Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2010 9:13:54 PM EDT
So I had a copy of Troy Industries new Calalog on my coffee table today, and it has an awesome cover picture of some soldiers holding M-16/AR-15s (its fuckin bad ass)...................So my father in law picks up the booklet and says......"don't tell me you actually are going to buy one of these things?" (by the way, my father in law is THE most conservitive republican I have EVER met, he just thinks the EBR is actually EVIL)........So, I proceed to say.  "Yeah, you know i'm into techlology, and I l kind of compare the AR to a machine, and I like mechanics/physics.   Also, the history of the rifle is pretty interesting considering it has been through several wars, and still in service................................I quit, I lost the battle, I didn't win.  He wasn't buying it.  So, if I can't budge a DIE HARD conservitive, HOW CAN I HOPE TO HOLD A DISCUSSION WITH A LIBERAL.....................when that day comes??

what do I say to defend the "evil black rifle?"  

WHAT DID TED NUGENT SAY TO JIM ZUMBO when all of that stuff went down in 07????????
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTMTGD

(in Before the move to General discussions)
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I had a copy of Troy Industries new Calalog on my coffee table today, and it has an awesome cover picture of some soldiers holding M-16/AR-15s (its fuckin bad ass)...................So my father in law picks up the booklet and says......"don't tell me you actually are going to buy one of these things?" (by the way, my father in law is THE most conservitive republican I have EVER met, he just thinks the EBR is actually EVIL)........So, I proceed to say.  "Yeah, you know i'm into techlology, and I l kind of compare the AR to a machine, and I like mechanics/physics.   Also, the history of the rifle is pretty interesting considering it has been through several wars, and still in service................................I quit, I lost the battle, I didn't win.  He wasn't buying it.  So, if I can't budge a DIE HARD conservitive, HOW CAN I HOPE TO HOLD A DISCUSSION WITH A LIBERAL.....................when that day comes??

WHAT DID TED NUGENT SAY TO JIM ZUMBO when all of that stuff went down in 07????????

in before the move as well, but until then.....

ask'em about his hobbies, then proceed to tell him how you think the things he finds interesting are evil... same difference....
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 9:46:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, there's no set thing. Compared to most here, I am pretty "liberal." I have an EBR and will be building more. Just chalk it up to "Life ain't always what you expect it to be . . ."
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not your job or duty to talk people into digging EBRS.  It doesn't work well so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 11:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
What you have to understand about a situation like this is his opinion of ARs isn't based on logic or reasoning, thus any attempt to sway him with such will fail.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of it is simply this: It's what our forefathers would have wanted.  Having our nations assault rifle in your safe is how one prevents a government from becoming too large and powerful.  It was one of the checks and balances that was put into place.

Some liberals would argue that they weren't talking about assault rifle with high capacity mags, they were talking about muzzle-loaders.  And that's kinda true, they were.  They were talking about keeping the citizens armed with the state-of-the-art service rifle of the United States military; which was the muzzle-loader then and the AR family now.

If you don't buy into this stuff about our history like I do, just tell him you're getting one because you want one.  I can't for the life of figure out why anyone would want a high-maintenance, low dependability vehicle from Germany, but for some reason people spend money on Mercedes and Beamers all the time.  And that's their choice and their right to do it, damn what I think.  Get what makes you happy
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've been there, with the liberals and all. 1st of all, try not to bring it up just out of avoiding a problem. When you have no way out you say," If you want to be a slave then thats your buisness, but that's not me". If they can't accept that that's you, it's not your problem. You don't have to justify exercizing constitutional rights to anyone. No matter who they are. In fact you don't have to justify your decisions as a man to anyone, as long as you know they are righteous. As owning firearms in a country that has "the right to keep and bear arms" as a second ammendment is. BD
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#8]
IN...................

GOD BLESS UNCLE TED.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ask'em about his hobbies, then proceed to tell him how you think the things he finds interesting are evil... same difference....

This!
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 1:14:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IN...................

GOD BLESS UNCLE TED.

In before the lock!
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 3:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Tell him why do people need a Corvette that goes 150mph. Thats why i want a AR. Because I want one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 3:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I would ask him what exactly makes it evil?  Could it be that it is all black, well most are.  Is it because it has a high capacity magazine?  People just don't like it because it is semi auto?  Tell him that it is not the gun that is evil, but what  lurks in a man that is evil.  

Proceed to tell him about how easy it is to take apart and service the weapon,  how it can be switched from one upper to another.  You can take one upper and do some informal target shooting,  put on a dedicated .22 upper and do more plinking, and then switch to a more precision upper with quality glass and proceed to shoot small groups at distant targets.  It is a very versatile platform.  Heck, if he likes to hunt, probably not from your description, he could get an upper in just about any caliber for the game at hand.

It probably won't change his mind.  My in-laws don't really care for my AR either but they know that I am responsible and take care of my wife and kids.  I always stress safety especially when kids are around. Deep down they probably wish they had such a kick ass weapon to take care of business if the SHTF.  Who am I kidding?  The best way to sway your Father-in-law might be to take him out shooting sometime especially with some .22 rounds and just do some shooting.  Not fast shooting but slow and aimed at some targets and challenge him to out shoot you.  I know my father-in-law likes to shoot .22 rifles.  Next time he comes to visit might have to get the AR out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:01:17 AM EDT
[#13]
My father served in Korea (2 purple hearts) and Vietnam w/ the USMC. He retired after 20 years in 1971. He was nuetral up to that point on the M16 but when pressed once said after the ammo and cleaning issues were straightened out it was an excellent rifle. He was refering to the year 1971. He later really enjoyed my 1st Colt SP-1 and later my Colt NM HBAR we custom built together. He constantly refered to the man not the rifle and said when it came down to round count the AR could run just as long or longer than a M-1 Garand or carbine. He also was a fan of the M-14 but said it was just 2 heavy. This was a man that shot Garands and Carbines picked up off the field of battle in Korea and shot till they were locked up or dry on ammo. He walked a line / trench doing this until he was wounded in combat on 26 October 1952 and sent to Japan to heal up. He went back for more on 23 November 1952 then was wounded again on 19 December 1952 and sent stateside . I tended to take him for his word and found his honesty on our beloved black rifle interesting. Tell your father-in law its the greatest and then just sit back, gloat a little and be confident but respectful. It should be interesting as his mnd is already set.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#14]
On another note i cant remember what exactly was said between Zumbo and Nugent but if I remember right Zumbo stuck his foot in his mouth at one point. I remember the magazine he was writing for at the time got a shit load of heat from the NRA and gun owners in general. He was basicaly saying the Ar was bad and no one needed to own one / they have no sporting use. He got roasted over it. I believe it forced his writing career for that particular magazine into early retirment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What you have to understand about a situation like this is his opinion of ARs isn't based on logic or reasoning, thus any attempt to sway him with such will fail.

Exactly.  Get your AR, enjoy it and when he wants to shoot it tell him too damn bad!
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Its your Father in law, so you married his daughter, and might have already, or expect to have his grandkids in the future?  "Do you want me to defend their life and honor against a home invasion with a handy, quick handling semi-auto, or with a baseball bat?"    

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:47:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I had a copy of Troy Industries new Calalog on my coffee table today, and it has an awesome cover picture of some soldiers holding M-16/AR-15s (its fuckin bad ass)...................So my father in law picks up the booklet and says......"don't tell me you actually are going to buy one of these things?"

You should have looked him in the eye, dead pan, and said "Don't be silly, why the hell would I buy one....I plan on buying at least two."

If he says why would you need one, you simply reply "Because I am an American and I have a God given right to buy one if I choose to."  
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:06:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tell the old man to suck your balls.  Buy what the fuck you want and be done with it.  If your FIL
doesn't like it, tough shit.  Oh, and when you DO get it invite him shooting and whip it out (the AR, that is)...
just make sure you have a camera to record the utter horror in his eyes.

Honestly, at this point...I don't give a rats ass what other people think about my firearms or purchases....

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:41:41 AM EDT
[#19]
in on 1

Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell the old man to suck your balls.  Buy what the fuck you want and be done with it.  If your FIL
doesn't like it, tough shit.  Oh, and when you DO get it invite him shooting and whip it out (the AR, that is)...

Honestly, at this point...I don't give a rats ass what other people think about my firearms or purchases....

i wouldn't say that to just any old Joe Public but he's your FIL not the Daily News reporter, go for it! i don't even bother explaining AR's to the *general* public anymore. if after a few minutes they're not interested in them i don't waste my time.

would he give you shit over a Garand? what about an M14 (M1A)? if you want to try it do this... "hey i was thinking about getting a Garand. what do y think?" show him a pic of one and talk to him about them a bit. if he is positive about it then say "well, when the Garand was updated they switched to the M14 and well i do like the look and design and the .308 is cheap and easy to find." show him a pic of a plain, wood stock, 10 round mag M14 (springfield standard M1A). if you still have his interest move forward if you've lost him get up and go get a beer, don't come back. if he's still positive say "well the soldiers have been using the M14's again but they made a few changes to them to suit their needs. i really like the way it looks, not only that but it's extremely functional." show him a pic of the Sage EBR. pic  after all of that if he's still with you make the jump to AR's if he's pulled the plug tell him he's a commie and go get drunk.

seriously, there's no cure for ignorant and that's just what this is. he refuses to recognise the usefulness of an item, could be anything but this one is a gun. he's blind to the possibility that this particular item is more popular than the item that he likes or even that this item is better than the one that he likes. i'm sure you would get the same from him if you came in with an AK. ignorance and fear are pert of what's killing us as a nation.... he's part of it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea what he said !!!  IBTL !!!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#21]
You could ask him if he knows why the Japanese never put boots on the ground in the U.S. during WWII, because their leader said,"there would be a gun behind every blade of grass".       You could ask him why everyman in  Switzerland army brings his rifle home.      

Here is my favorite question, but give it a preface first.   Start off by asking him if he thinks that slavery in America was one of the worst things in our history, if it was cruel and terrible and almost unforgivable.   Most everyone will definitely agree.  Then ask him if he thinks its terrible that blacks where deemed sub-human and therefore not  entitled to their Constitutional rights.   Then ask him if every slave had one of these(guns) would they still have been slaves?  Look him in the eye and ask him if he would have worked under a taskmaster, watched his wife raped, and his kids sold off to far away places if he had one of these(gun)  in his closet?

God Bless Uncle Ted!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:51:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like your style.

That said, my FIL is a raging liberal.  He has no clue that I own EBRs.  In-laws, even blood relatives, are potential threats to my firearms/ammo if they're of the wrong political viewpoint.  I don't tell anyone that doesn't need to know what I have in the safe.  State/Fed passes laws regarding weaponry and I'm sure some of these libtard asshats would be chomping at the bit to call the authorities.  Not to get me in trouble, but to make sure that their loved ones are in compliance
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:56:10 AM EDT
[#23]
If he really is conservative, that means he is both logical and intellectually honest.  No need to play games with him, just tell him that the 2nd Amendment gives you the right to own and use effective weapons.  The M16/M4 family has been in use by our troops for decades, so you consider it effective.

Ask him why he thinks they are bad.  Then correct his misconceptions one by one.  If he thinks these are "bullet spraying cop killers," you might explain to him that these guns have far less power than most deer hunting rifles, and that they don't shoot any faster than any other semi-auto gun.  Unless he is anti-gun in general, I think he will come around.

Like I said, don't insult him by trying to beat around the bush, just say it.  Keep the conversation professional and.  He is not yet ready to feel the level of enthusiasm most of us have for guns.  If he senses THAT, then he will think you are insane and that these rifles are evil and have messed you up mentally.  We call them EBRs here, don't call them EBRs in front of him.

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:58:14 AM EDT
[#24]
when i lived in Vidalia Ga, which is rural farm country i got alot of what you are running into with the FIL. why do you need that? is it legal? are the army and police only suppose to have those? you can hunt with that! i got this all the time, what i did was not attack the fud mentallity but the ignorance behind the comments. almost everbody there has semi-automatic 22lr rifle so i started there. i pointed out that a ruger10/22 and marlin model 60 are basically the same, they just don't look "evil". both have high capacity of ammo, both have a simple safety, NOT a selector switch like an assualt rifle would have. most everybody i talked with and took shooting was a believer, only the old fuds can't be convienced. i assembled several rifles while living there for guys i worked with, several more where starting to buy parts, lowers, etc.... ! even a die hard deer hunter borrowed my Colt M4 and killed a spike with it , arguement over. just talk to your FIL with respect, stand your ground, and buy/build what you want. sometimes people have to actually have the "myths" about black rifles proven wrong to them. what makes it hard is when the very conservative, republican type doesn't see that the government is a threat and that you actually might have to have that type rifle of firearm to protect liberty and yourself . good luck
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I've told hoplophobs that its the core of the 2A, back then it was whatever was available (Flintlock), today its whatever is available, whether it be M-1A1, AR, AK, Glock, 1911, whtever.  Gun phobes don't get it because they either don't understand, don't want to understand, or are what I have said, have a phobia or a fear of them.  I've convinced and converted a few, it just takes logical reasoning and many times a trip to the range for them to realize that there is nothing to fear, respect yes, but not fear.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 7:48:11 AM EDT
[#26]
quoted from another site:

"Why do you need a machine gun?"

"It isn't a machine gun. It works just like any other hunting rifle."

"Well, what is that big clip for?"

"It isn't a clip. It is a magazine."

"Whatever. Why do you need it?"

"It holds the ammo, like a gas tank holds fuel."

"How many rounds does it hold?"

"30."

"A-ha! See? What the hell do you need 30 rounds for? Can't you just use 5?"

"What do you drive?"

"I drive a Chevy Tahoe."

"How big is your gas tank?"

"It holds 30 gallons."

"What the hell do you need 30 gallons for? Can't you just use 5?"

"..."

"That's what I thought. Now, $%^@ off."

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#27]
It just takes time.  My father had the same viewpoint.  He is an avid outdoorsman and hunts and fishes more then anyone I know.  He has many guns and lots of toys.  When I got into ARs a few years ago...he thought I was crazy.  Couldn't understand why a person would own one, etc. etc.  He had this mentality for a few years.  

However, this past winter.  He started coyote hunting with some guys and they all used ARs.  He borrowed one from one of the guys he hunts with one day and long story short...must have seen the light.  Next thing I know, I get a call from him asking if he could "borrow" one of mine.  I have several so after giving him some of his own medicine, I gave him one and told him to keep it as long as he needed it.  He loves ARs now and I am in the process of building one of his own.  Now when he comes over to my house, he always wants to talk ARs and accessories...BRD is contagious it just takes time sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like a "Fudd"
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You should have countered with, "you aren't really an anti-gun liberal, are you? Did you secretly vote for Obama, Dad?"
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#31]
This might seem like a minor detail but 'impressions' are important. I started calling mine "Carbines".

Far less evil sounding than 'AR-15' to those with a problem. And certainly better than "Assault Rifle"....
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#32]
The best thing to do is to take him out shooting one day.  I know it doesn't help for the general public (anti-gunners) but it's perfect since he's related. All it takes is a few shots and he'll be hooked. I remember, my first experience with black guns,  I refused to shoot one. I figured I already owned enough guns.  My buddies finally talked me into trying it and the rest is history. These things are contagious
Yak
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#33]
My Mom used to be like that. I remember a couple times she said, "Why do you have rifles like that, you don't need them.", or something to that effect. I would simply reply, "Because I want them." & she would leave it there because she knew I wouldn't back down.

But when she started to have a Coyote problem, she all of the sudden changed her tune & hasn't confronted me since.

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#34]
It only goes to show that there are pro gun controllers on both sides.  It is a safe statement to say way more "liberals" than "conservatives" are for it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

A lot of it is simply this: It's what our forefathers would have wanted. Having our nations assault rifle in your safe is how one prevents a government from becoming too large and powerful. It was one of the checks and balances that was put into place.

Some liberals would argue that they weren't talking about assault rifle with high capacity mags, they were talking about muzzle-loaders. And that's kinda true, they were. They were talking about keeping the citizens armed with the state-of-the-art service rifle of the United States military; which was the muzzle-loader then and the AR family now.

If you don't buy into this stuff about our history like I do, just tell him you're getting one because you want one. I can't for the life of figure out why anyone would want a high-maintenance, low dependability vehicle from Germany, but for some reason people spend money on Mercedes and Beamers all the time. And that's their choice and their right to do it, damn what I think. Get what makes you happy

this is my favorite post ever on AR15.com

thank you for speaking exactly what i think... except ricers are so much worse than beamers! :P either way, i went with Ford ;)

-Joe

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you everyone for your input.  I knew I could get enough real answers to defend these rifles.  There was more than enough input for me to fight the liberals.

THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:40:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Wrong forum.

But... there are more liberals who own AR-15's than you'd be lead to believe.

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Secretly your father inlaw wants you to talk him into an AR
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Take him out side.... let him shoot one... if he dont smile, and understand, then its too late, I like to use examples my self when trying to explain why I "need" or want the evil black rifle.. Tell him to go cut down a tree with a hand saw, then let him use a chain saw, same deal. The AR-15 type rifle is nothing more then modern technology applied to Firearms.. We went from muzzle loaders, the the invention of the cartrige and breech loaders, then came the bolt, lever pump ect, its just in our nature to impove, 100 years from now the AR will just be a collectors peice and obsolete. The statement that a gun is evil makes me laugh, no matter what ppl will find a way to harm each other, if you were to take all guns away, stabbings would go up, ok, take guns and knives away, blunt force trama, poisonings ect.. will go up.. its a poor carpenter who blames his tools. and lets face it, a gun is nothing more then a long distance drill, think about it. So dose that mean my dewalt hammer drill could have evil tendincies?? its got a pistol grip? I live in New York so the chances are it is but thats a diff story... Everyone has a right to there opinion, and nothing is worse then someone trying to force there opinion down your throat... Just offer to let him shoot one, all the talkin in the world wont do anything compared letting him pull the trigger... If he still dont get it then whats the point?? ill bet ya 100 bucks though if shit really hits the fan, that evil rifle wont look so evil to him...
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Cool story, Bro?
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Get a divorce and get rid of him. Sooner or later his twisted views will filter through his daughter and cause you more problems.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#42]
You have to understand father in laws, they know you’re banging their little girl and that generally pisses them off.  So that might be part of the problem.

Otherwise, he isn’t really a conservative or a constitutionalist, in which case explain you’re reasoning but beyond that you don’t have an obligation to try to convert him.

One of the reasons I own and love ARs is because they piss so many people off.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top