Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2011 2:39:07 PM EDT
I have had a Ruger Mini 14 for 35 years now and due to the wood stock there is literally only one way to hold the gun when firing just like someone would with any other typical design hunting rifle. This next week my brother is leaving his .223 BCM AR15 clone (16" barrel with iron sights) with me when he goes out of town and I plan on shooting it out in the "back 40" just to see any difference between it and my mini-14. I have looked at pictures on the Internet and there appears to be two distinct different ways of holding the AR15 when shooting and I am curiuos as to how most hold their AR15's. Both ways show the trigger finger/hand in the typical position at the trigger but where the other hand goes is distinctly different. In one senario the other hand is placed very close to the trigger hand and is using the magazine and magazine carrier for support where both hands are very near each other. In the other senario the non trigger arm is extended way out to almost the end of the barrel shroud where that arm is only bent slightly. Are there pro's and con's to these two different styles? I also note that some have the stocks set in close where one's face is almost in the receiver when shooting and some have the stock extended as per a regular hunting rifle. Help a noob/old man out here !  I'll try both ways but am curious in the mean time. Thanks...
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
A lot of Marine sniper type shooters will say that you should bring
your support hand as far back to the receiver as you can,(even under the mag) resting
your elbow/tricept into your rib cage.

Unlike the pic above.

Still, what ever works for you.

I like to grab the front of the mag well and wrap the sling around my arm.

kz
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I generally shoot using the latter method for better muzzle control, but I wouldn't be afraid to bring my hand in if the situation dictates a bit more stability or precision.  Maybe not full-on magwell grip, but closer to the receiver.  Different tools for different jobs.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I hold the mag well cause I shoot left handed.  By holding the mag well I can drop the empty mag using my right thumb then grab a fresh mag.  I can't just extend my trigger finger like a right handed shooter can.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just different schools of shooting. The method KZ45 described is more of a High Power grip. GilenusX207 uses the newer school grip with arm extended to allow for better muzzle control. I use a more tradition rifle grip as seen below.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I tend to move the vfg close to the receiver and and use it more of a half hand-stop more then a vfg.   I will eventually probably get around to trying an AFG, as it's pretty much what my natural tendency tends to emulate, particularly on a carbine where it's a bit cramped in the real estate department.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#7]
The highpower grip provides a stable platform when you're trying for small groups on a single target.  The firehose grip provides more control over the muzzle making it easier to switch between multiple targets.  How you grip the weapon shouldn't necessarily be based on what you feel is most comfortable, but rather what works best for you in the given scenario.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
i choose different holds for different placements..
magwell, close rail, far rail..  balance is what dictates it for me..  ymwv..
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]

I use an extended grip, if I am shooting past 100 I usually bring my support hand closer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The highpower grip provides a stable platform when you're trying for small groups on a single target.  The firehose grip provides more control over the muzzle making it easier to switch between multiple targets.  How you grip the weapon shouldn't necessarily be based on what you feel is most comfortable, but rather what works best for you in the given scenario.

+1.  The Highpower/Offhand style works even better with a shooting jacket on :)

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Try them all at the range and figure out what works best for you. My grip/stance that works great for me could be a total failure for you and vice versa. Don't be constrained by what everyone else does, but do check other approaches out to see if they'd make good additions to your toolbox.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Start slow and find whats comfortable and works for you. That would be my advice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the vfg place quite close to the magazine and brace my elbow against the ribs for a 'turret stance' and tend to stick to that for close range.  When the range stretches out a bit I move the elbow out to limit breathing effects on accuracy and shot timing.  Really long ranges or high-precision scenarios OH the elbow comes back in for bracing as things slow down anyway for me.  I'm rather tall and use the stock fully extended, which puts my nose about 1-1/2 inches from the charging handle- but this is a highly individual thing and is dictated by my height, reach and how my aging eyes interact with the particular sights that I am using.

That, as several people have stated, is the thing- different things work for different people and situations and you'll have to experiment to find what works for you in a given shooting situation.  Start out shooting as you are most familiar from the Mini14 and modify based on what works for you.  Play around a little and have fun with it.  The AR is very different to shoot than a mini14; I think that you'll enjoy it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I find myself using the magwell grip when shooting at multiple targets and not really going for groups.  When going for groups, I find I do better with my hand farther down the rail.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#15]
This works well for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Traditional rifle grip or magwell grip for me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Reverse "C" grip with elbow resting on side or magazine pouch. Kick hip towards target "like a girl". Toes making a line shoulder width apart pointing towards target. This Provides bone support and muscle relaxation. Bring your rifle to your head, not your head to the rifle. Get a good natural point of aim by aiming at the target, closing your eyes and opening them to see where your sights naturally want to fall. Adjust your stance so they fall on target naturally. Solid and consistent cheek weld to stock with nose to the charging handle, stock high in the "pocket" of the shoulder by reaching your arm out and "grabbing for air", high and firm grip, sight alignment, sharp front sight post, blurry target, trigger and breath control shooting at the natural pause between breaths.

If you are just sending rounds down range in a hurry then just worry about that front sight post.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Shoot however is comfortable and consistent for you for the type shooting you are doing. Dont get caught up in what the latest tactical, dynamic, operator grade, etc... shooting position is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]
The key here is to differentiate between different types of shooting.

The first would be slow fire from the standing position, where the goal is accuracy and you can take your time between shots.  Propping your elbow into your hip and resting the bottom of the magazine on your hand is good here.  This gives you good musculoskeletal  support.  However, controlling recoil will prove difficult.  You will also be unable to move and shoot like this.    Here is an example of this type of stance:  OFF HAND

The other environment revolves more around close quarters, where you are firing rapidly and will need to move and shoot.  In this sceneario, placing your support hand extremely far forward on the rifle will help to maintain positive rearward pressure to control recoil.  The type of grip specifically would be called the "thumb break."  This is because you are wrapping your thumb over the top rail.   It will also help with "driving the gun" from target to target.  This will allow you to transition rapidly between targets while controlling recoil during high rates of fire.  However, it will not allow you to shoot as accurately at long range.  Here is an example of this type of shooting: THUMB BREAK

You can use either one of these methods depending on your environment and what you're trying to accomplish.  It is good to be proficient and comfortable with both.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]

there's a lot of different ways, depending on if you're at a Service rifle (bullseye) match, 3-gun match, or SWAT, entry team.

This may help....

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer the 1 ar per hand matrix style, and yelling DIE!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I grip the mag well and have even seen some sort of grip that slips over the mag well to assist your grip to that end. It did look like it might interfere in the mag dropping free. On another note as soon as you shoot the AR your gonna want to upgrade out of that mini-14. that's what happened to me!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Reverse "C" grip with elbow resting on side or magazine pouch. Kick hip towards target "like a girl". Toes making a line shoulder width apart pointing towards target. This Provides bone support and muscle relaxation. Bring your rifle to your head, not your head to the rifle. Get a good natural point of aim by aiming at the target, closing your eyes and opening them to see where your sights naturally want to fall. Adjust your stance so they fall on target naturally. Solid and consistent cheek weld to stock with nose to the charging handle, stock high in the "pocket" of the shoulder by reaching your arm out and "grabbing for air", high and firm grip, sight alignment, sharp front sight post, blurry target, trigger and breath control shooting at the natural pause between breaths.

If you are just sending rounds down range in a hurry then just worry about that front sight post.

What he said.  Different forward grips for different types of shooting.  I shot competitive small bore as a kid, for accuracy bone to bone, bone to ground.  For accurate offhand shooting look at Tubb's stance.  For clearing a room, get a hand forward to control the muzzle more.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

there's a lot of different ways, depending on if you're at a Service rifle (bullseye) match, 3-gun match, or SWAT, entry team.

This may help....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW1LZKJmtbw

Awesome Jerry rules
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends on the type of shooting you are doing......I prefer a "thumb over top" grip as it offers better muzzle control for the events I participate in.   When I shoot in a long range event that requires standing I move my support hand rearward.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I am going to preface my comments by saying that I am a shotgun shooter first, second, and last.  I shoot probably 15,000 shotshells per year compared to only maybe only a thousand pistol and rifle rounds.

That said, I shoot practical rifle with what I would call a "modified" thumb break hold.  It would be something like this:

http://internationalsportingclays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/wendell_cherry.png

This isn't me but imagine the above with the thumb over the top of the bore and that's my handhold for practical rifle.  The above is exactly what I do for shotguns.

The extended index finger is part of the whole thing.  With shotguns, you don't aim, you "point" and it is a very dynamic discipline so you need to hold the gun in a way that you can move it freely.  Point at something across the room as you would normally.  Now, curl your hand around as if you are holding a rifle like shown in Standards pic at the top of the first page.  You feel the tension an discomfort in your wrist?  Personally, I don't see how that's beneficial.  You're putting stress on your joint that shouldn't be there.  So, with an extended index finger, not only do you have the unconscious feeling that your pointing at something that you're trying to shoot, you also have a relaxed wrist.  The extended index finger is also helpful, to me, to drive and stop the gun to different spots.  Try it, it might feel awkward at first but it works for me.

For reference, I also extend my arm quite far foward.  My arms are long and, lately I've been playing with a DDM4 V5 LW Upper with a 12" Omega X rail.  I find I can use the end of the rail is a good reference point for hand placement.  My extended index finger goes to the end of the rail and I'm GTG.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#27]

This is about how I do it. Like to reach out for it.  The AFG or VFGs are not really comfortable on my wrist.  I actually trip it a little more from the bottom .
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Im rocking the "Chris Costa" Grip

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:45:04 AM EDT
[#29]
You will find that the appropriate answer from the majority of ARFCOM will be whatever was used in the last Magpul Dynamics video. One day I was looking at the 'show your AR15 in action' thread  and all of the sudden i started noticing a lot of people rocking the Chris Costa style grip. I looked at the date in which I really started noticing a lot of pictures with that stance....and low and behold it was right around the time that AOTTC came out. Coincidentally (I'm sure) this is also around the same time everyone started throwing away their VFG'S and started using handstops.

Ultimately its about what works for you. There is no perfect stance/grip, and really it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Much like motorcyclist and professional athletes,  there are often certain principles to adhere too, but what works for someone else doesn't always work for you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Traditional rifle grip or magwell grip for me.

This. I know it's not a cool as the extended hand hold but that is just uncomfortable to me. I understand the idea but I'll use what works for me.
Dave N

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Depends what rifle I'm shooting. If its my issue M4, I shoot holding the magazine well to not cause an alignment error with the barrel, unless I'm doing short range marksmanship 7-15m away, then I use my gangster grip - you can't really do the "Chris Costa" Magpul style grip with a carbine length rail that has a PEQ unit and big ass surefire on it.

If its my custom Block II build I'll still push the rifle into my shoulder pocket by the magazine well with my non-firing hand in the prone or kneeling position, but if I'm standing I'll put my hand more farther out to control the barrel better and be able to manipulate the pressure switch for my PEQ and M3X.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I prefer the 1 ar per hand matrix style, and yelling DIE!!!!

You sir are a man among men
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I've always used the "traditional" grip because that is the way I was trained and it works for me.

One thing I have learned about shooting stances and weapon holds, for both rifles and handguns, is that there is no "one size fits all answer."

One method might work great for one person and not so well for someone else, and vice versa.

That has to do with everyone having a different and unique body to work with more than anything else.

So you have to experiment and find what works for YOU best.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice action shot 'wahoo'.
I have recently started to use that hand position and find it to be more comfortable than it looks.
I began by gripping the mag well, in CQB, that's what works best for me. Unlike you, I do the opposite. For longer range I use the C clamp as pictured in your post.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top