Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:07:57 AM EDT
I just bought a Colt 6921 14.5" SBR.  I am thinking about getting into 3 gun competitions with it, and also want to keep it around for home defense/SHTF.  

I've heard people talking about all different kinds of buffers (H buffer, H2, H3, 9mm, etc.)  Which one would be best for me?  I want it to keep the recoil down somewhat for competition shooting, and it needs to be 110% reliable.  All I really know about all this is that a heavy buffer is better, mainly for FA, b/c it slows cycling.  So if someone could explain to me some of the pros and cons of some of these different buffers, I'd appreciate it.  How about a different buffer spring, what, if anything, would that do for me?   Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I went with a David Tubb's CS ISMI flat wound, shot peened, heat treated, recoil spring. I only use ISMI springs for recoil springs, including my handguns. I also went with an H buffer because I have a mid-length gas system. If I had a carbine, I'd use the same recoil spring and an H2 buffer.

As mentioned, these items aren't needed...they're just tweaks and I didn't mind spending the $$$.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Stock recoil spring, Endine Ar-restor hydraulic buffer

this is a great buffer, it makes it feel like a 22 mag if even that
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations to you on the Colt buy. That is a great choice of models

That one (should) come standard with e H buffer, and likely the M16 carrier. That combination will work very well together.

H buffer easily identified (break down by pulling rear pin- mine is a lighter engraved H than this one))

and for reference, the H2

I would get some work in with it just the way it is, and get set on magazines (best you can afford, with new generation Magpul followers, etc) and proper ammo.

Beyond that, trigger-time will make the biggest difference.

Welcome aboard!!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The decrease in muzzle climb and the faster follow up shot time with a 9mm or Enidine buffer is worth the price.  There are arguments that the MGI RRB is even better, but I haven't used one so I can't answer from personal experience.  The comment about being like a .22 magnum isn't all hype, they are pretty close w/ 9mm or Enidine.

TS
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I went with a David Tubb's CS ISMI flat wound, shot peened, heat treated, recoil spring. I only use ISMI springs for recoil springs, including my handguns. I also went with an H buffer because I have a mid-length gas system. If I had a carbine, I'd use the same recoil spring and an H2 buffer.

As mentioned, these items aren't needed...they're just tweaks and I didn't mind spending the $$$.

I notice he offers a flat wound or round spring for an A2 style stock, what's the difference and will either work with a standard buffer.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have an M16 carrier, an H buffer should be good. If you have a semi carrier, I would get an H2 buffer.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top