User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1422 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m on too many sites.  I forgot what I posted where.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:50:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm debating to build one with a KAC FF RAS with a FSB or another one with a a DD RIS II.

I see black RIS II rails available, but the FDE ones are expected months out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:
I'm debating to build one with a KAC FF RAS with a FSB or another one with a a DD RIS II.

View Quote

Tan ones commonly pop up on the EE.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks well balanced.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Conner378:
Can somebody with a real su230 post pics of the uid under the bottom right of their optic when looking down sight. I was gonna get another made but unsure on the layout of the serial on how it’s typed up. All the pics of my old setup don’t show the whole deal.
Pics of old setup-
https://i.postimg.cc/W3NBF5jX/A86-FC360-5-CFB-4-FED-A860-75-D4-C502-AAAD.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Can somebody with a real su230 post pics of the uid under the bottom right of their optic when looking down sight. I was gonna get another made but unsure on the layout of the serial on how it’s typed up. All the pics of my old setup don’t show the whole deal.
Pics of old setup-

"903215" followed by your individual Elcan serial is correct for Gen3 SU230s.
Keep in mind if you are using CLW, their Elcan Uid's are about an 1/8th of an inch short height wise. (No one will ever notice though)
Also, he has a 12 character limit on the Serial number portion. You can enter the full "903215-xx-xxxx" serial, just add notes saying you want a more "correct" Uid

Originally Posted By Dyzastr:
Were the 1.5-6x elcan used seen on m4 cqbr's very often? Or were they more for m4’s/ scars?

Pic compliments of CD.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:

https://i.imgur.com/t4VX7Wr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/a61s3Ly.jpg
Keep in mind if you are using CLW, their Elcan Uid's are about an 1/8th of an inch short height wise. (No one will ever notice though)
Also, he has a 12 character limit on the Serial number portion. You can enter the full "903215-xx-xxxx" serial, just add notes saying you want a more "correct" Uid

Pic compliments of CD.
https://i.imgur.com/lGGeWgw.jpg
View Quote

902896 was also used as a serial prefix, not sure when the transition was made to 903215, if one is earlier and one is later or what the difference is. I've spoken with CLW a few times and he can accomodate the 13 characters for the serial on the elcan uids. They are not to exact specs or made from the same material but will suffice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Air_Soft_Contractor:

Thanks, I've been watching for them.

I just missed the last one at Primary Arms, by a day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JonnyMoses:
902896 was also used as a serial prefix, not sure when the transition was made to 903215, if one is earlier and one is later or what the difference is. I've spoken with CLW a few times and he can accomodate the 13 characters for the serial on the elcan uids. They are not to exact specs or made from the same material but will suffice.
View Quote

Correct, 902896 were used on Gen2 Su230s.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmdexe] [#10]

Correct, 902896 were used on Gen2 Su230s.
https://i.imgur.com/rf3Fz9Mh.jpg
View Quote

Not just Gen2. Here is a pic of one of my early su230s with a 902986 prefix. 903215 is correct I'm assuming for mid to late models, as all my newer su230s, including my HD models have 903215 prefixes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By JonnyMoses:
Not just Gen2. Here is a pic of one of my early su230s with a 902986 prefix.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/265309/thumbnail_IMG_7779_jpg-1849873.JPG
View Quote

Interesting.
I bet that's an early 10 series Elcan.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Air_Soft_Contractor] [#12]
I opened my MK18 RIS II rail box from Daniel Defense and the rail is sealed in plastic, but I don't see an instruction sheet / card that used to come with them.

The wrench and hardware are in separate plastic bags.

The ladder rail covers are inside the rail.

Are the instructions missing or are they not included anymore?

I did find the instructions in PDF.
https://danieldefense.com/media/asset/r/i/ris_ii_instructions.pdf

The old Lite Rail instructions say the same barrel nut should be 40 ft/lbs.

The RIS II instructions say 55 ft/lbs with the same barrel nut wrench.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 4:52:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brodband8] [#13]
glitch
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Clone pic

And a Wednesday vibes pic.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Where are the socks
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

Where are the socks
View Quote

SecretSquirrell had PM'd me that he wanted them... and specifically not to wash them. So I shipped them off to their new owner. Pay it forward as they say.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Brownell's just posted mk18 uppers with handguards minus charging handle, muzzle device and bcg for anyone that's been looking.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
Brownell's just posted mk18 uppers with handguards minus charging handle, muzzle device and bcg for anyone that's been looking.
View Quote
yeah i'm tempted.  is there any 10% off coupons out there?  I have one for $40 off.  But $90 off would be awesome.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#19]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
View Quote

Just a head's up... The description says 10.3" but the accompanying video says 10.5".
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldn’t worry about that because I don’t think DD even makes a 10.5
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#21]
Repost but I don’t give a shit, leaf sight and fast in the wild makes my pants tight.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

Just a head's up... The description says 10.3" but the accompanying video says 10.5".
View Quote

I caught that as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
I'm pretty sure this rifle has the same operator as the 11.5 URGI that was just posted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
I'm pretty sure this rifle has the same operator as the 11.5 URGI that was just posted.
View Quote

Interesting..
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
yeah i'm tempted.  is there any 10% off coupons out there?  I have one for $40 off.  But $90 off would be awesome.  
View Quote

Tempted also...miss the days of $600 after all the discounts.

$40 off code is all I’m aware of right now.  Haven’t seen a 10% off in well over a year.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Just for reference...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I've got some questions about the MK18 FSP upper receiver.  I understand that they were very rare, with not too many of them every made by Daniel Defense.  Were these ever issued?  During which years were they issued?  Are there any pictures of them in the wild?

If I were attempting to build a "clone correct" MK18 FSP, what upper and barrel would I be looking at using?

Do these uppers pre-date cage codes or would one be kosher?  I assume that the barrel must be a cut-down 14.5, but how much grief would I get running a current production factory 10.3 fsb barrel (cage code)?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#28]
Originally Posted By daylapaul:
I've got some questions about the MK18 FSP upper receiver.  I understand that they were very rare, with not too many of them every made by Daniel Defense.  Were these ever issued?  During which years were they issued?  Are there any pictures of them in the wild?

If I were attempting to build a "clone correct" MK18 FSP, what upper and barrel would I be looking at using?

Do these uppers pre-date cage codes or would one be kosher?  I assume that the barrel must be a cut-down 14.5, but how much grief would I get running a current production factory 10.3 fsb barrel (cage code)?
View Quote
The answer is no they were not issued.

if you want to scratch the clone and fsp itch try the 28th eod cqbr.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:

SecretSquirrell had PM'd me that he wanted them... and specifically not to wash them. So I shipped them off to their new owner. Pay it forward as they say.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZ_SBR:
Originally Posted By Bhavin22:

Where are the socks

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Cross-posting this from the M4A1 Block II thread where I haven't seen any action lately.

For those in the know, were the MRDS used on the Elcans (Insight, Docter, etc.) generally the 3.5 MOA versions or the larger 7.0 MOA versions? I am just curious which size would be considered "clone correct". Note that even if the smaller MOA versions are correct, I may still go with the higher MOA because my eyes are starting to suck.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By mdavis:
Cross-posting this from the M4A1 Block II thread where I haven't seen any action lately.

For those in the know, were the MRDS used on the Elcans (Insight, Docter, etc.) generally the 3.5 MOA versions or the larger 7.0 MOA versions? I am just curious which size would be considered "clone correct". Note that even if the smaller MOA versions are correct, I may still go with the higher MOA because my eyes are starting to suck.
View Quote

7.0 MOA just seems like a massive dot size. I suppose for CQB it would be fine, but I'm so used to Aimpoint reticles I couldn't imagine going that large.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I bought the DD Mk18 pistol because it looked cool and the Navy SEALs use it but now I keep reading about 11 1/2 inch barrels like that’s the greatest thing I know it’s only 1.2 inches more. should I feel bad and I keep reading about overgassing.  are these actual practical concerns? I plan on using this as my home defense rifle loaded with green tip. I read somewhere online That although the SEALs use the mark 18 devgru does not. any truth to this?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:20:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#34]
Originally Posted By DougFresh:
I bought the DD Mk18 pistol because it looked cool and the Navy SEALs use it but now I keep reading about 11 1/2 inch barrels like that's the greatest thing I know it's only 1.2 inches more. should I feel bad and I keep reading about overgassing.  are these actual practical concerns? I plan on using this as my home defense rifle loaded with green tip. I read somewhere online That although the SEALs use the mark 18 devgru does not. any truth to this?
View Quote
Oh boy there is allot to decompress in this statement....

quick simple answers.
seals don't use the DD MK18, but they do use more or less the same thing. 11.5 is what USASOC is going w/ in the CQBR URGI. Your dd Mk18 will work just fine but I wouldn't use green tip for home defense. And finally, correct DEVGRU use to use the 416 for awhile and now are moving over to the noveske
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

I have the rail already and was originally planning to build it up as "clone correct" as possible.  But since they were never issued I guess I have some discretion over what parts to use.

My plan then is to just take a current production cage code upper and mate it with a current production cage code 10.3 fsb barrel and call it done.

Any fault to that logic?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#36]

I have the rail already and was originally planning to build it up as "clone correct" as possible.  But since they were never issued I guess I have some discretion over what parts to use.

My plan then is to just take a current production cage code upper and mate it with a current production cage code 10.3 fsb barrel and call it done.

Any fault to that logic?
View Quote
Nah I'd say that's the best route to go.

pic thread:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Pic compliments of CD.
View All Quotes
Can somebody with a real su230 post pics of the uid under the bottom right of their optic when looking down sight. I was gonna get another made but unsure on the layout of the serial on how it's typed up. All the pics of my old setup don't show the whole deal.
Pics of old setup-

Were the 1.5-6x elcan used seen on m4 cqbr's very often? Or were they more for m4's/ scars?

Pic compliments of CD.
Nice. If it's out there, cd prob already posted a pic. Definitely not as aesthetically pleasing as the su230, but it's 6x, so that has to count for somethin.  All these recent pics of the elcan that got away (long story) has me jonesin pretty hard. I'll just stick with all my 1x optics until another chance arises.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I bought the DD Mk18 pistol because it looked cool and the Navy SEALs use it but now I keep reading about 11 1/2 inch barrels like that’s the greatest thing I know it’s only 1.2 inches more. should I feel bad and I keep reading about overgassing.  are these actual practical concerns? I plan on using this as my home defense rifle loaded with green tip. I read somewhere online That although the SEALs use the mark 18 devgru does not. any truth to this?
View Quote

I hope you will be using a suppressor. You’re not going to want to shoot down a residential hallway without one.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By lueds24:

I hope you will be using a suppressor. You're not going to want to shoot down a residential hallway without one.
View Quote
Him: WHAT YOU SAY?!?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:21:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#40]
I finally started to read through the manual.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
(In terrible Australian accent) That's not a cqbr scope, this is a cqbr scope!
id be interested to see what kind of damage the muzzle blast does to the sunshade when fired without suppression.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Any fault to that logic?
View All Quotes

Any fault to that logic?

The most correct thing to do with a Mk18 RIS II FSP would be to use circa 2006 upper, M4 barrel cut down to 10.3", NT4, and early Block II accessories.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:38:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TinyCrumb] [#43]
View Quote

Yes, you should definitely feel bad and be worried about it. The entirety of socom that has standardized on 10.3" barrels since the early 2000's basically just have guns that don't work. Every time we go to war with partnering countries our operators usually just line up behind guys with 11.5" barrels so they don't have to shoot their broken, over-gassed guns. Our entire SOF is kind of the laughing stock of the world because of this and nobody takes us seriously. They mostly just use them for "show" at this point, like PR events because they look cool. But in terms of an actual functioning firearm, 11.5" is the only length that actually works.

A lot of the cool guys will just buy 11.5" uppers from Aero, PSA and the like and sneak them over in their luggage and swap them out when nobody is looking.

If you just want to take pictures of them, it's fine, but if you're planning on defending you're home with green tip you might at least want a rifle that works, I.e., 11.5".
---------------
To actually answer your questions:

- It's a short barrel with short dwell time, so parts are going to wear out quicker than on a 20" M-16. But as long as you keep up with maintenance you're fine. Keep it lubed. You'll want to keep an eye on gas port erosion after thousands and thousands of rounds, especially if quickly fired or full-auto & suppressed. Keep an eye on your gas rings. Replace springs at recommended intervals.

- 10.X" barrels, because of their short dwell time can be slightly pickier about ammo than 11.5" barrels, that's really the only practical concern to be aware of. Their "range" of operability is a little bit smaller. Make sure you have a mil-spec barrel with the correct size gas port (.070) and then only shoot military-equivalent loads through it, basically full power 5.56. It may not cycle unsuppressed with lower-pressure .223 or steel case ammo.

- Green tip is a really poor option in general. For home defense look at something like Black Hills 77gr or Hornady Tap 75gr. Green tip is fine for plinking/range ammo.

- DEVGRU has access to alternative supply chains than "vanilla SEALs", so yes, there is truth to that. They have been using the 10.4" HK416 for quite awhile and are currently transitioning to a 10.5" Noveske DI system in both 5.56 and 300 Blackout.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:

Yes, you should definitely feel bad and be worried about it. The entirety of socom that has standardized on 10.3" barrels since the early 2000's basically just have guns that don't work. Every time we go to war with partnering countries our operators usually just line up behind guys with 11.5" barrels so they don't have to shoot their broken, over-gassed guns. They mostly just use them for "show" at this point, like PR events because they look cool. But in terms of an actual functioning firearm, 11.5" is the only length that actually works.

A lot of the cool guys will just buy 11.5" uppers from Aero, PSA and the like and sneak them over in their luggage and swap them out when nobody is looking.

If you just want to take pictures of them, it's fine, but if you're planning on defending you're home with green tip you might at least want a rifle that works, I.e., 11.5".
View Quote

The sass.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 1:08:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#45]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

The sass.
View All Quotes

Yes, you should definitely feel bad and be worried about it. The entirety of socom that has standardized on 10.3" barrels since the early 2000's basically just have guns that don't work. Every time we go to war with partnering countries our operators usually just line up behind guys with 11.5" barrels so they don't have to shoot their broken, over-gassed guns. They mostly just use them for "show" at this point, like PR events because they look cool. But in terms of an actual functioning firearm, 11.5" is the only length that actually works.

The sass.
This is the cqbr thread. No room for sass in here.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#46]

Yes, you should definitely feel bad and be worried about it. The entirety of socom that has standardized on 10.3" barrels since the early 2000's basically just have guns that don't work. Every time we go to war with partnering countries our operators usually just line up behind guys with 11.5" barrels so they don't have to shoot their broken, over-gassed guns. Our entire SOF is kind of the laughing stock of the world because of this and nobody takes us seriously. They mostly just use them for "show" at this point, like PR events because they look cool. But in terms of an actual functioning firearm, 11.5" is the only length that actually works.

---------------
To actually answer your questions:

- It's a short barrel with short dwell time, so parts are going to wear out quicker than on a 20" M-16. But as long as you keep up with maintenance you're fine. Keep it lubed. You'll want to keep an eye on gas port erosion after thousands and thousands of rounds, especially if quickly fired or full-auto & suppressed. Keep an eye on your gas rings. Replace springs at recommended intervals.

- 10.X" barrels, because of their short dwell time can be slightly pickier about ammo than 11.5" barrels, that's really the only practical concern to be aware of. Their "range" of operability is a little bit smaller. Make sure you have a mil-spec barrel with the correct size gas port (.070) and then only shoot military-equivalent loads through it, basically full power 5.56. It may not cycle unsuppressed with lower-pressure .223 or steel case ammo.

- Green tip is a really poor option in general. For home defense look at something like Black Hills 77gr or Hornady Tap 75gr. Green tip is fine for plinking/range ammo.

- DEVGRU has access to alternative supply chains than "vanilla SEALs", so yes, there is truth to that. They have been using the 10.4" HK416 for quite awhile and are currently transitioning to a 10.5" Noveske DI system in both 5.56 and 300 Blackout.
View Quote

Where are we getting the info that DEVGRU is switching from HK 416s over to Noveske 10.5" systems? I know all about the spotting of the gen 3 Noveskes with ATACRs mounted but everything else I could find was on Airsoft boards and Japanese gun blogs. Are we sure these aren't just SMU COT purchases?

https://teppoblog.com/noveske/

EDIT:

Did a little searching and it looks like Clasky (who is reputable) is vouching for this.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#47]
id be interested to see what kind of damage the muzzle blast does to the sunshade when fired without suppression.
View All Quotes

IIRC the shade hits the front sight so I couldn't completely lock it down. Otherwise, I might have attempted shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#48]
This is the cqbr thread. No room for sass in here.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/4765AA7D-766D-48C7-BF4B-F1264E7195A8_jpe-1851107.JPG
View All Quotes

The sass.
This is the cqbr thread. No room for sass in here.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/471387/4765AA7D-766D-48C7-BF4B-F1264E7195A8_jpe-1851107.JPG

My SASS is the wrong color.

Wait....was that racist?

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

My SASS is the wrong color.

Wait....was that racist?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/20201230_125323-1755169.jpg
View Quote

Never did get my sr25. Probably never will at this point .
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the replies guys. I admit I am a bit light on knowledge about the AR 15 I bought the Daniel defense iMK 18 because I’m worried I won’t be able to buy an AR pistol in the next few months. I really wanted a shorter barrel HKMR556 but I don’t we’re ever going to get it because everybody on the forum says HK hates us.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 1422 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top