[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aaron580:

Only been that way for about a year now in all my photos
View Quote
why is that weird tho? i see tons of mod 1s with sopmod stocks
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
There were plenty of Mod 0s with CAR stocks, and I'm sure any stock in the inventory made it onto one at some point.  Hell, if the "Mod H" had a PRS originally, anything's possible!

I've got a SOPMOD on my Mod 1 and an A1 on my Mod 0, both are not uncommon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TahoeLT:
There were plenty of Mod 0s with CAR stocks, and I'm sure any stock in the inventory made it onto one at some point.  Hell, if the "Mod H" had a PRS originally, anything's possible!

I've got a SOPMOD on my Mod 1 and an A1 on my Mod 0, both are not uncommon.
View Quote
They didn't have prs stocks originally they had ace stocks.  Some of those stocks were taken off and replaced with other varieties
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a colt vinyl acetate stock on my late mod 0. Might be to old of a stock for my gun but the aluminum stock helps balance the gun better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:57:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#5]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:

Don't worry, mine only took 11.5 months!
View Quote
Don't worry, my dealer only forgot to submit the paperwork last July...... AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

And I just found out now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Got to test fit the can! Can't wait to shoot with it....

https://i.imgur.com/JHWq6eN.jpg

.....at home in a year
View Quote
Looks awesome bud. I'd expect less than a year though, wait times have really been dropping
http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

I'm hoping to get mine around Christmas, but I try not to think about it
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AL1EN:

why is that weird tho? i see tons of mod 1s with sopmod stocks
View Quote
Yes but not with A1 lowers. Those are M4 lowers
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:05:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that something you'd be willing to sell?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Engel12626:
Looks awesome bud. I'd expect less than a year though, wait times have really been dropping

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Engel12626:
Got to test fit the can! Can't wait to shoot with it....

https://i.imgur.com/JHWq6eN.jpg

.....at home in a year

I think I submitted my AEM5 F4 on October 16th.  I just got a Sandman-S back that was right at 52 weeks, but I have 2 more pending that are at 56 weeks now . . . .
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By cjwwd2:

Yes but not with A1 lowers. Those are M4 lowers
View Quote
So is it clone correct to have an m4 lower on a mk12?
ill use my hydra lower for an m16a1 build then.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

From Page 1:

LOWER
Lower receivers were standard across the SPR/Mk12 variants and the only variations would be between grips, stocks, and buffers. Most were marked either Colt or GM Hydramatic. All other parts were the same in regards to the lower parts. One caveat is the trigger, as the program originally selected the Knight’s Armament 2-stage Full Auto Match trigger. Later on, some issues regarding negligent discharges occurred, and Geissele SSF triggers ultimately found their way into the Mk12 family. Whether 100% of all Mk12s eventually received the Geissele trigger isn’t clear, so either is acceptable.

Lower: M16A1 pattern [Nodak Spud NDSA1 or 80% re-profiled/finished/engraved]
   Trigger: Knight’s 2-Stage Full Auto Match Trigger or Geissele SSF [KAC semi-auto Match or Geissele SSA/SSA-E]
   Grip: A1, A2, ERGO Original
   Stock: Originally issued with A1 stocks, both solid D and trapdoor E types; as A1 stocks dwindled, A2 were used; ModH rifles rebuilt with Ace SOCOM stocks
   Small parts: Standard M16A1 parts
M4 is not clone correct, although many here in this thread use it as I'm guilty of it to.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By prskiller:
From Page 1:

M4 is not clone correct, although many here in this thread use it as I'm guilty of it to.
View All Quotes

From Page 1:

LOWER
Lower receivers were standard across the SPR/Mk12 variants and the only variations would be between grips, stocks, and buffers. Most were marked either Colt or GM Hydramatic. All other parts were the same in regards to the lower parts. One caveat is the trigger, as the program originally selected the Knight’s Armament 2-stage Full Auto Match trigger. Later on, some issues regarding negligent discharges occurred, and Geissele SSF triggers ultimately found their way into the Mk12 family. Whether 100% of all Mk12s eventually received the Geissele trigger isn’t clear, so either is acceptable.

Lower: M16A1 pattern [Nodak Spud NDSA1 or 80% re-profiled/finished/engraved]
   Trigger: Knight’s 2-Stage Full Auto Match Trigger or Geissele SSF [KAC semi-auto Match or Geissele SSA/SSA-E]
   Grip: A1, A2, ERGO Original
   Stock: Originally issued with A1 stocks, both solid D and trapdoor E types; as A1 stocks dwindled, A2 were used; ModH rifles rebuilt with Ace SOCOM stocks
   Small parts: Standard M16A1 parts
BS.

Lots of usage of Mk12s on M4A1 lowers, from the earliest through the Mod 1.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

BS.

Lots of usage of Mk12s on M4A1 lowers, from the earliest through the Mod 1.
View Quote
Wait so M4s are good now?  Always thought Mk12s are M16a1.  Either way I have both, M4 for the H and M16a1 for the Mod 1.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Wait so M4s are good now?  Always thought Mk12s are M16a1.  Either way I have both, M4 for the H and M16a1 for the Mod 1.
View Quote
I think there are pics of M4 assemblies on A1 lowers in the photo gallery, Ill go through them in depth tomorrow when I have some time and find out, unless somebody else remembers them all or has time now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#15]
From the point the original SPR uppers were issued through Iraq, before the Mod 1 was really even on the scene, guys were dropping SPR uppers on M4A1 lowers. Our very own @Stukas87 has provided anecdotes and even photos showing this. There were also instances of armorers swapping carbine extensions on the A1 lowers as well. Also remember the very first SPR uppers were tested and initially fielded as just uppers for M4/M4A1 lowers.

It's the divider between the issued vs "in the wild" thing, and your build intent. If you prefer "as issued" or built from Crane, then you'd go 100% A1 with A1 or A2 stock. But in reality Mk12 uppers did get traded onto M4A1 lowers as needs dictated it. Stukas I believe cited eye relied as to why he went to the M4A1 lower/CAR stock, because it was a need and that was the fastest way to fix the issue. I can't access Imgur from work but the gallery includes everything from Stuka's OG SPR on an M4A1 lower/CAR stock, to later Mod 1s on M4A1 lowers much later in the GWOT with CTR and SOPMOD stocks. Some are pretty obvious because you can see the UID labels and CQD sling mounts, some you have to look more closely to notice the A2/M4 lower profile. But the anecdotes we've had over the years have all slowly come to light via pictures, if not pics then multiple vetted SF/Marine folks verifying this happened. Hell, I've got an unposted pic from a guy that used to be in out guard detachment who went back to the fleet, and he has a Mod 1 upper on what looks very clearly to be an M4 lower with waffle stock. That was a Marine rifle and I don't think he was Raiders/MARSOC or Recon. We also had some Marines on the FB group indicate there were old Mod 1s in their armory that had M4 lowers on them, and rifle stocks. Consider what the Marines would do if an A1 lower became serviceable, nothing gets wasted. They probably would source another lower from a down or spare rifle.

Not using this as a clone "bandaid" if you will, builder's intent should reveal if they're trying to copy a specific pic, or basing it off an upper they like and using an M4 lower because it was known to happen. Either are totally acceptable IMO. If someone's just being lazy that's a different matter, but it's a free country. And we're all free to peer pressure them into getting an A1 or getting a cloney M4A1 lower built.

It all comes down to which branch you want to follow, As built by Crane or as actually used by folks doing the Lord's Work. For me, I like having both options open, so I plan to get a good M4A1 clone lower to share the issued SPR upper on. That'll probably become a Block I/ OG SOPMOD build in its own right.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:29:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AL1EN] [#16]
From the point the original SPR uppers were issued through Iraq, before the Mod 1 was really even on the scene, guys were dropping SPR uppers on M4A1 lowers. Our very own @Stukas87 has provided anecdotes and even photos showing this. There were also instances of armorers swapping carbine extensions on the A1 lowers as well. Also remember the very first SPR uppers were tested and initially fielded as just uppers for M4/M4A1 lowers.

It's the divider between the issued vs "in the wild" thing, and your build intent. If you prefer "as issued" or built from Crane, then you'd go 100% A1 with A1 or A2 stock. But in reality Mk12 uppers did get traded onto M4A1 lowers as needs dictated it. Stukas I believe cited eye relied as to why he went to the M4A1 lower/CAR stock, because it was a need and that was the fastest way to fix the issue. I can't access Imgur from work but the gallery includes everything from Stuka's OG SPR on an M4A1 lower/CAR stock, to later Mod 1s on M4A1 lowers much later in the GWOT with CTR and SOPMOD stocks. Some are pretty obvious because you can see the UID labels and CQD sling mounts, some you have to look more closely to notice the A2/M4 lower profile. But the anecdotes we've had over the years have all slowly come to light via pictures, if not pics then multiple vetted SF/Marine folks verifying this happened. Hell, I've got an unposted pic from a guy that used to be in out guard detachment who went back to the fleet, and he has a Mod 1 upper on what looks very clearly to be an M4 lower with waffle stock. That was a Marine rifle and I don't think he was Raiders/MARSOC or Recon. We also had some Marines on the FB group indicate there were old Mod 1s in their armory that had M4 lowers on them, and rifle stocks. Consider what the Marines would do if an A1 lower became serviceable, nothing gets wasted. They probably would source another lower from a down or spare rifle.

Not using this as a clone "bandaid" if you will, builder's intent should reveal if they're trying to copy a specific pic, or basing it off an upper they like and using an M4 lower because it was known to happen. Either are totally acceptable IMO. If someone's just being lazy that's a different matter, but it's a free country. And we're all free to peer pressure them into getting an A1 or getting a cloney M4A1 lower built.

It all comes down to which branch you want to follow, As built by Crane or as actually used by folks doing the Lord's Work. For me, I like having both options open, so I plan to get a good M4A1 clone lower to share the issued SPR upper on. That'll probably become a Block I/ OG SOPMOD build in its own right.
View Quote
Dang im going to put mine on an M4 and use my hydramatic for an m16a1 build

only reason i did a A1 hydra for the mk12 is because i wanted to be correct.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Dang im going to put mine on an M4 and and use my hydramatic for an m16a1 build
View All Quotes

Dang im going to put mine on an M4 and and use my hydramatic for an m16a1 build
Better be a proper M4A1 lower then...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Better be a proper M4A1 lower then...
View Quote
got braceman for that!
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#19]

got braceman for that!
View Quote
Where is everybody getting their lowers anodized at nowadays though?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Mod 1s have been seen with M4 lowers and SOPMOD stocks. Probably people that switched out the lowers themselves.

I was just commenting that it's highly irregular to use an A1 lower with a collapsible stock.

Both A1 lowers with A1 stocks and M4A1 lowers with different stocks are good to go
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Where is everybody getting their lowers anodized at nowadays though?
View Quote
I had mine gun koted by adco after it was finished.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:56:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#22]
How about a little AEM5 love on a AK74

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#23]
BOOM. M4 stock on an A1 lower MOD 0

I am going with this is an A1 lower and sopmod on a mod 1, correct me if I am wrong, but not being able to see the front takedown pin contour makes it hard, but the back looks A1

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Davey_Sickboy] [#24]
I've been waiting years to be able to ask this question.....where can I get a good deal on an AEM5 or Ops 12th model can? Preferably knurled, but at this point I really dgaf. And here's some pics of mod1's with M4 lowers to add to the conversation.

Ok well Idk why these 5 pics aren't showing. When I go back to edit, the imgur tags are there. Whateva.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Tons of A1s were built into M4s at Crane.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not an AK guy, but that's pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By chenault:

I'm not an AK guy, but that's pretty sweet.
View Quote
One of the guys asked about doing it. Looking forward to the test fire today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#28]

View Quote
Here is the image you seek........... Iraq 2004
MK12 with M4A1 lower. The A2 butt stock was too long for me not practical in body armor. So I just swapped lowers with my M4A1 when ever I carried the SPR. Had never seen a "Holland" build yet with ACE butt stock even though I was 5th SFG. Not to say they did not exist,  check out all the "great" SOPMOD Block I dribble on it.  

Soldier on the right SPC Fiscus KIA 2005 Iraq RIP
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steinhatchee] [#29]
Originally Posted By Stukas87:
MK12 with M4A1 lower. The A2 butt stock was too long for me not practical in body armor. So I just swapped lowers with my M4A1 when ever I carried the SPR. Had never seen a "Holland" build yet with ACE butt stock even though I was 5th SFG. Not to say they did not exist,  check out all the "great" SOPMOD Block I dribble on it.  
https://i.imgur.com/JVeypAm.jpg
View All Quotes

rifle, is that an atlas bipod in the picture?

soldier
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:40:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#30]
I actually don't remember ...does not look like a Harris Bipod..came in the SPR kit.

SOCOM shit canning the MK12 (or SPR in SF terms) in 2010 I still think is one of the dumbest things done.
That rifle paired with MK262 was a awesome combo.
Most guys that ran them put their M4A1 lowers on them and ran them more like a all around rifle more
than a DMR gun. (With the comfort knowing they could reach out to 700ish with it)

What would have been really forward thinking would have been to just outfit every SF guy with a MK12 upper.

Basically that's almost what's going on now (minus match grade barrel)
Every SF guys gets a M4A1 with two uppers.. shorty MK18 and a 14.5 that most guys try and
squeeze every bit of accuracy out of.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I have to say this suppressor sounds great on a AK74

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Not an AK guy, but I can appreciate what it took to make that combo come together.

Well done.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:17:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I actually don't remember ...does not look like a Harris Bipod..came in the SPR kit.

SOCOM shit canning the MK12 (or SPR in SF terms) in 2010 I still think is one of the dumbest things done.
That rifle paired with MK262 was a awesome combo.
Most guys that ran them put their M4A1 lowers on them and ran them more like a all around rifle more
than a DMR gun. (With the comfort knowing they could reach out to 700ish with it)

What would have been really forward thinking would have been to just outfit every SF guy with a MK12 upper.

Basically that's almost what's going on now (minus match grade barrel)
Every SF guys gets a M4A1 with two uppers.. shorty MK18 and a 14.5 that most guys try and
squeeze every bit of accuracy out of.
View Quote
There was a version of the old Versapods that had feet like the Harris, unless you had traded it for a Harris or something commercial that's probably what it was:

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Careful - you're gonna drive up the prices on the already unobtainium PEQ-4 with that one ;)
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stukas87] [#35]
Originally Posted By mrsaturn7085:

Careful - you're gonna drive up the prices on the already unobtainium PEQ-4 with that one ;)
View Quote
Or good luck trying to find the 6 AA battery Visible Light Illuminator  (AKA worst weapon light ever)

One thing you can still get cheap I bet, cant tell from the picture but I had a SPEC OPS Mamba sling on that rifle.
In fact still have it and that CAR stock in a draw somewhere ...just in case multi-point slings make a come back!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By mrsaturn7085:
View Quote
Looks like a PEQ-2 to me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#37]
That bipod is a versapod
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Epic thread
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#40]
So I was at the Range today to Zero in the Mod 1 Shorty, also brought along the big brother Mod 1.. After So Called Sighting in the Shorty, I swapped to the big brother 18”.. was using the BH 77gr OTM.. as I made the first shot, it went bang like it should, so I go and take another shot NO BANG, look over the ejection side I see the case just sticking out the port door.. But it loaded the Second Round tho.. IF ONLY I took a picture of it to show what the heck I’m really talking about.. It happened for the first 3 rounds after that it Ran/Cycles like I normally would.. Just picture a round in the chamber with the spent casing being pinched by the neck by the BCG.. Sorry if It didn’t make any sense.. I’ll try and take a picture with some dummy rounds.. just curious what was the issue or caused it..

Something like this.. Hope it helps
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SSOUNN:
So I was at the Range today to Zero in the Mod 1 Shorty, also brought along the big brother Mod 1.. After So Called Sighting in the Shorty, I swapped to the big brother 18”.. was using the BH 77gr OTM.. as I made the first shot, it went bang like it should, so I go and take another shot NO BANG, look over the ejection side I see the case just sticking out the port door.. But it loaded the Second Round tho.. IF ONLY I took a picture of it to show what the heck I’m really talking about.. It happened for the first 3 rounds after that it Ran/Cycles like I normally would.. Just picture a round in the chamber with the spent casing being pinched by the neck by the BCG.. Sorry if It didn’t make any sense.. I’ll try and take a picture with some dummy rounds.. just curious what was the issue or caused it.
View Quote
Sounds like failure to eject?  It extracted, but the round didn't eject properly and stayed in the receiver, got caught as the BCG moved back to battery.  Check to make sure your ejector isn't sticking - it can get gummed up, especially since nobody disassembles the bolt when cleaning.

Also, you can throw in another BCG if you've got one to try and narrow it down.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:00:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#42]
Sounds like failure to eject?  It extracted, but the round didn't eject properly and stayed in the receiver, got caught as the BCG moved back to battery.  Check to make sure your ejector isn't sticking - it can get gummed up, especially since nobody disassembles the bolt when cleaning.

View All Quotes
So I was at the Range today to Zero in the Mod 1 Shorty, also brought along the big brother Mod 1.. After So Called Sighting in the Shorty, I swapped to the big brother 18”.. was using the BH 77gr OTM.. as I made the first shot, it went bang like it should, so I go and take another shot NO BANG, look over the ejection side I see the case just sticking out the port door.. But it loaded the Second Round tho.. IF ONLY I took a picture of it to show what the heck I’m really talking about.. It happened for the first 3 rounds after that it Ran/Cycles like I normally would.. Just picture a round in the chamber with the spent casing being pinched by the neck by the BCG.. Sorry if It didn’t make any sense.. I’ll try and take a picture with some dummy rounds.. just curious what was the issue or caused it.

I’ll try a different BCG next time.. I thought the BCG was moving forward TOO FAST loading another round into the chamber but caught the Spent casing at the same time.. using a Magpul Gen 3 PMAG
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#43]

I’ll try a different BCG next time.. I thought the BCG was moving forward TOO FAST loading another round into the chamber but caught the Spent casing at the same time.. using a Magpul Gen 3 PMAG
View Quote
It could be a buffer weight issues as well. Are you using a M16 full auto carrier or a semi auto carrier? What buffer?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SSOUNN] [#44]
It could be a buffer weight issues as well. Are you using a M16 full auto carrier or a semi auto carrier? What buffer?
View All Quotes

I’m usung a BCM Intermediate Buffer System (A5) w/ VLTOR A5H0 Buffer.. and a Full Auto BCG, AND JUST to CLARIFY the Rifle in the picture it NOT the one with the issue.. it’s just the rifle I can get to quick lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Or good luck trying to find the 6 AA battery Visible Light Illuminator  (AKA worst weapon light ever)

One thing you can still get cheap I bet, cant tell from the picture but I had a SPEC OPS Mamba sling on that rifle.
In fact still have it and that CAR stock in a draw somewhere ...just in case multi-point slings make a come back!
View Quote
There is a VLI on ebay.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone in this group have a KAC URX barrel nut wrench I could rent or borrow?  I'd of course pay shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I have one I could "rent" with refund upon returning it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Minuteman1636:

There is a VLI on ebay.
View Quote
I have one.  I thought I was going to build a Mk18 Mod0 but got distracted; but I learned that light is a POS.  Of course, we take it for granted today that taclights are small, powerful and tough; that wasn't always the case!

I was thinking about that the other day, how a 60-lumen taclight was considered pretty good back in the day.  I remember putting a 6P on a rifle and thinking it was the shit.  Makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Out today at the range today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:57:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#50]
Originally Posted By KOBK:
Out today at the range today

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/35735/Resized_20170927_134938-318842.JPG
View Quote

Looks great
Page / 1180
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top