AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:00:11 AM EDT
[#1]
paint it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
My dealer received my AEM5.  Gotta go in and do the paperwork tomorrow and wait like ... a year to be able to enjoy it.  But at least the process is started.  I'm enjoying this rifle quite a bit.  Just need to get it settled in and group it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#3]
So I don't have to read through about 1000 pages what is a suitable modern scope that I can actually find easier. The rifle will more or less be clone correct but not too worried about having a newer scope on it. I was looking at the NXS 2.5-10x42 Compact
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Yumago:
So I don't have to read through about 1000 pages what is a suitable modern scope that I can actually find easier. The rifle will more or less be clone correct but not too worried about having a newer scope on it. I was looking at the NXS 2.5-10x42 Compact
View Quote

Not what this thread's about. There's an Optics subforum if you're looking for optics advice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

Not what this thread's about. There's an Optics subforum if you're looking for optics advice.
View Quote

It is about Mod 0, Mod 1 and Mod H discussion. I am looking at an optic for a Mod 1 and want to discus options for it, but okay.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]

It is about Mod 0, Mod 1 and Mod H discussion. I am looking at an optic for a Mod 1 and want to discus options for it, but okay.
View Quote

From page 1 - Optic: Leupold Mk4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm TS-30A2, M2 turrets with Mk262 BDC, illuminated TMR reticle or NightForce 2.5-10x24 (optionally with NightForce rings)

There's one gun (that I know of) thats been seen with NXS 3.5-15x50 F1, but them are your options for clone correct per the purpose of this thread.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

The point is that they are completely different systems, optics and the rifle. The proper optics for these guns are not modern by any means As they’re nearing 20 years of age. If you want to use a modern optics and don’t care about It being the right optic for these rifles, that’s fine but this thread is of no use to you and the optics sub forum would be the right place for you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Mk6 is you best bet for a newer optic while still being correct.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
1) Have not heard great things about the Mk6 3-18s

2) There's a thread over on the site who shall not be named from like 2011, that contains pics of a late Mod 0 in the armory, on an XM16E1 lower receiver complete with bakelite black A1 grip.

Look for "Unique AR: XM-16 E1 turned SPR (with pics)"
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
yup

https://i.ibb.co/hLCkYGp/IMG-20201006-182029807.jpg

View Quote

Nice setup. What pelican case is this?
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:41:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

Nice setup. What pelican case is this?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2020 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kmcale:

View Quote

Thanks for the quick reply!
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#13]
its old style 1700, mod 0 correct...which is what the mod H needs. foam is different and the case lacls metal.reinforcements at lock holes ans the corner bumpers are different.

:)
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Hi all,

I'm still on a quest to have a Mk12 barrel spun to "real" NATO spec.  I ordered an AEM5 suppressor through HCS recently, and while on the phone with them, I asked if they happened to have the real blueprints on hand for the barrel.  The answer was no, unfortunately.

Is there anyone out there with a real Mk12 "take off" barrel that would be willing to work with me so we can reverse engineer the thing and get proper dimensions blueprinted?  I plan on having Compass Lake Engineering spin the barrel, as I feel they have the best overall barrel manufacturing experience among the "big 3" aftermarket barrel sources.  I will gladly pay a considerable fee and/or provide a piece of rare collateral in return as assurance that you will get your barrel back in the same condition.  My feedback rating is also flawless across several firearms forums, so hopefully that should help ease one's mind as well.  Know I will not rest and will not stop posting in this thread until I get a taker!

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:29:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By wally05:
My dealer received my AEM5.  Gotta go in and do the paperwork tomorrow and wait like ... a year to be able to enjoy it.  But at least the process is started.  I'm enjoying this rifle quite a bit.  Just need to get it settled in and group it.
View Quote

Just filled out the form for my RC2 Today. My AEM5 earlier this year came back under 6 months. Here’s to hoping we both get the same treatment on our latest purchase lol
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Is there any place with AEM5’s in stock currently? I’m having trouble finding one using Google searches.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Is there any place with AEM5’s in stock currently? I’m having trouble finding one using Google searches.
View Quote

Try giving High Caliber Sales a shout, Kevin might have them on hand. I don't believe his website shows inventory though, so shoot him an email
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I ordered an AEM5 last month through HCS and Kevin told me there was a 4-6 week production backlog at that point in time.  I still haven't received word that the suppressor was built or being shipped yet... YMMV
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:14:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wally05] [#19]
Originally Posted By bachn2324:

Just filled out the form for my RC2 Today. My AEM5 earlier this year came back under 6 months. Here’s to hoping we both get the same treatment on our latest purchase lol
View Quote

@bachn2324 Haha, I can only hope.  My FFL did say that they've been seeing about 5-6 months recently.  My RC2 from 2018 took 11.5 months.  :*(  @Paulie771 I bought mine from DSG Arms last week and with the LE / Mil discount, it was extremely well priced.  It wasn't listed as knurled, but I saw it at my dealer and it is knurled.  They are beautiful cans.  It's the first time I've seen one in person.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:05:38 AM EDT
[#20]
my AEM5 came in and I went up yesterday to do a test run with my Mod 0 and H.  Both only get 3 full turns.  I know it's in this thread but I can't find it.  Where/who are you sending your collars to be turned down?  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By unstabl:
my AEM5 came in and I went up yesterday to do a test run with my Mod 0 and H.  Both only get 3 full turns.  I know it's in this thread but I can't find it.  Where/who are you sending your collars to be turned down?  Thanks guys.
View Quote

I run my 0 with 3.5 turns. The Holland shouldn't have any obstruction though, I suggest shimming the brake
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
View Quote

I just bought mine from Capitol Armory last month. I had to sign up for e-mail notifications and be quick with the CC.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 12:23:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stainlineho] [#23]
Originally Posted By unstabl:
View Quote

Order a new collar from Ron.  Measure the diameter of the barrel before and after the step the collar sits on.  Then measure the distance from the bare muzzle to the step.  You need this in inches out to 3 decimal places.  Send him an email, which can be found on his site.  This will ensure you get the recommend 8-11 turns.

Don't be that guy running your can on 3.5 turns.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#24]
Originally Posted By stainlineho:

Order a new collar from Ron.  Measure the diameter of the barrel before and after the step the collar sits on.  Then measure the distance from the bare muzzle to the step.  You need this in inches out to 3 decimal places.  Send him an email, which can be found on his site.  This will ensure you get the recommend 8-11 turns.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Ouch

ETA:
Took a little bit to find, couldn't remember where I saw it
The contract prints were too short, the Mod 1 barely aleviated this problem but the original SPR rifles get about 2.5-3 turns with the cans.

So there's that. 3.5 turns may be an unpopular number of turns, but for the sake of clone accuracy here...long collar and the PRi fsgb, thats as good as it gets with a fair majority of mk12/ops profiled barrels on the market. You can shim the brake, pull the distance out a bit more that way, but unless you run a short collar or trim the absolute shit out of that long collar, which will be nearly the same length as the short when finished (roughly 200 thou longer per my measurements with a CLE barrel)...you'll never hit that 8-11.

As for the Holland, I don't know why you would only be getting 3, is it certainly an AE collar? What barrel is it? Is the brake timed proper?
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#25]
My issued SPR upper got about 3 turns, same with about every guy I know that has had one. Issued Mod 1s a couple more turns.

Issued Holland on the other hand swallows the can, ludicrous amount of turns. I think like 8 or more. No issues there either.

Have not yet had an instance of can backing off with only 2-3 turns, haven't blown my endcap out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#26]
My Mod1 with OG barrel gets 3.5 turns.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#28]
https://i.imgur.com/Ni8XJyK.jpg
View Quote

I hope that's an unobtainium part in there
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#29]

I hope that's an unobtainium part in there
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#31]
https://i.imgur.com/yzB0EK7.jpg
View Quote

God damn. The jealousy i feel right now cannot be put into words
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I can retire now.

Needs coating whenever I can get that done and get the right coating done to match the faint rose-gold hue of the other issued handles I have seen.

I need 2x more old style side rails, with the screws between the lugs.

Need a knurled AEM5 with SN off the case.

Need foam for the 5th Group case.

Need the Aimpoint, mount, and spacer.

That's it. Got the unicorn cleaning rod, got a cleaning kit from early 2000s, got a mildot master.

Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:26:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPshooter1] [#33]

God damn. The jealousy i feel right now cannot be put into words
View Quote
No shit!  On the other hand, I don't think I want to know what lance had to do to get his hands on a "welded hotdog."  

I must say, I admire anyone who has the dedication and focus to track down a rare piece like this just for the sake of "clone correctness."  Some call it a sick obsession.  I call it having one's priorities in order. :)
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I can retire now.

Needs coating whenever I can get that done and get the right coating done to match the faint rose-gold hue of the other issued handles I have seen.
View Quote
Do you know if these "other issued handles" were anodized or coated?  Would love to see an example pic!
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By CPshooter1:
No shit!  On the other hand, I don't think I want to know what lance had to do to get his hands on a "welded hotdog."  

I must say, I admire anyone who has the dedication and focus to track down a rare piece like this just for the sake of "clone correctness."  Some call it a sick obsession.  I call it having one's priorities in order. :)
View Quote

I'd say he got a great great deal on it. Glad you like it, homie and glad I could help you out.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 1:20:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Nutro:

I'd say he got a great great deal on it. Glad you like it, homie and glad I could help you out.
View Quote

@Nutro I appreciate you going through with it, and hope to hook you guys up in the future when I can.

As to coatings, NP3 or some early iteration of it was experimented with on the SPR prototypes (the whole upper, charging handle, and possibly the BCG were coated), and every early SPR I've seen has the NP3 coated charging handles on them. I actually called PRI today to verify that was the case. Sometime later it seems NP3 changed, as I swear the issued and prototype NP3 coatings have a gold or rose gold hue to them. In contrast, current NP3 is more like a polished nickel like you'd see on a handgun, or more gunmetal even. PRI sent me a pic of an original issued SPR charging handle they still have next to a gasbuster they had but never released which was silver/gray.

I've found places that do NP3 but the color just doesn't match my expectations from what I am seeing. At one point the Fortis Hammer charging handle was offered in some "other" nickel teflon finish that allegedly wasn't NP3, and it seems to take on that color that I'm looking for. But, if they went through Robar, Robar is dead so who knows. WMD isn't doing customer coating due to COVID so can't really explore their version of nickel teflon. It's the next ongoing quest to resurrect some process or coating from 2000-2001 that has long since changed, just like we did with KG's original batch of their FDE color that turned orange/pinkish hued as seen on usmcsgt0331 and ObiWang's uppers, the Sara Jane rifle, etc.

I'd hate to have to resort to Cerakote, but I know Ankratz's work is second to none when it comes to various colors and finishes, as exemplified by his tanodized and DD brown work that you really have to know what to look for to tell it from the real thing.

The other issue, coating will probably mean stripping the anodizing, which is not something I want to happen more than once. It's risky to have anything done at this point so I will be proceeding very carefully and only if I'm 100% satisfied that I will achieve what I want with it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Recommended amount of engagement is 6-8 turns. If you are more than 10 the end of the brake gets too close to the first baffle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:

Recommended amount of engagement is 6-8 turns. If you are more than 10 the end of the brake gets too close to the first baffle.
View Quote

Not to mention when you start building up carbon, you'll be kissing that first baffle every time. I get 7 turns on my HCS barrel and some days it feels like it touches
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I have two uppers for a Mod 1 build and I'd like to see which everyone thinks is more correct. I have a "raised C" split-A upper like the picture below (gratuitously borrowed from a member selling a similar upper in the EE) and a "stamped C" Cerro forge keyhole upper. My Mod 0 will already be using a "raised C" AF upper so that's spoken for. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By mdavis:
I have two uppers for a Mod 1 build and I'd like to see which everyone thinks is more correct. I have a "raised C" split-A upper like the picture below (gratuitously borrowed from a member selling a similar upper in the EE) and a "stamped C" Cerro forge keyhole upper. My Mod 0 will already be using a "raised C" AF upper so that's spoken for. Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/19Zq7Tv.jpg
View Quote

Stamped C Cerro is what I went with for the Mod 1. I think I remember seeing a photo of a fair bit of them assembled with Cerro's, though I have no idea if that was contract or for commercial market.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:

Mk6 is you best bet for a newer optic while still being correct.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316069/B6E9B900-D5A6-48F2-A641-24A5472A650E_jpe-1632331.JPG
View Quote

+1

It is light years ahead of any of the original issue optics without being much larger or heavier. I was a big fan of mine and ended up using it 90% of the time over Vari X III tacticals, TS30s, and Mark 4s.  Reticle choice is also great if you like trees. Certainly crosses the line though if you are an originalist.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 4:46:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLAudio] [#42]
Originally Posted By mdavis:

https://i.imgur.com/19Zq7Tv.jpg
View Quote

I built my mod 1 upper with the same new old stock raised C/split A upper.

I like using odds and ends uppers for clone builds. That upper is from the late 90's/early 2k time frame, its good to go
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#43]
SNIP

I'd hate to have to resort to Cerakote, but I know Ankratz's work is second to none when it comes to various colors and finishes, as exemplified by his tanodized and DD brown work that you really have to know what to look for to tell it from the real thing.

The other issue, coating will probably mean stripping the anodizing, which is not something I want to happen more than once. It's risky to have anything done at this point so I will be proceeding very carefully and only if I'm 100% satisfied that I will achieve what I want with it.
View Quote

Maybe look at a PVD finish in the tone/hue you want. Richter Precision in Easton PA does an excellent job with varying finishes. They'll only accept work from an FFL, and they have a minimum order quantity, but it might be worth exploring something like their Champagne Richkote finish.
Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll see what I come up with this weekend when I get some free time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:34:44 PM EDT
[#45]
There was a guy on here once turning out faux AEM5s but can not find anything using the search. Does anybody remember the username? I'm curious if it's possible to make one into a form 1 can.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By hamrad:
There was a guy on here once turning out faux AEM5s but can not find anything using the search. Does anybody remember the username? I'm curious if it's possible to make one into a form 1 can.
View Quote

@HARMS4X though I don't know if he still posts much/at all anymore.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#47]

@Nutro I appreciate you going through with it, and hope to hook you guys up in the future when I can.

As to coatings, NP3 or some early iteration of it was experimented with on the SPR prototypes (the whole upper, charging handle, and possibly the BCG were coated), and every early SPR I've seen has the NP3 coated charging handles on them. I actually called PRI today to verify that was the case. Sometime later it seems NP3 changed, as I swear the issued and prototype NP3 coatings have a gold or rose gold hue to them. In contrast, current NP3 is more like a polished nickel like you'd see on a handgun, or more gunmetal even. PRI sent me a pic of an original issued SPR charging handle they still have next to a gasbuster they had but never released which was silver/gray.

I've found places that do NP3 but the color just doesn't match my expectations from what I am seeing. At one point the Fortis Hammer charging handle was offered in some "other" nickel teflon finish that allegedly wasn't NP3, and it seems to take on that color that I'm looking for. But, if they went through Robar, Robar is dead so who knows. WMD isn't doing customer coating due to COVID so can't really explore their version of nickel teflon. It's the next ongoing quest to resurrect some process or coating from 2000-2001 that has long since changed, just like we did with KG's original batch of their FDE color that turned orange/pinkish hued as seen on usmcsgt0331 and ObiWang's uppers, the Sara Jane rifle, etc.

View Quote
Excellent post and info.  Thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#48]
So I followed up and emailed the actual company that owns the NP3 process. Per their COO who's been there 30 years, NP3 never changed really as far as formulations, but he did indicate that the golden hue can show up based on heat. I'm not sure if that's heat during coating, or heat after coating like a bake process, or what. Either way, I'm going to see if he has any more input on particularly where in the process I could have someone introduce enough heat to impact the coloration.

If I can't, I'm trying to see if Fortis would forward my handle to the guys that did their charging handles a few years back that were a similar finish with a rose gold hint to it.

I'm not having anything done until this process is 100% figured out. There's too few early patent pending handles for me to risk one getting ruined in the stripping process, or if I hate the finish and am permanently stuck with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:I'm not having anything done until this process is 100% figured out. There's too few early patent pending handles for me to risk one getting ruined in the stripping process, or if I hate the finish and am permanently stuck with it.
View Quote
Don't blame you one bit.  Might be worth buying other random parts made of the same aluminum just to sacrifice for testing!  Then, once you know the process has been perfected on those other parts, you can go for it on your CH without sweating it too much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Can’t remember if I posted this or not. Finished this up back in August. Need to get more paint so I can finish the lower. Waiting on the AEM5 and a laser still.

Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top