User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
we would carry as many as we could, usually couldnt get enough mags.  30 rds per, first two in the mag tracers.  we had lbvs, so 6 mags in there.  i had 2 3 rd mag pouches, and a saw pouch, plgr pouch, and a buttpack on the pistol belt.  when i carried the 240, i would put the buttpack on my left hip and load it full, heavy but easy access w/no ag.  saw gunners had back up mags, and slung the drums.  we used to take the 203 lbvs apart, and just tape the front piece over the normal lbv.  the two layers worked great.  the whole new interceptor only idea changed everything.

tip for saw drums: take the black safety pin from a bandolier and cut it to the same length as the skinny silver pin in the drum latch, and replace.  wont pop off when you hit the ground.  put cardboard behind the rounds so they wont rattle too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
 I'm up, he see's me, I'm down....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 I'm up, he see's me, I'm down....

Hey man just ignore me. I got all hot under the collar over a joke and I shouldn't have.
Rangers do lead the way though!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
nobody ever accused a ranger of being smart...............short tabbers.............

Well dumb ass they are smart. Much smarter than you by a long shot! O by the way, dumb-ass, they are Elite, also. Unfortunately, Rangers (and it is spelled with a capital R, dumb-ass) the least recognized Special Operation Forces Under Socom. They are most conventional force under Socom but they are not a  conventional unit. There is no best SOF, Rangers are better at there own job than the Seals and vice versa.
What is a Rangers job you asks the dumb ass? Well I will tell you dumb ass, raids, recon, behind the lines missions.
Rangers would for example do a raid on a radio tower in enemy held territory. Rangers come in, take out  the radio tower, then they are gone be for bad guys know what the hell just happened. Rangers are one of the best fighting men the US has ever seen. I would much rather have a Ranger covering my ass then a Marine. Don't get me wrong I think Marines the best Infantry men out there to day, but they aren't SOF. Marine Force Recon? Hell yea they are Elite better than Rangers no I don't think so.
  A Force Recon Marine said this-One of Morrison's greatest challenges came not from any Marine Corps training, but from Army Ranger school. "They get you to a point where you don't know your own name," he said, slightly blushing as he recounts the tale. And here is the link from where I got this. http://www.specialoperations.com/USMC/Force_Recon/Peers.htm  So dumb ass why don't you take some advice and stop being a dumb ass.

Thank you for your time. John
Rangers Lead The Way!

ETA: Now can we get back on topic!?!

I guess Rangers can suck their own dicks too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Man I thought the trolling in GD was bad!

(aka tag)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is the standard battle load of a soldier now? How many magazines?

Technically, the standard load out is 210 rounds. Thats a full LBV or LBE. In the real world? Fuck, dude, as much as you can get your hands on and can carry. If I can get my hands on the magazines and ammo, I'll carry as much as 390 rounds (two LBE type pouches added to my belt), and thats if Im not carrying an extra box for our SAW. If not, I'll throw on an additional 180 (another two pouches), assuming, again that I can find the ammo and the magazines.

Remember though, you have four considerations: getting the ammo you technically arent alloted yet (no comment, be creative), getting the magazines you arent supposed to have (no comment other than buy them yourself and mark them discreetly but distinctively, or be creative), where to carry them (are you using LBE, LBV, a mix or some high speed low drag kit?) and of course, the REAL question, do you want to carry the extra weight.

The extra weight is an issue you will pay attention to after you march a few clicks with all the rifle ammo you wanted to have, plus two boxes of SAW ammo, neither of which you thought you were going to have. Its not so bad for me, Im a husky one, the kind who has to tape but its no problem because I have a 20 inch neck. But even for me, after a while, if I brought too much ammo Im gonna know it, and wish I had brought half as much, so if you are one of these little bastards that can stand on my back while I do pushups, you might want to stick to 210 rounds.

EDIT TO ADD: Just my experience from Guard Drill and ROTC, I havent been to the sand yet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
im a navy seal...and i dont carry any ammo because when i was at buds chuck norris came and showed us how to defeat any number of enemys with our bare hands...i dont do ops anymore but you can find me at big 5 or wally world if you want proffesional advice...i know not everyone can be a navy seal like me so +87 to 210 or more
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#8]
All hail chuck....

That had to be one of the best answers on here.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:33:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
im a navy seal...and i dont carry any ammo because when i was at buds chuck norris came and showed us how to defeat any number of enemys with our bare hands...i dont do ops anymore but you can find me at big 5 or wally world if you want proffesional advice...i know not everyone can be a navy seal like me so +87 to 210 or more

Did that include his "point your finger and say 'bang'" method that he used to shoot down a German fighter as a kid?  I've been trying, but I never can get it right.  All my victims just grunted and had welts as if shot by airsoft.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was in, I carried a 40 round magazine as a 'reaction magazine' in my M4, 6 thirty round magazines in my LBV, another 6-9 magazines in pouches on my waist, and enough to start a small war - and win it, in the back of the HMMWV, along with all the ammo for the teams SAW.  Along with plenty of 40mm (HEDP, Iluminiation, Buckshot/Flechette, and HE) for my M203.

All magazines were down-loaded 10% (so the 30's had 27, the 40 had 36).  Regardless of your personal feelings, that was Company SOP, and it made sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#11]
HAHA, this thread is one of the most entertaining this month.

It's been about a year since I left Baghdad International, had one in the rifle, one in the buttstock pouch and 6 in my LBV (that's another thing, started with one getup, trained with another at mob station and left with yet another getup.) Had another 10 in my assault pack which usually get stash somewhere around the area I am working. Only did a few convoy and I grab all the mags I could to put in the vehicle when I had to. Made sure all my soldiers had at least 7 mags with them and the assistant team leaders all carried an extra 10 mags in their packs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#12]
a friend of mine just came back from iraq, he told me carried 10 30rnds
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:29:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In Iraq I Carried 10 30's in my RACK + 1 in the rifle. + 6 extra 30's in my assault pack.  In 12 months I only had to use my spares once. and after it was over I had 6 rounds left.

Mission dictates what we carried. Can't give you anything more every situation is different

I bet that one time you had the spares you were damn glad you did. Did you get resupplied soon after, having only 6 rds? Or what did you do til you were?

17 mags worth of ammo. Whew. Bit of a load.

My 1114 had 50+ pre loaded 30's (in bandoliers) for this type of situation so when we loaded up all we did was switch out the empties with loaded mags.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I installed the ckeekrest/battery compartment on my 6pos stock, can someone reccomend a mag carrier to attach to the buttstock with this config? I know they make one for the collapsable stock, I am just not sure if it will fit over the add-on.  Anyone that has been overseas ever use a double-mag coupler? I have one but it seems that no matter  how tight you get the screws the mags always seem to shift. I shit-canned the whole thing.

btw...as a newbie...this palce is a hoot!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends on your mission.

But yes, 210 is the standard.  We dont have anyone who has less than 210 on them when they go into the red zone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
nobody ever accused a ranger of being smart...............short tabbers.............

Well dumb ass they are smart. Much smarter than you by a long shot! O by the way, dumb-ass, they are Elite, also. Unfortunately, Rangers (and it is spelled with a capital R, dumb-ass) the least recognized Special Operation Forces Under Socom. They are most conventional force under Socom but they are not a  conventional unit. There is no best SOF, Rangers are better at there own job than the Seals and vice versa.
What is a Rangers job you asks the dumb ass? Well I will tell you dumb ass, raids, recon, behind the lines missions.
Rangers would for example do a raid on a radio tower in enemy held territory. Rangers come in, take out  the radio tower, then they are gone be for bad guys know what the hell just happened. Rangers are one of the best fighting men the US has ever seen. I would much rather have a Ranger covering my ass then a Marine. Don't get me wrong I think Marines the best Infantry men out there to day, but they aren't SOF. Marine Force Recon? Hell yea they are Elite better than Rangers no I don't think so.
  A Force Recon Marine said this-One of Morrison's greatest challenges came not from any Marine Corps training, but from Army Ranger school. "They get you to a point where you don't know your own name," he said, slightly blushing as he recounts the tale. And here is the link from where I got this. http://www.specialoperations.com/USMC/Force_Recon/Peers.htm  So dumb ass why don't you take some advice and stop being a dumb ass.

Rangers Lead The Way!

I guess Rangers can suck their own dicks too.

and Johnny boy cant figure out what 18E stands for either
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]
man, I am a lot dumber for reading this thread.    I should have stopped at page 1, but I get sucked into dumbass banter like a mosquito into a bug zapper...  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
This is from a civilian's observations.  A civilian who never had the stones to attempt military service so...

A standardized load-out would likely take into account that some of those carrying that load-out will possibly/likely get killed not long after a conflict begins, leaving extra ammo for those still in the fight.  Why wear a soldier out having him lug a ton of s$*t to battle.  If he's/she's light, they can manuver and hopefully last longer.

The thinking is perhaps something like "don't carry ground beef in your backpack, make your cow walk with you until you need it, then slaughter it".

Scott
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#20]

This is from a civilian's observations. A civilian who never had the stones to attempt military service so...

A standardized load-out would likely take into account that some of those carrying that load-out will possibly/likely get killed not long after a conflict begins, leaving extra ammo for those still in the fight. Why wear a soldier out having him lug a ton of s$*t to battle. If he's/she's light, they can manuver and hopefully last longer.

The thinking is perhaps something like "don't carry ground beef in your backpack, make your cow walk with you until you need it, then slaughter it".

Scott

We do not take into account that we will strip our dead buddy for extra ammo. Based on that analogy, only every other soldier should have a weapon cause there will be plenty around in a fire fight, huh? What if your'e lucky and noone gets killed. Then you all run out of ammo at the same time quickly.

Probably the most AAR'd event since WWII is Somalia (Blackhawk Down). One lesson learned is you never know how many bad guys there will be and you never know when back up will arrive. Take enough bullets to stay in the fight and prevail.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I always wondered about current battle loads, given 30 rounds to a mag and more access to ammo and troop carrying vehicles.

As an 0311 in the Nam we couldn't rely on ready resupply and most of us carried a bunch of shit -- 10 to 12 20-round mags, another 200 rounds or so on stripper clips, 5 frags, 1 illumination grenade, 1 60mm mortar round, a can of 200-rounds M60 if you couldn't get out of it, 1 LAAW, and a 1 pound brick of C-4 (most of which had already been burned up heating chow, boy, the engineers were always pissed). Not many of us had .45s (mostly the gunners, mortarmen and M-79ers) and we even had to share K-bars, about 1 for every three to four grunts. (Ninth Marines was stingy, I guess). Why I had a bayonet, I got no idea.

My e-tool was my second weapon of choice.

Damn, I'm glad (and jealous) of our grunts and soldiers. What I'd given for a SAW. And if I'd only had some night-vision shit I wouldn't still be setting off metal detectors in airports.hug.gif

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#22]
This thread is proof why the AR15.com technical forums are some of the best on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I was a COLT(it is a recon element for the brigade, three man team).  I usually carried 13 magazines (12 in my vest, 1 in my weapon) on my person, in my rucksack I carried an extra couple 20 round magazines of my own.  When I became the SAW gunner, I carried 600 rounds, plus the same couple twenty round magazines in my ruck.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:30:41 PM EDT
[#24]
you were a COLT??? wow you should sell urself on egay for big money just cuz you are a certified COLT lol............just playin.....

.........c'mon i had to keep the thread....on topic of the off topic lol! if that makes any sense!?!?! hehe

thank you all for your replies....the informative ones and thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rangers Lead The Way!

Good grief

What?................................. Yeah its one of my pet peas.

I thought it was pet peeves.... But what do I know, you are the one that has been calling someone else a dumbass here

Wow a guy really has to watch his step around here. One little mess up and BAM. I called him a dumb ass because he made retarded statement a bought one of the US best fighting men.

You moron. Do you realized you are talking about a guy who is active duty SOF.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:28:39 PM EDT
[#26]
OMFG somebody has no clue what an 18 series MOS is! Thats some funny shit.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#27]
How many rounds do the CAG guys carry?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:15:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This is from a civilian's observations.  A civilian who never had the stones to attempt military service so...

A standardized load-out would likely take into account that some of those carrying that load-out will possibly/likely get killed not long after a conflict begins, leaving extra ammo for those still in the fight.  Why wear a soldier out having him lug a ton of s$*t to battle.  If he's/she's light, they can manuver and hopefully last longer.

Scott

Russia did that with rifles in WWI, but only because they didnt have enough rifles to go around.

We are not the Czar. We are the US Army (and Marines, and Navy, and Air Force) We dont engage in logistic strategies that DEPEND on casualties. We try to minimize casualties in everyway we can (some of our soldiers weigh less than their total load out when you include their body armor) We also dont leave people behind. Every casualty you could get ammo from is a body you have to spend resources (and risk more casualties) trying to recover. Your observations come from too many movies. When a friend of mine got wounded in Fallujah, Im pretty sure the other Marines in his squad were more concerned with helping him than taking his ammo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
OMFG somebody has no clue what an 18 series MOS is! That's some funny shit.

I did not read the guys name, I went back and did(and saw the 18E) and that's when I saw that it was a joke. And the joke was actually funny. Yes I do know what 18E is, Special Forces Communications Sergeant. I have two brothers one is going for 18B and the other for 18C. Thank you very much! John
Rangers lead the way.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OMFG somebody has no clue what an 18 series MOS is! That's some funny shit.

I did not read the guys name, I went back and did(and saw the 18E) and that's when I saw that it was a joke. And the joke was actually funny. Yes I do know what 18E is, Special Forces Communications Sergeant. I have two brothers one is going for 18B and the other for 18C. Thank you very much! John
Rangers lead the way.

Come on bro, you just ruined the funny

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Also had an ammo can full of them in the Hummer.

Never seen one of these in the military.  Seen plenty of green and brown HUMVEE's. Was it an H1, H2, or H3??  Did it have the adventure package??  WOW....BLING
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also had an ammo can full of them in the Hummer.

Never seen one of these in the military.  Seen plenty of green and brown HUMVEE's. Was it an H1, H2, or H3??  Did it have the adventure package??  WOW....BLING

Since you are getting technical its HMMWV

More specifically our M1114s and M1025s with AOA.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Well when i was in OIF 1 I carried 2 combat loads of 12 mags plus an at4 or an extra smaw round.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top