Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2012 6:11:42 PM EDT
I have seen references to some mod involving an o-ring used somewhere on the extractor. I have tried searching but can't seem to find any topics explaining what it is, or how to do it. What is the purpose of it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have seen references to some mod involving an o-ring used somewhere on the extractor. I have tried searching but can't seem to find any topics explaining what it is, or how to do it. What is the purpose of it?

Think of it as another compression spring. It goes around the extractor spring and provides additional force to help the extractor hold onto the cartridge case rim.  Works particularly well in SBRs, The SBR is a little more violent during firing due to the short dwell time and i expect higher carrier speeds.  Does that help? Unfortunately, i don't have pics handy
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It goes around the extractor spring to help or assist it.
Here's a pic...http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33922
Some like them but not really necessary if you are not having extractor issues.
Just use a strong spring and black insert.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a pic...

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a pic...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AR15forme/Extractor%20Springs/BCM3.jpg

Thanks, I was being lazy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
That pic shows it exactly. I am not a fan of running them unless needed. If your extractor is too tight it can have issues snapping over the case and that's just a bad as slipping off when extracting.

As stated it makes more sense for short barrels as the pressure is still higher in the barrel and case which swells the case to press into the chamber. Adding an oring or d-fender? allows the extractor to pull more, which can also result in ripped case rims.

I have taken them out of both of my bolts as they came installed from the factory. Are you asking about this because your having extraction issues or because your just curious after reading and hearing about it?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That pic shows it exactly. I am not a fan of running them unless needed. If your extractor is too tight it can have issues snapping over the case and that's just a bad as slipping off when extracting.

As stated it makes more sense for short barrels as the pressure is still higher in the barrel and case which swells the case to press into the chamber. Adding an oring or d-fender? allows the extractor to pull more, which can also result in ripped case rims.

I have taken them out of both of my bolts as they came installed from the factory. Are you asking about this because your having extraction issues or because your just curious after reading and hearing about it?

No, I'm not having any issues at all, it is as you suspected - just curiosity after reading and hearing about it.

Thanks so much to everyone for explaining and posting the picture. I had no idea what it was, or where it would go. I guess I'll just file this mod away in memory for now as something to try if I do have extraction issues at some point.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a pic...

Stop it.  The placards are everywhere.

It's a make shift cure, for a deficiency in the extraction process.
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's a pic...

Stop it.  The placards are everywhere.

It's a make shift cure, for a deficiency in the extraction process.

You're too late.
It's already been decided.

It's the interwebz and weird remedies and ideas live on.
Damn, I'm glad I'm not a vendor trying to make an honest living !

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Wasn't there a post here about it turning some guys AR into a club in freezing weather?
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a pic...

I put one in and then I started getting dented brass.  Didn't need it.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wasn't there a post here about it turning some guys AR into a club in freezing weather?

Dunno.
Hope nobody was shooting back !
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes there was. I don't recall what happened after testing live fire but the theory was that the extra pressure on the bolt carrier cause it to be harder to move the bolt which caused it to not feed. He was going to do a freezer test freezing the bcg along with a few others but I'm not sure what happened with that. Looks like I'll be searching that at work tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My bushmaster started having issues after about 1500 rds.  spent casing and live round couldnt decide whos turn it was to go into the chamber.  Got an extractor spring upgrade kit from BCM and havent had an issue since.  It comes with a spring, black silicoine insert and an O-ring ... bout 5 bucks
Link Posted: 2/8/2012 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm using BCM bolt extractor upgrade kit (but not the Crane O-ring for now) on my two Colt and one LMT carbine gas system 16" barrel AR, I could feel the more extraction force and it throws my brass a little further and in a smaller area than before.

With my 20" M16A2 upper and 16" midlength gas upper I use the BCM O-ring to increase the extraction force and so far so good they both run like a sewing machine.

I'm not too worried about the freezing temperatures here in the desert where I live.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extractor-Spring-Uprade-Kit-p/bcm%20extractor%20spring%20upgrade.htm

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Just run the new Colt copper colored extractor spring and black insert.

No need for an o-ring 99% of the time.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 1:15:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Rubber o-rings around the extractor spring are a relatively new "invention" and have always struck me as a last resort bubba job.  Putting a five cent rubber o-ring in a crucial moving spot that gets exposed to cleaner, oils, and high temperature has never seemed like a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes there was. I don't recall what happened after testing live fire but the theory was that the extra pressure on the bolt carrier cause it to be harder to move the bolt which caused it to not feed. He was going to do a freezer test freezing the bcg along with a few others but I'm not sure what happened with that. Looks like I'll be searching that at work tomorrow!

The o-ring got hard and the extractor wouldn't go over the rim.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Rubber o-rings around the extractor spring are a relatively new "invention" and have always struck me as a last resort bubba job.  Putting a five cent rubber o-ring in a crucial moving spot that gets exposed to cleaner, oils, and high temperature has never seemed like a good idea.

From Dupont; "Viton® fluoroelastomer is the most specified fluoroelastomer, well known for its excellent (400°F/200°C) heat resistance. Viton® offers excellent resistance to aggressive fuels and chemicals".
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 6:45:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Dupont; "Viton® fluoroelastomer is the most specified fluoroelastomer, well known for its excellent (400°F/200°C) heat resistance. Viton® offers excellent resistance to aggressive fuels and chemicals".

This, you just don't to down to the local hardware and buy a cheap O ring.  You don't need to pay a lot either.

McMaster-Carr Viton o-rings.
1201T16 (Same as 1201T111) Mil-Spec Viton O-Ring AS568A Dash Number 006
ID: 1/8" (0.114")
OD: 1/4" (0.254")

The only gun I have needed one for is a 7.5" & 10.5" pistol.

Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:22:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The o-ring got hard and the extractor wouldn't go over the rim.

Thanks. That's kinda what I figured would happen. It's definitely not something I would add since I live in a cold climate!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top