Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 10:37:20 AM EDT
im currently in the market for a nice ar for varminting. the two that i have been looking at so far are the dpms panther bull 24 special and the bushmaster varminter rifle. What other brands/models should i be looking at in the same 1k price range. It would be nice if the one i choose comes with a grip that has the palm swell pad but i can always get a new grip for whichever rifle i choose. also, some of you may suggest building my own but i dont want to do that.

thanks,
devin
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#1]
RRA varmiters are a good bang for the buck.....

personally, i would just get a RRA complete varmit upper from ADCO or eaglefirearms, or legal transfers in the EE/Industry forums and put it on whatever kinda lower you want....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#2]
bushmaster varminter on a stag lower. i love it
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushy Varminter

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Only have experience with the bushmaster, and it was pretty dang accurate. Have also heard good things about the rock river varmint eop's.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
overlander, what kind of stock is that?

devin
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
overlander, what kind of stock is that?

devin

LMT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What barrel length are you wanting?  24" 20" 18" ? Are you shooting from a set position or stalking?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I only own BUSHMASTERS, but  I'm very happy with my Varminter.

SKIP
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a varminter barrel on my cmt upper with a bushy lower and lmt 2 stage trigger. I cant shoot as good as that barrel does. I am happy with it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#10]
capitan-d:
When I first started building varminters I got into the cyber show and tell trap and overlooked how I was really going to use it. I think the biggest qualifier is how you intend to use it as a varminter. If your only carrying it a few paces from your vehicle and stealth and visibility aren't a  issue then big.long,heavy,shiny barrels look hot the  week they are in the vogue but may not contribute as much in actual usage.
I won't get into the usual mine is best name brand debates other than sayingI own about all of them and  I will no longer own a DPMS period.  If you are going to use your varminter for walking things get a lot easier to choose in my mind. Although all hunting boils down to the moment of truth when you pull the trigger you will find you do a lot more walking than trigger pulling with a walking varminter. If thats not true I need to know where you are hunting. This also applies to calling where your frozen ass sets in a snow bank for hours before you pop a cap. You can get in calling positions where balance and ease of swing is the whole ball game. For this use I find a light/medium weight 18" barrel to be ideal. 16" is better but the added noise and potential short gas system issues with it makes an 18" my choice. If carry weight is an issue you don't have to buy a longer,bigger,shiner, more fluted barrel to get good accuracy. Buy the best name brand barrel and have a well known smith put it together to the exact specs you want  and you will only cry once. I've spent a small fortune trying to get the entry level stuff to shoot like the high dollar boys and it all boils down to how many times you want to cry because neither avenue is inexpensive.  
Put your first money in good drop in trigger like a CM or JP and buy the rest of the bling later.  Here is the battery I use in my back yard. L-R 6.8SPC,6.5G,204,260

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a RR varmit 18inch and love it. Good shooter, little heavy but you get use to it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a RRA 24" SS HBAR.  Havent got it yet tho.

AP
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushy
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
capitan-d:
When I first started building varminters I got into the cyber show and tell trap and overlooked how I was really going to use it. I think the biggest qualifier is how you intend to use it as a varminter. If your only carrying it a few paces from your vehicle and stealth and visibility aren't a  issue then big.long,heavy,shiny barrels look hot the  week they are in the vogue but may not contribute as much in actual usage.
I won't get into the usual mine is best name brand debates other than sayingI own about all of them and  I will no longer own a DPMS period.  If you are going to use your varminter for walking things get a lot easier to choose in my mind. Although all hunting boils down to the moment of truth when you pull the trigger you will find you do a lot more walking than trigger pulling with a walking varminter. If thats not true I need to know where you are hunting. This also applies to calling where your frozen ass sets in a snow bank for hours before you pop a cap. You can get in calling positions where balance and ease of swing is the whole ball game. For this use I find a light/medium weight 18" barrel to be ideal. 16" is better but the added noise and potential short gas system issues with it makes an 18" my choice. If carry weight is an issue you don't have to buy a longer,bigger,shiner, more fluted barrel to get good accuracy. Buy the best name brand barrel and have a well known smith put it together to the exact specs you want  and you will only cry once. I've spent a small fortune trying to get the entry level stuff to shoot like the high dollar boys and it all boils down to how many times you want to cry because neither avenue is inexpensive.  
Put your first money in good drop in trigger like a CM or JP and buy the rest of the bling later.  Here is the battery I use in my back yard. L-R 6.8SPC,6.5G,204,260
img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rdreeszen/GasGuns2.jpg

Nice!, can you post more close up pics?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#15]
as far as weight and stealth goes...neither matters. ive been doing a little research and it seems dpms' customer service sucks and thats important to me so that kicks them out. i basicly want a rifle that is easy on the eyes and shoots one bad ass group at 100 yds. i want it to have the ability to shoot much longer ranges but dont have any long ranges here in des moines iowa. im leaning twards the rra varmint m4 with the 24inch barrel. do you know if they can flute those barrels? i really like those enlarged trigger guards they use, stylish and functional. i think i do like the looks of the bushmaster a little bit better but theres just something about the name 'bushmaster' that i dont like. its a stupid reasion to not choose it but the little things matter to me. as far as accuracy goes...the rra and bushy be neck-n-neck?

devo
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
bushmaster varminter on a stag lower. i love it
img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/greentoad69/ar3.jpg

That's one badass rifle.  I love those Magpul stocksq
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#17]
overlander, what grip and scope do you have mounted on that beast?

-Clayton
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the 24" RRA and I love it.  Chip Mcormick trigger and a SS scope.  Shoots tiny little holes with many bullet weights.  I'm completly satisfied.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
overlander, what grip and scope do you have mounted on that beast?

-Clayton

LMT stock, SPR grip, KAC trigger, Bushy LE lower and Leupy glass w/ Armalite mount
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd say go something like a Predator upper on a lower of your choice.  THe Predator style upper is lighter than most varmint rifles but still has the accuracy you need.  Thats just my 2 cents tho.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
capitan-d:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/rdreeszen/GasGuns2.jpg

Ugashikbob,
It is pleasant to see someone who is experienced at Varmint rifles.  Questions please...
Which manufacturer did you use for the .204 barrel?  Did it have a matched bolt?  Is this your preferred PD gun, or what do you use it for?  What is purpose of the .260?  I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#23]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h65/JBTJ/100_1354.jpg

Bushmaster Varminter, very accurate ammo with my handloads.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#24]
PrarieRat:
The 204 upper was built by John at WOA with a PacNor barrel and believe nothing other than a standard 223 bolt with the proper headspacing is required. In my case I provided a JP carrier and LMT enhanced bolt because  of reliability potential and ease of cleaning.  Neither piece of bling reflect when the ejection port cover is closed.  I use if for fox mostly since PD's are scarce in the remote area of Alaska where I live.
The 6.8,6.5Grendel  and 260 are all used for wolf hunting where what I  wanted was more smoke than a .223 in a AR frame.  My first shot is always better when I know I have another 19 to go. The 260 which is a 308 case necked to 6.5mm in a AR10 frame smokes  the other two in everything but carry weight and price.
Wolf hunting is a lot of walking and lot of sitting without much trigger pulling. That is why I got away from the shiny stuff that excells in show and tell. If you hump a few miles and set for hours only to be busted because your bling barrel looks like it doesn't belong then you may want to look at other options. You will also find out the accuracy return on a fat barrel vs a lighter one may be questionable but there is no doubt about the extra weight when you hump it and swing it  from tight positions.  Mine are probably unusual requirements and your usuage my dictate other options.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#25]
RRA 20 inch varmint right out of the box and after a few  rounds of shoot and clean

150 yards with 77 grn Black Hills

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#26]
24" bull  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:42:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top