Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 9:26:04 PM EDT
I have a 16" Flattop RRA carbine, I'm looking to put an Optical sight on it around 9x power for longer distance shooting. The gun has a perm. FSB with iron sights and I have a RRA tacticle carry handle with a red dot attached for plinking and short range shooting. I want a scope and mount that I can detach and swap with the  carry handle and red dot.  What is a good scope and mount around $200? The one in the pic is a cheapo Leapers that has a huge unusable crosshair.  

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/brascoe/gun.jpg
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless your FS is pinned and welded, you don't have a perm FSB. You could put a gas block and a 9' or longer rail on it.  As far as $200 scopes, I don't really know.  Leupold makes some good standard hunting style scopes for around $200.

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
What I meant by perm. attached is you cant remove quickly like the flat top rear.  I don't want a gas block or a fore end rail, as I don't really care for rhe looks or feel of them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy a riser mount (1 or 2 pc.) and attach the scope to it or buy a 1 pc. scope mount.

This will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Scroll down till you find it or click on Scope Mounts/Rails

Link
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay.  You can replace the FSB with a folding sight/gas block from YHM or PRI.  It would let you see everything in the scope's field of view.

TS
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Does any one have a pic of their rifle with a full size scope and a Stansard FSB?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Why are we suddenly obsessed with the FSB? Does it cause a problem with the red dot? The scope power range you are looking at should look allow you to "see" thru the FSB without even a shadow. At 3 or 4x you might see a faint blur but it should only be mildly distracting.

The thing that I see is that the scope appears to be mounted directly to the reciever. That is too low for me at least. If you are haveing to contort your head and neck to see thru it you have it mounted too low. Get a riser or one pc. scope mount and get it up higher (1/2"-3/4"). Then it won't be a problem like I stated above.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top