Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 6:49:41 PM EDT
I have a Bushmaster Patrolman’s Carbine.  A fine rifle indeed.  I purchased an Eotech 512 to mount on the A3 flat top.  I currently do not have a rear sight.  My issue is how do I raise the Eotech slightly.  I really do not like the front sight in most of the Eotech view.  I would like a flip-up rear sight.  The Rock River Dominator seems like a great product but I’m afraid the rear sight will always be in the major part of  the viewing area since it is not a flip-up.  Any suggestions on a solution for raising the Eotech and a recommended rear sight?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I've found that when I focus on the reticle, the front sight post blurs and is a non-issue.  

As for BUIS, I have the ARMS #40L low profile that fits down nicely and retains zero well.  It does not adjust for elevation though, so if that's important to you, you may want to do something different.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Alternatively, get a flip-up front sight - YHM makes a pretty cheap one, PRI makes a more expensive one, both are good choices.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#4]
larue tactical eotech riser with yhm low profile flip up buis.  i like mine like that. it puts the buis in the lower 1/3 of window.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
LaRue eotech riser is top notch
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]

I use a GG&G flip-up rear site with my Eotech. It works well for me. I don't mind the front post in the image.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
The YHM riser did the trick for me.  It only cost me $35.00, and it was well worth it.
I'd post a pic, but my photo shop skills pale in comparison to the Stickman.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a Bushmaster Patrolman’s Carbine.  A fine rifle indeed.  I purchased an Eotech 512 to mount on the A3 flat top.  I currently do not have a rear sight.  My issue is how do I raise the Eotech slightly.  I really do not like the front sight in most of the Eotech view.  I would like a flip-up rear sight.  The Rock River Dominator seems like a great product but I’m afraid the rear sight will always be in the major part of  the viewing area since it is not a flip-up.  Any suggestions on a solution for raising the Eotech and a recommended rear sight?  

RRA Dominator works for me and my 551, but I others who have shot my rifle have provided me with mixed reviews:

In other words, get whatever you feel most comfortable with!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
i had a DPMS stand up rear sight, but switched to a KAC fold down

a lot better (front sight does not bother me) imo

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#11]
You should be using both eyes when using the EOTech anyway... When you use both eyes you should be focusing on the target and your surroundings.  When you are doing that you could have a brick wall mounted in front of your holosight and it wouldn't matter.  And if your target shooting then do you really need a ton of FOV for the stationary target?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the dominator on my RRA with the 512 and I like it.  I have not shot it yet, but you dont even notice the rear sight when your looking through the EOTech (with both eyes open).  Then if you need to transition to the irons for any reason, it's there in the lowe 1/3 of the window.  I like it, but to each is their own.  Some people like the dominator, some would rather have a flip up.  To me, I like having mine already flipped up, incase the eotech fails, or i dont have it on and I need to shoot something quick, i'm not fumble-fuckin around to get my rear sight flipped up.  If you ask all the people who have dominators they really like them and they will also tell you that having the rear sight obstructing the window is not an issue at all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the Dominator here. I wouldn't swap mine for any other EO mount on the market.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
My EOtech with no riser was fine. I never noticed the fixed front sight. But I prefer it now with my YHM riser. Just more confortable for me. I have a MI BUIS flip site that I rarely use, but it nice to have.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:16:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys, one concern to think about is firing the weapon with a gas mask/SCBA on. I recently site pictured some people (the rifle is a county issued M4 with an EoTech mounted on the carry handle) while raiding a meth. lab. We were wearing our combat gear, in addition to an enclosure suit and a SCBA. With the SCBA the elevated EoTech on the riser made it so much easier to focus on my target while maintaing peripheral vision. I too shoot with both eyes open FYI.

Not real sure if this is what your looking for, but you guys raiding meth labs might want to consider elevation when raiding labs. OSHA recently (first of year) put down alot of guidelines for entering an active meth. lab.

+1 to stickman, he has helped me so much with tricking out my personal Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
tag for response
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry...., double post!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
As BaronFitz said...., if you are sighting properly (both eyes open) this should be a non- issue!!

Adjusted correctly, a fixed BUIS (LMT ect..) & the Eotech mounted directly on the Flat Top will   give you the best tactical sight system you can ask for...., "Absolute Co-Witness"

Better yet...., add a night vision sysytem to this set up & you have an instant  AR-15 Trifecta!!!!

AR-15 Trifecta =  "Absolute Co-Witness sighting system with night vision capabilities"

This may not be for you if you shoot with only one eye open .., or if you have a dominant eye problem!!

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the Eotech w/ a Larue mount and a Troy folding BUIS. Not only does the Larue help the site picture, but I can remove the EOtech much easier to clean the AR after shooting. I didn't have a riser for a long time, then figured I would try it. If I didn't like, it could always be sold or traded....good luck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:32:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hey guys, one concern to think about is firing the weapon with a gas mask/SCBA on. I recently site pictured some people (the rifle is a county issued M4 with an EoTech mounted on the carry handle) while raiding a meth. lab. We were wearing our combat gear, in addition to an enclosure suit and a SCBA. With the SCBA the elevated EoTech on the riser made it so much easier to focus on my target while maintaing peripheral vision. I too shoot with both eyes open FYI.

Not real sure if this is what your looking for, but you guys raiding meth labs might want to consider elevation when raiding labs. OSHA recently (first of year) put down alot of guidelines for entering an active meth. lab.

+1 to stickman, he has helped me so much with tricking out my personal Bushmaster.

Excellent point for LE/Mil guys.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:45:41 AM EDT
[#21]
How do you sight an EOTech anyway? And if you sight it dead on at 25 yards where does it generally hit at 100 yards?
JR
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree with the pro-mask/SCBA statement 100%

Quoted:
How do you sight an EOTech anyway? And if you sight it dead on at 25 yards where does it generally hit at 100 yards?
JR

Check out this thread, which contains numerous zero targets, including the EoTech 25-meter zero target, based on mil-spec zero target (also included in this thread).

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=276792

I'm no expert when it comes to EoTech (I've always used Aimpoint until now), but last week when I zeroed my 552 at 25-meters, I was dead-on with the 100 meter targets - very tight groups.

EDIT: I also found that the 100-meter targets allowed me to fine-tune the EoTech very easily, which I was able to verify on the 25-meter targets.  

I should also say that I'm an experienced soldier and have always shot expert.  I took a friend with me and allowed him to fire the AR after the EoTech was zeroed - he is an inexperienced shooter and has never even held an AR.  With iron sights, he was so-so at 25-meters, but with the EoTech, his groups were very tight and very well placed.  In other words, the EoTech is almost too easy

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top