User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vanquishings] [#1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc3iOVO_Vqc

So this guy has a "real deal" Mk12, but doesn't have an AEM5 and has to get allen to send them one for the video.....

ETA: page ownage.

Link Posted: 9/13/2018 4:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drago6] [#2]
BA barrel and Badger gas block...not a match made in heaven

Unless there’s a magic secret, guess it’s time for a new barrel or GB. I put a generic .750 GB on and it went on like butter, but the Badger and PRI FSB barely made it past the step up. Tried it on the BA 16" Mod-H barrel and same result as well

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Drill a 3/4" hole in a 2x4, oil the barrel, and beat it on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
Yeah, had both and ran both on my Mk 12 Mod 1 and Holland.

The PVS-30 is a wonderful clip on, but it's a really poor choice for a Mk 12 IMO. It's absurdly heavy, I mean an absolute beast. It's really long. The mount is old and kinda crap (relies on shims and can be really finicky moving between multiple rifles without manual adjustment). The focus ring is really far out there and hard to manipulate, especially from a firing position. Because of it's length, you can not run the front BUIS on the Mod 1. I had both compact scopes on the Mod 1 and Holland so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure if you're running the 3.5-10 the 30 might not even fit, or if it does it'll be on the very last rail section and having off the end of the gun quite a bit. The PVS-30 really shines when you're shooting 500-1000yds — which is not what most people do with their Mk 12s at night IME. If you're primarily going to be shooting at that distance, and probably using a rifle/caliber more tuned for that distance, there's no better deal out there right now than one of the refurb units.

The PVS-22 on the other hand is a tiny little unit, super light (feels less than 1/2 or 1/3 of the 30), really compact and is a phenomenal clip-on for shots out to 500yds with the right glass. The focus knob is much easier to reach and easier to manipulate (doesn't require as much leverage and easy to do with one finger). It fits on any Mk 12 and most AR15 builds. Most Mk 12 clones are using old, clone glass, so in that case somewhere around 400 or 450yd is more reasonable. But if you've got some really nice, modern glass behind it it'd probably be just fine for out to 600 or so.

For me, when I go shoot at night, 80% of stuff ends up being a combo of sentinels + laser or passive through an EOTech. Then for that last 20% it's really fun to have a clip on for longer stuff, both target shooting at and hunting. And I just don't really ever go out and shoot at night past 500yds. It's fun to have the capability to do so, but just never ended up happening. I sold the 30 and kept the 22. If you have something like a Mk 13 or a M110, the 30 is really really nice. But for a Mk 12, really not a fan compared to other options.

They're not as readily available but if you look around you can definitely find a good 22 for around the same price as the refurb 30s.

https://i.imgur.com/4hCVrLS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vru6nXK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C0F3PbS.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TinyCrumb:
Originally Posted By sbye:
Originally Posted By tamboi:
Guys, I was wondering if anyone in the group had run a pvs-30 on their MK12 mod 0.
Quite a few have. I know @tinycrumb and @ecprevatte both have them. There are a couple more that I can't think of. I think a PVS-30 will be my next NV purchase.

Edit: tinycrumb might have the PVS-22... I don't recall.
Yeah, had both and ran both on my Mk 12 Mod 1 and Holland.

The PVS-30 is a wonderful clip on, but it's a really poor choice for a Mk 12 IMO. It's absurdly heavy, I mean an absolute beast. It's really long. The mount is old and kinda crap (relies on shims and can be really finicky moving between multiple rifles without manual adjustment). The focus ring is really far out there and hard to manipulate, especially from a firing position. Because of it's length, you can not run the front BUIS on the Mod 1. I had both compact scopes on the Mod 1 and Holland so I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure if you're running the 3.5-10 the 30 might not even fit, or if it does it'll be on the very last rail section and having off the end of the gun quite a bit. The PVS-30 really shines when you're shooting 500-1000yds — which is not what most people do with their Mk 12s at night IME. If you're primarily going to be shooting at that distance, and probably using a rifle/caliber more tuned for that distance, there's no better deal out there right now than one of the refurb units.

The PVS-22 on the other hand is a tiny little unit, super light (feels less than 1/2 or 1/3 of the 30), really compact and is a phenomenal clip-on for shots out to 500yds with the right glass. The focus knob is much easier to reach and easier to manipulate (doesn't require as much leverage and easy to do with one finger). It fits on any Mk 12 and most AR15 builds. Most Mk 12 clones are using old, clone glass, so in that case somewhere around 400 or 450yd is more reasonable. But if you've got some really nice, modern glass behind it it'd probably be just fine for out to 600 or so.

For me, when I go shoot at night, 80% of stuff ends up being a combo of sentinels + laser or passive through an EOTech. Then for that last 20% it's really fun to have a clip on for longer stuff, both target shooting at and hunting. And I just don't really ever go out and shoot at night past 500yds. It's fun to have the capability to do so, but just never ended up happening. I sold the 30 and kept the 22. If you have something like a Mk 13 or a M110, the 30 is really really nice. But for a Mk 12, really not a fan compared to other options.

They're not as readily available but if you look around you can definitely find a good 22 for around the same price as the refurb 30s.

https://i.imgur.com/4hCVrLS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Vru6nXK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C0F3PbS.jpg
Tiny, thanks for answering, the original goal was to get a pvs-22, picked up a peq-2a a while ago already. Unfortunately as much as I looked there wasn't that many units for sale and the prices were usually more than the 4800 price for the pvs-30. I know the pvs-30 is a beast, weight and size wise but from everything I've heard its an awful lot of bang for the buck. As for engagement distances was hoping for the 3-800 range. Perhaps I should ask around some of the forums and see if anyone local to me has a pvs-22 so I can try to compare the two. Thanks again for answering up Marty
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SDMF_Rebel:
View Quote
that certainly is an option haha. has anyone tried the DD or KAC gasblock and found better fitment?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I would think the tighter the better on the other side.  Worst case heat the gas block up a bit to get it on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By drago6:
that certainly is an option haha. has anyone tried the DD or KAC gasblock and found better fitment?
View All Quotes
If I remember, badger blocks are all really tight.  Steel will win vs wood, you won't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Unless there’s a magic secret, guess it’s time for a new barrel or GB. I put a generic .750 GB on and it went on like butter, but the Badger and PRI FSB barely made it past the step up. Tried it on the BA 16" Mod-H barrel and same result as well

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/449093/833CF721-E189-4A2E-8D73-B06F8AC001CE-670523.JPG
View Quote
Throw the barrel in the freezer overnight. Toss gas block in oven at 250-300. Have some "persuasion" available when you're ready to assemble.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:34:00 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote
Instructions not clear enough. Dick got caught in ceiling fan.

JK

Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

JK

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1857/30799758328_f51b3a5155_c.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WTFShane:

JK

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1857/30799758328_f51b3a5155_c.jpg
Burst out laughing at work, thanks for that!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lancecriminal86] [#11]
Got a little surplus store score. Older Otis cleaning kit with the blackened hardware for my SPR Pelican case.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a MK12 but shares something very interesting with one..

AK-Niner Mk1 - "Spetsnaz Concept" Kalashnikov (Saiga 223, AK102)
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Did a little MK12 Micro

Turned out kinda sweet
Used a kac mid length rail
DPMS gas block turned for the collar
BA mid length has barrel 13.6”

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 8:19:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#14]
Originally Posted By kells81:
Not a MK12 but shares something very interesting with one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XYtBvQjcCc
View Quote
Did it last year

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Got around to taking my Mod 1 to an indoor range to sight in the irons plus my 14.5” today with a buddy of mine. I thought my 14.5” middy was a tame shooter. But holy fucking balls that Mod 1 is smooth. New favorite rifle. If it wasn’t so long and ungainly, I’d slap my Aimpoint on it and keep it next to the bed. Can’t wait to get some good weather and sight in the scope and stretch it legs. Also, cut the phone in my Seahorse case for my Mod 1.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#16]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/449093/833CF721-E189-4A2E-8D73-B06F8AC001CE-670523.JPG
View Quote
Freeze the barrel, heat the gas block (in oven or with heat gun; low-temp torch will also work but just keep the temp LOW).  Old AK building trick from 15 years ago.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

Freeze the barrel, heat the gas block (in oven or with heat gun; low-temp torch will also work but just keep the temp LOW).  Old AK building trick from 15 years ago.  
View Quote
I sent mine back to BA.  It was oversized in a couple of places at the journals.  My gas block is the NSN Daniel Defense model.  I tried everything.  Freezing the barrel and MAPP gas torch on the block.  Would not fit.  That's when I measured the barrel with a micrometer.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ArpaioFan:

I sent mine back to BA.  It was oversized in a couple of places at the journals.  My gas block is the NSN Daniel Defense model.  I tried everything.  Freezing the barrel and MAPP gas torch on the block.  Would not fit.  That's when I measured the barrel with a micrometer.
View Quote
Ah, gotcha.  a little tight is one thing, truly outta spec is a whole other.  glad to hear BA is taking care of you tho.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 2:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#19]

View Quote
Not surprised to hear BA is taking care of you. I used the Badger Ordanance Gas block on my Mod 1 and it was a tight fit but no heating and cooling was required. It was like a match made in heaven.

Also, I know I asked this before but I can’t find It, was there a specific weapon light used on the Mod 1 along with the Peq-2(?). I’d really love to add a light for no reason other than to have one lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
Not surprised to hear BA is taking care of you. I used the Badger Ordanance Gas block on my Mod 1 and it was a tight fit but no heating and cooling was required. It was like a match made in heaven.

Also, I know I asked this before but I can’t find It, was there a specific weapon light used on the Mod 1 along with the Peq-2(?). I’d really love to add a light for no reason other than to have one lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:

Whatever was available through the SOPMOD kit, or whatever was available via supply, unit purchase, or bought from the PX.

So some sort of Surefire, earlier on likely a 951 or 961 type deal, maybe 962?
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 6:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mrsaturn7085] [#21]

View Quote
A propane torch and some tongs is all you need; hell you can probably just use the gas tube itself to position the block - the heat transfer isn't quick enough that it'll burn you.  Just make damn sure you position the gas block where you want it in about 20 seconds or so.  If it takes you longer than this to turn a set screw ~1 turn, you should not be the one doing the job.  So you can do the job in 30 seconds using a torch or spend 5 hours with the chilled barrel BS... mess up on the latter and you'll be waiting a few more hours to chill the barrel again (and really the dimension change between 60-70 deg F and 20 deg F is nearly nothing on steel).  What you really want to avoid is a torch on a match barrel itself - this only becomes an issue if you want to remove the gas block later.

Heating and cooling press-fit metal components isn't exactly just an AK building trick.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 8:57:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davey_Sickboy] [#22]
Beautiful day to rattlecan at the range....
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:
https://i.imgur.com/SihTlJ1.jpg
View Quote
Damnit son, nice paint job  
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Got a little surplus store score. Older Otis cleaning kit with the blackened hardware for my SPR Pelican case.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/324426/20180914_152038-671506.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/324426/20180914_125107-671505.JPG
View Quote
How dare you...
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:
https://i.imgur.com/SihTlJ1.jpg
View Quote
Those are some nice....paint cans
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I looked and searched but I can’t seem to find the answer. So if anybody knows, it’s yall.

What is the exact length (to the nearest fraction) of the KAC Mk12 RAS?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote
When journals are tight like that and you need to remove that hair. Make a flappping tool and flap the internal journal. Be careful and practice.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:56:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#29]
Still waiting on Brownells parts..   I wish I had waited till today though because they have 10% off today.    My go ahead and cart/order some holland parts for the next run home in December.  

Also ran across this outside of this thread.  I am sure it is in here somewhere but there are a shit ton of pages to get to.

I have the scope in a box somewhere would just have to buy the rings, and ARMs riser

Link Posted: 9/17/2018 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HARMS4X:

When journals are tight like that and you need to remove that hair. Make a flappping tool and flap the internal journal. Be careful and practice.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/27CA7F8C-9C42-43AB-BAA2-132E0EB153CA-674293.JPG
View Quote
I made one exactly like that a long time ago because the flap wheels we have were too big to reach into what I needed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#31]

LOL I am on vacation the rest of the week.  You wanna hang out and show me the ways of your Jedi Mastery?  
View Quote
Nope I'm booked this week but maybe later

What part of texas are you in?
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

I made one exactly like that a long time ago because the flap wheels we have were too big to reach into what I needed.
View Quote
It really does help on tight fits.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Works great until it catches something, rips the grinder out of your hand and bends the tool. Then you gotta go make another one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#34]
FYSA: sale at White Oak.....SPR barrels 195.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#35]
FYSA: sale at White Oak.....SPR barrels 195.
View Quote
got a link?   I am showing them at $275
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
They sent out an email; sale is only on Wednesday 9/19.

White Oak SPR Sale
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 5:22:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#37]

View Quote
Get on their email list.

ETA:  No link at the moment, as posted above the sale is Wednesday for Talk Like A Pirate Day.  So they're not totally stuffy at WOA at least, that's good to know.  

Got in on the Brownell's 10%/free ship ($99+) with a Badger gas block, a YHM gas block for another build, and 2 rifle gas tubes (future 6.5C will be rifle gas so might as well grab it now while I'm thinking about it).

Gives me the chance to at least get the KAC FF RAS fully installed on the mod 1 upper, since the collar and brake can be installed with the handguard in place.

A step in the right direction.  Still many more steps to go.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By WEK207:

White Oak SPR Sale
View All Quotes

White Oak SPR Sale
I'm not seeing a 16" spr profile mod h barrel
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:
View All Quotes

White Oak SPR Sale
Do your best pirate voice, call them, and ask if you could get a little applied to one of their 16" midgas match barrels with Ops 12th contour. Worst case they say no, and you can tell them the Mod H actually is on the handsheets still as SPR in certain armories.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

White Oak SPR Sale
Just buy a middy barrel in your choice of profile and have some one machine it for the ops brake & Collar
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

How much space do you have between the can and rail with that 13.6" and Medium RAS?
View Quote
I did 1/8. I think this was the barrel I bought from you.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Do your best pirate voice, call them, and ask if you could get a little applied to one of their 16" midgas match barrels with Ops 12th contour. Worst case they say no, and you can tell them the Mod H actually is on the handsheets still as SPR in certain armories.
View All Quotes

White Oak SPR Sale
Lol that would be hilarious to call them talking like a pirate tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Just buy a middy barrel in your choice of profile and have some one machine it for the ops brake & Collar
View All Quotes

White Oak SPR Sale
I’d love to have a CL criterion, or another Quality CL barrel(like a colt hbar)turned for a mod h ops profile. I inquired with CLE about this and they won’t turn CL barrels. Wish I knew who did.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:28:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#45]

I’d love to have a CL criterion, or another Quality CL barrel(like a colt hbar)turned for a mod h ops profile. I inquired with CLE about this and they won’t turn CL barrels. Wish I knew who did.
View Quote
what about adco?  they surely turned my wife's CL dissipator barrel no questions.  damn fine job of it too.

ETA:  website shows contouring for AE collar at $120. includes contouring and a custom collar according to the description.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#46]
what about adco?  they surely turned my wife's CL dissipator barrel no questions.  damn fine job of it too.

ETA:  website shows contouring for AE collar at $120. includes contouring and a custom collar according to the description.
View All Quotes

Damn thanks for that. I forgot all about adco.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
No worries.  I see Brownells has a 16" mid-gas CL criterion for about 250 with the military/C&R/FFL discount.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#48]
No worries.  I see Brownells has a 16" mid-gas CL criterion for about 250 with the military/C&R/FFL discount.....
View All Quotes

Yea the hybrid profile looks like what I’m going to do, then get adco to turn it.  I’ll have $400 in a CL barrel but it should be accurate enough and outlast me
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
They have the drawings from when they made my batch.  (not that it's a hard thing to figure out)  If I remember right, I shared with PRI and WOA in the hopes of getting a clone correct H mass produced.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 1:10:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kells81] [#50]
Most of my Mod 1 has arrived.  Waiting on the mounts and the brake/collar.  Torn on using my KAC BC or just reusing the colt one with the new bolt.

I have the sights in a drawer somewhere.   I am hoping to get to shoot this before I leave this week to go back to Iraq but its gonna be tight.   My ticket is a day earlier than I thought it was.

ETA:  Oops....

Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top