Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 115 of 145)
Page / 145
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:

@JLS81

Got her yet? Unloaded, sights (irons and/or scope), and sling.
View Quote
Rifle+ Sling + Iron Sights = 8.70 lbs

She will add more heft with "poor mans Acog" ; Knights Armament VG and correct sling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 1:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JLS81:

Rifle+ Sling + Iron Sights = 8.70 lbs

She will add more heft with "poor mans Acog" ; Knights Armament VG and correct sling.
View Quote
Thank you sir! So ought to be right about 9.0 - 9.3lbs when upkitted a bit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:46:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#3]
Originally Posted By A_Friendly_Manatee:
Where's a good place to get a correct tick style selector lever?
View Quote
I’ve been looking into that myself. I think a lot of people are buying the Schmid Tool select fire lever that is supplied to Colt and then modifying it by grinding off the middle “fin” in the lever so that it’s no longer a select fire (NFA) part. As I understand it, Colt and most other brands don’t put the tick mark on semi selectors. I think Rock River or someone used to, but they don’t seem to be available anymore.

Attachment Attached File

The other advantage of the Schmid selector is that it has the shorter lever (doesn’t extend over the flat round part of the selector as much) that is used on nearly all M4s and M16s. This Schmid semi selector is described as having the tick mark, but one review says the one he received didn’t come with the mark. You can see how the longer lever covers more of the round face of the selector on this later version.

Attachment Attached File

I’d love to hear about any other options for the tick mark if someone else has found any out there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I’ve been looking into that myself. I think a lot of people are buying the Schmid Tool select fire lever that is supplied to Colt and then modifying it by grinding off the middle “fin” in the lever so that it’s no longer a select fire (NFA) part. As I understand it, Colt and most other brands don’t put the tick mark on semi selectors. I think Rock River or someone used to, but they don’t seem to be available anymore.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/9158E483-37DD-47A9-A505-67A7217D692F_jpeg-877191.JPG

The other advantage of the Schmid selector is that it has the shorter lever (doesn’t extend over the flat round part of the selector as much) that is used on nearly all M4s and M16s. This Schmid semi selector is described as having the tick mark, but one review says the one he received didn’t come with the mark. You can see how the longer lever covers more of the round face of the selector on this later version.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/C4242BC3-286D-4576-A268-8DFAF23620CE_jpeg-877192.JPG

I’d love to hear about any other options for the tick mark if someone else has found any out there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Where's a good place to get a correct tick style selector lever?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/9158E483-37DD-47A9-A505-67A7217D692F_jpeg-877191.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/C4242BC3-286D-4576-A268-8DFAF23620CE_jpeg-877192.JPG

Thanks for the detailed reply.  The best part of that select fire lever is that I can turn it over to the "burst" marked position on my lower and go fully semi-automatic.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#5]
BCM Enhanced LPKs I've bought have tic selectors
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL BWT
Fat one's dead, figure it out
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry, when I said most brand don’t put the tick mark on their selectors, I should have specified the military style notch that issued weapons have. LMT has a thin raised line on theirs, and BCM has a lightly engraved line. Here’s a military selector notch (I’ve considered asking around if someone could cut this into a standard Colt semi selector and then reparkerize it):

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:16:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uniform64] [#8]
BCM's aren't that bad. Better than LMT's

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one of those Schmidt Tool select fire levers.  I'll post some pics for reference, but I won't be home to do so for another week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#10]
The selector lever that came in my Geissele LPK (S marked) has the tick mark cut, not as triangular as the GI style but it's milled and not just a skinny line like some. It does have the longer lever like the 2nd one scout posted. I think on pg 1 of this thread it is listed that these are found on later A4s, but I really wouldn't know as I retired from service back in 2012.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By uniform64:
BCM's aren't that bad. Better than LMT's
View Quote
Ah, I see - I didn’t realize they had updated their selector. The old BCM version just has a thin line - a little hard to make out in this photo. I may order one of the new ones - I like the more prominent tick mark.

Attachment Attached File

I bought one of those Schmidt Tool select fire levers.  I'll post some pics for reference, but I won't be home to do so for another week.
View Quote
Very interested to see if it still matches the military selector!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Ah, I see - I didn’t realize they had updated their selector. The old BCM version just has a thin line - a little hard to make out in this photo. I may order one of the new ones - I like the more prominent tick mark.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/44E73F43-6B7B-4A1D-B659-F90FE50FDF26_jpeg-877860.JPG

Very interested to see if it still matches the military selector!
View Quote
Skip the BCM selector. They have  'star' on the selector in place of the 'S' -- if that matters to you.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive got to get my KAC vertical grip off another gun to swap for the DD on there now, thinking this may get an Aimpoint.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By infectedorganism:
Skip the BCM selector. They have  'star' on the selector in place of the 'S' -- if that matters to you.
View Quote
Yeah, tracking, thanks - I got distracted and was talking about my BCM HD rifle, not an A4 clone. Back on track now!
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
BCP is going to be doing another run of A2/A4 marked lowers if anyone wants to jump on.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Another-BCP-A2-A4-Lower-run-soon-/127-738299/
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Pothole:
BCP is going to be doing another run of A2/A4 marked lowers if anyone wants to jump on.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Another-BCP-A2-A4-Lower-run-soon-/127-738299/
View Quote
I called BCP to express my interest as I’d been directed to by previous members. Tina at BCP asked that I e-mail her with my interest/contact info so she’d have a way to contact if they’re produced.

Their e-mail is:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#18]
yep, nice
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 11:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#19]
FN does produce a select fire ambi safety.  Think we ordered 5 ea and received 5 boxes of 50 ea!  Gotta love the military supply system.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
FN does produce a select fire ambi safety.  Think we ordered 5 ea and received 5 boxes of 50 ea!  Gotta love the military supply system.
CD
View Quote
My wife did that once.

Ordered 5 boxes of plastic dust caps. Received 5 boxes of 500/ea dust caps totaling 2,500 plastic dust caps.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#21]
FN does produce a select fire ambi safety. Think we ordered 5 ea and received 5 boxes of 50 ea! Gotta love the military supply system.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_6917_jpg-887012.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_6920_jpg-887013.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32677/IMG_6921_jpg-887015.JPG

CD
View Quote
No worries, I bet some of us could help you with that.

When I worked in retail, a girl ended up doing a similar thing on a custom order type of merchandise and ended up costing us a couple thousand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#22]
What does the ‘S’ signify on the selector?

Schmidt?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 1:07:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:
What does the ‘S’ signify on the selector?

Schmidt?
View Quote
I would assume "Safe" as the "S" would be up when pointing to the Safe position.

CD
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#24]

I would assume "Safe" as the "S" would be up when pointing to the Safe position.

CD
View Quote
Fair enough.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By ankratz:
I've had my PSA CHF 20" rifle kit in for a week or so, but I haven't taken it to the range.  What's the best way/distance to zero the carry handle to have the flattest trajectory with 55gr ball?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3766_JPG-868395.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3767_JPG-868396.JPG

I assembled it with an Aero M16A4 lower, and I supplemented the kit with a GI carry handle and some surplus A2 handguards.  I have a GI side sling swivel that I've been considering adding, too, but I think I'll save that until I eventually acquire an M5 RAS and ACOG.

I'm kind of bummed that the barrel doesn't have that slight relief cut on the last 1/2" of muzzle end before the threads, but I'll get over it.
View Quote
You need RBIZ in your life:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/RIBZ--Revised-Improved-Battlesight-Zero/18-328143/
View Quote
ribz has been impressive for me
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I finally was able to take pictures of that tick safety selector:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Here it is in my Aero M16A4 lower:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Let me know if you want more pictures of anything specific.

The PSA kit I bought came with dimpled takedown and pivot pins.  I will probably swap them out with non-dimpled pins (such as the ones in my retro rifle) to make this rifle a bit more clone-correct.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
That looks perfect - I’m definitely going to order a few. However, I’d recommend you modify the selector to remove that center “fin” to avoid any NFA “intent” complications. That’s what I plan to do with mine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:27:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Here it is in my Aero M16A4 lower:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3820_JPG-888917.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3821_JPG-888920.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3822_JPG-888923.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/438110/IMG_3823_JPG-888927.JPG

Let me know if you want more pictures of anything specific.

The PSA kit I bought came with dimpled takedown and pivot pins.  I will probably swap them out with non-dimpled pins (such as the ones in my retro rifle) to make this rifle a bit more clone-correct.
View Quote
Website and price?
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By wissota4:
Website and price?
View Quote
I posted about them with the selector photos above for the full explanation. Here's the Brownells listing:

Schmid Tool select fire lever
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#31]
That looks perfect - I’m definitely going to order a few. However, I’d recommend you modify the selector to remove that center “fin” to avoid any NFA “intent” complications. That’s what I plan to do with mine:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/0E5F4491-2997-4A78-99B3-B3997F24F9EA_jpeg-889046.JPG
View Quote
I was always curious... are the trigger and hammer springs the same for both versions? Or do you need different ones if you swap back and fourth?

Moot point for me, no tax stamps here in Kalifornia, but I’ve seen these comparisons before and I always wondered.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:29:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JupiterMaximus] [#32]
Deleted
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Forgive me if it's been discussed, but I'm curious about these FN M16A4 uppers that Ohio Ordnance Works has been selling. Someone posted a link yesterday in reddit's gundeals section when they came back into stock and said OOW had told him these were "true military surplus uppers." That sounds fuckey to me for 2 reasons. One is that the description says they're CHF barrels, which to my knowledge is not correct for military contract M16A4s. The other reason is that aside from certain items "falling off a truck" and being sold by some shop near a military base, this kind of thing doesn't get surplussed by the military.

Are these just takeoffs from the FN Collector's Series rifles?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By DiscipulusArmorum:
Forgive me if it's been discussed, but I'm curious about these FN M16A4 uppers that Ohio Ordnance Works has been selling. Someone posted a link yesterday in reddit's gundeals section when they came back into stock and said OOW had told him these were "true military surplus uppers." That sounds fuckey to me for 2 reasons. One is that the description says they're CHF barrels, which to my knowledge is not correct for military contract M16A4s. The other reason is that aside from certain items "falling off a truck" and being sold by some shop near a military base, this kind of thing doesn't get surplussed by the military.

View Quote
Actually I would not be surprised if FN is off loading extra A4 uppers. For the most part the rifle length is on it's way out with the US Military. Even the Marines finally came around to the M4 and other carbines.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:
Actually I would not be surprised if FN is off loading extra A4 uppers. For the most part the rifle length is on it's way out with the US Military. Even the Marines finally came around to the M4 and other carbines.
View All Quotes

I did think about that, but in my mind that wouldn't properly be called military surplus but more like a "contract overrun." But would a .mil contract M16A4 upper have a CHF barrel?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#36]
I did think about that, but in my mind that wouldn't properly be called military surplus but more like a "contract overrun." But would a .mil contract M16A4 upper have a CHF barrel?
View All Quotes

Nope they sure wouldn't have CHF barrels
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Maybe they are literally saying the upper is Mil-Surp, and finished with a civilian barrel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:51:48 AM EDT
[#38]
I think someone just put that in the product description because everyone thinks FN barrels are hammer forged (based on their commercial line). The upper I got from them has an FN CAGE code marked military barrel. I’ll email them and ask them to clarify that, which is preferable to speculating about it here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 4:19:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thekingbear] [#39]
Just picked her up yesterday.

Link Posted: 3/29/2019 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By thekingbear:
Just picked her up yesterday.

https://imgur.com/a/hk1QCga
View Quote
Copy the BBCode and paste. Or right click/tap and hold, view image, copy image location, click the image uploader in Arfcom's toolbar, paste.

Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I should have an M5 RAS on the way.  Should I swap out the standard FSB-mounted sling swivel for a side mounted one?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I should have an M5 RAS on the way.  Should I swap out the standard FSB-mounted sling swivel for a side mounted one?
View Quote
The A4s I saw in use had the standard swivel still attached. The M4 often had a side swivel mount attached, but I really can't remember seeing one on any A4s. I used the BFG side rail mounted swivel on mine and kept the FSB swivel as a redundancy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#43]
The A4s I saw in use had the standard swivel still attached. The M4 often had a side swivel mount attached, but I really can't remember seeing one on any A4s. I used the BFG side rail mounted swivel on mine and kept the FSB swivel as a redundancy.
View All Quotes
Cool.  Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 4/16/2019 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Does anyone know if FN M16A4s ever had a raised “F” on the upper receiver like A2s, or have they always been stamped / engraved? I’m cloning a ~2004 FN, and I haven’t been able to find any good closeup photos from that time period. I want to say that they did not use the raised “F” on any A4s, but maybe someone out there has seen one.

I’m also curious if anyone can confirm any forge marks from that period (early 2000s). The FN that I was issued in 2005 was in the 101635XX serial number range, but I didn’t know what a forge mark was back then and don’t recall ever noticing it on the receiver. I have the choice of a Cerro or Brass Aluminum upper, but again, I haven’t really been able to find any good photos of early FN A4s to tell if a particular forge mark was more common. I know I’m a little obsessive, but I’d like to narrow it down if possible. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2019 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Probably my least used rifle :/
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Probably my least used rifle :/
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/384425/20190403_185127_resized_1_jpg-916768.JPG
View Quote
Shoot JJREA 25 Meter Challenge with the can.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#47]
For anyone who's been waiting on these to come back in stock, Ohio Ordnance Works has a limited number of the FN M16A4 NOS uppers available as of this morning.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JLS81:

Shoot JJREA 25 Meter Challenge with the can.
View Quote
10 shots at 25m? I'll try it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 12:35:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLS81] [#49]

10 shots at 25m? I'll try it.
View Quote
Outstanding sir!! Get that A4 into action, awesome!
Link Posted: 4/19/2019 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got mine all done. Took a Colt SOCOM lower and stuck a BCM Upper (bought here new on the EE) with Knights M5 RAS on it, ordered a Fulton Armory A2 stock assembly with buffer and spring. Love this gun. Feels very solid and now I get the love of the A4.

Page / 145
M16a4 (clone) picture thread (Page 115 of 145)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top