AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
EL_TIRADOR,

Thats exactly the point of the exercise!  TO MAKE THE BARREL EASIER TO CLEAN.  It really has nothing to do with accuracy, except incidentally, and everything to do with easier and faster cleaning.   Good answer!

Cheers,

Phil

+1

That's been my experience having done it both ways on my benchrest guns. Broken in barrels do not foul as quickly, which has the ancillary benefit of being accurate longer during a match where accuracy might otherwise fall off.

It is something I have proved to myself again and again, I don't give a big fuck what Gale McMillan says.....he's only talking about accuracy from the lapping/finishing standpoint and never once addressed the fouling issue.

It does something, but for 99% of the guns out there it's probably unneeded due to their use.

I have 2 custom BR guns built on identical Ruger 77/22 actions, both using identical 26" Volq barrels. I built the first one and did not break it in, the second I did break it in. The broken in gun can shoot 50-75 rounds, and 3 wet patches make it completely clean. The non-broken in gun after 50 rounds takes 5 or 6 patches, sometimes more to get to the same level, and that gun drops off accuracy-wise at about 80 rounds whereas the other gun can go 120-150 before it really takes a shit. (this is from a machine rest, using Eley Tenex btw).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
take to the range
zero your optic/sights
take home and clean
done

+1  I had a bolt action 222rem that shot 1/4 inch groups and better  all day long!

Never broke the barrle in?

Other than shoot and clean
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
take to the range
zero your optic/sights
take home and clean
done

+1  I had a bolt action 222rem that shot 1/4 inch groups and better  all day long!

Never broke the barrle in?

Other than shoot and clean

Read my above post. It's not about accuracy folks, it's about fouling.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#4]
i have no idea what to believe now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have no idea what to believe now.

Believe the guys that are pro break-in.........., because most of them have obviously done the actual procedure!!!

The guys that are "non-believers" are obviously only going from what they have heard someone say what they heard from someone else!! That's about third generation "Don't know no better"!!!

To be perfectly honest..., I don't think they really care about it anyway!!

IMHO

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#6]
While doing break in would pulling a bore snake through be sufficient between groups/shots or should a thorough cleaning with solvent be done each time?

Again, thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
While doing break in would pulling a bore snake through be sufficient between groups/shots or should a thorough cleaning with solvent be done each time?

Again, thanks all.

The logic for break-in I have heard is to reduce copper fouling and residue from the first rounds - so I think you'd want to use at least some solvent or paste - IF you buy the logic of break-in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Again, thanks all.

The bore snake will not be effective...  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree...., although a boresnake will dislodge the loose stuff, this is not the main concideration in relation to fouling,  You need to remove the Powder & copper fouling that  adheres to the lands & grooves!!

I think anyone who has logged much range time trying to get their rifle to print decent groups will agree with two basic principals.

1.  Allow the barrel to cool between groups.

2.  Do not allow SHIT to build up in the bore!!

It's a perfect match...., the barrel is allowed to cool while you clean!!

Better yet..., I love to keep on shooting so I always bring at least two rifles.  I shoot one 10-15 rounds or so,  clean it and then shoot the other one while the first one cools, & so on....!!

I don't expect everyone to follow my lead...., but I am a self proclaimed "Anal Rententive Handloading Accuracy Finatic"  that loves to shoot, but  hates to wait!!  

This scenario allows me to test & compare loads (a never ending task for handloaders)  in one or both rifles I'm shooting that given day, plus +++ get in plenty of shooting while always sitting down to a clean, fresh & cool rifle!!

I understand this is not for the blaster just wanting to dump rounds through their "Lead Hose"!!I totally understand..., because I do that too...., but only with my "Lead Hose"!

When it comes to shooting for Surgical Accuracy...., Consistancy in your Benchrest Discipline, Position,  Form , Follow-thru, Precision Loads & Proper Cleaning is the only way you'll ever be in the money!!

And to get back on topic....., all the above after the inital proper barrel break-in if it's a newbie!!

But if your just there to spit lead....., fuck it....., shoot em' up & clean it whenever!!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Give as much time to breakin as you think YOU need. Everyone has a soap box, and we are all trying to help (in our own obnoxious ways). To each his own.

Remember it's YOUR weapon.

I shoot  a lot (mostly .45 1911). Take with a pinch of salt.

I do the shoot and swab method in my AR's:

A. Shoot a round, run bore snake (I don't fire the weapon with even a damp tube). 10 times.
B. Clean and dry (use solvent of choice).
C. Repeat A twice.

This de-burrs the tube, zero's my weapon, and makes ME happy.

* The barrel will a lot of rounds. Before you burn out a barrel, the throat will go south on you.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top