Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:15:03 AM EDT
I'm changing the furniture on my Carbine to either OD or Coyote Brown.  I've decided on a CavArms A1 size stock and an Ergo grip. I have the wide forearm right now and it always felt a little large to me. How does the narrower guard feel in comparison?...does it get hotter than the oval?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#1]
personal preference, but i like the fatter ones...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#2]
it depends on your hand. I favor the wider feel of the M4 style. The standard is too small for me.

you may feel warmer with the standard hand guards
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the wider but like both actually tough call.  I dumped a C mag a week ago and the smoke was rolling off  the the 6721.  I never did that with the standards on there but the M4s were only slightly warm.  Would be interesting to see some comparison.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
prefer the standards myself.
the others are just too fat fo me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the standard round on all my BFI M4/A3s & am leaning towards swapping em' out for the larger oval m4 style.  The narrow ones are just too small for my hands.  But then again, I'm also adding rails & VFGs left and right so handguards are not much of a priority at the moment.

I haven't had much of a heat problem w/ the standards but then again, at the most I usually only dump ~7 mags worth before letting it cool down.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#6]
M4 style for me
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been trying to make up my mind about that one for years now.  Sometimes I like the feel of the skinnies, other times I like the fatties; it's surprising how much of a difference there is between the overall feel and handling of the two styles.

Short of FA, I doubt the intended advantage of the fatties will be noticeable, though.

Hell, handguards are cheap....get both and swap back and forth like me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Got both?

my regular Shorty HG  never caused any problems as far as heat!

The big Fat one on my LMT M4 TYPE is okay

DEPENDS LOOKS OR FUNCTION? KISS
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your opinions.  Like you said handguards are cheap, so I'll probably try a skinny one first, if I don't like it I'll get an oval one.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Well even AR’s have fashion rules silly!

CAR hand guards on CARs………..M4 hand guards on M4s!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been trying to make up my mind about that one for years now.  Sometimes I like the feel of the skinnies, other times I like the fatties; it's surprising how much of a difference there is between the overall feel and handling of the two styles.

Can you describe the diffrence in "Feel" between the 2?  I realize some people might say the skinny is like holding a pencil and others might say the fatty feels like holding the fat end of a baseball bat (thats what it feels like for me). Since you go back and forth between the 2 I'm guessing you have medium sized hands?

For me the balance felt a little off. A smallish narrow feeling pistol grip with a CAR stock on the backend and a big forend grip. I'm thinking going to an A1 or Sully stock and a thicker Ergo grip will feel better with the wide forearm, just wondering if I put the narrow one it will go the other direction!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Short of FA, I doubt the intended advantage of the fatties will be noticeable, though.

Funny.  I was thinking the same thing.

I have M4's, carbines, and rails which tend to be in between

After shooting with the M4's a while the carbine guards feel great, and visa versa
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:02:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both and like the round small ones better.  Get both and see what ya like.    
Personally, I think the fatter ones look better, but I spend more time shooting it than looking at it...so I use the small ones.  ymmv  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
prefer the standards myself.
the others are just too fat fo me.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as looks, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My 6920 has the "fat" double heat shield handguards. My buddy has a Bushy carbine, with the "skinny" carbine handguards. After running through a 30 round mag at a semi-rapid fire pace, the "fat" handguards are barely warm. The skinny guards were smoking and very warm to the touch. My dilema now is should I ditch the fat handguards for a rail and v.p.g.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well even AR’s have fashion rules silly!

CAR hand guards on CARs………..M4 hand guards on M4s!

+1 heh
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the smaller ones, they just feel better to me, and the front of my EoTech clears them as well.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like the smaller ones, they just feel better to me..............

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Double Tap!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#20]
It's one of the only things I changed on my "stock" 6520.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I started out with Cav Arms C-5 rifle length wich are the fat oval type. A 120 rnd rapid fire stint melted the lip off the top hg under the hg cap. I now have an aluminum 2 pc. Don't buy Cav Arms if you like to get things hot.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Go small.  There is a slight weight difference;  I think the smaller grips actually allow the barrel to cool better.

I grip my carbine with a combination of front of mag well and forend; small works for me
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I love the fat "M4" type handguards; they fill the hand better and if you can find the Colt ones with the double heatshields, even better; not so much because of the way the heatshield vent holes are located, offset the exterior holes on the handguards, which prevent the heat to go directly into your hand, but rather cirgulate and minimizing the temperature.

Some folks like the round ones and that's okay, but I like the fatter ones.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:18:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny.  I was thinking the same thing.

I have M4's, carbines, and rails which tend to be in between

After shooting with the M4's a while the carbine guards feel great, and visa versa

Same here...so I keep spares of BOTH around......
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#26]
My vote goes for the M4 Handguards
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top