Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:14:19 PM EDT
I got a complete bolt carrier assembly from a well known vendor a few months ago. It is made by Stag arms.   I put it in the closet, and never even thought to take it apart.  It is for a parts rifle that I just got put together.  Pick it up tody to clean it to assemble my newly built rifle, and the damn cam pin wont come out.  It hits the gas key by a lage margin.   They had to assemble the bolt carrier, and then put the gas key in place.    What a load of shit.  You can't take it out, and there are no scatches on the gas key indicating they popped it in with a hammer.  Anyone else have this problem?  Obviously I will email th vendor, but it is getting a little ridiculous with the parts quality lately.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, interesting...

Did you remove the firing pin fist, push the bolt in the carrier and then turn the cam pin 1/4 turn before trying to pull it out?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hmmm, interesting...

Did you remove the firing pin fist, push the bolt in the carrier and then turn the cam pin 1/4 turn before trying to pull it out?

Not my first AR....lol.

Also rubs the shit out of the underside of the gas tube.   Another carrier slides right into the upper, so it's not the upper, or gas tube.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a thread 5-6 months ago for the same problem. Seems like CMT had a bad lot and they fixed it under warenty with no problem.

Hah, I found the link in the info I kept.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=248703

Edit: Sorry, wrong link. Should be this one:
http://ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=249788

it was not just a CMT/Stag problem.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well thats the last one I buy from them.....   How did the idiot assemble them by taping the cam pin in place and thinking it was correct????  

I had to tap the gas key with a hammer to bend it enough to get the pin out, and make  it not rub the heck out of my tube.....  

I normally never buy anything but Young NM carriers, but figured I would trysomethig new.  

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy Colt and Bushmaster and you will be good to go. Colt has been the most problem free for me of all. They are not just name brands. CMT makes good parts, but I am not so sure about their assembly and QC when sold under the Stag name.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a similar problem with my Stag BCG.  I e-mailed Stag and they told me to just send it in for a replacement.  Didn't ask for a receipt, when/where I bought it, etc.  Just took care of it for me.  It sucks that it didn't work, but I couldn't complain about the service.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hmmm, interesting...

Not my first AR....lol.

Also rubs the shit out of the underside of the gas tube.   Another carrier slides right into the upper, so it's not the upper, or gas tube.

Just checking...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#8]
It would be a mistake to write off CMT as a quality option in the future....

Why is it that so many people here assume their anecdotal evidence is representative of the bigger picture??
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#9]
wrong link in previous posting. Sorry. Should be;

http://ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=249788

Seems like it hit other manufacturers as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My brother bought a Stag bolt assembly for his build.
All other parts were Bushy.
It will fire maybe fire 6 or 7 rounds before there's an FTF.
Happens everytime.
He blames the Stag carriar assy.
But I know other people who have used tham and they work just fine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I will give a range report after I can get some free time to get out and shoot it...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Just make sure the gas key indexes with the tube properly!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My brother bought a Stag bolt assembly for his build.
All other parts were Bushy.
It will fire maybe fire 6 or 7 rounds before there's an FTF.
Happens everytime.
He blames the Stag carriar assy.
But I know other people who have used tham and they work just fine.

Maybe he should replace it and see if it actually fixes the problem before jumping to the conclusion that is must be the BCG.  That's the expensive way he deserves to figure out it's an issue with a $10 magazine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Well so far no problems with my Stag upper or lower, granted it's just one rifle. However it seems there has been a big demand for Stag products lately ( I had to wait a couple of weeks extra to get my upper), so I'm just guessing that because of the large amount of AR parts being cranked out a bad one gets through every now and then. I know I certainly wouldn't write off Stag just yet.

If CMT/Stag was really crap, I believe there would be a dozen threads about it here at Arfcom.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]
CMT/Stag is good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I got a BCG last night from Denny and had a hell of a time getting the pin out. I notice the key is polished on the opposite side from where the pin must pass.

Could I use a small file to remove some material from that side of the key without any complications?  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I got a complete bolt carrier assembly from a well known vendor a few months ago. It is made by Stag arms.   I put it in the closet, and never even thought to take it apart.  It is for a parts rifle that I just got put together.  Pick it up tody to clean it to assemble my newly built rifle, and the damn cam pin wont come out.  It hits the gas key by a lage margin.   They had to assemble the bolt carrier, and then put the gas key in place.    What a load of shit.  You can't take it out, and there are no scatches on the gas key indicating they popped it in with a hammer.  Anyone else have this problem?  Obviously I will email th vendor, but it is getting a little ridiculous with the parts quality lately.

I heard stag/ cmt is making smith and wesson ???
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I had the same problem with my 1st build back in august with my STAG build.

I emailed STAG that same weekend and a week later the new bolt came in. Nothing wrong with it since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I had the BCG Teknic is talking about,how you got it out is beyond me.3-5 min of wiggling to get it out seems kind of extreme and not necessary IMO.My BCG looked just like the pictures above.

Not blaming you guys at all Teknic,no hassles and fast shipping..just lost out on the cash I had to pay to return the damn thing.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I just got a Stag BCG in this week.

I'm not having any of the problems I see in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Had mine apart for the first time last night to check for this, came out fine.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]
My Stag is tight, and it does requires more attention than my Colt, but it has not prevented me from stripping the BCG.

For you guys having problems, I sure do feel for you, and hope you get your guns back up in short order.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a CMT in my LMT 14.5 upper?

Very hrad to get cam pin out COMPARED to my Bushmaster!!

My bushmaster has shot close to 2000rds and the carrier/bolt  has just a little wear

My LMT upper with CMT carrier/bolt  looks  worn the same as the Bushmaster but only shot under 500rds!

I Also have  some wired problems going on with it or Black Hill Blue Box 77gr w/win brass only?

the LC brass is fine but shoting the Win brass it gets kinda stuck and have to use alot of effort to pull back the charge handle to manually eject the round!

I might just spend 130 bucks and replace it!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I just got a Stag a couple of days ago, and just tried to take it apart. No problems at all, came apart in seconds, everything is perfect. I got it from Teknic, btw.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#27]
??
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Never mind
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top