Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2011 3:19:36 AM EDT
I'd like to install a larger safety selector switch on my M4.

Which one would you guys recommend? Links please.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to the new products forum in ar15 and look at the battle arms thread about their new selector. Pretty nice if you ask me! But it all comes down to personal taste.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a COLT!

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Find Henderson Defense BADASS in the new products section.  They have a number of options for lever shape, length, etc.  A guy named Duffy can answer any of your questions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:03:24 AM EDT
[#4]
BADASS

[/thread]
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:58:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BADASS

[/thread]

Wish I could add more...I can BAD-ASS-ST!

Duffy is the man for BAD ASS...answer any question...help selecting the lever style you want...exchange the lever you have for the lever you want.

I installed my BAD ASS ST over 3 weeks ago & all I have time for is dry firing at the TV. Snow & work are cramping my shooting time specially w/ a new indoor range 10mins from home.

7mm
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Personally I am a fan of the Rock River Arms raised star safety selector.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BADASS

[/thread]

Wish I could add more...I can BAD-ASS-ST!

Duffy is the man for BAD ASS...answer any question...help selecting the lever style you want...exchange the lever you have for the lever you want.

I installed my BAD ASS ST over 3 weeks ago & all I have time for is dry firing at the TV. Snow & work are cramping my shooting time specially w/ a new indoor range 10mins from home.

7mm

Another Vote (actually 3 votes) for BAD-ASS-ST(45 degree).... once you go BAD-ASS-ST...you can't go back :-)

I am starting my 3rd build with them and wouldn't have any thing else!

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Me too - but I'd still like to try one of the BAD-ASSes.

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I installed a BAD-ASS 3 weeks ago and think I'm really going to like it. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to take it out either.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, lot of choices. I just want the one that will allow me to easily switch between fire and safe while keeping my grip and trigger finger in place, if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If that's all you want a stock selector will work. If you want an upgrade I would recommend the badass hands down.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow, lot of choices. I just want the one that will allow me to easily switch between fire and safe while keeping my grip and trigger finger in place, if that makes sense.

If this is what you want, you want the BAD ASS ST 45 degree selector with two short levers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, from what I've read, thanks to Duffy, and others...

I should to with the ambi switch, can't use the 45 because my lower is not able to take it.

Now I just have to decide on the selector shape/size, etc.

Is there a video anywhere about installing the ambi switches? I've found several good ones on putting in single selectors. Same process?

It looks fairly easy (famous last words).
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK, from what I've read, thanks to Duffy, and others...

I should to with the ambi switch, can't use the 45 because my lower is not able to take it.
Now I just have to decide on the selector shape/size, etc.

Is there a video anywhere about installing the ambi switches? I've found several good ones on putting in single selectors. Same process?

It looks fairly easy (famous last words).

FYI, the 45 version has a small stainless pin (that is soft) and should you chose to it is very easy to file down in seconds...then it will fit in ANY receiver. :-)

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Duffy, sorry, but one more question. I gathered from what  read here that the 45 degree option will *not* work with any lower receivers other than those made to accept it. So, for instance, my DDM4 lower won't work with it. Was I incorrect?

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks Duffy, sorry, but one more question. I gathered from what  read here that the 45 degree option will *not* work with any lower receivers other than those made to accept it. So, for instance, my DDM4 lower won't work with it. Was I incorrect?

If you look at the pic I posted above, those are both DD lowers with 45s in them (so is my 3rd one)....I think my last order had a Twinkie included...with a small file baked inside. :-)

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#18]
In my talks with Duffy online before purchasing a BADASS-ST lever, I told him I would not talk about what was required to modify one to work in a normal lower.  It is easy to do, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

The reasoning for making them not just a drop in part for a normal lower is that the fire marking will no longer line up with the lever, so it imparts some liability if someone were to have an accident down the line.

To counter this, I clearly marked my lower to aleviate any confusion as to just where the lever is pointing.  Gots to be careful in this modern sue happy world we live in tthese days.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#23]
kwrangln,

You should market and sell those "labels".... I need 3 please :-)
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/products/sftys8.gif

I got a DPMS lower parts kit that came with an AR10 saftey which was of course not going to work.  I got the correct saftey from Brownells, the STAR as shown above.  Best and most positive feel of them all.  Cost was like $9.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#26]
When you say "best feel of them all" have you tried the B.A.D.A.S.S. selectors?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#27]

I got a DPMS lower parts kit that came with an AR10 saftey which was of course not going to work.  I got the correct saftey from Brownells, the STAR as shown above.  Best and most positive feel of them all.  Cost was like $9.

DPMS makes a safety selector for the AR-10?  Huh?  Since when?  The LR-308 and the AR safety selector are one in the same.  If it works for the LR-308, it works for the AR-15.
Or did you get confused by it being part number LR-08?  That does not mean it was for the LR-308, but part #8 for the Lower Receiver.
Please say this was a simple mistake on your part and not an attempt to bash DPMS for something they do not even make.  I have built up 4 LR-308s and know first hand that the LR-308 uses the same lower parts at the AR-15 except for the pivot pin, take down pin, and bolt catch screw.  Any safety for the AR-15 works in the DPMS LR-308.

Link Posted: 1/22/2011 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to recommend two for different reasons.  The BAD ASS one is really nice, well made, great concept with the flexibility and their customer service is top notch.  Having said that, I have wrist/hand problems where it didn't work well for me with what I was able to do.  I happen to like and use the Star selector by RRA, in my Colt no less - the horror.  The big "boob" on it makes it easy for me to work the selector even with my ergo problems.  Now, if B.A.D. happens to come out with a selector that happens to look and feel like the RRA star one, I might accidentally buy that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey!  My buddy got one of those Battle selectors on one of his guns.  He's an armorer for contract security companies overseas.  We go shooting when he's home and he showed it to me a while back, but I didn't get to mess with it too much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I have 4 of the BADASSes, good kit.

My prefered levers are the short and stubby strong side and short an thin weakside.
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Why do you think they made the safety a 90 degree throw? It is awkward.

And if 45 degrees is so much better why haven't they moved to 45?
Link Posted: 1/22/2011 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:25:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The FAL styple lever idea was brought up to us before, in some cases it works well, but we didn't see the benefits.  There must be reasons this lever shape (skinny levers that terminates in a knob) never caught on.  I've seen it on metric FALs and RRAs, but do not recall seeing it on other platforms.  Most selectors on modern platforms are not thus shaped, again for good reasons.

We're looking into making the standard and short levers thicker, either 1.5x or 2x thicker.  These tall profile levers, if we proceed with production, will be optional, and not replace the current standard and short levers which have roughly the same profile as the USGI lever

I prefer the near-hemispherical shape and texturing of the RRA Star because it rolls under your thumb and works with less than perfect thumb engagement.  If you offered a similar design I'd be all over your selector.

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does your buddy like it?

I can't remember which gun he had it on.  But he did seem pleased with it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top