Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:03:59 AM EDT
Hello All!

So after months of dragging my feet, I happened across my first AR.  I was at a local gun shop where I was actually just looking for a gun for my golf bag.  I happened across this beauty and just had to have it.  Thanks for all your help in selecting my first gun and I also wanted to get some feedback about what I need to do to make this beauty sing.  I know Im going to need a new trigger but can someone explain the single stage vs. double stage jewell triggers??  Also, any other add ons or tweaks I need, let me know as I want this thing to purr.  Have a loook and tell me how I did.  Thanks again for all your help.
http://images.snapfish.com/3464%3A7283%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D3278%3E748%3E467%3EWSNRCG%3D3233573585736nu0mrj
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was at a local gun shop where I was actually just looking for a gun for my golf bag.  

Gives a whole new meaning to...  FORE!!!!!!!!

Nice rifle
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you got a nice gun.  Personally I like a basic model and shy away from mods.  

Everyone has their own preferences.

You may want to check the Build Your Own for questions on the various trigger options or run a search.  

CSP
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a great-looking gun !!  Congratulations.  

Just curious, why do you feel that you "need" a new trigger?  The stock AR trigger is actually pretty good, and if I were you, I'd shoot it for a while with the stock trigger.  If you want to get into more precision shooting, then absolutely get a two stage trigger or something like that (but then you'll also want to consider free-floating the barrel, or getting a whoel new barrel anyway), but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the "regular" trigger.

I'm saying this specifically because I was recently shooting different types of ammo in my stock AR, and was able to occasionally shoot close to 1 MOA with a stock barrel and trigger, with Black Hills ammo (and a scope).  I then switched the trigger to a two-stage match trigger, and lo and behold, it made pretty much no difference to my shooting.  The groups were no tighter.  Perhaps it means that I am a bad shot , but my conclusion is that the roughly 1.5 MOA I was reliably shooting was probably the limit of the barrel, and a fancy trigger really wouldn't improve my shooting any.  I'm going to switch to a match barrel pretty soon, because I think that's the only way to get the rifle below 1 MOA (in which case the match trigger probably WILL make a difference).

Sorry for the long post - just trying to encourage you to shoot with the stock trigger before unecessarily spending a lot of money on a fancy trigger that may not make much of a difference, and could instead have been spent on optics or lots of practice/fun ammo.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:29:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll second DK-Prof's sentiments...I've been lucky and have some pretty sweet (as far as AR's go) factory triggers on my Bushy's...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The simple way I look at it is....

If you are just going to pull the trigger to shoot whatever and may need rapid fire situations, but I am not saying you won't get good accuracy - stick with the single stage.
If you are going only for precision and take your time with every shot - go with a 2 stage.

I have a 2 stage on my 20" AR and a single stage on my M4.  Basically it comes down to personal prefrence and what you are using the gun for.

2-stage trigger

single stage trigger
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was at a local gun shop where I was actually just looking for a gun for my golf bag.  

Gives a whole new meaning to...  FOUR!!!!!!!!

Nice rifle

its FORE
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gives a whole new meaning to...  FOUR!!!!!!!!

Nice rifle

its FORE

I don't know what you're talking about....  

I'm no gofer.   Not the golfers, shoot the gofers!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It looks like you bought an AWB compliant weapon that was at least partially changed over.   There is really no way of telling how you did without knowing the price you paid.

Can you explain exactly what you mean by partially changed over?  How can you tell the rifle isnt stock?

Secondly, I want to change the trigger because I havent kept stock triggers in any of my guns and the one in this AR is a bit tight.  I would like it to be lighter and crisper.

Lastly, I paid $700 for the gun

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.  I gladly appericiate all of your feedback.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Derrick

I have been shooting AR's since '88 or so and handguns more than that. Triggers are the esoteric connection between what you want to do and what you can do. I believe you know that or you would not have posted this. AR triggers are almost, well….military, which is military. I get the impression that you want something a bit better as you have already pulled your trigger…..and thought it could be better. It can. It can be a LOT better, and you CAN be a better shot with it. You have the choice of the Rock Rivers for about $100 or so, double stage, don’t worry too much about double and single stage as I have both, or go all out for a Knights. I have gone in between with a Jewell 2 stage and a JP single stage. I actually like the Jewell better. Go for it, once you have it you will be happy. Happy is good. After all, this whole thing is about “wants” and not “needs.”

Bill
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The model number stamped on the side is XM15-E2S

Also, I see no sign of a bayonette lug either.  According to the Bushmaster website, my serial number shows it as being post-ban.

So for $700, did I get a good deal or ripped?  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Hello again.

For accuracy, will a free float barrell make a difference?  Even if it will shrink my groups by only .5MOA; or is it the shooter?

What other things can I do to make this as accurate as possible?

Can someone reccomend a good barrell and a place to find it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why do you feel that you "need" a new trigger?  The stock AR trigger is actually pretty good, and if I were you, I'd shoot it for a while with the stock trigger.  If you want to get into more precision shooting, then absolutely get a two stage trigger or something like that (but then you'll also want to consider free-floating the barrel, or getting a whoel new barrel anyway), but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the "regular" trigger.

So I finally got a chance to burn up some brass other than just pulling the trigger with a snap cap in the chamber and I was less than pleased.  The trigger is so tight that I cant "squeeze" it, I have to pull it.  I shot 2 20 round groups and the first one measured just over 4 inches at 50 yards.  The second one, I concentrated a bit more and kept all 20 shots in a 3.25" group.  However, with open sites at 50 yards, those numbers should be closer to 2".

While some of you said that your factory Bushy trigger was just fine right out of the box, I happened upon one that feels like total crap.  Maybe Ill get luckier with my next AR purchase.

Geissele looks to be the most expensive but is it the best????  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top