with. Will rock a Surge until that gets figured out.

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JSchell1309:

Very true. We were shooting on friend's family property in Troy MO area and set off 5 lbs of tannerite in an old dishwasher. About 20 min later we see a cruiser with the lights on slowly coming into the field. They stopped about 50 yards away. By that time we set all the guns down and stood in open view and just waved them up.

They apologized for coming on the property and just asked if we set off an explosive. We showed them the dishwasher wreckage and said it was tannerite. They said that everything was cool, they just got a handful of calls from concerned neighbors so they had to respond.

They were super friendly and just asked what all we were shooting. Showed them the layout of ARs and other bullshit shooting steel targets. They thought it was awesome and talked with us for a while. I ended up asking if they had a select fire AR in the cruiser. When they said yeah, I said you should bring it out and light up these targets with it haha. They said they wished they could but that would be bad news with their department.

In the end they just said obviously we can set off whatever we want on our private rural property. However, if we want to do 5+ lbs again to give them a courtesy call so they can respond to phone calls that they are aware and everything is ok without them having to dispatch a cruiser. Good guys, and easy interaction with no one being dicks about anything.

ETA: photo thread. Since this photo I have replaced the micro rear iron with the large knob 300m folder. Will rock irons until i figure our what optic to go with. Also had to replace the 4 prong with a rugged mount. With someone in here buying the last of the Surefire SB off of AU I need to figure out what SF can to go with. Will rock a Surge until that gets figured out.

http://imgur.com/7ROfLhN.jpg
View Quote
@JSchell1309  Crazy,
My land is in Hawk Point.  LEO's I was speaking of were Warrenton. I assume you live in the area.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BLACKLIGHT:
@Conner378

Where can I get the prints like you have hanging on your wall.
View Quote
They are sold at projektmonark.com and the photos are taken by ECPrevatte
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:49:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSchell1309] [#42]

@JSchell1309  Crazy,
My land is in Hawk Point.  LEO's I was speaking of were Warrenton. I assume you live in the area.
View Quote
@Jlgil73

Have family farm land outside of Jeff City and friends with hunting property or friend's family with property in the greater Troy, Moscow Mills, Foley areas.

I'm with you, rural police interaction is generally really easy going. They just want to check everything is ok. They rarely care what you are doing on your private property as long as it isn't illegal or disturbing or harmful to others.

Edit to add: Oh shit, i recognize your IG photos from your account in your sig. I just threw you a follow. May send some DMs on there regarding NODs and optics and MO laws.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#43]
What model Insight IR FDE rail mount weapon Light?
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#44]

@Jlgil73

Have family farm land outside of Jeff City and friends with hunting property or friend's family with property in the greater Troy, Moscow Mills, Foley areas.

I'm with you, rural police interaction is generally really easy going. They just want to check everything is ok. They rarely care what you are doing on your private property as long as it isn't illegal or disturbing or harmful to others.

Edit to add: Oh shit, i recognize your IG photos from your account in your sig. I just threw you a follow. May send some DMs on there regarding NODs and optics and MO laws.
View Quote
You guys got a place to shoot at night? I'm in STL
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

View Quote
Lol, I need a MN spot for night shooting soon too. Tough in the summer months.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#46]

@wissota4  Sorry just got back from vacay...  It is a Larue QD mount.  YOu can barely see the peq through the aimpoint if that is what you mean.  I really dont recall if there is another notch forward off hand.  I can look later when I am home.
View Quote
Thanks for the response. That is what I meant, how much it shows past the red dot tube. Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes

@Jlgil73

I have land.  I havent done much nvgs shooting since Im the only one with nods I know...Would like someone to shoot with though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

Momma always told me not to meet up with people I met on the interwebs.

Maybe we can be cool and shoot at night in 5 years when our Lunchbox Guns are complete

I know you are local as well, do you have nvg?

I have land.  I havent done much nvgs shooting since Im the only one with nods I know...Would like someone to shoot with though.
I sent you an DM on insta from 300_AAC_Blackout_Drunk. I dont have nvgs as I know MO laws with them and hunting are real bullshitty, so I never have given them a serious look. Had some questions for you as a MO nvg user.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Momma always told me not to meet up with people I met on the interwebs.

Maybe we can be cool and shoot at night in 5 years when our Lunchbox Guns are complete

I know you are local as well, do you have nvg?

I sent you an DM on insta from 300_AAC_Blackout_Drunk. I dont have nvgs as I know MO laws with them and hunting are real bullshitty, so I never have given them a serious look. Had some questions for you as a MO nvg user.
View Quote
Saw that and replied!
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Conner378:

They are sold at projektmonark.com and the photos are taken by ECPrevatte
View Quote
Thanks. Bookmarked for when their site gets out of "Under Construction."
Love the professional-grade tech-drawing look done that way; good stuff.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1221 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top