Site Notices
Page / 219
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chevyguy2012] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

What do you mean gone? What’s wrong with you
View Quote

I had a hankering for a 30 cal gas gun, and wanted to get into nods. I had other guns filling the same role and it allowed me to get into an lmt mws and pvs14.

If times were normal I would have just waited but seeing in the dark jumped up big on my list this year and I'm also trying to do some personal responsible things.

If the world evens out anytime soon I'd like to have another 14.5 this time that was 16, if not I'm happy to have the nvgs and a 30 cal "precision" rifle which I lacked before.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#2]
@Chevyguy2012

How did you like that Khales? It looks like you've been able to compare it to the Razor HD...
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By minion42:
@Chevyguy2012

How did you like that Khales? It looks like you've been able to compare it to the Razor HD...
View Quote

I loved the Kahles, it was lightweight and glass was awesome, I have an issue of like my granddaddy would say having champagne taste on a beer budget Same kind of scenario that I mentioned above at the time I had other things I "needed" so I actually went from the razor to the kahles back to a razor. If I had the money I would say kahles (if you want lightweight 1-6) or atacr (if you want more DMR type) all the way. Though another good point I would make is how nice the Razor really is for the money I absolutely love them.
Though if money were no object it would be the former, but to me the performance was marginal compared to the price if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's the LMT I replaced the KAC with, I believe it fits the recce-eqsue criteria. 16 inch LMT with mk5 3-18

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:14:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cone256] [#5]
Originally Posted By Chevyguy2012:
Here's the LMT I replaced the KAC with, I believe it fits the recce-eqsue criteria. 16 inch LMT with mk5 3-18
https://i.imgur.com/zPJX4LW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/fMQ9Ii9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/k7jmBqz.jpg
View Quote

How's that setup working out for you?  I'm building a 16" Criterion barreled .308 right now and was gonna get the MK5 with a 509T offset
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cone256:

How's that setup working out for you?  I'm building a 16" Criterion barreled .308 right now and was gonna get the MK5 with a 509T offset
View Quote

I'm really enjoying it, I've had the holosun for a while now I believe its one of the gen 1 507s and it was my first smaller RDS nothing but good things to say about that and its been on a lot of different things rifle to handgun. The leupold had some issues out of the gate and had to go back to for repairs but they took care of me in a timely manner. I've had several quality things break on me in the past and understand these are mechanical items built by people so things happen as long as they are taken care of and aren't re-occurring I'm okay with that. I just got it back so cant comment on that to much yet but was able to get dope out to 800 yards in crappy weather this weekend so I was happy with that.

My calculator (strelok) has me pretty good out to 600 yards but after that I'm having to true up a little which is expected with the 16 inch chrome lined barrel I'm not expecting the world. Just want to be on in the 600-800 yard range and capable out to 1k as it sits after 800 yards it appears to be dropping off pretty good and with the conditions this weekend (lots of rain and ice) it was very difficult to spot at that distance. I'm confident with some better weather ill be able to get my data squared away on man sized steel at 1k and little targets around 800 which is pretty much what im looking for the way it sits.

to the MK5 specifically I love the weight and my glass is super clear (coming from razors) I've seen some complain about the glass on the 3-18 as I believe its not the same as the 5-25. I have not experienced this as mine is super crisp and looks similar to a buddies 5-25. I love the form and function of the scope and as long as I have no more mechanical issues it will be here to stay.

Eventually I will replace the barrel with a stainless from 16-20 inches and I'll be starting to work a load up on it. I have a 6.5 bolt gun as well but enjoy gassers so my ultimate goal is to be able to play some gun games with it and at least hold my own with a gasser. we shall see
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is my version

Larue 556 OBR
Trijicon 1-8 Accupower in a Geissele mount
Deadair Sandman S

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]

I'm really enjoying it, I've had the holosun for a while now I believe its one of the gen 1 507s and it was my first smaller RDS nothing but good things to say about that and its been on a lot of different things rifle to handgun. The leupold had some issues out of the gate and had to go back to for repairs but they took care of me in a timely manner. I've had several quality things break on me in the past and understand these are mechanical items built by people so things happen as long as they are taken care of and aren't re-occurring I'm okay with that. I just got it back so cant comment on that to much yet but was able to get dope out to 800 yards in crappy weather this weekend so I was happy with that.

My calculator (strelok) has me pretty good out to 600 yards but after that I'm having to true up a little which is expected with the 16 inch chrome lined barrel I'm not expecting the world. Just want to be on in the 600-800 yard range and capable out to 1k as it sits after 800 yards it appears to be dropping off pretty good and with the conditions this weekend (lots of rain and ice) it was very difficult to spot at that distance. I'm confident with some better weather ill be able to get my data squared away on man sized steel at 1k and little targets around 800 which is pretty much what im looking for the way it sits.

to the MK5 specifically I love the weight and my glass is super clear (coming from razors) I've seen some complain about the glass on the 3-18 as I believe its not the same as the 5-25. I have not experienced this as mine is super crisp and looks similar to a buddies 5-25. I love the form and function of the scope and as long as I have no more mechanical issues it will be here to stay.

Eventually I will replace the barrel with a stainless from 16-20 inches and I'll be starting to work a load up on it. I have a 6.5 bolt gun as well but enjoy gassers so my ultimate goal is to be able to play some gun games with it and at least hold my own with a gasser. we shall see
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cone256:

Awesome!  Thanks for taking the time to type that all out
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:20:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I need to reup my membership next month so I can properly upload photos. Let's see if this works.

"Lower priced" recee style: Faxon 16" gunner barrel, BCM blem upper (which was tiiighttt as hell and a bitch to get everything on), MI 15" combat rail, Anderson lower Larue trigger, and a VLTOR stock I've had hanging around. Mostly parts I've had or bought on sale as they presented themselves.

Now I need to decide on accessories and a scope.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 7:32:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TravisMate] [#12]
My new recce-ish build
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TravisMate:
My new recce-ish build
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/SiempreCinema/_SOPMOD_ZFinal.jpg
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:58:48 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

16"??
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#16]
16". urx 3.1 was machined on both ends to be flush fit and clear the aem5
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#17]
20210226_150957 by brandon hobock, on Flickr" />

Is this a recce lol
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#18]
i always loved my H with an a2 stock on it. not allowed, yet so right!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
i always loved my H with an a2 stock on it. not allowed, yet so right!
View Quote

I think about it once a week or so.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Faaaaaahk I likes that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Its funny yall mention that because I have thoughts about swapping to a carbine setup from time to time
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Brandonbeezy:
Its funny yall mention that because I have thoughts about swapping to a carbine setup from time to time
View Quote

I wouldn't swap unless you use it with a plate carrier from time to time. That's the main reason I'm keeping an adjustable.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

I wouldn't swap unless you use it with a plate carrier from time to time. That's the main reason I'm keeping an adjustable.
View Quote

Sure don't, I should though
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Is the NF worth it..

I want one kinda bad
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Is the NF worth it..

I want one kinda bad
View Quote
nx8 eyebox is tight and wasnt very clear at max zoom....buddy sold his for this. we both hated it.

atac r should be better but ooof price.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Is the NF worth it..

I want one kinda bad
View Quote

It's the best lpvo in its class and I like mine. I don't know if I want to keep it on this rifle though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#28]
nx8 eyebox is tight and wasnt very clear at max zoom....buddy sold his for this. we both hated it.

View All Quotes

Is the NF worth it..

I want one kinda bad

For reference I can hit 8" plates at 500 easily with it. That said if you spend a lot of time at distance I think something with 10+ on the high end and a finer reticle is a better choice. Mine will likely go on a more do it all setup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#29]

That's a nice setup there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

For reference I can hit 8" plates at 500 easily with it. That said if you spend a lot of time at distance I think something with 10+ on the high end and a finer reticle is a better choice. Mine will likely go on a more do it all setup.
View Quote

Its been a couple years since ive been past 300, making an effort to find new ranges here where i can.

Used to shoot at my uncles property in MS, but he's past away now.

On top of that, I've got zero experience with an AR at distance.
Im pretty excited
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#31]
yeah we were at the 1k range and got our eyes all crossed up looking at stuff.

i like donut dot bdc or mil dots myself
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#32]
It's a bit of a FDE cluster fuck, but it's a work in progress.

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jsxtreme:
It's a bit of a FDE cluster fuck, but it's a work in progress.

https://i.imgur.com/TEJfKtQ.jpg
View Quote

That's my favorite kind of finish on all my rifles - mis-matched FDE all over.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:03:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jester27] [#34]

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#35]
" />
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#37]

That is hot
View Quote

Why thank you my guy, I’m on a KAC high right now
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

That's my favorite kind of finish on all my rifles - mis-matched FDE all over.
View Quote

Well, good news for you, there's more FDE fuckery afoot. lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Think this fits in hereAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Trying out an off set red dot with my Razor

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#42]
After taking it out to zero, I changed out the stock and optics.

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:16:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Do you plan on running the offset as a backup or more as a primary?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:41:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cone256] [#45]

View All Quotes

I'm gonna try it as a main 1x with the Razor set to 6x.  See how it goes
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Built this out for a Winter photoshoot, I really like how it turned out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#47]
What do all of your set-ups typically weigh?

I built out my first RECCE and I’m at 10.5 lbs so far which was a bit surprising considering I don’t think I have anything excessive on it.

Weight-Drivers include:

-Gov. Profile 16” Sionics Barrel
-15” Sionics Handguard
-A2 Stock & Rifle Buffer System
-Primary Arms ACSS 1-6 LPVO in LaRue SPR Mount
-Streamlight HLX
-Magpul M-Lok Bipod
-Surefire Warden

This set up doesn’t have an IR device or suppressor so I can’t imagine it weighs more than most other set-ups posted here.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Pakieser:
Built this out for a Winter photoshoot, I really like how it turned out.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17177/Winter-Recce_jpg-1877140.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/17177/Emma-Sniper_jpg-1877142.JPG
View Quote

That is all the way around awesome!
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Needs a better muzzle (why its not seated) and a better trigger. But we are getting there.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Welp, not sure if this goes here, but it's what I got now.
Colt lower with MBT trigger.
Colt upper with Faxon 11.5 Middy barrel. Superlative gas block.
Pin&welded Form1 Ti suppressor.
Accupower 1-4 in LT104 mount.
A bit heavier than I thought it would be, but still not FAL heavy.
Oh...I'm NOT  a photographer!

Page / 219
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top