Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:50:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PursuitSS:

I can't find a Fostech upper receiver anywhere, I assume that it's the magnesium/aluminum alloy that Mag Tactical offered.

Do you mind pointing out where to find them?

@breastroker
View Quote
I bought mine from FTW coatings several months ago. Call 316-943-5800 and ask about the uppers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By pscot468:

Try this email address. Sounds like you got an out of spec lower. I can't think of anything else that would cause that.
[email protected]
View Quote
Yeah - I finally got an email from Tegra/Ryan. I am emailing them back now.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:36:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15joe] [#4]

I bought mine from FTW coatings several months ago. Call 316-943-5800 and ask about the uppers.
View Quote
I called - they answered immediately and they said the Fostech uppers are going to be on the market in about 1.5 months so they are not selling them right now :(

@pscot468
@pursuitss
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 6:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IMachineGuns] [#5]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, this is pretty awesome! Nicely done 2A!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Yah but... how much do
They weigh?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By IMachineGuns:

@ar15joe

Sounds like the buffer tube hole is either off location or not parallel/concentric with the carrier in the upper. Most buffer tubes are a bit long on the depth of the id hole. Ben is going to send out one of our "buffer tube builders shim kit" for the buffer tube it is to reduce over travel of the carrier it consist of three shims .07,.100, and .140. They install between the buffer tube and spring and are used limit the total travel of the carrier. They are prevent striking of the carrier and buffer tube with some buffer tube and carrier combinations. The kits have not officially been released yet so your are the first to receive them. I just hope everyone remembers who brought them to market when the knock offs start showing up The packaging is marked AR10 because that is the most common source for this need although we are seeing it more and more with all the buffer tube, stock options for the AR15 platform.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/395355/shim_kit-318117.jpg
Thank you for the support
Brian
View Quote
Thanks Brian and Thanks Ben - 2A ROCKS!!!
By the way - when are you guys going to come out with a Tuneable Buffer Weight made from Machined Polycarbonate capsule that screws together so one can add/remove tungsten weights? Or tune the gas down and run without any weights for a super light hollow Polycarbonate buffer?

@IMachineGuns
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
On another note- the Spikes 11.5 LW CHF barrel chamber 556 is very tight with 223. I may have to polish it a bit...any good suggestions on how to best do this? Maybe just shoot it more...or plug barrel with grease, chamber and extract a few empty rounds coated with flitz and then degrease twice?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#11]

I can't find a Fostech upper receiver anywhere, I assume that it's the magnesium/aluminum alloy that Mag Tactical offered.

Do you mind pointing out where to find them?

@breastroker
View Quote
Optics Planet right here linky
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, of course they stayed with the same Forward Assist upper that Mag Tactical had.

I called Mag Tactical when they came out with their upper and asked if they were going to offer it in a "Slick Side" they stated there wouldn't be enough demand for one. I tried to politely point out that they did not understand their target market, obviously they didn't listen.
View Quote
@pursuitss
Just plug it. LOL
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.opticsplanet.com/fostech-outdoors-ar-15-mg-al-alloy-upper-receiver-stripped.html

They say it takes a couple of weeks to ship, I can wait
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#16]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been using my own versions of the builders shim kit. I have round Teflon gaskets for CGA660 regulators, I use up to 3 to reduce the chance of BCG to receiver crashes.

The Taccom rifle buffers also come with 3 aluminum spacers.

Also Smoke Composites has a carbon fiber spacer tune that converts rifle length tubes to carbine tubes, 2.5 inches long and 14.6 grams.

Lately I have been solving problems with my Smoke Composite early version stocks. The tube is too long, without a spacer you get the BCG hitting the receiver near the threads.

So I take the rifle polymer buffer as the bottom one that the spring sits on, and use the regular polymer carbine buffer (at 0.35 ounces) as the reciprocating buffer. I cut the tip off the rifle buffer until I have about a nickels width space between the BCG edges and the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Most buffer tubes are a bit long on the depth of the id hole. Ben is going to send out one of our "buffer tube builders shim kit" for the buffer tube it is to reduce over travel of the carrier it consist of three shims .07,.100, and .140. They install between the buffer tube and spring and are used limit the total travel of the carrier. They are prevent striking of the carrier and buffer tube with some buffer tube and carrier combinations.

Thank you for the support
Brian
View Quote
Dumb question... how does one tell if their rig is at risk for this?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nada-Nada:

Dumb question... how does one tell if their rig is at risk for this?
View Quote
I suppose you could attempt to bottom out the carrier by hand and see how far it went?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Why does nobody make a 3 prong or 4 prong Titanium flash hider? I see the Faxon has a "slim" prong flash hider but that seems to require pin/weld? Nice weight at sub 1oz...

All the other 3 and 4 prong flash hiders are more than 2oz
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Remove the recoil spring from the buffer and drop the buffer to the bottom of the tube. Then slide the carrier down on top of the buffer. You can then check for interference and distance from bolt face to the bolt catch.

Brian
View Quote
Thanks.

Obviously it must clear the bolt catch, but how far past it is too far?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Remove the recoil spring from the buffer and drop the buffer to the bottom of the tube. Then slide the carrier down on top of the buffer. You can then check for interference and distance from bolt face to the bolt catch.

Brian
Thanks.

If it's hitting the buffer tube tower you've gone too far.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I am not trying to be daft, and yes I know we are talking about a Bolt Carrier, but I don't know how you can determine that with the upper in place, and with the upper off the hammer will force it up and it is going to hit the tower.

Just looking for the right process / easy process to determine if spacers are needed and if so how many.

If it's obvious, it's escaping me.

Are you doing this with the upper off and the hammer removed?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:56:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
Why does nobody make a 3 prong or 4 prong Titanium flash hider? I see the Faxon has a "slim" prong flash hider but that seems to require pin/weld? Nice weight at sub 1oz...

All the other 3 and 4 prong flash hiders are more than 2oz
View Quote
Yeah, a Ti version of the Rousch short 4 prong would be pretty sweet. If you want Ti and a FH, the best option might be the DSA enhanced A2 Ti FH. 1.25oz isn't horrible.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I am in the market for a light weight linear brake, like a simple threaded device made of Ti. If anyone wants to make one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:14:45 AM EDT
[#27]

I am not trying to be daft, and yes I know we are talking about a Bolt Carrier, but I don't know how you can determine that with the upper in place, and with the upper off the hammer will force it up and it is going to hit the tower.

Just looking for the right process / easy process to determine if spacers are needed and if so how many.

If it's obvious, it's escaping me.

Are you doing this with the upper off and the hammer removed?
View Quote
You don't need the upper or fire control group in place to test bolt travel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I tried but I could not stay away from this thread.
I am building a lightweight SBR with a Faxon pencil 10.5 barrel. What stock tube are you guys using? Also, this will be my first go around with a reduced weight bolt carrier and adjustable gas block. What should I use for spring and buffer?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Yeah, a Ti version of the Rousch short 4 prong would be pretty sweet. If you want Ti and a FH, the best option might be the DSA enhanced A2 Ti FH. 1.25oz isn't horrible.
View Quote
I'm running a dsa ti A2 and it works very well. They added a few cuts that seem to help keep the flash down even more than a standard A2. I removed material off the back of the flash hider until it was clocked correctly at the right amount of torque this way I don't have the added weight of crush or peel washers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By hollowhandle:
I am building a lightweight SBR with a Faxon pencil 10.5 barrel. What stock tube are you guys using? Also, this will be my first go around with a reduced weight bolt carrier and adjustable gas block. What should I use for spring and buffer?
Thanks
View Quote
Welcome to the sickness. if you haven't checked it out already, there is a link in my sig to the Parts Weights Database. Lots of parts option in there... it's helpful for selecting parts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By JerDerv:

I'm running a dsa ti A2 and it works very well. They added a few cuts that seem to help keep the flash down even more than a standard A2. I removed material off the back of the flash hider until it was clocked correctly at the right amount of torque this way I don't have the added weight of crush or peel washers.
View Quote
Indeed. Anyone that didn't plan on using a BFA could also lathe off the ridge of metal for that to help drop some weight too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pscot468] [#32]
Thanks
View Quote
Depends. If you're looking for the least recoil and the least wearing option for your carrier use a reduced power spring. Wear is only really an issue with aluminum carriers or overgassed systems. 2 good options for RP springs are the old wolff RP spring or a nemo 300 blk spring. The nemo has the advantage of being the lightest carbine spring available. The patriot commercial size polymer buffer tube is the lightest weight 6 position tube, the lightest metal one is the pws mod 2. If a fixed stock is ok then there is really only 1 option. The smokes composite buffer tube/stock. A taccom lightweight 2 piece buffer is a great choice too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#33]
I am in the market for a light weight linear brake, like a simple threaded device made of Ti. If anyone wants to make one.
View Quote
With a 4 or 3 prong design on the end to eliminate flash. This would be perfect for sub 14.7 inch carbines /pistols

The Griffin Armament taper mount stealth flash hider, AAC Blackout in Ti etc
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#34]
The reason I am interested in the 3 or 4 prong design in Titanium is that it ranks the highest in flash suppression and supposedly directs the blast more forwards than other designs that are more similar to the A2 cage designs.
Flash and blast are both high on my 11.5 inch although my first go round with the V7 extended/grooved A2 style did not show as much flash as I expected. About as much blast = huge! Scared the crap out of the guy a few booths down.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#35]
The reason I am interested in the 3 or 4 prong design in Titanium is that it ranks the highest in flash suppression and supposedly directs the blast more forwards than other designs that are more similar to the A2 cage designs.
Flash and blast are both high on my 11.5 inch although my first go round with the V7 extended/grooved A2 style did not show as much flash as I expected. About as much blast = huge! Scared the crap out of the guy a few booths down.
View Quote
Funny because that reminds me of a lowlight course that I took with an BCM Recce 11 Pistol. End of the course, the instructor asked me to bring a standard length rifle the next time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By SOCOM76:

Funny because that reminds me of a lowlight course that I took with an BCM Recce 11 Pistol. End of the course, the instructor asked me to bring a standard length rifle the next time.
View Quote
@SOCOM76
What flash hider  / muzzle device were you using? Pics?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SOCOM76] [#37]

@SOCOM76
What flash hider  / muzzle device were you using? Pics?
View Quote
It's a BCM Recce 11 factory pistol, so the muzzle device (Mod 0) and everything else is BCM.

BCM Recce 11

Mine is much older with the magnesium KMR:

Link Posted: 10/1/2017 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#38]
So just got back from the range tuning the 2A Ti Adjustable bolt carrier group.
Setup is 2A Balios Lite V2 upper, Spikes LW 11.5 CHF barrel. V7 extended Grooved A2ish Flash/comp. 2A Aetheon 10 inch rail. 2A ALU barrel nut, BAD LW Ti gas block, Carbine length gas tube.
Tegra lower, GSD-C Flat trigger, Seekins ambi. 2A bolt catch. 2A Ti pins.
2040g total weight with RM01 on ADM qd cowitness mount (no irons)

Using a Maxim PDW Brace with the shorter buffer tube and standard spring/buffer.

Adjusts as follows - Vertical line = wide open
line at 3 oclock/ 9 oclock = closed gas

Using Federal 233 green box 55gr M193

I tried the 2:30 position and that would not lock back on the last round on a Window PMag
Tried the 1:00 and settled on the 1:30ish position

Question - this system has quite a bit of flash and blast. Also recoil impulse is strange- pushes to the left? I have the Muzzle device timed correctly AFAIK...

Question - can I reduce the recoil by removing the weights from the buffer and tuning the gas down?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:00:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SOCOM76] [#39]
In my experience, far less gas is needed to compress a reduced power action spring and reduced mass buffer. According to my shoulder and general physics, there is less recoil under those circumstances.

I also make it a point to tune the system with the weakest ammo I can find, which is generally Tula and PMC, or something I develop at home. That way, going forward, just about any ammo will cycle the action. From there, I like to see about 500 rounds worth of fouling in the action without a stoppage.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#40]

Depends. If you're looking for the least recoil and the least wearing option for your carrier use a reduced power spring. Wear is only really an issue with aluminum carriers or overgassed systems. 2 good options for RP springs are the old wolff RP spring or a nemo 300 blk spring. The nemo has the advantage of being the lightest carbine spring available. The patriot commercial size polymer buffer tube is the lightest weight 6 position tube, the lightest metal one is the pws mod 2. If a fixed stock is ok then there is really only 1 option. The smokes composite buffer tube/stock. A taccom lightweight 2 piece buffer is a great choice too.
View Quote
Thanks guys for the help so far.
I ordered the PWS buffer tube and backordered the Nemo spring. What about buffer? Just a standard carbine one?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks guys for the help so far.
I ordered the PWS buffer tube and backordered the Nemo spring. What about buffer? Just a standard carbine one?
View Quote
Try the taccom lightweight buffer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Well i got my 300 blk 6.5 in lightweight build up and running!!! I'm using the echo ar II trigger, maxim brace, standard maxim shortened buffer and spring, iron city black diamond bolt carrier with RCA adjustable gas key, built on a fostech receiver set, v7 upper and lower parts, and a 6.5 in v7 barrel with a 5 in kaw valley keymod handguard. It's very nice, accurate, lightweight and most of all fun!!! I did a few mag dumps today, got 800 RPM and it was flawlessly reliably once i tuned it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Finally assembled my upper, thanks 2A for the awesome receiver set, went together super smooth.

All I need is a wml and this one is done!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I have found the Taccom light weight buffer system with the Strike industries flat wire spring works really well for my 2 rifles.  One is piston driven with Superlative arms piston kit, the other is a syrac ordinance adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Well i got my 300 blk 6.5 in lightweight build up and running!!! I'm using the echo ar II trigger, maxim brace, standard maxim shortened buffer and spring, iron city black diamond bolt carrier with RCA adjustable gas key, built on a fostech receiver set, v7 upper and lower parts, and a 6.5 in v7 barrel with a 5 in kaw valley keymod handguard. It's very nice, accurate, lightweight and most of all fun!!! I did a few mag dumps today, got 800 RPM and it was flawlessly reliably once i tuned it.
View Quote
@pscot468
what position do you have your gas set at?

Please give feedback on the fostech receiver set?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By themagikbullet:
Finally assembled my upper, thanks 2A for the awesome receiver set, went together super smooth.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108746/IMG_2448-323472.JPG
View Quote
Nice to see so many SBR's and serious-use rifles built on lightweight receivers. How do you like the TriggerTech?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice to see so many SBR's and serious-use rifles built on lightweight receivers. How do you like the TriggerTech?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108746/IMG_2448-323472.JPG
Kind of blurry because of the picture quality but it's a Geissele sd-c.  In the short term I'm setting it up like my other hd ar more or less for the wife, with the plan of it being a dedicated nv gun. Why not start light before having to add ir laser/illuminator etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Why not start light before having to add ir laser/illuminator etc.
View Quote
I like the way you think, Sir.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#49]

@pscot468
what position do you have your gas set at?

Please give feedback on the fostech receiver set?
View Quote
The fostech receivers are good. I have an old stock lower with a FTW coatings upper. They seem plenty tough enough. I have the gas at about 3/4 of the way open, I've found that 300 blk guns need more gas than their 5.56 brethren. For example my 5.56 with the same setup except for a 16 in FN carbine barrel, and slr sentry titanium adjustable gas block has it's gas about halfway open.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:

Indeed. Anyone that didn't plan on using a BFA could also lathe off the ridge of metal for that to help drop some weight too.
View Quote
@jekbrown
adding to my LW 11.5 pistol build

Troy Fixed Front HK style sight - 42g
magpul m-lok poly rail section (3 slot - smallest avail?) 5.35g
m-lok hardware for magpul rail section - 6.36g (two bolts two mlok nuts)
TLR-4 light/laser (circa 2006?) - 80.1g
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top