Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 10:03:43 AM EDT
Well my build has come down to this...

Larue Tactical Stealth 18" or 20" complete upper

BCM MK12 Mod 0-Bravo

Noveske 18" SPR 5.56

Talon Arms 18" WOA SPR Upper w/ BCM BCG and CH.

So what would you choose out of these 4?

ETA:  I am also thinking of putting a can on one of these if that makes a difference in consideration.

ETA:  Purchase the Noveske 18" SPR w/ the intermediate gas system.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I really have come to love the 18" midlength's (kind of a best of all the barrel/gas length combo's to me).

I voted for the Larue ... but it was really a 50/50 split for me on the Noveske and Larue.

But hey .. it's your rifle .. buy what makes you happy.

ETA replaced rifle with barrel
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as the Larue upper goes, am I correct that the only thing I would be getting out of the 20" barrel vs the 18" is a little more FPS?

Are there really any reasons to go with a 20" over an 18"?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you can't really go wrong with anything on that list can you?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well you can't really go wrong with anything on that list can you?

Well true but I only get one so I want to make the correct decision.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As far as the Larue upper goes, am I correct that the only thing I would be getting out of the 20" barrel vs the 18" is a little more FPS?

IMO, no.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:07:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yes ... a little more muzzle velocity.

and no ... that's why I picked the Larue 18" from the list but like I said I would be hard pressed to make the choice between the Noveske and Larue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and no ... that's why I picked the Larue 18" from the list but like I said I would be hard pressed to make the choice between the Noveske and Larue.

I'm in the same boat.  I want them all but can only afford one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat.  I want them all but can only afford one.

I feel your pain
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
for an 18 or 20" I would go with a rifle length gas system. (and I have) larue uses mid for their 18" gas so if you want 18 I would skip larue. I have the WOA SS 18" rifle length barrel on my mega build and love it. so smooth shooting.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Larue 18"
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
for an 18 or 20" I would go with a rifle length gas system. (and I have) larue uses mid for their 18" gas so if you want 18 I would skip larue. I have the WOA SS 18" rifle length barrel on my mega build and love it. so smooth shooting.

I think I am going with the Noveske SPR from DSG Arms.  The price will be almost exactly the same as the Larue Stealth and I have heard so many good things about the intermediate gas system and am looking forward to trying it out.  

Not to mention the fact that they are doing the free lower with a purchase of an upper right now.  This of course may be a bad thing since now I will have to start a new build again.  

ETA:  Also like that the Noveske comes with a Vortex flash hider
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Noveske would be the one I would buy
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Noveske is the one I just purchased.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you will be pleased with your choice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you will be pleased with your choice.

So do I.  Now I just need to choose optics and possibly a can for this thing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#16]
GOOD CHOICE on the Noveske 18" SPR.  I own one of them, as well as a Larue Stealth 16".  Both uppers are awesome.  Shooting from the bench, both feel the same.  Accuracy on both are outstanding.  The Noveske is more consistent than the Stealth group to group.  However, the Stealth will punch super tight groups, but always with a flyer on a 5 shot string.  It's interesting that the flyer is not always the first shot.  I'll have a great one hole string going, then wham, an 1.25" group at 100 yds.  At first I was thinking that if I can find the right load for the stealth, it will be the better tack driver of the two based on eliminating the flyer.  But now I think that about the 18" SPR.  If I find the right load, it will tighten up the groups and do it more consistently.

I'm also told me that because the SPR uses an "intermediate length" gas tube, the Noveske should shoot smoother than the Stealth, which I have found to be true.  It's subtle, but the followup sight picture is a little easier to acquire on the Noveske than the Stealth.  All that being said, I am happy with both of mine.  I usually take both to the range because I'm still trying to figure out which one I like better!!!  That's half the fun.

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz132/BetterDaze_/Noveske-Stealth.jpg
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome choice!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome choice!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

why not 16"?  (i am asking..  as far as i understand 18" does not offer more accuracy over 16".. again just more FPS)..
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I`ll take the FPS

since its a MR to LR rifle

I have no use for 16inch barrels
But thats ME
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You lucky ass!!
Im jealous big time

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I`ll take the FPS

since its a MR to LR rifle

I have no use for 16inch barrels
But thats ME

This is pretty much it.

I have a 14.5" and now an 18"

I am also working on an 11.5" so basically I will have all the bases covered.  I do believe from 18" - 20" that the added length and weight isn't worth the FPS gain for a 5.56 rifle.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top