Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 1:21:54 AM EDT
Dissapointing day today. After I finished my SPR build, I decided to sight in my SS10x42M at 200 yards for the zero. I set the pods down and finally started hitting paper at 200 after about 25 rounds. But they never stayed consistant. It was always " 3" high, 2" left " or something like that and I would adjust appropriately. Then my next shot would be something like " 3" low, 2" left ". ITS VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!

Anyone have some tips or anything? I'm using my own loads. 24gr VARGET, 77gr SMKs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:07:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure that the scope rings and mount are tight. I had the same thing happen to me, and it turned out to be a loose screw on my ARMS mount. I applied Loc-Tite, retightened it, and proceeded to zero quite easily.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:22:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dissapointing day today. After I finished my SPR build, I decided to sight in my SS10x42M at 200 yards for the zero. I set the pods down and finally started hitting paper at 200 after about 25 rounds. But they never stayed consistant. It was always " 3" high, 2" left " or something like that and I would adjust appropriately. Then my next shot would be something like " 3" low, 2" left ". ITS VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!

Anyone have some tips or anything? I'm using my own loads. 24gr VARGET, 77gr SMKs.

Bite the bullet and buy a box of Winchester 69 gr match, Federal, or Rmington.  Compare these results with your handloads.  Also the advice above on the scope mount/rings is good.
Also defoul the copper from your bore & remove whatever muzzle device you may have installed.  In other words, remove as many variables as possible and/or substitute with known performers.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the "control" ammo and scope mount/rings check.  

You do have a good scope right?  Not some rubberized gun show shit?
(we had a guy show up to precision rifle with one of those! )
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Larue SPR mount and all the screws are tight and locktited. I feel no noticible wobbling in the scope. Mount is secure to the flat top upper.

I have an ADCO Ops Inc break....how would that alter my zero?

I have some BH 77's too.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
"I have a Larue SPR mount and all the screws are tight and locktited. I feel no noticible wobbling in the scope. Mount is secure to the flat top upper...."

CB: Good mount, should not be an issue.

"I have an ADCO Ops Inc break....how would that alter my zero?.."

CB: It it can be removed without damage, just try it that way to see...

I have some BH 77's too.

CB: As long its a factoy loading and you have the correct twist.  Next time I would head for the range I'd also have some good quality (American) 55 gr. factory ammo as well.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Make sure the nuts on the throw levers are torqued TIGHT with the supplied wrench. If in doubt, call Mark LaRue.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure everything is TIGHT and SOLID!  Might try 100 yards then 200?
Also might try different ammo?

BTW I bought a Simmons 3x9x40 back in the 80`s cost 30 bucks or less
put it on my 222rem Savage Bolt action
it shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards

So I dont think you really have to pay 800 bucks for a scope to get tight groups?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top