AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the RRA Elite A4 and love it ,but I,m saving or should say i,m holding on to the cash I have remaining in my pocket for a Sig 556 or a POF-USA RECON 16in rifle set up.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the M4, or better yet, get the RRA midlength.

Then you can shoot for a couple years while you wait for the others to become available.

I like the midlengths, too. Not sure if I would take one over an M4 though....

I sold my LE6920 and replaced it with a midlength (Sabre Defence 1/7 upper and LMT Defender lower) and there are no regrets. It's been 100% reliable and I'd trust my life with it.

Scott

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just a few things to think about.  If your ready to buy now then forget the Scar, P2000 and the Sig I'm sure there going to be cool and all that but it's going to be awhile before you can get one at a good price. Next 5.7 ammo isn't really that cheap and 5.56 is. lets not forget that you can't go to wal-mart and buy 5.7 ammo hell I live in a decent sized town and can't buy it localy.    So with that being said lets talk about saveing money on your M4 if you go that route.   Build your own it's so easy my little sister can do it. You can build a M4ergy with a striped lower and a parts kit for around $650 and save the rest of your money for optics, sights etc or start saveing for your next rifle.   As far as tools go it's nice to have all the specialty stuff but you don't need it I put one together not long ago with some channel lock pliers electric tape( to protect reciver) small punch a small hammer and a razor blade.

I might consider trying to put an AR together, despite being not so competent with tools. How much would it cost me to pick up the proper tools? I might consider going this route, though since it is my first AR part of me thinks I should just get a factory build.

To build form a kit maybe $30 worth of tools if your going to build from all parts $100 just because you will need a armors wrench action block and vise  .    If you go to the build it yourself fourm read the FAQs on building and give it a shot. There are plenty of us that will help you if you get stuck on somthing.   I personally like the J&T kits because there lower parts kits have had extra springs so when you launch one across the room on your first build you'll have an extra.

As far as buying a first one i'm not against it but theres tons of reference pics posted here that you can use  and there are a few extra tricks I can tell you about to take the stress away from figureing out what small part goes where.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not really.

The middy was designed around the 16 inch barrel.

so chopping the barrel down to 14.5" will mess up the gas system? I will probably just stick with the 16" if I get a midlength, but I am just curious.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not really.

so chopping the barrel down to 14.5" will mess up the gas system? I will probably just stick with the 16" if I get a midlength, but I am just curious.

I would definitely use a Middy instead of an M4gery.  I have both.  I have been running RRA Middy's for several years-before the craze started.  I don't need to go over the reasons why a Middy is great-they've been covered.  I would suggest getting a Gov't profile over an HBAR however, because the HBAR Middy is just too heavy for my intended use of the Middy.  

CMMG has some 14.5in Middy's out.  Haven't heard much about them though...just ask those guys.  They might require the gas port to be enlarged (similar to when converting a 20in barrel to a 16in.  

Unless it's a Middy, I prefer my carbines to be 14.5.

ETA-I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go the M4gery route, I just think you might be happier with the Middy.  I carry my 14.5in M4gery all the time, and I love it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not really.

I would definitely use a Middy instead of an M4gery.  I have both.  I have been running RRA Middy's for several years-before the craze started.  I don't need to go over the reasons why a Middy is great-they've been covered.  I would suggest getting a Gov't profile over an HBAR however, because the HBAR Middy is just too heavy for my intended use of the Middy.  

CMMG has some 14.5in Middy's out.  Haven't heard much about them though...just ask those guys.  They might require the gas port to be enlarged (similar to when converting a 20in barrel to a 16in.  

Unless it's a Middy, I prefer my carbines to be 14.5.

ETA-I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go the M4gery route, I just think you might be happier with the Middy.  I carry my 14.5in M4gery all the time, and I love it.

Which RRA do you have? Been looking at RRA for awhile, sounds like most people are pretty pleased with them.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
the one thing I do not like about 14.5" barrels is that unless you SBR, you will have to weld/pin a FS. I want the flexibility of changing out the FS myself w/o cutting off the old FS in case I need to change the FS, add a FFHG, or do some other things to the barrel. If I SBR, I won't be using a 14.5" barrel, it'd be a 10.5"
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
get the M4 now, and the SCAR later

besdies, by the time the SCAR comes out for a good price, hopefully you would have saved up enough $$$s

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
twl:

How about a lower receiver mod that takes Glock 9mm mags?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
twl:

How about a lower receiver mod that takes Glock 9mm mags?

Metroplex,
The Glock 9mm magwell is the most requested one of all the duty pistol magwells so far.
I think that will be the first duty pistol magwell that we come out with.
I expect us to start releasing the duty pistol magwells around the last quarter of this year.

The M14 308 magwell and the belt-feed modules are the next items that we will release, quickly followed by the Sten 9mm SMG magwell and the Grease Gun 45ACP SMG magwell.
Those items should take us through Labor Day, and then the duty pistol magwells will start.

Where can I sign up for more notification on when MGI will start selling Glock 9mm magwells? I'm primarily interested in building up a 9mm AR carbine that will take my Glock 33rd mags, a last round BHO is not mandatory.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
shit You only live once, buy one!

+1   go with that
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:34:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Go AR, but go to a shop, range, or a friend's house and see which version you actually like.  The small size of the M4 is nice and compact, but also has trade-offs in a variety of areas (as mentioned).  Look at a Bushmaster 20" A2 or A3 with a government profile barrel (1:7 twist).  Then you can save and get an M4 upper/short stock later (or a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC upper).  While there is disagreement about whether AR's are the best rifles, there is no disagreement about the availability of parts, mods, ammo, etc.  A new rifle will not have the same versatility or broad acceptance (at least for a while).

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top