Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:46:49 PM EDT
I was reading on Bushmaster's site that the bolt carrier has the tightest tolerances and is the "heart" of the weapon.

I always figured the bolt was the weak point  (not strength wise) and the most important?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Well those gas rings need to seal inside of something.  The carrier is comparable to the cylinder in the engine block.  The bolt is the piston.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree, it is the heart.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#3]
To say that the carrier is the most important part of an AR is like saying that the heart is the most important part of the human body, ignoring the brain, the lungs, the liver, the stomach, etc. etc. For reliable functioning, the carrier is certainly one of the most important parts, but the best carrier in the world won't function well in an out of spec upper receiver. For accuracy, however, the barrel is arguably the most important part, followed by the trigger/hammer group and the bolt. The carrier is way down the list.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
but the best carrier in the world won't function well in an out of spec upper receiver.

Olympic Arms does it all the time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:48:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I see the Bolt and Barrel as the two most critical components, that must be well made and tested for the rifle to be worth it's salt. Those two components will be subjected to more punishment than any other other parts.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]
After seeing this, I would say the bolt:

Broken bolt.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I see the Bolt and Barrel as the two most critical components, that must be well made and tested for the rifle to be worth it's salt. Those two components will be subjected to more punishment than any other other parts.

I agree with the above statement . Bushmaster is full of crap it shows how retarded they are i realise they are a manufacturer but some of the guys there are about as smart as a box of rocks.

if your bolt or barrel are out of spec you will have problems they determine accuracy and reliability. they get the most ware and tear

naturally the receiver and carrier are important but when it comes to trouble shooting , most problems are associatied with the barrel/gas system and bolt/gas extraction and ejector system the carrier is just providing the ride
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#10]
It's funny that Bushmaster calls the carrier the "heart" of the weapon and yet it's their carriers that are prone to problems.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll say the magazines.  If you can't feed the beast, it's hard for it to fight.  And since magazines are the weakest part of an AR, it stands to reason.  Just my two Lincolns though.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's funny that Bushmaster calls the carrier the "heart" of the weapon and yet it's their carriers that are prone to problems.

The main thing I find objectionable about Bushmaster is that they mark ALL of their barrels B MP which signifies magnetic particle testing and proofing, yet they admit to only spot checking barrels at random.

If my barrel or bolt says "MP" on it, I want to know that it has been tested.

That may be legal, but it's false advertising and a deceptive practice in my book. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll say the magazines.  If you can't feed the beast, it's hard for it to fight.  And since magazines are the weakest part of an AR, it stands to reason.  Just my two Lincolns though.

If the bolt carrier group is the heart, then magazines are the lungs.  Thankfully the ban is over.  Stock up now!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I keep a spare complete bolt/carrier in every grab bag + a few at home.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I've seen more bad mags than carriers or bolts, obviously all are critical parts.  The mag is the weak link in the system.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
After seeing this, I would say the bolt:

Broken bolt.

WOW!!!  Didn't discover that until he went to clean it?!!!  Ya think he would of heard or felt something.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I too say the mag is a source of a lot of problems. The carrier is dependant on so many other things for proper function that to say it is the heart is retarded. Gas pressure needs to be right, chamber pressure needs to be right etc...
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've seen more bad mags than carriers or bolts, obviously all are critical parts.  The mag is the weak link in the system.  

You can fire a round without a magazine.
That makes it a non-critical part for basic operation of the weapon, as important as it may be for semi-automatic fire.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say that the bolt is the most important, but BFI fucks those up to, so.....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top