Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2006 7:13:07 PM EDT
Well I want to keep my carry handle but I dont want to mount my aimpoint clone on the carry handle. Can I mount it on the forward grip with some kind of mount that would move it towards my rear sight and still allow me to use my original iron sights? If so what kind of mount am I looking for?

thx in advance ...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:14:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 7:15:24 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]
Yes you can. Somebody will chime in with it, but it's a rail the mounts to the top of hte carry handle and then goes downward in the shape of an L over the top of the handguards.

Just mount it on the lower part.

ETA - Like this.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:18:56 PM EDT
thx -- that is what I was just looking at but I really dont like the look of it ...

But since I do have rails on my hardguard I was wondering if their was something tall enough that I could just mount on the hardguard rail. ...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:21:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 7:23:37 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]

Originally Posted By Miami02TJ:
thx -- that is what I was just looking at but I really dont like the look of it ...

But since I do have rails on my hardguard I was wondering if their was something tall enough that I could just mount on the hardguard rail. ...

Yeah it definitely doesn't look that great, but that's how it's going to be. The only other thing I can think of is to free float the handguards and mount it on there, but that still isn't really recommend.

You could look into this if you want to try it on your current handguards.

Riser Mount

ETA - Out of curiosity, where in FL are you?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:24:34 PM EDT
Yea -- the problem is that I am trying hard to keep the rifle as original as possible (I have one of the first 100 S&W MP 15's made). I really dont want to replace anything -- just add to it ...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:26:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4A1OwnsYou:

Miami
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:26:59 PM EDT

Miami

You know, I really need to start paying attention to peoples' usernames on here.

For some reason, they don't exactly stand out like most other forums and I tend to browse right over them.

Excuse my stupidity.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:28:01 PM EDT

Yea -- the problem is that I am trying hard to keep the rifle as original as possible (I have one of the first 100 S&W MP 15's made). I really dont want to replace anything -- just add to it ...

I hear ya.

I actually want to do the same thing you're doing. I manned up and just ditched the carry handle for a BUIS and going to mount the Aimpoint on the flat top with the cantilever mount.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:29:24 PM EDT
"Gooseneck" mount is what they are commonly called. Several good ones and some pretty cheap crappy ones out there.

No hijack intended but would one of those work with a Leupold 2.5 power long eye releif riflescope?
How much eye relief do they have and how much does the Leupold require?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:32:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 7:33:09 PM EDT by M4A1OwnsYou]

Originally Posted By sum-rifle:
"Gooseneck" mount is what they are commonly called. Several good ones and some pretty cheap crappy ones out there.

No hijack intended but would one of those work with a Leupold 2.5 power long eye releif riflescope?

Are you looking into mounting a scope above the handguards...?

Well, according to a random search, at 2.5x, it has an eye relief of 18 inches. Should be fine, but I still don't like that idea.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:58:17 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:15:37 PM EDT
I have an aimpoint on my carry handle, just like the pic above. I like it alot. The height is about the same as my 270 bolt action with see thru rings.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:21:11 PM EDT

Well, according to a random search, at 2.5x, it has an eye relief of 18 inches. Should be fine, but I still don't like that idea.

Yes. Why do you not like the idea?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:47:19 PM EDT

Yes. Why do you not like the idea?

I just couldn't see mounting a scope that far forward. To each their own.

I'm no pro, but just not my style.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:43:39 PM EDT

I just couldn't see mounting a scope that far forward. To each their own.

I'm no pro, but just not my style.

You do understand how long eye relief scopes work right?
Scout rifles with long eye relief scopes mounted out on the barrel are getting more popular. Ruger is making a frontier rifle. M1A Scout rifle is popular also.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:59:35 AM EDT
stupid question -- Whats eye relief?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:00:54 AM EDT
KAC M4 RAS

I read a thread the other day where Kevin B mentioned a Tier 1 special ops unit mounted Eotechs on the KAC RAS and had no problems with it. This might work for your Aimpoint clone too. The RAS is not free floated, but it may work fine for your situation. Besides, the RAS will give you mounting options for a light or VFG if you choose.

My M5 RAS locks up tight and I'm going to experiment with my Eotech 552 just to see what it can do.

IBTFFN

(In before the free float nazis)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:50:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:43:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 9:44:27 AM EDT by bmick325]

Originally Posted By Stickman:
I don't doubt Kevin, but the difference is that most people here aren't forced to use a KAC, they can get a better design for the same money, and then mounting an optic on the rail wouldn't be an issue. Its not a matter of disliking KAC, or being a FF nazi, its being realistic. I do agree with you that a rail system may be a worth while item for him to look at.

This is why I reccomended the RAS

Can I mount it on the forward grip with some kind of mount that would move it towards my rear sight and still allow me to use my original iron sights? If so what kind of mount am I looking for?

I am trying hard to keep the rifle as original as possible (I have one of the first 100 S&W MP 15's made). I really dont want to replace anything -- just add to it ...

I took that to mean he didn't want to make any major changes like a FF forend. There are a number of 2pc forends on the market and maybe some are better, but the RAS is the only one I have experience with and felt comfortable reccomending. I never really considered it for mounting optics until I saw Kevin's post on it (still cant find it to link).

Top Top