Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2006 5:11:17 AM EDT
Yesterday at the local gun show, I experienced a pretty severe flare-up of Black Rifle Disease, I am recovering well but full of questions. A local guy has a build he calls the Black Mamba, it's basicly an RRA lower (2-stage RRA trigger), Magpul stock, POF gas piston upper, Predator rail (which to me seemed a little excessive, and bulky - at least for my needs), BUIS, nickel bolt (which I guess can run flawless with little cleaning or maintenance. In theory I like the idea of the gas piston upper, but have read mixed reviews here. Complete rifle goes for about $1600 or the upper with bolt for like $950.

So I'm in a dilema, is it worth parting with my finally ironed out flawless M4gery project www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=275678? I like the idea of a  piston as opposed to gas in theory, but I'm totally inexperienced with the POF uppers.

Someone please help me! BRD will be the death of me.................
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy the upper at least.  I love my POF.  

TS
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with TigerStripe; buy the upper.

That is what I did.  I put it on an LMT lower with the SOPMOD stock and it sweet.

The "nickel bolt" you mentioned is actually hard chromed as in all the internal workings of the POF upper.

You mentioned that you have read "mixed reviews" here.  I am curious because I have never read a single bad thing by anyone who owned one or had tested one for any length of time.

I love mine but I would like to hear from any one who isn't happy with theirs.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone know who sells them? What kind of cleaning schedule do you use with the POF. Are they picky with mags?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Did someone say POF?

Mine is going on a doublestar arms lower with Magpul stock and grip. Whoot.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone know who sells them?

POF sells them directly for less than anyone else ,maybe the same as DSA if you want the one with the P4X (7") rail.   I bought the DSA model at list price so I wouldn't have to wait.  If this guy has had it a while it may have an old gas piston with uneven, soft chrome plating which may/will mushroom after about 200 rounds.  This happened to mine, POF sent me a new piston and it's had about 1500 rounds through it since with no problems.  

What kind of cleaning schedule do you use with the POF. Are they picky with mags?

I clean my bolt carrier group after about 300-400 rounds just to remove Wolf primer sealant.  I cleaned my gas piston after 1000 rounds with CLP and a wire brush.  

If you ever try one, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

TS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top