Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 1:49:51 PM EDT
I am buying a stock in the next 24hrs or less for a AR15 9mm PDW style mini carbine 5" barrel and mini YHM hand guard and have narrowed it down to these two stocks LMT SOPMOD or MAGPUL 93B. I already have a mil spec buffer tube and spring/9mm buffer so the price is about $200 for both setups. My first ?? is will my current spring and RRA 9mm buffer work in this Magpul stock? I don't recall seeing to many of these stocks on 9mm carbines so better ask. Next any one of these may be a better fit or feel on a mini Ar PDW like this? I would just buy the New Magpul CRT stock but I doubt it will be for sell for many months and I can't wait that long.  Thanks for any info anyone can offer!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go for the SOPMOD. I dont care for how the  93B looks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the looks of the SOPMOD alittle better myself ,but the magpul is pretty in its own way also. I am just really wanting to be sure the Sopmod does not rattle around. I would like something very soild noise free. That is the main reason for spending $200 on a new stock.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy both!

I've got 5 Magpul stocks and 1 Sopmod stocks!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the Magpul.  I have one and its every bit as sturdy if not sturdier than an A2 or A1 stock and it has tons of options if you really look around.  Also the presets r a cool feature and the cheek weld is amazing.  Also aftermarket lower halves are available to accomodate your needs.

EDIT: it will fit and work with ANY buffer which fits and works in a normal carbine buffer tube.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I find the Magpul to be sturdier. However, I find the SOPMOD to be more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I vote for the Magpul M93B. I couldn't be happier with mine.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I vote for the Magpul M93B. I couldn't be happier with mine.

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my M93B; couldn't be more happier with it. If I ever build another AR, then I'll use an LMT SOPMOD.

I say have both.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy both!

Thats what I did and guess what I like them both for different reasons.  They both have their plus's and minus's Either way you wont go wrong, if you get the Magpul make sure you buy the reinforcing plate.  The Vltor is good to but after breaking one I would not own one without the rubber butt pad.
just my .02 worth.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am buying a stock in the next 24hrs or less for a AR15 9mm PDW style mini carbine 5" barrel and mini YHM hand guard and have narrowed it down to these two stocks LMT SOPMOD or MAGPUL 93B. I already have a mil spec buffer tube and spring/9mm buffer so the price is about $200 for both setups. My first ?? is will my current spring and RRA 9mm buffer work in this Magpul stock? I don't recall seeing to many of these stocks on 9mm carbines so better ask. Next any one of these may be a better fit or feel on a mini Ar PDW like this? I would just buy the New Magpul CRT stock but I doubt it will be for sell for many months and I can't wait that long.  Thanks for any info anyone can offer!

Correct me if I'm wrong someone...

Isn't that illegal without a SBR stamp?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#12]
This sucks I can't make up my mind. I guess I may have to try the old order one and if I don't like it put it for sale on the exchange.  Blue_Genes, All my class III stuff is legal NFA done or in the process of beening done. I also ordered a gemtech Raptor suppressor for this Rig which I am waiting  to transfer right now. No since in being illegal when it is so easy to do it legal in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This sucks I can't make up my mind. I guess I may have to try the old order one and if I don't like it put it for sale on the exchange.  Blue_Genes, All my class III stuff is legal NFA done or in the process of beening done. I also ordered a gemtech Raptor suppressor for this Rig which I am waiting  to transfer right now. No since in being illegal when it is so easy to do it legal in the first place.

Gotcha, rock on.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#14]
M93B
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I like the looks of the SOPMOD alittle better myself ,but the magpul is pretty in its own way also. I am just really wanting to be sure the Sopmod does not rattle around. I would like something very soild noise free. That is the main reason for spending $200 on a new stock.

My SOPMOD has been very solid and rattle-free, and the cheek weld is top notch. That said if I was going to get another stock today, I'd probably get a M93B , if only for something new, and since Magpul plans to phase them out sometime in  the near future.

The main reason I got my SOPMOD in the first place was because I got it with an LMT lower for a good price.

(In short, get both  )
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Get the Magpul.  I have one and its every bit as sturdy if not sturdier than an A2 or A1 stock and it has tons of options if you really look around.  Also the presets r a cool feature and the cheek weld is amazing.  Also aftermarket lower halves are available to accomodate your needs.

EDIT: it will fit and work with ANY buffer which fits and works in a normal carbine buffer tube.

Ordered a Magpul M93B today instead of ordering a VLTOR. After a half day of shooting with the CAR collapsible 6 position stock I decided that I wanted the better cheek weld that the Magpul supposedly has. I also liked the idea of the preset positions on the Magpul (3 according to their site). This is my first AR and my first real experience with an aperture sight and I'm finding that cheek weld consistency seems to be even more important than with blade type rifle sights, which is what I am used to.

Anyway, I found it sort of tough to get a decent repeatable cheek weld on the buffer tube on the CAR. I'm hoping the cheek weld of the Magpul will help in that respect. If not I guess I'll sell it and get a VLTOR for the battery storage. Time will tell...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#17]
i love the m93 stocks

i have two and never had a drop of regret. the magpul is rock solid and has a consistant cheekweld by design.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I really enjoy my Vltors, but I've gotta say that the Magpul M93B is by far a superior product.  I love it and won't build another carbine without it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Well. I went ahead and order the LMT from John at http://www.rainierarms.com/  as I have always wanted one and knew I would never get over it if I didn't aleast try one out. It came today fast shipping as always thanks John and I am not disappointed it is rock soild not one ten of a inch movement anywhere. The check weld is unreal best I have ever felt on a AR. I will end up ordering a magpul 93b for my other Ar so I can compare I think they both must be badass thats why everyone loves these stocks so much. My older factory plastic M4 types will all be in line to be replaced now.                                    
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Good choice. I wasn't a fan of the SOPMOD stocks until I tried one. I thought they looked a little big/bulky but they are very nice stocks.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a question which I believe is on topic. Does anyone know what the weight difference is between them?

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Both are solid stocks, the M93B is my personal fav.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Can you provide a link or pics of these aftermarket parts? Ive been looking but no luck so far.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:09:35 PM EDT
[#26]
LMT SOPMOD  versus the Magpul 93B..........hmmmmm??

Lets see...........

Katherine Zeta-Jones

or

Jessica Alba......

Get BOTH!!!!

seriously, I do not have a Magpul but do have a couple of LMT's and recommend them highly
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Bomber, The LMT is 16oz and the magpul is 17oz. Not much difference there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:36:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Bomber, The LMT is 16oz and the magpul is 17oz. Not much difference there.

Thanks. I love my M93Bs, but I was wondering if there was a weight penalty....I guess not

thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I really like my SOPMOD's cheek weld and longer LOP. Very comfortable,too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I really like my SOPMOD's cheek weld and longer LOP. Very comfortable,too.

+1

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top