User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1170 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking forward to the PSA M4A1 lowers. I'll probably buy 2, and SBR one of them. Where's the most unobtrusive place to engrave an SBR lower these days? And how little text can you get away with?

While we're at it, where can you get a Prancing Pony logo engraved and re-anodized?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:
Looking forward to the PSA M4A1 lowers. I'll probably buy 2, and SBR one of them. Where's the most unobtrusive place to engrave an SBR lower these days? And how little text can you get away with?

While we're at it, where can you get a Prancing Pony logo engraved and re-anodized?
View Quote
Trigger area is my go to spot now.
Good luck getting a pony engraved. Wouldn't go very well on a psa marked lower anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Good news this morning: Kay from Knight's Armament said they want me to send back the whole rail kit and they will replace it with a brand new RIS with the correct markings. Just waiting on my RMA details. Glad it's going to work out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

I almost pulled the trigger on the same one you bought, but business travel got in the way and i forgot about it until you posted you snagged it.
Seems like prices are all over the map on RIS's. I'd bet you wanted that one because you thought it was new old stock - at least thats why i wanted it and was willing to pay that much for it. What a bummer. I'm sure they will make it right.

I'd do what RMiller said - send it back.
Good news this morning: Kay from Knight's Armament said they want me to send back the whole rail kit and they will replace it with a brand new RIS with the correct markings. Just waiting on my RMA details. Glad it's going to work out.
Right on, glad they took care of you. I figured they eventually would, but it's always a relief to have it confirmed: that would've been a nightmare to get stuck with a mismatched RIS set after paying that much.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Good luck getting a pony engraved. Wouldn't go very well on a psa marked lower anyway.
View Quote
Yeah inside the trigger guard area is the bomb. I just put my first/last name on one side & City/State on the other. Very unobtrusive.

Looking forward to the PSA M4A1s also but like Wissota I won’t be engraving anything on them.

(Now I’ll GBPSE)
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

I almost pulled the trigger on the same one you bought, but business travel got in the way and i forgot about it until you posted you snagged it.
Seems like prices are all over the map on RIS's. I'd bet you wanted that one because you thought it was new old stock - at least thats why i wanted it and was willing to pay that much for it. What a bummer. I'm sure they will make it right.

I'd do what RMiller said - send it back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:
Yeah inside the trigger guard area is the bomb. I just put my first/last name on one side & City/State on the other. Very unobtrusive.

Looking forward to the PSA M4A1s also but like Wissota I won’t be engraving anything on them.

(Now I’ll GBPSE)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:
Originally Posted By wissota4:

(Now I’ll GBPSE)
Did the same. I forget that I even did it there until I'm doing something and I happen to turn it over.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:51:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stinkypol] [#7]

View Quote
Veritas Machining did mine on the bottom edge of the magwell opening.

Here's a link to their page, about half way down.
https://www.veritasmachiningllc.com/nfaweapons
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Got my EXPS back from San Antonio Laser Engraving today with a cameo from their Hillary Prison Princess mag. Also purchased a SOCOM-SB so the NFA wait begins again

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice. Is that an actual QR code for the SN or just for show?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FDEinAZ:
Got my EXPS back from San Antonio Laser Engraving today with a cameo from their Hillary Prison Princess mag. Also purchased a SOCOM-SB so the NFA wait begins again

https://i.postimg.cc/gkkMXHsX/003-edit.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/XNgHYzf6/005-edit.jpg
View Quote
Nice, looks fantastic. Ankratz just finished cerakoting a hood for me, it's currently en route to the engraver for SU-231A markings. They did a great job on yours!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:12:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By daojag:
Nice. Is that an actual QR code for the SN or just for show?
View Quote
Actual QR for my SN.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:00:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Replaced some gas rings, tightened and restaked gas key.  One upper has shot out barrel.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Brownells had 10% off and 6% cash back today, so I decided to play RIS II lottery one more time :D. I figure best-case, I get an even more awesome RIS II; worst-case, I get a spare 10.3 barrel that I needed anyway.

I was also thinking about finally taking the plunge and ordering an NT4... but now it seems no one has any in stock :\. At least not at a (relatively) decent price. I'd found one for $1,340 when I was looking back in January, and they had stock last I checked a few weeks ago... now, nothin'.

Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

That's the only decent reason. Ability to flip it up with a LAM in the way. Generally speaking, its best to have your LAM pushed as far forward as possible. BUIS complicate that. I personally recently went from normal to flipped backward to no BUIS. Then I stripped the 5 years worth of paint off my 99051 and realized how Purdy it was, threw it back on.

You'll have to excuse the dbal fellas

https://i.imgur.com/Q82VIaW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JAXNqYI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XiQM67P.jpg
View Quote
Lucky bastige. That's pretty much the exact shade of anodized 99051 I'm looking for to use on my new build. Who knew what a snazzy 99051 you had lurking under all that rattle can ;p.

I saw one almost exactly like it on the EE maybe 6 months back and I almost bought it. Had no plan to build another CQBR at the time, so it seemed kinda unnecessary; I should've known you can never have too many 99051s :\.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By krdt:
Brownells had 10% off and 6% cash back today, so I decided to play RIS II lottery one more time :D. I figure best-case, I get an even more awesome RIS II; worst-case, I get a spare 10.3 barrel that I needed anyway.
View Quote
Dammit, I was going to do the same tonight and forgot the code ends at 2359 central time.  Man I really hope they have another 10% off in a couple days while AJ is still at 6%...wanted to get one for an extra 10.3” barrel.

Good luck on the RIS II loto!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By smitty_007:

Dammit, I was going to do the same tonight and forgot the code ends at 2359 central time.  Man I really hope they have another 10% off in a couple days while AJ is still at 6%...wanted to get one for an extra 10.3” barrel.

View Quote
Should have posted earlier. I want to play that lottery. I bought a rail off the ee but would love a lighter color. Hope they have a coupon soon while they are still on sale for 719 cause we get hit with tax and it brings the price back up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:28:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#16]
Range day with 6.5" of fresh powder and still snowing.  136m from catwalk to iron maiden.

Transition drill-multiple targets 25m.

CD
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:13:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Akin] [#17]

View All Quotes

How is it a loto? Don’t they all come with the RIS II?

Y’all use so many acronyms and slang, sometimes I wish there was a translation guide so I can keep up!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Akin:

How is it a loto? Don’t they all come with the RIS II?

Y’all use so many acronyms and slang, sometimes I wish there was a translation guide so I can keep up!
View Quote
Everyone hopes for a lighter color RIS, versus the normal new production chocolate color. It’s a lotto for how light or dark the rail is
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Replaced some gas rings, tightened and restaked gas key.  One upper has shot out barrel.
View Quote
How do you officially make the determination that a barrel is shot out? Gauge it somehow?

I ask because both my M4A1 and mk18 uppers are mil surp and while they shoot straight now I'm always curious how close to end of life they are having been once issued.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By conservakid:

How do you officially make the determination that a barrel is shot out? Gauge it somehow?

I ask because both my M4A1 and mk18 uppers are mil surp and while they shoot straight now I'm always curious how close to end of life they are having been once issued.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7815/40191603143_599984fa0b_k.jpg
View Quote
Yes, there is an official gage.  This one swallowed the gage.

CD
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
do my shopping skills just suck or has DD discontinued that rail?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Snaps:
View Quote
It's been a long time since the rail has been sold individually. Quite a few years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyPilot12] [#23]
View Quote
I don't think it's discontinued, they're just not selling the rail by itself right now. I asked in their industry forum and received no answer. I ended up buying a M4A1 stripped upper from Brownell's, just to get the M4A1 RIS II rail and will sell off everything else. Probably have to do the same to get the Mk18 RIS II. Looks like they are trying to use the rails to drive more upper and complete rifle sales.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

It's been a long time since the rail has been sold individually. Quite a few years.
View Quote
well this was a new project idea for me.... Well onto the next idea i suppose
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

You can still find them quite easily individually on the EE
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and several options for acquiring an Mk18 RIS II - EE, Brownells stripped URGs, etc. I'll soon have three of them, lol.

I'll be posting one of the three up on the EE in a week or so.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#27]

I was also thinking about finally taking the plunge and ordering an NT4... but now it seems no one has any in stock :\. At least not at a (relatively) decent price. I'd found one for $1,340 when I was looking back in January, and they had stock last I checked a few weeks ago... now, nothin'.

https://i.imgur.com/I1MWyo4.jpg

Lucky bastige. That's pretty much the exact shade of anodized 99051 I'm looking for to use on my new build. Who knew what a snazzy 99051 you had lurking under all that rattle can ;p.

I saw one almost exactly like it on the EE maybe 6 months back and I almost bought it. Had no plan to build another CQBR at the time, so it seemed kinda unnecessary; I should've known you can never have too many 99051s :\.
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/I1MWyo4.jpg

That's the only decent reason. Ability to flip it up with a LAM in the way. Generally speaking, its best to have your LAM pushed as far forward as possible. BUIS complicate that. I personally recently went from normal to flipped backward to no BUIS. Then I stripped the 5 years worth of paint off my 99051 and realized how Purdy it was, threw it back on.

Dude I have regretted every 99051 I have ever gotten rid of. this is my fourth one. Got lucky on this one via @Stealthguy who's queer and doesn't CQBR anymore.

Ill be keeping this un'.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Range day with 6.5" of fresh powder and still snowing.  136m from catwalk to iron maiden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkMqauu5-Yk

Transition drill-multiple targets 25m.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbVhpBNhjQw

CD
View Quote
Looks like fun CD.  I miss those days of checking out the range book and grabbing a can of ammo and shooting until I was tired of it.  Thanks for the fun posts CD
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
How did you safely get the paint off? I have a couple of used parts I bought that I would like to get back to original but I don't want to hurt the original finish.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M4arc:
How did you safely get the paint off? I have a couple of used parts I bought that I would like to get back to original but I don't want to hurt the original finish.
View All Quotes

Its funny you asked. I usually use citristip which takes a couple of coats and burns the skin.

This time I looked at my box of alcohol wipes and figured what the fuck- good idea fairy.

Scrubbing that thing with 4 alcohol wipes totally removed who knows how many years worth and layers of baked on paint. It worked more effectively than citri. Won't damage the finish either.

Higher alcohol content the better. (Would aim for 91 percent isopropyl) - mine were 70 percent.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Hopefully this is Mk18 enough to be posted in here.

I have an LMT Gen1 coming today to replace the N1 as I really don't like it. I also switched out the 3P for the Surefire brake to hopefully prevent premature wear on my SOCOM RC that I should have this summer sometime, hence the Warden.

Link Posted: 2/20/2019 2:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSchell1309] [#32]

View Quote
I have had good luck with using acetone in an aerosol spray, I want to say it's Goof Off brand. Acetone should be safe to use on anodized aluminum parts and shouldn't mess with the anodized layer. Keep it off any other polymer parts on your gun, like your grip, stock, and rail covers.

Always best to test a small patch of your paint remover on a surface of the part that will never be seen.

Just do it slowly and a small area at a time. Always best to spray, wipe, use a clean section of cloth, spray, wipe, new section, etc. Don't get crazy with scrubbing, just spray and wipe, let the acetone do it's job in making the polymer paint soluble.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#33]
How common are the PRI Gasbusters on Mk18 Mod 1's and longer Block II rifles?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Its funny you asked. I usually use citristip which takes a couple of coats and burns the skin.

This time I looked at my box of alcohol wipes and figured what the fuck- good idea fairy.

Scrubbing that thing with 4 alcohol wipes totally removed who knows how many years worth and layers of baked on paint. It worked more effectively than citri. Won't damage the finish either.

Higher alcohol content the better. (Would aim for 91 percent isopropyl) - mine were 70 percent.
View Quote
Thanks! Its working like a champ! I only have 70% ones right now but it's getting the layers of paint off my AN/PEQ-2A really well!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks! Its working like a champ! I only have 70% ones right now but it's getting the layers of paint off my AN/PEQ-2A really well!
View All Quotes

I was really surprised with how well these things work. Cheap as shit, too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Dude I have regretted every 99051 I have ever gotten rid of. this is my fourth one. Got lucky on this one via @Stealthguy who's queer and doesn't CQBR anymore.

Ill be keeping this un'.
View Quote
I have the same upper. It’s just a little bit longer.

So basically, it’s just like our cocks.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

Ill be keeping this un'.

Should I even ask how you know what my cock looks like?

Told you he's queer. 👉👈
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Yeah, this. When can we expect them?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:29:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SlasherMcGee] [#39]
Originally Posted By socommatthews:

I have an LMT Gen1 coming today to replace the N1 as I really don't like it. I also switched out the 3P for the Surefire brake to hopefully prevent premature wear on my SOCOM RC that I should have this summer sometime, hence the Warden.

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o709/vickmacky/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20190220_111356_zpssbeissg7.jpg
View Quote
Lookin good
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By socommatthews:

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o709/vickmacky/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20190220_111356_zpssbeissg7.jpg
View Quote
God that’s fucking hot

Can’t wait for my Mk18 upper to show up, then I get to track down the taupe 99051 and a brown RIS II Rail for it
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Subiescott:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Subiescott:

Josh at PSA said last night that they are checking to make sure everything is correct (marking style).  3 weeks.

Originally Posted By Swanson2255:
How common are the PRI Gasbusters on Mk18 Mod 1's and longer Block II rifles?
Common on about 20-25% of guns.  I have some on had when I rebuild.  Don't always install them as not enough to replace every standard charging handle.

CD
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_6670_jpg-851615.JPG

CD
View Quote
With all the variations of rails, lengths, and FSB or not, is it an individual choice on how the guns are set up?  Pretty neat to see the variations
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

With all the variations of rails, lengths, and FSB or not, is it an individual choice on how the guns are set up?  Pretty neat to see the variations
View Quote
They may set the guns up with what is issued or go buy it.  Lots of personal optics used.  However basic workings of the gun are left stock.

CD
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Are the Badger Ordnance MK12 gas blocks an acceptable alternative for a clone?
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Are the Badger Ordnance MK12 gas blocks an acceptable alternative for a clone?
View Quote
Yes

CD
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Yes

CD
View Quote
Thanks. I thought I had one then remember I used it for this build. Probably a dumb move on my part because I had other gas blocks I could have used. Instead I used the one I need for my MK18 clone build

WARNING: NOT a 10.3"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Light, nimble, accurate....one of my favorite shorties.

Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Would someone care to provide a rundown of the various devices used on top of the rail and what they do? I'm not familiar with any of that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Would someone care to provide a rundown of the various devices used on top of the rail and what they do? I'm not familiar with any of that stuff.
View Quote
Flash light for illumination, a PEQ box that’s usually straddled on the 12 o’clock rail, that’s used to laze targets for ID/engagement under NVGs. They have a visible laser, too, though I never use mine for that. Also has an IR illuminator that works as a spot light under NVGs.

Then you have a tape switch for either or both devices mentioned above.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By billytehbob:

Flash light for illumination, a PEQ box that’s usually straddled on the 12 o’clock rail, that’s used to laze targets for ID/engagement under NVGs. They have a visible laser, too, though I never use mine for that. Also has an IR illuminator that works as a spot light under NVGs.

Then you have a tape switch for either or both devices mentioned above.
View Quote
So I guess if you dont have NV it doesnt matter.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1170 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top