Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/13/2013 5:20:41 PM EDT
I received the PSA BCG ($179.99) today and wanted to share some photos. I would like to get some comments on the quality and reliability of the BCG.
This is my first BCG purchase (first AR build )

I can not shoot my AR to test the BCG due to not having any AMMO :(

Thank you

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
looks good, PSA is GTG
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. As already mentioned, PSA is good stuff.

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting. The gas key appears to be MIM and the extractor has been shot peened.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the one I just got except there is an "M" marked on my bolt.  I assume that is for MPI.  Looks good to go.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like the wrong grade 8 fasteners, i.e. not milspec (dont know if its advertised as such)
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks like the wrong grade 8 fasteners, i.e. not milspec (dont know if its advertised as such)

They are advertised as grade 8.  How can you tell, and is that something to be concerned about?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are advertised as grade 8.  How can you tell, and is that something to be concerned about?

The YFS on them means Asian screws from Fang Sheng Screw Co in Taiwan. They are not the same as American grade 8.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
That is a quality BCG. Do not get caught up in hype.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The YFS on them means Asian screws from Fang Sheng Screw Co in Taiwan. They are not the same as American grade 8.

Tru dat.  Armalite uses them (or used to).  They're also typically undersized and not knurled.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I would be wary of that staking on the gas key. It has been hit so hard that the bolthead itself is deformed. On a hardened bolt this is not a good thing, I would almost count on the bolts being cracked or at least failing soon.

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would be wary of that staking on the gas key. It has been hit so hard that the bolthead itself is deformed. On a hardened bolt this is not a good thing, I would almost count on the bolts being cracked or at least failing soon.  

+1...I agree with you 100% on that. I've noticed a massive amount of Chinese parts and horrible QA out on the market now as well, even from reputable vendors. They are cutting way too many corners to flip a profit during a buying craze.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am getting good information due to the pictures I posted. How can I tell by looking at the bolthead being deformed? Is there a way I can tell if the bolt is cracked?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Fang Sheng Screw Co in Taiwan is right and they are good quality. Many manufacturers use them. Shoot it and after 10,000 rounds. Report back for the weapons engineers on ARF so they can ponder the phenomenon. Go enjoy. Well when you get some ammo that is.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you for your comment. so for 179.99 the BCG is worth it?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fang Sheng Screw Co in Taiwan is right and they are good quality. Many manufacturers use them. Shoot it and after 10,000 rounds. Report back for the weapons engineers on ARF so they can ponder the phenomenon. Go enjoy. Well when you get some ammo that is.

Yes I can't wait to get ammo so I can go shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't know PSA made BCG's...............or did they just order them from someone else and market them as theirs

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Pre Sandy Hook $125. You are lucky to get a quality BCG for $179. after. However The supply shood start to leval out and supply and demand will catchup in the next few months. God willing the DEM's do not get another marter for their cause any time soon.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for your comment. so for 179.99 the BCG is worth it?

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn't know PSA made BCG's...............or did they just order them from someone else and market them as theirs

They are only ordering from other suppliers. I am really surprised to see a company like PSA selling BCGs with MIM gas keys and Chinese screws. I would seriously question the integrity of the bolt as well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:16:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Well the gas key definitely isn't coming loose
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are only ordering from other suppliers. I am really surprised to see a company like PSA selling BCGs with MIM gas keys and Chinese screws. I would seriously question the integrity of the bolt as well.

Besides, the guy they have using the staking tool needs to STOP over staking them.  Those screws will crack soon after firing.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may be a dumb question but what is MIM and what does it mean?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Is it just the pic or does the inside of the BC look like the chrome lining is uneven?? What about what looks like pitting on the extractor, or is that shot peening?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Metal injection molding
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides, the guy they have using the staking tool needs to STOP over staking them.  Those screws will crack soon after firing.

He used a staking tool? Judging by the photos, I'd swear he used a 20 ton hydraulic press.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Is MIM a bad thing ?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't be offended by what we are saying about the BCG you received, this is just not the normal quality that we are used to seeing from a company like PSA.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He used a staking tool? Judging by the photos, I'd swear he used a 20 ton hydraulic press.

Or a flathead and a mallet
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#28]
"Or a flathead and a mallet"

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The only problem I have with your statement is ..................where are you gonna find 10k rounds, seriously you holding out, you know a guy
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is MIM a bad thing ?

For any part of a BCG, I'd say yes. MIM is not as durable as something that is machined from solid stock. You have to keep in mind that an extreme amount of pressure runs through that key. I've seen an LMT BCG with a MIM gas key that had cracked along the length of the neck and bent the receiver at the top of the ejection port as a result. I bought the carrier from the guy and replaced the key.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I forgot to include the specs for the BCG.

Details

M16 Bolt Carrier Group

For AR15 and M16 rifles.  Made by a mil-spec contractor, these feature a Carpenter 158 Bolt, and a full profile chrome lined carrier. Limited quatities available

Made in USA.  Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158® steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside and chrome lined inside.

Features:

Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel bolt
   Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
   Chrome Lined Gas Key
   Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
   Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
   Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
   Tool Steel Extractor
   Extractor Spring

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please don't be offended by what we are saying about the BCG you received, this is just not the normal quality that we are used to seeing from a company like PSA.

I am not offended at all this is why I posted the pictures so i could get honest comments from everyone. I enjoy learning from everyone in this forum instead of getting offended I am thankful.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#33]
MIM is  Metal injection molding. LMT uses it. It is a very clean presise method of casting. NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. It looks to me the shot pening was a tad bit high causing sheering of the gas key material to splint over the Taiwanese screws that are not low quality. They do cost less. Yes. I to wish we were all AMERICAN made. Remember when Wal Mart was run by Sam Walton. The American man from Arkansas. Back in the 80's were started to wake up and realize we were buying too much stuff from over seas. And good old Sam Walton cam up with the advertizing catch "MADE WITH PRIDE IN THE USA" They bosted that almost everything sold by walmart was American made.

Well next time you go to wal mart count the things in the store made in the USA.

If we can get Quality products over seas for less. And the market flurishes with it. Do not hate the quality for the price. Do not hate the American who wants more for his/her buck. Its the internal greed and corruption that will hurt us more than SEPT 11th 2001. The Feds cant touch the plumpest sweetest cherries at the top of the tree. Not do to the lack of healthy branches on the way up. It is because of the number of the "well supported" healthy branches just under those that keep them safe from the plucking. We will see a burst in the bouble. It is a cycle in life. Some big change is comming. It just will not be easy as "Kicking the can down the road" as we are accustomed to. Their will be nasty things that happen to the world befor a new cycle can begin.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I forgot to include the specs for the BCG.

Details

M16 Bolt Carrier Group

For AR15 and M16 rifles.  Made by a mil-spec contractor, these feature a Carpenter 158 Bolt, and a full profile chrome lined carrier. Limited quatities available

Made in USA.  Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158® steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Bolt carrier is parkerized outside and chrome lined inside.

Features:

Milspec Carpenter No. 158® steel bolt
   Chrome Lined Carrier (AUTO)
   Chrome Lined Gas Key
   Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications
   Gas Key Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
   Gas Key Staked Per Mil-Spec
   Tool Steel Extractor
   Extractor Spring

Yeah sorry but the Pic at PSA doesnt look like the one you provided at all.  Granted it's only one view at PSA but it still looks off. I wonder who the sub contractor is.

Gas key hardened to USGI specs......HMMMMM????

Staked per mil spec, doesnt mean anything really
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is MIM a bad thing ?

For any part of a BCG, I'd say yes. MIM is not as durable as something that is machined from solid stock. You have to keep in mind that an extreme amount of pressure runs through that key. I've seen an LMT BCG with a MIM gas key that had cracked along the length of the neck and bent the receiver at the top of the ejection port as a result. I bought the carrier from the guy and replaced the key.

That do not sound like something I would like to experience. Are you recommending for me to swap out the key? is this something I can do with this BCG?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
MIM is . It looksMetal injection molding. LMT uses it. It is a very clean presise method of casting. NOTHING WRONG WITH IT to me the shot pening was a tad bit high causing sheering of the gas key material to splint over the Taiwanese screws that are not low quality. They do cost less. Yes. I to wish we were all AMERICAN made. Remember when Wal Mart was run by Sam Walton. The American man from Arkansas. Back in the 80's were started to wake up and realize we were buying too much stuff from over seas. And good old Sam Walton cam up with the advertizing catch "MADE WITH PRIDE IN THE USA" They bosted that almost everything sold by walmart was American made.

Well next time you go to wal mart count the things in the store made in the USA.

If we can get Quality products over seas for less. And the market flurishes with it. Do not hate the quality for the price. Do not hate the American who wants more for his/her buck. Its the internal greed and corruption that will hurt us more than SEPT 11th 2001. The Feds cant touch the plumpest sweetest cherries at the top of the tree. Not do to the lack of healthy branches on the way up. It is because of the number of the "well supported" healthy branches just under those that keep them safe from the plucking. We will see a burst in the bouble. It is a cycle in life. Some big change is comming. It just will not be easy as "Kicking the can down the road" as we are accustomed to. Their will be nasty things that happen to the world befor a new cycle can begin.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have been around long enough, do you not remember the crap storm when all those keys from LMT were MIM?  I only remember a few that had cracked, and they failed at the area of the screws, and not the area of the key itslelf.  I don't understand the next part about gas key material to splint over the screws.  Are you talking about the material itself or the guy who incorrectly staked the key?
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is MIM a bad thing ?

That do not sound like something I would like to experience. Are you recommending for me to swap out the key? is this something I can do with this BCG?

As others have stated, the biggest concern is the screws cracking and shearing off. It is highly probable that they already have stress cracks due to the quality of the screws combined with the poor staking..
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is MIM a bad thing ?

As others have stated, the biggest concern is the screws cracking and shearing off. It is highly probable that they already have stress cracks due to the quality of the screws combined with the poor staking..

Shoot it first, then inspect it everytime you clean it.  If it begins to chip around the fastner area then I would replace the key just to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I received mine yesterday.

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I received mine yesterday.
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Pimpyodapimp/media/DSCN4025_zps584c819e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Pimpyodapimp/DSCN4025_zps584c819e.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Pimpyodapimp/media/DSCN4018_zps4190824b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Pimpyodapimp/DSCN4018_zps4190824b.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Pimpyodapimp/media/DSCN4019_zpsf46c451b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/Pimpyodapimp/DSCN4019_zpsf46c451b.jpg</a>

Why you showing off LOL

Now im convinced the guy doing the staking is not doing it correctly.  One of those fasteners has a double hit, which commonly happens when you dont properly place the carrier into the staking tool correctly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is MIM a bad thing ?

Shoot it first, then inspect it everytime you clean it.  If it begins to chip around the fastner area then I would replace the key just to be sure.

Is that the same as mine PSA? it looks different.

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#42]
MIM topic long after MIM gas keys were in comon use.  http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=556651
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#43]
So is this worth trying to cancel an order I placed for one today?  Especially considering the current market?

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#44]
What does the number between the fastener mean? Mine has a 1 and the other picture posted has a number 3
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#45]
It means there is likely one out there with a 2 on it.

Quoted:
What does the number between the fastener mean? Mine has a 1 and the other picture posted has a number 3

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Its the number of the casting die used.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

3 round burst............Just kidding, maybe a stock number, that is weird
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
MIM topic long after MIM gas keys were in comon use.  http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=556651

It is common, but I do remember a handful of threads where the metal around the fastener area was chipping, and a few cracked.  Just the rear of the key, by the fasteners
Link Posted: 4/13/2013 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
That's pretty funny

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/13/2013 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#50]
BMC Sells high quality stuff. No fasteners made from some tiny island off the cost of china. Milled gas keys instead of those controversial MIM AKA Made In   Mexico gas keys
List Price: $189.00
Our Price: $225.00

It priced at over list, and still out of stock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top