Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 228
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

Thanks. For some reason I had in my mind that it was right around the same time as waffle stock issue, (late '01-early '02)?

I know that they were issued for a spell but didn't know that it was as late as 2011. Always thought those would have been the second gen without the fat body.
View Quote

You have the time something was made and then you have the time something was in use. There are still the old M4 stocks in even though they haven't been made since 2002.

Older accessories are possible but newer ones aren't. A 2001 era M4 definitely wouldn't have a retained screw RAS, thin body M951, etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:36:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#2]

that gun screams 2003 Mosul.

eta: except for the light
@Conner378 throw an M951 on there and it'll be straight-up Mosul 2003/Phantom Fury
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

You have the time something was made and then you have the time something was in use. There are still the old M4 stocks in even though they haven't been made since 2002.

Older accessories are possible but newer ones aren't. A 2001 era M4 definitely wouldn't have a retained screw RAS, thin body M951, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks. For some reason I had in my mind that it was right around the same time as waffle stock issue, (late '01-early '02)?

I know that they were issued for a spell but didn't know that it was as late as 2011. Always thought those would have been the second gen without the fat body.

Yeah, saw this at Eglin AFB a couple years ago. Security forces with beat to shit M4s wearing Comp M2s and RIS handguards.

Was just a bit surprised that their were enough around almost 10 yrs later to issue but that's a civvie brain at work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]

View Quote

I should have clarified.  The original 2003 issued 951 was STILL issued to me in 2011 till I traded it for a 600U.  But remember, after I turned it in, Supply could still issue it out to a support guy even today unless they were forced to turn the item back to HHQ.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By imdBman:

I should have clarified.  The original 2003 issued 951 was STILL issued to me in 2011 till I traded it for a 600U.  But remember, after I turned it in, Supply could still issue it out to a support guy even today unless they were forced to turn the item back to HHQ.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By imdBman:

Gotcha. Thanks man.

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If I ever get a nt4, I’ll have a pretty good marsoc clone. Might need to build another upper.

Link Posted: 10/10/2020 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 3:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
When I first bought my PSA AR kit, I had no idea that $500 purchase will lead me to a path of... cloning. Thanks to this site and this thread, I have learn so much! I sold my PSA upper to help fund my new clone obession. Hope my parts arrive soon so I can start posting pics for feedbacks.
My goal is Block 1 or 1.5.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#9]
May the clone gods have mercy on your wallet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:
May the clone gods have mercy on your wallet.
View Quote

Lol. At least a block 1 build isn't too bad. When it turns into block 2 or mre or mk12...  well good luck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Lol. At least a block 1 build isn't too bad. When it turns into block 2 or mre or mk12...  well good luck.
View Quote

Block 1 is a gateway clone.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

This is very true
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#13]

This is very true
View All Quotes

This is very true

which is weird, because I don't have a copy of a block 1
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By tweeter:

View Quote

I am right there with you. Its on my wishlist but not able to get it done right now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

I started with blk 1 cause cheap and wanted a copy of my mws m4. Then it turned into block 2s
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I built a Block 1 as clone correct as I could, but that is enough for me since my main goal is a proven military grade weapon and accessories that can handle the upcoming Boog chaos.  Only thing I wish I had different is an ACOG but it's just too much coin for me to spend at this time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Guntoter:
I built a Block 1 as clone correct as I could, but that is enough for me since my main goal is a proven military grade weapon and accessories that can handle the upcoming Boog chaos.  Only thing I wish I had different is an ACOG but it's just too much coin for me to spend at this time.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/137/right_straight_jpg-1632666.JPG
View Quote

I used to shy away from the ACOG simply because of the price. Now that I have one, I am already saving up for two more. I've seen the light.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#18]

I used to shy away from the ACOG simply because of the price. Now that I have one, I am already saving up for two more. I've seen the light.
View Quote
I thought like this before I got mine. I don't regret it at all. Don't have a bunch of rifles but the one that has a role needing magnification gets the ACOG.  I dipped a toe into LPVO territory and tried some on but, honestly, 15 oz. including mount is pretty damned cool.  Can't beat it.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Badger52:
I thought like this before I got mine. I don't regret it at all. Don't have a bunch of rifles but the one that has a role needing magnification gets the ACOG.  I dipped a toe into LPVO territory and tried some on but, honestly, 15 oz. including mount is pretty damned cool.  Can't beat it.

View Quote

I doubt I'll get this lucky again, but mine is perfect. I've seen people tape up the fiber optic because of bloomage in the reticle. In low light the tritium works perfectly, and in direct Texas summer sun the reticle is still crisp.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#20]

I doubt I'll get this lucky again, but mine is perfect. I've seen people tape up the fiber optic because of bloomage in the reticle. In low light the tritium works perfectly, and in direct Texas summer sun the reticle is still crisp.
View Quote
Good deal. I have mine partially taped up - not even the worst in summer sun, but a bluebird winter day with full snow cover & that chevron explodes into my eye, lol.

As long as I'm in this thread (and probably shouldn't), is that orig RIS carbine handguard for the Block I still available from anyone?

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:24:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tweeter] [#21]

View Quote

2-inch tape rocks for the fiber.  you can peel it back to make it brighter as it gets darker

taping a 1-inch light stick to the fiber is the cat's pajamas for working in the dark
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#22]

2-inch tape rocks for the fiber.  you can peel it back to make it brighter as it gets darker

taping a 1-inch light stick to the fiber is the cat's pajamas for working in the dark
View Quote

That doesn't make it super bright?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

For some.im sure it may, but if your tritium is dead or dying it's better than nothing. When mine starts to fade that's what I intend to do. I saw a while back someone made a removable kydex hood with a 2" glow stick recess to clip on and off easily. That's the route I'm going.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

some of the fibers are more efficient than others.  not sure why, it could be cracking or frosting. not sure why but there are differences

you can also halfway obscure the chemlight with tape of it's too bright

it's all preference really, just throwing out options
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 2:01:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#25]
Reunited with the PR. All uppers are with their original lowers and I found out g33 and matechs arnt compatible. Guess I'm in the hunt for a new BUIS.

edit: actually got the latch to close on the g33. Took some wiggling around. Clearance between that and the range selection knob is practically non existent.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Reunited with the PR. All uppers are with their original lowers and I found out g33 and matechs arnt compatible. Guess I'm in the hunt for a new BUIS.

edit: actually got the latch to close on the g33. Took some wiggling around. Clearance between that and the range selection knob is practically non existent.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316069/8AC42EFF-68BB-44C0-9601-5C6F8C6CE8EE_jpe-1640572.JPG
View Quote

I was going to say people use that set up all the time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#27]
PR

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Maddy21] [#28]
Originally Posted By 2Keylows:
PR

https://i.imgur.com/UTwfvYj.jpg
View Quote

These PR builds are great. This is as close as I can get right  now. Light stolen from my block II.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#29]
WTF is a “PR”
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:25:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skrapmetal] [#30]
WTF is a “PR”
View Quote

Phased Replacement.

Think a Block I that has some of the strapped-on Block II bells and whistles but hasn't been to the armorer to get the rail replaced yet.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Skrapmetal:

Phased Replacement.

Think a Block I that has some of the strapped-on Block II bells and whistles but hasn't been to the armorer to get the rail replaced yet.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Skrapmetal:
WTF is a “PR”

Phased Replacement.

Ah, cool, thanks.  Would using the Matech 600 meter rear sight and a SOPMOD (B5) stock change a Block 1 to a PR?  Still using an M68 (PRO with the M68 mount and cap tether), Surefire M951 and KAC forward grip.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Ah, cool, thanks.  Would using the Matech 600 meter rear sight and a SOPMOD (B5) stock change a Block 1 to a PR?  Still using an M68 (PRO with the M68 mount and cap tether), Surefire M951 and KAC forward grip.
View Quote
I would say no. The main distinction of PRs from block 1 is in my opinion, the optic and laser. So eotechs, elcans and peq15s/la5s.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I would say no. The main distinction of PRs from block 1 is in my opinion, the optic and laser. So eotechs, elcans and peq15s/la5s.
View All Quotes

The SOPMOD stock was introduced in the original SOPMOD package and would be considered part of the initial/Block 1 program. PR also included a change in VLI's (Visible Light Illuminator/weapon light).
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Minuteman1636:

The SOPMOD stock was introduced in the original SOPMOD package and would be considered part of the initial/Block 1 program. PR also included a change in VLI's (Visible Light Illuminator/weapon light).
View Quote
Thanks I should've included that also. The su-233 (m3x) and later the wmx200. I find it interesting that a complete replacement hasn't been chosen for the wmx200. Atleast to my knowledge and someone more in the know might know.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks I should've included that also. The su-233 (m3x) and later the wmx200. I find it interesting that a complete replacement hasn't been chosen for the wmx200. Atleast to my knowledge and someone more in the know might know.
View Quote

I spoke to L3 and they said no more WMX and its not even a product in L3/Insight inventory.  I don't recall any other manufacturer making it either so idk.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By brodband8:

I spoke to L3 and they said no more WMX and its not even a product in L3/Insight inventory.  I don't recall any other manufacturer making it either so idk.
View Quote
Exactly, which is why I'm surprised there isn't a clear replacement. Could be why marsoc seems to be using the m600v so much though
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 12:34:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shadeone] [#37]

Fixed some things since I last posted this a few months ago...
- PSA M4A1 lower
- PSA 16" M4 kit
- Barrel chopped to 14.7", re-profiled and re-parkerized
- Flash hider pinned and welded
- Colt side sling swivel
- Colt M4 stock
- KAC RAS with SAS bottom rail
- KAC VFG
- Colt grip
- Colt safety selector
- Matech BUIS
- Aimpoint Comp M2 with spare battery holder
- QRP Aimpoint mount
- OKAY mag
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Just a heads up,  KAC ambi selectors on the SAC page this a.m.

Part #20067
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By shadeone:
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/1965/Uq07ur.jpg

Fixed some things since I last posted this a few months ago...
- PSA M4A1 lower
- PSA 16" M4 kit
- Barrel chopped to 14.7", re-profiled and re-parkerized
- Flash hider pinned and welded
- Colt side sling swivel
- Colt M4 stock
- KAC RAS with SAS bottom rail
- KAC VFG
- Colt grip
- Colt safety selector
- Matech BUIS
- Aimpoint Comp M2 with spare battery holder
- QRP Aimpoint mount
- OKAY mag
View Quote

Nice MWS clone and picture. It could do without the SAS rail though. I'd put an earlier RAS and M951 on there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll take the SAS rail off of your hands!
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll take the SAS rail off of your hands!
View Quote

I also like the SAS bottom rail, gives a really tight lock up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Went with the SAS lower because I hate rattles on things... Also, the only noticeable difference is the set screw on the bottom and I can live with that being "incorrect". Also, the price for a complete new set with the RAS lower, VFG and panels when I got it was a lot cheaper than a beat up / used normal RIS anywhere
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 3:55:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 4:17:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrRecon] [#44]
Originally Posted By mlin:
https://i.imgur.com/MbVnpgu.jpg
View Quote

I memba.

Edit: Whoops, pic thread:

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#45]
BA barrel came in today. kac spacer-16" length, and then it will go on the PSA M4 lower.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Wasn't going to run through all 191 pages to see if it's already here, but thought this thread as an appropriate place for this pic.
Chris Miller; unknown if this is before or after he & his team came to help ODA574 after the friendly-fire incident.  Not a clone-doer but that looks a lot like a plain-old 2001 Block I to me. (?)
I happened to dig this up for another matter, as he is now:

Christopher C. Miller
Acting SECDEF
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 10:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sn8kplissken] [#48]
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Does anyone know where I can get an older Colt M4 stock (pre P&S/CAGE style)?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Does anyone know where I can get an older Colt M4 stock (pre P&S/CAGE style)?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/138579/sa52402_jpg-1693577.JPG
View Quote

I have one in the EE with some other Block 1/GWOT stuff. PM me.
Page / 228
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top