Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2012 2:57:09 PM EDT
Just got a chance to try out the Innovative Arms WAR adjustable upper. All I can say is VERY Impressed.

I was using it on an auto lower and the ROF difference between suppressed and unsuppressed modes was amazing, it really made it a ton more controllable.

The amount of gas in the face was decreased by a noticeable amount as well.

It ran a wide variety of ammo fine in both suppressed and unsupressed.

Never got too hot to adjust even after multiple mag dumps.

Id say this is a much better solution for shooting suppressed the adjustable gas blocks out there.

Only thing I would change is I wish they would bother to mark the positions on the upper instead of wasting all the markings on branding haha.

MMMM awesome:
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty cool. How does it function internally compared to a Noveske or Larues verions?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 4:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pretty cool. How does it function internally compared to a Noveske or Larues verions?

Works the same way, swaps from a bigger hole to a smaller one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Noveske NSR?  How's that hold up with the heat of multiple mag dumps?  That some kind of aftermarket carbon fiber rail attachment as well?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Noveske NSR?  How's that hold up with the heat of multiple mag dumps?  That some kind of aftermarket carbon fiber rail attachment as well?

Wilson Combat TRIM

I'm interested this as well.  Even though I won't be running it full auto, the upper I'm currently having built uses a TRIM rail and I was curious how hot they got.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#5]
What covers do you have on that rail.I have a trim rail and was looking covers. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What covers do you have on that rail.I have a trim rail and was looking covers. Thanks.

I believe if I remember correctly from his other thread they are KAC panels
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.knightarmco.com/portfolio/urx-iii-3-1-panel-kit/?cate_cm=commercial&term=control-accessories&features=urx-iii-3-1-panel-kit

They work perfect on the Wilson rails.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks Ace
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:47:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't find it too hard to remember that if the arrow is in line with the bore, it's in 'normal' mode.  It's not like there are nine selector options.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:09:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 4:38:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one and agree it works great. What buffer are you using?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:02:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I didn't find it too hard to remember that if the arrow is in line with the bore, it's in 'normal' mode.  It's not like there are nine selector options.

Im just saying, they marked up the whole upper with logos, could have put a little S.

Quoted:
I have one and agree it works great. What buffer are you using?

Vltor A5
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#13]
can you use diff manf rails?

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:14:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
can you use diff manf rails?  

Yep, most any rail should work, thats why I went with it on this build over a switchblock etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Everything forward of the selector is standard.  They chopped the gas tube where it goes in the upper, but it's inside, and doesn't affect fit of rails.  You just need room to get your booger hooks on the selector.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So they moved the adjustment to the receiver. Seems clever, might be enough of a market with suppressors being more common to justify whatever modification they make to the upper receiver.

It seems like they just mill out a standard upper to add in their little switch.

I think the smart thing about this is that it allows you to use any rail system/ handguard  or even a front site base if you want, instead of the adjustable gas blocks that limit your choices.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep us up to date, please.

This system seems very well thought out, and I am very interested.

(In other words, TAG.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
The price is kind of steep, but it looks like a good solution if you shoot both suppressed and unsuppressed.  I'm thinking about trying one.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember when Phillip was using a converted shipping container as a shop. I have one of his first 5.56 cans. Good people.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks great, what's up with the tape on the baby acog though?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looks great, what's up with the tape on the baby acog though?

Inner tube rubber, you can pull it forward or back to brighten or dim the reticle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Keep us up to date, please.

This system seems very well thought out, and I am very interested.

(In other words, TAG.)

Ill see if I can get video of the ROF difference next time I go.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The amount of gas in the face was decreased by a noticeable amount as well.

It ran a wide variety of ammo fine in both suppressed and unsupressed.

Do you have RTV on the charging handle?

And is there any noise/gas escaping from the gas tube and selector coupling with the suppressor attached?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I couldn't wait any longer, I just ordered the W.A.R. upper for a future build.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Id say this is a much better solution for shooting suppressed the adjustable gas blocks out there.

Only thing I would change is I wish they would bother to mark the positions on the upper instead of wasting all the markings on branding haha.

Completely agree:

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Any of you guys that have the WAR upper tried turning the switch so that it is in between settings and fire a round?

I ask this because I was reading the instructions on the WAR upper, and it states that this will render the gun to a single shot, which I fully understand, obviously, but I am wondering if there are any ill effects to the gun. I think it is interesting to have this ability for one very quiet shot using a suppressor, but I do not want to attempt it if will cause a problem.

That said, it will be a awhile until I get my upper together, but here is a list of my intentions.

1) WAR upper.
2) DD CHF barrel cut to 11 3/4". I chose this length due to the forearm I intend to use, Troy 11" Alpha no sight forearm. Barrel is already in hand just needs to be sent out to be cut and precision threaded for suppressor use. (ADCO will be doing the work.)
3) I already have a AAC 7.62 SDN-6 awaiting approval from the ATF.
4) Lower is a STAG that I SBR'd many years ago, spec'd with the usual MagPul gear.

While I have built many uppers over the years, I more than likely will just all the components to ADCO for assembly since they will be doing the barrel work.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I read (from innovative arms) that if you are using this on a 5.56 rifle, you can only use a 5.56 suppressor. That kind if rules out my idea of getting one and running a .30 cal. can on it.. Has anybody used a larger caliber suppressor than the rifle is chambered for with this receiver?
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I read (from innovative arms) that if you are using this on a 5.56 rifle, you can only use a 5.56 suppressor. That kind if rules out my idea of getting one and running a .30 cal. can on it.. Has anybody used a larger caliber suppressor than the rifle is chambered for with this receiver?

IIRC, I believe RustedAce is running a SDN-6 on his upper.

That said, I do have an old M4-2000 but it uses the old 18T and I have come to the conclusion that while the suppressor does a great job at suppressing it fails miserably at retaining POI/POA.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top