Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 9:14:17 AM EDT
How well does the ar perform when wet? Can they be submerged in water and still properly function. I've seen footage of Navy Seals under water with thier weaopons.....wondering if the ar would function the same.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#1]
just make sure there is no water in the barrel and chamber
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't see how it could safely be shot after being totally submerged. Perhaps if a round is chambered in the barrel and the barrel built up an air pocket like when you stick a glass in water upside down so water can't get in. Is there a guinea pig in the audience?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have done live fires coming out of the water right off of  combatant dives and never seen a weapon malfunction...or blow up.

We do ensure the water pours out completely though as soon as we surface before we fire.  
the only difference is a lot of water blowback out the ejection port and from the charging handle area due to some water still being in the gas tube....so the gas blow back pushes it right out.

Now fireing a weapon totally submerged, or without draining.... well then I think it would almost certainly bust something due to the water not being able to escape anywhere.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can't see how it could safely be shot after being totally submerged. Perhaps if a round is chambered in the barrel and the barrel built up an air pocket like when you stick a glass in water upside down so water can't get in. Is there a guinea pig in the audience?

You aren't familiar with 47 are you?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
as long as you stay away from bump firing underwateryou will be ok
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top