Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/3/2006 12:18:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 1:37:34 PM EDT by JHaines]
Boy was it nice to have a day off of work.

First time shooting her since I had her re-configured about a year-and-a-half ago. She was in post-ban state then, and I had my local dealer (Terry L. Davis) replace the front sight assembly and thread the barrel.

Anyway, I picked up some remanufactured Ultramax 55-Grain FMJ yesterday (trying to find the closest thing I could to XM193) at a local store....then came home and searched 'Ultramax' here on the forums - only to find out people have had some issues with the stuff. Thought to myself: 'Uh-Oh'...I then proceeded to inspect each and every round for damage...and they were good to go. Put 160 rounds through it. All open sights at 50 yards from bench rest.

I used the 'Improved Battlesight Zero' method described on the Maryland AR15. Shooters Site.
Thought it worked out really well.

My RRA A2 20":

First group of 10 Ultramax 55-Grain FMJ:

Last group of 10 Ultramax 55-Grain (eight shots fit under a quarter, the big single shot hole to the left was there when I started shooting):

One of a couple of 30-round Rapid Fire sets using Wolf 55-Grain steel cased FMJ:

The Wolf seemed to run fine today, when it hasn't in the past.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:19:34 PM EDT
Excellent shooting!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:00:27 PM EDT
cool. I have that same rifle...except it's missing a lower right now. (busy on another upper)

Is there any other use for a bayo lug...besides a bayonet? Do you mount one on there ever?
Just wondering, because I see alot of people want the lug...yet no one mounts a knife.

If I had a pre-ban, I'd add a FH, but probobly wouldnt spend the $ to add the lugged FSB.
YMMV I guess.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 1:59:46 PM EDT by jmart]
Originally Posted By JHaines:
....the big single shot hole to the left was there when I started shooting):

That's what they all say.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/3/2006 2:57:10 PM EDT by JHaines]
Thanks BerlinVet!

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:
Is there any other use for a bayo lug...besides a bayonet? Do you mount one on there ever?

I wanted the lug after the ban ended for two reasons:
1) Just cause I COULD have a bayonet lug.
2) I carried an M16A2 in the Corps, and wanted a close clone.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:13:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jmart:
....the big single shot hole to the left was there when I started shooting):

That's what they all say.....

LOL, yeah, but that's a .308 hole.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:36:28 PM EDT

I carried an M16A2 in the Corps, and wanted a close clone.

That's guiding my ideas also, as I research which AR to buy... I've been thinking about the same setup as yours, sounds like it works well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:43:00 PM EDT
Nice shooting!

Is that an HBAR or a Government Profile barrel on there?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:55:31 PM EDT
Nice rifle. I am assembling the same configuration now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:05:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TylerM_8:
Nice shooting!

Is that an HBAR or a Government Profile barrel on there?

If it's an unaltered RRA, it's an HBAR.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:33:56 PM EDT
Yep, it's an HBAR, and it's pretty darn accurate.
I love the setup - mainly because it's simple.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:15:51 AM EDT
Nice rifle and shooting.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:46:09 AM EDT
You need to be shooting Highpower, if those are iron sight groups.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:00:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 10:12:43 AM EDT by JHaines]
If you mean highpower matches - wow, thanks for the compliment.

I thought these were decent groups, I didn't really consider them all that great. I think I shot a lot better when I was still in the Marine Corps.

These are iron sight groups at 50 yards (not 100).

I guess shooting stories are like fish stories - you never know what to believe unless you were there. By way of 'proof' - I was shooting at a public range here in Austin (the one in Manor off Old Kimbro Road), and there was only one other rifle shooter on the firing line during the 2 hours I was there.

The female RSO was sitting right behind me the entire time, and walked me down to pick up my targets. She complimented me on the groups I had shot, and stated that most people that shoot ARs on that range are all over the place - so she would probably remember me, and be able to verify if asked.

Thanks again for the compliment.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:31:03 AM EDT

If you mean highpower matches - wow, thanks for the compliment.

I thought these were decent groups, I didn't really consider them all that great. I think I shot a lot better when I was still in the Marine Corps.

These are iron sight groups at 50 yards (not 100).

I guess shooting stories are like fish stories - you never know what to believe unless you were there. By way of 'proof' - I was shooting at a public range here in Austin (the one in Manor off Old Kimbro Road), and there was only one other rifle shooter on the firing line during the 2 hours I was there.

The female RSO was sitting right behind me the entire time, and walked me down to pick up my targets. She complimented me on the groups I had shot, and stated that most people that shoot ARs on that range are all over the place - so she would probably remember me, and be able to verify if asked.

Thanks again for the compliment.

You are averaging 2 MOA with .mil ammo and a benchrest. Using match ammo and a sling like you were taught in the Corps will cut that down to at least 1.5 MOA. The AR is a difficult rifle to shoot from a benchrest, and a tight sling will keep muzzle jump under control better, reducing your vertical spread.

1.5 MOA will clean every target in the NRA HP course of fire, with a good X count.
Top Top