Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:31:46 PM EDT
I have a bushmaster dissipator upper and I have a few questions about possibly having the barrel milled down.  I understand the gas port is set up just like a standard 16 inch carbine.  That being said is it possible to have the barrel milled down to a gov profile barrel and putting a full front sight base in place where the gas block is to turn it into a standard 16 inch carbine?  And if it can be milled down, would the area at the end of the barrel where the front sight currently is show up the pin grooves where the retaining pins go?  Basically would the barrel mill out nice and smooth or would there still be evidence of notches in the barrel?  Any experienced replies from someone was might have had this done would be very welcome.  What kind of cost would something like this be?

Thanks,

Wes
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Honestly?
Sell your current barrel and buy the one you want.
The expense really isn't worth it.

You're not trying to make a one-off or something totally custom...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Honestly?
Sell your current barrel and buy the one you want.
The expense really isn't worth it.

You're not trying to make a one-off or something totally custom...

I agree with GhostRing, sell your barrel on the EE and buy what you want. I'm sure it would be faster and cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree that the EE is indeed a great place on the net.  I have used it a few times to buy stuff and as a guide for buying things.  I have probably spent well over a thousand there.  That is saying a lot since I am a cheap bastard.  What I have to bargain with though is a bushmaster dissy upper in post ban config.  Not only is it big fat and ugly it is purple to boot.  So, I am thinking if maybe I can send my upper to kurts kustom or somewhere like that maybe I can get what I want for around 200 bucks or less.  My dissy is on an a2 upper as well.  Not much of a market for a purple a2 upper.  The plus for me and my purple upper is that the thing has a really accurate barrel on it.  So, since it is post ban config noone would want it anyway.  Not unless I gave it away and I won't.  It isn't costing me anything to keep it just as it is and like I said it does shoot good.  I have an M4gery as well so it's not like I am lacking for ARs.

Wes
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have actually done what you asked about. I took a Dissipator barrel and turned it down to a very light (skinny) profile forward of the gas block. Then I turned the profile aft of the gas block down as well.

I reparkerized the barrel and fiited it with a new stanadrd FSB and standard 16 inch hand guards. The rifle is a very light carbine that my young daughter shoot on occasion.

The notches for the Dissy FSB did 'go away' as a result of the re-profiling.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not much of a market for a purple a2 upper.  

Ya never know, bud. Could be that some guy is just dying to get his hands on a purple A2 upper.

Spend the $200 on the EE for a used 16" front end. Then sell or keep your current front end and you'll still be ahead of the game.

Just my $0.02.

edited because I can't type
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I have actually done what you asked about. I took a Dissipator barrel and turned it down to a very light (skinny) profile forward of the gas block. Then I turned the profile aft of the gas block down as well.

I reparkerized the barrel and fiited it with a new stanadrd FSB and standard 16 inch hand guards. The rifle is a very light carbine that my young daughter shoot on occasion.

The notches for the Dissy FSB did 'go away' as a result of the re-profiling.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds great for your daughter Charles.  It is a good dad who builds a rifle his daughter can take to.  I have a son so it is much easier for him.  I am glad you built it and allow her to learn to use it.  And I am sure later in life she will know what a great dad you are.  My parents never took up such time with me so I do know.  So tell me a few things Charles as I am going to question Kurt at Kurts Kustom with this mod,  did the accuracy of your rifle suffer?  Dependability?  I know many folks are tellin me to sell my barrel.  Thing is I am dealing with the complete upper here not just a barrel.  I don't have the tools or the facilities to disassemble my upper.  Possibly not even the skills, not that I would admit it if I did :)  I am a union aircraft mechanic.  I don't question my skills as a professional.  Nor do I question the skills of a professional outside my own career.    I can and have done a lot of things.  But I am NOT a gunsmith.  Nuff said.  Nor am I a machinist.  As far as buying a new upper I guess I could do that.  If I spend the money on buying a new upper though I won't be buying another 556 upper.  It will be the Beowulf.  So I am just kinda wanting to recycle what I have if you know what I mean, hoping to keep the accuracy of the said upper.

Thanks,

Wes
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#8]
The upper I re-profiled for Christine is as accurate as it was when it was new. It has also been very reliable as well. It will actually shoot very good groups for Christine. She generally uses the upper with the 22 LR conversion by Ciener. She does shoot the occasional 223 Rem out of it as well.

I did put a six position collapsible buttstcok on the lower for her and she has been able to have the gun 'grow' with her. She is almost 7 years now and enjoys the rifle immensely. I will try to answer any further questions you may have. Charles.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top