Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Are these a different product than what New Frontier sells? If so, weight?
View Quote
Lol, i don't have the triggers yet. They are/were different, i suspect the new frontier plastic triggers are/were the original plum crazy triggers. My gen 2 new frontier hammer looks identical to the one in that video. I think new frontier has just been selling rebranded plum crazy stuff. ALSO i would like to see breastroker's 4.1 oz U weight for the stripped blackthorne upper in the PWD. It would be very helpful for anyone looking to build their rifle as light as possible. Another note, BRDC's aluminum carrier weighs 3.867 oz, not the shooting innovations one. https://imgur.com/GsxSX9w This image is from BRDC's facebook page from when me and ahrion were interrogating them, lol. Of course on their website they still have 3.5 oz posted as the weight WITH key. And apparently there are 2 models now, the model with the steel OR titanium skid plate costs $25 more. ROFL, looks like they settled on steel! Rainier has the weight for the shooting innovations bolt carrier GROUP at 5.9 oz, which is already in the PWD.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Any one ever try an aluminum bolt catch before? I can see it being a disposable part like an aluminum bcg. This place called PAMAX Tactical has some. It's probably the lightest bolt catch there is even though it clearly seems to be a knock off B.A.D bolt catch but made of aluminum. I might try one just to see how durable it is. I wonder how much lighter it is than my moded titanium bolt catch. My guess is that it weighs around 4 grams since my titanium one weighs 6 grams.
https://www.pmtactical.com/product-page/ar15-enhanced-aluminum-bolt-catch-release

Can't wait till those incognito arms stocks start shipping, at this rate breaking 3 lbs is guaranteed. I also got my 14.5 barrel back from rainier arms today. I took a couple of quick pics just in case anyone wants to see how their titanium muzzle brake pinning and welding work looks like.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ea0OQqRcmIf0cBWowkiuZNPFKfXKjTc_
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 7:57:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#3]
Originally Posted By Luv863:
Any one ever try an aluminum bolt catch before? I can see it being a disposable part like an aluminum bcg. This place called PAMAX Tactical has some. It's probably the lightest bolt catch there is even though it clearly seems to be a knock off B.A.D bolt catch but made of aluminum. I might try one just to see how durable it is. I wonder how much lighter it is than my moded titanium bolt catch. My guess is that it weighs around 4 grams since my titanium one weighs 6 grams.
https://www.pmtactical.com/product-page/ar15-enhanced-aluminum-bolt-catch-release

Can't wait till those incognito arms stocks start shipping, at this rate breaking 3 lbs is guaranteed. I also got my 14.5 barrel back from rainier arms today. I took a couple of quick pics just in case anyone wants to see how their titanium muzzle brake pinning and welding work looks like.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ea0OQqRcmIf0cBWowkiuZNPFKfXKjTc_
View Quote
:O Well that's pretty much guaranteed to break... It might be ok in my 5.56 with the nemo 300 blk spring. I'm wondering if i want to try that in my 308... :) I got 2 on the way, lets see how this goes...
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: asorel] [#4]
Originally Posted By pscot468:[/b]

My experience has been great. The gas key had damn good staking AND red loctite. Maybe they started doing that after they started getting problems. Did I mention how little gas it needs to cycle??? I run it full auto too, zero issues with a standard carbine buffer, even with 223 reloads from freedom. I do use a sharps extreme performance bolt with springco 5 coil extractor spring, o ring, delrin insert, and ejector spring though. The bolt it shipped with had a 4 coil xp extractor spring, it appeared to be good quality
View Quote
Apologies for the necro. So the Sharps bolt has been holding up well for you? Any reason you picked Sharps over the other "enhanced" bolt assemblies out there, such as the JP, or LMT's offering? One thing that sticks out to me is the NP3 coating. My barrel extension (Faxon match series) is NP3-coated as well, so I imagine lubricity would be good.

I did end up picking up a Blackdiamond BCG from Iron City by the way, thanks in part to your endorsement. Worse comes to worst, OpticsPlanet has a pretty forgiving returns policy so it shouldn't be too big a setback for me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By asorel:
Apologies for the necro. So the Sharps bolt has been holding up well for you? Any reason you picked Sharps over the other "enhanced" bolt assemblies out there, such as the JP, or LMT's offering? One thing that sticks out to me is the NP3 coating. My barrel extension (Faxon match series) is NP3-coated as well, so I imagine lubricity would be good.

I did end up picking up a Blackdiamond BCG from Iron City by the way, thanks in part to your endorsement. Worse comes to worst, OpticsPlanet has a pretty forgiving returns policy so it shouldn't be too big a setback for me.
View Quote
It's all good, i had never read anything bad about it. I will keep my eyes on the gas key, better safe than sorry. I have used the NP3 coated reliabolt before, it's great but i'm currently using the black dlc coated Xtreme performance bolt from sharps. I went with sharps because they use a much harder steel than the others. When they first came out they had bolt breakages but it was a heat treating issue. I believe you will be happy with the iron city bolt though, it appears to be high quality. I put more even more money into my "duty" guns than my lightweights, i like to throw every dollar i can at attaining reliability. Spikes tactical makes ion bonded gas rings too, they are a great product. They started making them because their "compressor" SBR was eating up regular gas rings in only a few thousand rounds. The ion bonded gas rings lasted as long as the 7.5 in FN doubled chrome, cold hammer forged barrels.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:43:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#6]
The entire plum crazy parts kit comes in at 126 grams. Trigger group is 17 grams. Takedown and pivot pins 3 grams. Magazine catch with spring is 3.5ish grams. Magazine catch button and bolt catch detent according to my scale TOGETHER are 0 grams, rofl. I need a better scale... Safety selector is 3 grams. Pretty light stuff!!! And the hammer is identical to the one new frontier sent me out as a replacement. All these parts look and feel different than the old school NFA polymer parts. They do feel like they are higher quality.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

It's all good, i had never read anything bad about it. I will keep my eyes on the gas key, better safe than sorry. I have used the NP3 coated reliabolt before, it's great but i'm currently using the black dlc coated Xtreme performance bolt from sharps. I went with sharps because they use a much harder steel than the others. When they first came out they had bolt breakages but it was a heat treating issue. I believe you will be happy with the iron city bolt though, it appears to be high quality. I put more even more money into my "duty" guns than my lightweights, i like to throw every dollar i can at attaining reliability. Spikes tactical makes ion bonded gas rings too, they are a great product. They started making them because their "compressor" SBR was eating up regular gas rings in only a few thousand rounds. The ion bonded gas rings lasted as long as the 7.5 in FN doubled chrome, cold hammer forged barrels.
View Quote
I'm trying to make a lightweight that's also a duty gun (crazy, right?), so I'm interested in upping reliability a bit. In your view, is there any reason not to go with DLC over NP3? A bit of light reading on each coating shows both have similar lubricity, and both are "corrosion resistant," although I haven't seen any info comparing one to the other yet. DLC is much harder, and much thinner than NP3, at only a couple microns, so I imagine there isn't any need to "undersize" components before applying the coating. Does NP3 have any corresponding plusses over DLC, besides cost?
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:36:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#8]

I'm trying to make a lightweight that's also a duty gun (crazy, right?), so I'm interested in upping reliability a bit. In your view, is there any reason not to go with DLC over NP3? A bit of light reading on each coating shows both have similar lubricity, and both are "corrosion resistant," although I haven't seen any info comparing one to the other yet. DLC is much harder, and much thinner than NP3, at only a couple microns, so I imagine there isn't any need to "undersize" components before applying the coating. Does NP3 have any corresponding plusses over DLC, besides cost?
View Quote
That's not crazy, that's just ideal! ?? My duty 308 is under 7.5 lbs, my duty 5.56 is under 6, they both have heavy fn machine gun barrels. I'll get pics up when my 308 is back from the shop. The dlc can handle more heat and it's black, lol. That's about the difference. Also it doesn't wear off as easily, that np3 can flake a little. The sharps dlc isn't quite as slick as iron cities, but it's still great! Also they don't coat the extractor. What kind of barrel are you using? You thinking about an echo trigger? Lol it's great fun! Not just fun though, it's a fantastic trigger for a duty gun.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a carbon fiber mil-spec buffer tube:

Link
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DekNgo:

Link
View Quote
Damn that's pricey!!! Lol did I mention that ar 15 shop sent me yet another polymer buffer tube? I didn't even order one with this order, lol I just got 2 polymer lpk's
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 8:55:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: asorel] [#11]

That's not crazy, that's just ideal! ?? My duty 308 is under 7.5 lbs, my duty 5.56 is under 6, they both have heavy fn machine gun barrels. I'll get pics up when my 308 is back from the shop. The dlc can handle more heat and it's black, lol. That's about the difference. Also it doesn't wear off as easily, that np3 can flake a little. The sharps dlc isn't quite as slick as iron cities, but it's still great! Also they don't coat the extractor. What kind of barrel are you using? You thinking about an echo trigger? Lol it's great fun! Not just fun though, it's a fantastic trigger for a duty gun.
View Quote
Yeah, I guessed flaking would be an issue too, as NP3 is basically NiB with some Teflon sprinkled in, and NiB has a reputation for flaking. I was thinking about the KE arms SLT-2 for a trigger. Binary triggers are cool and all, but the way the SLT seals all the moving parts up in the housing lends itself better to reliability. Being able to activate the safety anytime is nice too, if a bit niche. It's also absurdly light at just over an ounce, which obviously isn't the end-all be-all in a duty gun but it's a nice touch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I guessed flaking would be an issue too, as NP3 is basically NiB with some Teflon sprinkled in, and NiB has a reputation for flaking. I was thinking about the KE arms SLT-2 for a trigger. Binary triggers are cool and all, but the way the SLT seals all the moving parts up in the housing lends itself better to reliability. Being able to activate the safety anytime is nice too, if a bit niche. It's also absurdly light at just over an ounce, which obviously isn't the end-all be-all in a duty gun but it's a nice touch.
View Quote
You'd be surprised how reliable a trigger the echo is. It's basically a modified hiperfire. Has a good, strong hammer spring too and a very positive reset.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 9:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: asorel] [#13]

You'd be surprised how reliable a trigger the echo is. It's basically a modified hiperfire. Has a good, strong hammer spring too and a very positive reset.
View Quote
I don't doubt that, from what I've heard they're very fine triggers. The thing that the SLT does for reliability that no other trigger I've seen so far is physically seal up every moving part--the sear, the "sear link" (functions as a disconnector), every moving part besides the hammer itself is closed off in the aluminum housing at the bottom of the trigger. This way there's no way for fouling, incoming dirt, or anything else to get into the FCG and muck things up.

Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a tough call, but I think I'm going to end up going for the V7 2055 receiver set over the Master of Arms Esoteric. It's slightly heavier, and doesn't have a threaded bolt catch pin or takedown detent holes, but it has mag release fencing, a bigger trigger guard and short-throw selector markings. I've got the option to install a dust cover too, if I'm so inclined.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a tough call, but I think I'm going to end up going for the V7 2055 receiver set over the Master of Arms Esoteric. It's slightly heavier, and doesn't have a threaded bolt catch pin or takedown detent holes, but it has mag release fencing, a bigger trigger guard and short-throw selector markings. I've got the option to install a dust cover too, if I'm so inclined.
View Quote
They're both great choices. 2055 is an impressive alloy too. I didn't know the esoteric didn't have a port door. I like port doors!!! Just ask jek :D
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:14:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#16]
bah, we don't need no stinkin' port doors!

PWD update: all U data added. Also, a user requested a weight/length ratio in the FF rail sheet, so I added a column for that. It's ounces per inch. No surprise, the 15" brigand arms offering wins that particular race. Just 0.33oz/inch! I'm honestly not sure how many people will find that kind of trivia useful, but it was super easy to add so I figured "why not?".

Same thing could be added for barrels, I guess...but would anyone be interested in that? All people really care about is the weight of a part, no?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Is the vorn usa upper that weighs 7.1 oz in the PWD the same as the one that's on their website that says it weighs 5.7 oz? I was thinking of buying one for a different build that I am doing but not if it weighs 7.1 oz.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#18]
bah, we don't need no stinkin' port doors!

PWD update: all U data added. Also, a user requested a weight/length ratio in the FF rail sheet, so I added a column for that. It's ounces per inch. No surprise, the 15" brigand arms offering wins that particular race. Just 0.33oz/inch! I'm honestly not sure how many people will find that kind of trivia useful, but it was super easy to add so I figured "why not?".

Same thing could be added for barrels, I guess...but would anyone be interested in that? All people really care about is the weight of a part, no?
View Quote
Lol I'll get you some u weights for the new aluminum bolt catch soon. I fully expect it to break on my 308, lol probably within the first 200 rounds. But I'll press forward. For the cause!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Lol I'll get you some u weights for the new aluminum bolt catch soon. I fully expect it to break on my 308, lol probably within the first 200 rounds. But I'll press forward. For the cause!!!
View Quote
 I ordered one also,  I believe it just might hold up for a while if run with a aluminum bcg, light buffer and low power spring in a 223 gun! But time will tell!?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I think you did it right.  Rails don't have to be an exact length for any given barrel, so some people will select them based on weight per inch benefits.  Barrels, on the other hand, are likely to be chosen exclusively by desired length, with weight within that length criteria being of interest.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#21]
U weight was 116 grams or 4.10 ounces

Link Posted: 6/21/2018 2:48:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: asorel] [#22]
Anyone have experience with polymer dust covers from Mako or Kaiser US? I notice that Kaiser has a disclaimer on the description of their covers, which claims it's "X-7 Compatible Only," not quite sure what to make of that. It's just a dust cover, right? What kind of voodoo is going on that keeps it from being used in other upper receivers?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:59:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#23]
Anyone have experience with polymer dust covers from Mako or Kaiser US? I notice that Kaiser has a disclaimer on the description of their covers, which claims it's "X-7 Compatible Only," not quite sure what to make of that. It's just a dust cover, right? What kind of voodoo is going on that keeps it from being used in other upper receivers?
View Quote
I have used just about every dust cover there is. The lightest yet has been the hera, it comes with a shortened enlarged end polymer rod, and it is adjustable. Next up is the HK 416 port door, it's polymer and non adjustable. The mako is adjustable. I never used the kaiser because of the disclaimer, but i do have a kaiser receiver set. It's one of the best receivers i have ever used.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#24]

I have used just about every dust cover there is. The lightest yet has been the hera, it comes with a shortened enlarged end polymer rod, and it is adjustable. Next up is the HK 416 port door, it's polymer and non adjustable. The mako is adjustable. I never used the kaiser because of the disclaimer, but i do have a kaiser receiver set. It's one of the best receivers i have ever used.
View Quote
Hera seems to get a bad reputation on the interwebs, so I've been staying away. Not sure if it's a reputation founded on reality or a couple bad apples in the past, but it makes me cautious enough to go for the ever-so-slightly heavier Mako instead.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Hera seems to get a bad reputation on the interwebs, so I've been staying away. Not sure if it's a reputation founded on reality or a couple bad apples in the past, but it makes me cautious enough to go for the ever-so-slightly heavier Mako instead.
View Quote
Well the installation of the hera can be a little wonky, it's got a little nub that can break off if you don't install it carefully. I think the HK port door is far superior to the mako though, it feels kinda cheap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#26]
It's hard to imagine that HERA has a worse rep than Mako. I bought one product from those clowns (rail system for my CETME) and the item I received looked like it had been bounced down 8 flights of concrete stairs. Totally unacceptable. Took months to get it replaced, and when the second one came in it looked like it had bounced down just 1 fight if stairs, so I said screw it and lived with it. I'll never order from them again.

As far as port doors go, everyone has to have their niche of expertise in this world, and I know where pscots is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#27]
It's hard to imagine that HERA has a worse rep than Mako. I bought one product from those clowns (rail system for my CETME) and the item I received looked like it had been bounced down 8 flights of concrete stairs. Totally unacceptable. Took months to get it replaced, and when the second one came in it looked like it had bounced down just 1 fight if stairs, so I said screw it and lived with it. I'll never order from them again.

As far as port doors go, everyone has to have their niche of expertise in this world, and I know where pscots is.
View Quote
Lol yes, please direct all questions about port door compatibility towards me. My uncle told me if his sergeant ever caught him with his open he would smack the crap out of him! He was a marine back when recruit abuse was allowed, lol. It's an important part for a duty gun! Man, the word cetme has no place on the lightweight forum ?????? I had a ptr-91, stupid thing was like an anchor. And upgrade parts were so pricey... Gimme an ar any day of the week! I do like makos recoil reducing butt stock, I have it on my duty 308 riding a tapco 7075 commercial buffer tube. The tapco tubes actually have detent locks!
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Lol yes, please direct all questions about port door compatibility towards me. My uncle told me if his sergeant ever caught him with his open he would smack the crap out of him! He was a marine back when recruit abuse was allowed, lol. It's an important part for a duty gun! Man, the word cetme has no place on the lightweight forum ?????? I had a ptr-91, stupid thing was like an anchor. And upgrade parts were so pricey... Gimme an ar any day of the week! I do like makos recoil reducing butt stock, I have it on my duty 308 riding a tapco 7075 commercial buffer tube. The tapco tubes actually have detent locks!
View Quote
Ended up going with the Heckle my Koch. Probably paid more than I have a right to for a small piece of polymer (out of stock everywhere besides HK's own distributor), but with the amount I've spent already there's no sense pinching pennies over something relatively minor. Speaking of the PTR 91, I was considering picking one up myself down the line. Not really for a practical use--I've got my AR and eventually my AK for that--but I like collecting different action types, and I'm fond of the PTR's gratuitously violent roller-delay.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Ended up going with the Heckle my Koch. Probably paid more than I have a right to for a small piece of polymer (out of stock everywhere besides HK's own distributor), but with the amount I've spent already there's no sense pinching pennies over something relatively minor. Speaking of the PTR 91, I was considering picking one up myself down the line. Not really for a practical use--I've got my AR and eventually my AK for that--but I like collecting different action types, and I'm fond of the PTR's gratuitously violent roller-delay.
View Quote
If you want a roller lock that's actually good, get a g3 parts kit rebuild from brethren armament with a hammer forged barrel, or try to find a vector.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn that's pricey!!! Lol did I mention that ar 15 shop sent me yet another polymer buffer tube? I didn't even order one with this order, lol I just got 2 polymer lpk's
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DekNgo:

Link
Considering it's the lightest one out there and pretty close in price to the PWS, not bad. Still When the plastic ones are $3... and only .1 oz heavier... Maybe for a duty gun.

But at that point, I'd probably just buy one from Smoke.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BKKJ:

Considering it's the lightest one out there and pretty close in price to the PWS, not bad. Still When the plastic ones are $3... and only .1 oz heavier... Maybe for a duty gun.

But at that point, I'd probably just buy one from Smoke.
View Quote
I would go with incognitos adjustable stock before I would go with that carbon fiber buffer tube. You know, if I really wanted something with adjustable length of pull.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:46:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#32]
Bah, adjustability costs weight. Over rated in a world with custom length CF anyway, right? If I share my ultralight, the borrower can deal with it.

BTW, i got my LuthAR charging handle. When I first got it the latch was refusing to open easily, like there was some flashing on a surface somewhere in there that kept catching on something. I was like "wtf?!", but after pushing the latch in/out for about an hour it's calmed down a bit. The spring they use is probably 3x as strong as it needs to be, which doesn't help ease of use for an already not so great design. All in all, not impressed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:56:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#33]
Bah, adjustability costs weight. Over rated in a world with custom length CF anyway, right? If I share my ultralight, the borrower can deal with it.
View Quote
When incognito decides to ship us our stocks I'm posting up to date pics of my fully featured ultralight builds. With my new aluminum bolt catches I'll be gaining some more ground on breastroker!!!  Lol I'm still a ways off though. The bolt catches will arrive Saturday. Weights will be posted! Yeah, lol I told you that handle was hard as hell to use!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:53:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Catch me Hah!!!

I have my aluminum bolt catches coming (2).

My lightest Tegra lower complete but without the CF stock and Taccom buffers and spring now weighs 172 grams or 6.05 ounces. Hoping I can get below 5.9 ounces before the Incognito CF stock gets here. Even cutting the bolt catch roll pin shorter will remove weight some.

Since I am now in cardiac rehab (kicking my ass) and it's only 113 degrees outside, all I can do is work inside at my desk trimming weight off my lower receiver. I have to get all my safety gear out (HEPA Vacuum cleaner, dust mask etc) for cutting the CF hand guard back from 10.5" to 9 inches.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 1:16:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
Catch me Hah!!!

I have my aluminum bolt catches coming (2).

My lightest Tegra lower complete but without the CF stock and Taccom buffers and spring now weighs 172 grams or 6.05 ounces. Hoping I can get below 5.9 ounces before the Incognito CF stock gets here. Even cutting the bolt catch roll pin shorter will remove weight some.

Since I am now in cardiac rehab (kicking my ass) and it's only 113 degrees outside, all I can do is work inside at my desk trimming weight off my lower receiver. I have to get all my safety gear out (HEPA Vacuum cleaner, dust mask etc) for cutting the CF hand guard back from 10.5" to 9 inches.
View Quote
Lol I'll never catch you unless I ditch features or do custom work and I'm not willing to do that. I'm content! Sorta... :) I'll eat a bacon cheeseburger for you bud, get well soon!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:05:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By pscot468:When incognito decides to ship us our stocks I'm posting up to date pics of my fully featured ultralight builds. With my new aluminum bolt catches I'll be gaining some more ground on breastroker!!!  Lol I'm still a ways off though. The bolt catches will arrive Saturday. Weights will be posted! Yeah, lol I told you that handle was hard as hell to use!!!
View Quote
If you really want to catch breastroker, the best way is to ditch the bolt catch/plunger/spring/pin. All kinds of weight there, even with an AL BC.

With the luthAR charging handle, it's an awkward design, but I don't think it'll be intolerable once I can get the latch to smoothly pivot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:17:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#37]

If you really want to catch breastroker, the best way is to ditch the bolt catch/plunger/spring/pin. All kinds of weight there, even with an AL BC.

With the luthAR charging handle, it's an awkward design, but I don't think it'll be intolerable once I can get the latch to smoothly pivot.
View Quote
No no no, lol I don't want to catch him that bad. His builds are damn near irresponsible :O lol jk, they're revolutionary!!! Who would have thought a sub 3 lb rifle in a real caliber was possible??? His sub 5 lb 308 inspired mine. I don't want to spoil it but another forum member is about to jump head first into the 308 pond!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 10:40:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#39]
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:
https://i.imgur.com/ix7ZMsz.jpg
View Quote
I'd recognize those shell deflector cuts anywhere!!! Do we have another soul brave enough to try the blackthorne??? :D And how the hell did you remove over an oz?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:33:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#41]
I want, I need a Hesse upper! With that upper receiver I could try for 2.5 pounds.

My Luthar charging handle has worked great, might be because it sits in a polymer upper.

Got an email, my aluminum bolt catches shipped.

Does anyone know the weight of a steel barrel extension???????
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 2:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#42]
There is no data base for the 308/6.5/7-08 ARs.

My ultra light polymer 556 isn't something I would use if the Zombies come out after the Jackasses loose the next election.

The POF roller cam pin was lighter than any other 308 cam pin, even lighter than the V7 improved cam pin. Which they actually put the wrong weight on their web site!

Also the 2A hollow titanium takedown pins are lighter than the aluminum 308 pins.

But my AR308 is a perfect rifle, weight of rifle is 4.39 pounds with the polymer trigger group and 4.50 pounds with the Hyprfire EDT trigger.

The 2A receiver set is a work of art, near perfection. I could try a titanium bolt catch, some of you will be dumping your expensive ones for the aluminum ones?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:59:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#43]
Originally Posted By breastroker:
There is no data base for the 308/6.5/7-08 ARs.

My ultra light polymer 556 isn't something I would use if the Zombies come out after the Jackasses loose the next election.

The POF roller cam pin was lighter than any other 308 cam pin

But my AR308 is a perfect rifle, weight of rifle is 4.39 pounds with the polymer trigger group and 4.50 pounds with the Hyprfire EDT trigger.

The 2A receiver set is a work of art, near perfection. I could try a titanium bolt catch, some of you will be dumping your expensive ones for the aluminum ones?
View Quote
I have a spare titanium bolt catch. Have you tried the v7 improved 308 cam pin? Man, i want a hesse too!!! I think a 223 would do just fine against zombies or assholes. Plus you can carry more ammo!
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:02:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#44]

Actually it’s Blackthorne’s predecessor, it’s a Hesse.

The Hesse units didn’t have a Forward Assist.
View Quote
Where did you dig up that old fossil PursuitSS??? And where can i get one!?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#45]

I'd recognize those shell deflector cuts anywhere!!! Do we have another soul brave enough to try the blackthorne??? :D And how the hell did you remove over an oz?
View Quote
Are these Blackthorne uppers any good? What about being safe to use? I was all set to use Fostech receivers, but I will never have the lightest rifle. All of my plans are futile! I was wanting to put together the lightest AR I could but Blackthorne doesn't have a good reputation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:52:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JasonblkZ06:

Are these Blackthorne uppers any good? What about being safe to use? I was all set to use Fostech receivers, but I will never have the lightest rifle. All of my plans are futile! I was wanting to put together the lightest AR I could but Blackthorne doesn't have a good reputation.
View Quote
Yes, the blackthorne uppers are great, they are made of very tough stuff! The only issue I had was it won't take any port door that's adjustable. So hk or v7 only. Another thing you have to be careful of is assembly. You need a barrel extension torque tool, like a reaction rod. I like the magpul Bev block best. When I assemble I follow the Windham carbon fiber src instructions. https://www.windhamweaponry.com/important-information-regarding-barrel-nuts-and-barrel-removal-on-our-carbon-fiber-rifles/
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#48]

I purchased it at a gun show YEARS ago.
View Quote
Too bad you didn't buy a whole case :( you planning on building a polymer wonder?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 2:34:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#49]
The pamax tactical aluminum bolt catch is 5 grams :D i ordered 2 and they only sent 1... :( Maybe this is a sign from God that I don't need one on my 308?
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 3:06:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: breastroker] [#50]
My enhanced V7 tool steel bolt catch @ 7.970 grams or 0.2805 ounces by drilling a hole through the paddle.

So almost 3 grams savings with the aluminum bolt catch.

How much did that over priced titanium bolt catch weigh?
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top