User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:57:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont care much for 20" HBAR but the 16" HBAR on my Middy feels just right to me.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Like I said  I have A

Bushmaster 14.7ish HBAR A1 Shorty w/ ML2

Also a 14.5 M4 LMT w/ 551

They are both Very accurate!

But I rather pack the LMT M4  over a heavy  HBAR?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:15:14 AM EDT
[#3]
not my preference, but I can see how others would like them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what's funny is that if gov't profiles were the norm, HBars would be the big rage...

Isn't that the truth
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
-HBAR all the way

+1
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
two words.........grow stronger

Ah yes, I was waiting for this idiotic type of reply to surface.  Why should I waste my hard earned money on weapons systems that could easily be lighter with almost no loss of performance for my type of use.  i.e. HD, range, hunting etc...  I'll tell you what, put some weights in your pants and walk around with 'em for the rest of your life.  Don't like it?  Well, then I guess you just have to "grow stronger"  

Ah yes, I was waiting for some lazy fat guy to make this idiotic argument!  
You don't like wearing pants?  Well run around naked!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what's funny is that if gov't profiles were the norm, HBars would be the big rage...

Isn't that the truth

Yup.  

Everyone hates the HBAR lately, yet they'll mount 87 pounds of retarded magpul shit and optics and rails on there stupid gun.

Crap!  Give me a box stock HBAR A2, and I'm happy any day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my 20" HBAR!! AR heavy ain't the same as other rifle heavy!! Or so it seems.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#10]
The HBAR is useless weight.  Id rather have a rail system and flash light instead of a hunk of steel for the same weight.  Heavy stocks just balance the rifle and have no relavance when discussing the fact HBARs make a rifle front heavy.

Balanced rifle = good.  The total weight is not what matters.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I love mine

My main rifle is a 16" HBar Bushy A3.  

I have 2 rifles that have ER Shaw 16" 1:9 HBar's and I'm gonna build a 20" HBar soon.  

My wife has a gov profile rifle that feels to light to me.  I'm just use to the weight of the HBar's.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I have both and like them the same.  I tend to put more shit on the gov. profile ARs. the Hbars are my KISS and varminter guns.  I am building my wife a light weight AR and have been looking for a 14.5 lightweight barrel.  CMMG is the only place that said they could do it.  I have not tried ADCO but I'm sure they would make me one from an HBAR.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#13]
It would be worthwhile to comment that short barrels reduce the amount of leverage that the barrel has, making the fulcrum of the lever move to the rear and making short guns much easier to carry.

I would take a 12.5 inch heavy barrel over a 20 inch Gov any day.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It would be worthwhile to comment that short barrels reduce the amount of leverage that the barrel has, making the fulcrum of the lever move to the rear and making short guns much easier to carry.

I would take a 12.5 inch heavy barrel over a 20 inch Gov any day.

good point
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It annoys me to no end the hoops you have to jump through to get a govt profile barrel , but hbars are not problem everybody and their dog offers hbars

went looking for a govt 20" I found one no prob but i had to wade though 10x as many f"ing hbars

I guess its because 1 less machining operation for a habr ?

I find a hbar gun to be unwieldy

anyone else agree?

I see a lot of gov profile barrels in shotgun news. some are cheaper than the H-BARS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It annoys me to no end the hoops you have to jump through to get a govt profile barrel , but hbars are not problem everybody and their dog offers hbars

went looking for a govt 20" I found one no prob but i had to wade though 10x as many f"ing hbars

anyone else agree?

I think it has something to do with a war on terror....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
No, I luv my HBARS, and I luv my Gov Prof.  I luvs all my children the same.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#18]
No I Love my HBAR's both my 24" and my 20". The weight dampens the recoil nicely YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

anyone else agree?

I think it has something to do with a war on terror....

Only Colt and FN are shipping those barrels, and they are almost certainly not making so many rifles that the supply of blanks is being used. Whoever is machining the 20" HBARs could have made them into government profiles, if they cared to.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Nothing wrong with an HBAR, except that it might seem a little too heavy for the average person to carry around all day. Target shooters have used heavy barrels to their advantage for years, since the added weight tends to keep the rifle steady whether it's being rested on a bench or in the hand. It can also be argued that there may be less barrel flex, or "whip," and a heavy barrel has more metal and takes longer to heat up.

I doubt that the majority of the people here intend to take their HBARs with them into the war. If they DO, however, maybe they SHOULD consider something lighter. Aside from those who are just building a "model" of something they saw on TV, most of these rifles will likely be used mainly at the target range or for stationary hunting. For these purposes, the HBAR is just fine.

Oh, wait... we just wanted to hear from those who HATE the HBAR. Sorry; that wouldn't be me.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Get both.

In all seriousness I like the HBAR, it just looks right to me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#22]
SamColt

Well Mr. Inadvertent CAPS Nobody is talking aBout correct Nomenclature from what I can tell. And I dont see the "manuals" using the term hbar all that much either.  

Thanks for pointing that out Mr. Internetkeyboard etiquette Nazi...

But if your going to talk about  Weapons and not sound like an 16 year , using the correct nomenclature is a common technique. And when you see a barrel that is stamped "PENCIL 5.56MM C MP  1/7 " you let me know..... Cause the letters HBAR sure are......

Oh and the letter B in the word About, is not capitalized....................

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:03:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, I agree. I took the barrel off my Colt HBAR and sold it, 'cause I couldn't stand the way it was unbalanced and front heavy. I put a 16" M4 on it, but I'd like to get a 20" gov't profile........By the way, if anybody has a 20" gov't they want to trade for a 16" M4, let me know, but it must be Colt.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I love both of my AR barrels, (16" HBAR and 20" gov profile) because they are mine, and I have lots of good memories of shooting them.  That said, I think that even with my 20" gov profile on it, my A2 clone is borderline front heavy, so I guess that puts me in the gov profile camp.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Somebody likes them because I've been trying to find a 16" chrome-lined HBAR. Colt or RRA.

And I'm even looking for a post-ban neutered barrel for an SBR...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
SamColt

Well Mr. Inadvertent CAPS Nobody is talking aBout correct Nomenclature from what I can tell. And I dont see the "manuals" using the term hbar all that much either.  

But if your going to talk about  Weapons and not sound like an 16 year , using the correct nomenclature is a common technique. And when you see a barrel that is stamped "PENCIL 5.56MM C MP  1/7 " you let me know..... Cause the letters HBAR sure are......

Oh and the letter B in the word About, is not capitalized....................

you're record of adding nothing useful to this thread is impeccable.  Well done Jr.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#27]
The heavier HBAR  "tracks" better on moving targets.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
SamColt

Oh and the letter B in the word About, is not capitalized.................... hr

PC is better than Mac.
I prefer chocolate on my peanut butter.

This thread is a waste of bandwidth - moderator, please LOCK.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#29]

THE CHUCK HAS SPOKEN!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#30]
from Sam Colt

you're record of adding nothing useful to this thread is impeccable. Well done Jr.

Pot.... Meet Kettle............  So what useful info did you bring to this thread???  Oh yea.. the made up  term" Pencil" Barrel
Thanks Hero....... your a Gem............
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Colt 20" HBAR and I love it.
I also ordered a Bushmaster 16" fluted HBAR and I am sure that I will love it  too.

HBARs and light weight barrels are  just like Pepsi and Coke .

My girlfriend likes Pepsi but I choose Coke.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I like H-bars.  I like flat tops to (the rifles).  H-bars have permanent sights, easily mount stuff on all 4 rails and have a position left for the eotech.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I too like H-Bars and shoot one regularly,but I would not even think about pushing my preference on anyone.To each his own.If you don't like something,then don't buy it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I love all my barrels, even the big, ugly, heavy H-bars.  Maybe even especially the H-bars.  Ha.  Like my Dad says, all barrels are good...just some better than others.  Just go shoot it.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I Love H-BARS.    Especially when fluted under the handguards!!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't like hbars cause they don't balence the rifle out well.. nose heavy.... and I need to grow stronger.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#37]
+1  I hate 'em!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What REAL benefit does an HBAR have?

None.

I like pencil weight barrels for blasters. A lot. Sadly, I can't get them in midlength, so other profiles will have to do.

Talk to Steve at ADCO...  He can machine whatever you want!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Ill bet that some here complaining about the HBAR weight are the same people who hang 5 lbs of extra crap off their carbines.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:18:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Hbar's rock.

I can bumpfire all day long without my POI changing.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#41]
I have fluted chrome lined bushy HBAR's on the 3 ar's that I own.  Two 16" and one 20".  Hbars are better for holding a consistent point of impact during sustained fire, once that barrel heats up.  They also help with staying on target due to less muzzle flip from recoil.   And the fluting makes the weight difference negligible compared to a govt profile.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
from Sam Colt

you're record of adding nothing useful to this thread is impeccable. Well done Jr.

Pot.... Meet Kettle............  So what useful info did you bring to this thread???  Oh yea.. the made up  term" Pencil" Barrel
Thanks Hero....... your a Gem............

no brainiac you're (not your) wrong again.  I gave my opinion and we're still wondering where you stand on the Hbar vs. "pencil" barrel discussion.....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#43]
The only AR that I've ever owned is a Colt Match HBar.  Now, if I knew what I know now about the matter, I wouldn't have gotten the HBar.  But sixteen years ago, terms like "HBAR" and "Match" magically added value to everything.

With a RAS, Surefire, ACOG, and other things hanging off of it, it is quite heavy.  It does, however, make off-hand shooting a bit easier.  That is to say, much easier to hit what you are aiming at.

The added weight is not such a liability that it would make me want to go through the hassle of rebarreling it.  Especially since my "light" rifle of choice is a Mini-14

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top