Page / 89
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 11:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#2]

Link Posted: 8/18/2021 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
W000004, and 19 are in the BSTB 94TH BSB at polk. i had pics of them...A2 carry handle, colt gray upper/lower, gooseneck and comp m2 on em. was amazing.

they look right. that petina.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
W000004, and 19 are in the BSTB 94TH BSB at polk. i had pics of them...A2 carry handle, colt gray upper/lower, gooseneck and comp m2 on em. was amazing.

View Quote

Heard less than a 1000 of the M4 had fixed carrying handle

CD
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Colt 6920 with a Colt SOCOM barrel and set up as a Block 1/MWS clone with an RMR on a T.Rex mount as an addition.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

@HaveBlue83 those pics would be the Holy Grail of M4 builds. I have a 4 marked upper and AH forging I am using for the build. But if they are Cerro forge like 489, I am going to need to correct the lower.

@Combat_Diver - also heard the first 1000 M4s were fixed handle, but none have ever been documented and if those pics can be posted, we will have greater certainty about that claim.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HenryKnoxFineBooks:

@HaveBlue83 those pics would be the Holy Grail of M4 builds. I have a 4 marked upper and AH forging I am using for the build. But if they are Cerro forge like 489, I am going to need to correct the lower.

@Combat_Diver - also heard the first 1000 M4s were fixed handle, but none have ever been documented and if those pics can be posted, we will have greater certainty about that claim.
View Quote

Next time I am at my friend's house, i will ask to take a picture of his picture with a fixed carry handle M4. He was issued it in 97 at Fort Hood because he was a driver for some general.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks - there would be a great deal of interest in it as to hown close it was to the late XM4s, so as much detail as possible would be helpful.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 1:19:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting started on my M4A1 Block 1 build, still waiting for parts to arrive.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrucksAndGuns] [#10]
Both of these have 14.5" SOCOM profile barrels with pin and weld extended flash hiders.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks - there would be a great deal of interest in it as to hown close it was to the late XM4s, so as much detail as possible would be helpful.
View Quote

He said no, he doesn't want his personal picture floating around the internet.

But, he was of some kind of help hopefully. He said fixed carry handle A2 upper, CAR stock, and double heat shield handguards. Not sure if that helps you though. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jonny1904:

But, he was of some kind of help hopefully. He said fixed carry handle A2 upper, CAR stock, and double heat shield handguards. Not sure if that helps you though. Sorry.
View Quote

Appreciate the effort, but that really is already what many of us we assume. A pic would hopefully let us verify what are really at this point just assumptions. The photos we have of early XM4s do not have any marking over the gas tube entrance. We are wanting to know at what point the 4 marking appeared, and if it appeared on the early M4, or did it have a m4 marking with fixed handle. Some prople who said they were issued M4s with fixed handle, actually carried civilian model 727s that the Army procured in the early 1990s. Without good pics, we really are not sure it is a US Property marked M4 with fixed handle. Now that time has passed, and those weapons have been rebuilt at least once, a photo of an as issued M4 with fixed handle from the 1990s is really valuable for the historical record.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Appreciate the effort, but that really is already what many of us we assume. A pic would hopefully let us verify what are really at this point just assumptions. The photos we have of early XM4s do not have any marking over the gas tube entrance. We are wanting to know at what point the 4 marking appeared, and if it appeared on the early M4, or did it have a m4 marking with fixed handle. Some prople who said they were issued M4s with fixed handle, actually carried civilian model 727s that the Army procured in the early 1990s. Without good pics, we really are not sure it is a US Property marked M4 with fixed handle. Now that time has passed, and those weapons have been rebuilt at least once, a photo of an as issued M4 with fixed handle from the 1990s is really valuable for the historical record.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

He said if it helps, the selector was Safe, Semi, and Burst and was marked XM4 Carbine.

Surely there had to be a manifest from Colt, sending some to Fort Hood to confirm?
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:04:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HenryKnoxFineBooks] [#14]

He said if it helps, the selector was Safe, Semi, and Burst and was marked XM4 Carbine.

Surely there had to be a manifest from Colt, sending some to Fort Hood to confirm?
View Quote

Thanks again for following up on this. We are lucky that the project manager for the M16A2 is a member here and he also started the XM4 project, so we have a good view of the early days when the XM4 had the earlier style handguards, two position stock and no feedramps.

We also have a member who has documented many of the weapons he has run across as he does repair, and M4 #489 was seen, but after its rebuild into a M4A1.

Attachment Attached File

There is debate over in retro land about the first 1000 M4s when they were fielded in 1995. I'm on the side of those who think the first 1000 would have had the fixed carry handle like the A2 and would be the first W000001 to W001000 SN weapons. The Army just goes by NSN - a M4 is a M4, is a M4 no matter the later modification. Memories fade over time, and there is a case of one of the operators who was at the Desert One operation in 1980 that says he carried a M4 Carbine - which we know from the historical record did not yet exist. That is why the visual documentation is so vital.

The later XM4 had the double heat shield handguards, 4 position stock, and M4 feedramps, so one item of interest is if the first M4s were just like that but with the M4 Carbine roll mark with the Wxxxxxx SN.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks again for following up on this. We are lucky that the project manager for the M16A2 is a member here and he also started the XM4 project, so we have a good view of the early days when the XM4 had the earlier style handguards, two position stock and no feedramps.

https://i.imgur.com/SqmLBKp_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

We also have a member who has documented many of the weapons he has run across as he does repair, and M4 #489 was seen, but after its rebuild into a M4A1.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/m4colt489_JPG-2066689.JPG

There is debate over in retro land about the first 1000 M4s when they were fielded in 1995. I'm on the side of thise who think the first 1000 would have had the fixed carry handle like the A2 and would be the first W000001 to W001000 SN weapons. The Army just goes by NSN - a M4 is a M4, is a M4 no matter the later modification. Memories fade over time, and there is a case of one of the operators who was at the Desert One operation in 1980 that says he carried a M4 Carbine - which we know from the historical record did not yet exist. That is why the visual documentation is so vital.

The later XM4 had the double heat shield handguards, 4 position stock, and M4 feedramps, so one item of interest is if the first M4s were just like that but with the M4 Carbine roll mark with the Wxxxxxx SN.
View All Quotes

There is debate over in retro land about the first 1000 M4s when they were fielded in 1995. I'm on the side of thise who think the first 1000 would have had the fixed carry handle like the A2 and would be the first W000001 to W001000 SN weapons. The Army just goes by NSN - a M4 is a M4, is a M4 no matter the later modification. Memories fade over time, and there is a case of one of the operators who was at the Desert One operation in 1980 that says he carried a M4 Carbine - which we know from the historical record did not yet exist. That is why the visual documentation is so vital.

That's is so cool to know, thanks! Only other thing I could offer up from our exchanges, was that he said that it had multiple stock positions but I didn't know that it was an actual important detail that was relevant. My apologies for the ignorance on my part.

The other two details I had left out because I didn't think it t was noteworthy, was that he mentioned that everyone had a hard time zeroing because they were not use to the shorter sight radius. And when he got orders for Hawaii, everyone in his division had M-16A2's with Aimpoint's on goosenecks and only later did they turn them in for M-4's with waffle stocks and KAC quads with an Aimpoint and a PEQ2.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
LE6920/6921
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Colt OEM-2 upper.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2021 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Man, that fucker looks loooong in that pic.

@samuse

What FH is that? Smith Vortex?
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

@samuse

View All Quotes

@samuse

Yep. Regular Smith Vortex.   I’ve had them mistaken for 18” uppers several times.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By samuse:

Yep. Regular Smith Vortex.   I’ve had them mistaken for 18” uppers several times.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By samuse:

@samuse

Thanks man.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:34:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: waldoman] [#21]
Carried W424600 as my own for 3 years. Anyway to find out when it was made? I know it’s still chugging along with the next Joe. The 550 cord securing SI takes me back.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 3:47:37 AM EDT
[#22]

My new Colt LE6920-EPR CK Enhanced Patrol Rifle Conversion Kit upper half, it came with the 13.5 inch Centurion Arms CMR M-LOK rail system but I changed it to a current model Centurion longer 15 inch rail.

My lower half is an older Colt LE6920 marked "M4 Carbine" with Colt ambi selector, Magpul MOE K-2 grip and B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD stock.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Added the G33 to the rifle.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/29/2021 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#25]

My oldest M4 carbine Colt SP6920 marked "Sporter M4 Carbine" made in 2011 and Colt LE6920-EPR CK Enhanced Patrol Rifle conversion kit upper half 16 inch M4 barrel with Centurion Arms CMR M-LOK 13.5 inch handguard.

Components shown are Scalarworks fix front sight, BCM M-LOK rail panels, Troy rear folding sight, Geissele super charging ambi handle, Vortex Sparc AR optic, LMT ambi selector, B5 Systems coyote grip (more upright angle), B5 Bravo SOPMOD coyote buttstock, Vickers - BFG 2 point coyote sling and PMAG gen 3 medium coyote tan.

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 10:57:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spatten] [#27]
A couple of Colts that have been P/W to 16. Both of these have a gov profile barrel and are so handy and lightweight.  The A2 receiver is marked "4" above the gas tube and has the M4 ramps cut.      

Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Spatten:
A couple of Colts that have been P/W to 16. Both of these have a gov profile barrel and are so handy and lightweight.  The A2 receiver is marked "4" above the gas tube and has the M4 ramps cut.      

https://i.imgur.com/8YL9JIbh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/vdZ75bsh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uEQBywVh.jpg
View Quote
That bottom rifle is sweet!
Link Posted: 10/7/2021 10:59:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha-Romeo3] [#29]

Same Colt M4 carbine as my 9/29 post except with new BCM KAG M-LOK hand stop.

ETA:  Geissele 2 stage trigger
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Installed my Surefire Scout M600U light with a Haley Strategic Thorntail6 M-LOK offset light mount, Arisaka finger stop and Magpul rail covers on my Colt LE6920-EPR CK upper half.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 4:17:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grs13bravo] [#31]
Anyone know the approximate date of a W245991 serial number? That was my service rifle... rack number 69
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 9:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#33]

There is debate over in retro land about the first 1000 M4s when they were fielded in 1995. I'm on the side of those who think the first 1000 would have had the fixed carry handle like the A2 and would be the first W000001 to W001000 SN weapons. The Army just goes by NSN - a M4 is a M4, is a M4 no matter the later modification. Memories fade over time, and there is a case of one of the operators who was at the Desert One operation in 1980 that says he carried a M4 Carbine - which we know from the historical record did not yet exist. That is why the visual documentation is so vital.

View Quote

M4 Carbine W000004? W000009? AND possibly W000019? (i am positive one was under 10) were seen by myself as a 45B back in 2009 in 94TH BSB...HHC, BSTB Arms room at Fort Polk, LA. I had to do a T.I. and handled them in awe...the Armorer didnt even care about the SN.  they were:

-Colt gray, not black-A2 carry handle
-I think Thinner hg, but i cannot find my pics...they were on a flip phone
-goosenecks were added with aimpoints.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:38:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cole4544] [#34]

Link Posted: 12/6/2021 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#35]

M4 Carbine W000004? W000009? AND possibly W000019? (i am positive one was under 10) were seen by myself as a 45B back in 2009 in 94TH BSB...HHC, BSTB Arms room at Fort Polk, LA. I had to do a T.I. and handled them in awe...the Armorer didnt even care about the SN.  they were:

-Colt gray, not black-A2 carry handle
-I think Thinner hg, but i cannot find my pics...they were on a flip phone
-goosenecks were added with aimpoints.
View Quote

@HaveBlue83 Like this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]

@HaveBlue83 Like this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180398/M4early_JPG-2194217.JPG
View Quote
spot on! thats them. ill never forget it. i wush i had pics but that old flip phone is long gone
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#37]

New Acog
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#38]
spot on! thats them. ill never forget it. i wush i had pics but that old flip phone is long gone
View Quote

I wish you had pics, too.

Do you remember any markings on the front of the upper above the opening for the gas tube?
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#40]

My same carbine I posted on 10/31 Colt SP6920 Sporter M4 carbine with Colt LE6920-EPR CK conversion kit upper half now with new Magpul FDE M-LOK rail panels.

This is my other upper half original factory 6920 M4 carbine with Knight's Armament M4 RAS rails, Magpul covers & hand stop, KAC 300M BUIS & Aimpoint M2 on LaRue Tactical cantilever QD lever mount.

Happy holidays!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 2:55:20 AM EDT
[#41]

I wish you had pics, too.

Do you remember any markings on the front of the upper above the opening for the gas tube?
View Quote
nope, no idea on feedramps, m4 mark.... didnt open em up either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 4:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#42]
Merry Christmas to all.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#43]
On the fence whether I want to do a Block 1.5 with the new carbine, or find an old M4S and make an as-issued M4A1 out of it.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Before

After

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 5:16:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArizonaRifleman] [#45]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy91K:
Before

https://i.imgur.com/ALQlVGP.jpeg

After

https://i.imgur.com/xhvB994.jpeg
View Quote

Very nice. How did the rezeroing of that iron, laser, ACOG, and RMR thingy go ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThatGuy91K:
Before

https://i.imgur.com/ALQlVGP.jpeg

After

https://i.imgur.com/xhvB994.jpeg

Literally just finished bolting everything up. It only took 4 broken punches, 2 trips to Lowes and an ER visit to get the front sight post off.

I've taken dozens of front sight posts off at work and it usually takes 3 or 4 good whacks with a 2.5lb hammer and a punch and they will break loose. I had to break out the Dremel and it still was a bitch to get those bastards out. The guy who installs BCM's taper pins is a sadistic mo-fo.

I'm going to try and get out to the range tomorrow and get it back dialed in before the weather turns bad again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 12:02:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alpha-Romeo3] [#48]

Same M4 carbine I posted on 12/23/2021 Colt marked "Sporter M4 Carbine" SP6920 lower half, Geissele G2S trigger with LE6920-EPR CK (Enhanced Patrol Rifle) conversion kit upper half.

Now with my practice and plinking optic Swampfox Arrowhead 1-6X24mm illuminated, BDC, SFP, MOA on Warne aluminum cantilever QD lever mount.

Edited to correct typo.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 1:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: northcoastwizard] [#49]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Does this count?

DSA M4 profile barreled upper built by Retro Arms.  The rest is Larue and Magpul with assorted odds and ends.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 89
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top