Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:17:10 AM EDT
I appoligize for asking a question I'm sure has been asked before. I tried the search, brandnew to the site. Wanting to purchase my first ar-15 and there is so much out there to choose from, confusing to say the least. I've heard Armalite is one of the best or Bushmaster, but dang... you go on the sites and it's hard to figure out which one to get(options). I can tell you what I'm looking for however. I want great quality and reliablity and so does everyone else, right? I will be carrying it on duty. I like the feel of the vertical forearm. I will probably shoot iron sights initally to get good at them and then go to an optic aim-point etc... I don't want the cheesy carry handle.  Cost is not my concern , just good quality. I want one rifle that is squared away and will last.  Heavy barrell or light, 16" or 20", rails, muzzle break etc...? I again appoligize for the long first-time post. Thanks for ANY input and your time!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, it sort of depends on what you are looking to do with it?  If you want a simple, light shooter for general fun and pleasure, then a light barreled carbine is hard to beat.....or the old Nam style 20 inch light barrel with triangular handguards makes you popular at almost any AR party.

Are you more of a tarrget shooter?  Then a 20 inch A2 style gun with a heavy barrel might be more your ticket....

M4 style guns in A2 or A3 configuration are fun and sweet looking and if you want to switch to optices then the removable carrying handle of an A3 style gun might be what you are looking for...

as far as brands go, if you stick with the top makers like Colt, RRA or Armalite or Bushie then you should be good to go.

my personal choice?  try the Colt 6520 LE.  It has a nice, light barrel, an A2 upper and an M4 style stock.....you can find them for around $1150 give or take a hundred.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard!  I vote for Rock River.  Good price, great quality, good customer service and lots of options.  Check with your department first to find out which brand is authorized for carry.  Some only permit Colt, some permit Colt, Bushmaster, etc., and some don't care what it is as long as you can qualify with it.  For a duty rig, this is what I would do:

Upper:
16" lightweight under the handguards M4 profile barrel, 1/7 twist is preferred so you can shoot the heavier 75-77 gr. rounds
flat-top upper receiver
quad rail forend from Daniel Defense or LaRue if cost is no object
TangoDown vertical grip
ARMS 40 or 40L flip up backup sight
Aimpoint M2 or ML2 (EoTech works fine too, but is more annoying if you have astigmatism)
Phantom 5C2 flash hider (it actually reduces, and nearly eliminates muzzle flash)

Lower:
6-position stock
Hogue grip
RRA national match trigger

Other:
Side sling swivels (GG&G is nice)
Get a good 3-point sling.  These are very comfy for long wear.  I like CQB solutions or SpecterGear
Magpul rail covers
light mount and light if you want it

Hope these suggestions get you on the right track.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I appoligize for asking a question I'm sure has been asked before. I tried the search, brandnew to the site. Wanting to purchase my first ar-15 and there is so much out there to choose from, confusing to say the least. I've heard Armalite is one of the best or Bushmaster, but dang... you go on the sites and it's hard to figure out which one to get(options). I can tell you what I'm looking for however. I want great quality and reliablity and so does everyone else, right? I will be carrying it on duty. I like the feel of the vertical forearm. I will probably shoot iron sights initally to get good at them and then go to an optic aim-point etc... I

1) Colt 6920

You want a carbine (short/handy) and lightweight in a duty rifle - especially as you'll be adding an aimpoint, VFG and rail system.  you'll also be needing backup iron sights (in case the aimpoint dies) and a light.  The light is more important than the VFG/Rail System/ or even the Aimpoint.

Colt have consistantly been shown to be the most reliable out of the box.  Go ask LEO trainers like Pat Rogers and Giles Stock what they use & recommend.  If cost is no object then that is what I'd choose.

Now if cost IS an issue and the 6920 is out of your range then I'd be looking at the Stag/CMT M4 or the Bushmaster M4 or 'Patrolman' (16" M4 barrel - its their version of the 6920).
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]
 I missed the duty part.  Stick with Colt....go with what you like, if they let you choose.  The 6920 or the 6520 will be your best choices.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Someone told me awhile back that Colt wasn't what it used to be, I guess they didn't know what they were talking about. Why unanimous for Colt when it comes to Duty carry. Are they more reliable? We have a guy near Charlotte, NC  that sets LE up with Colt, I'll give him a call and get started. Thanks guys for your input!  bye the way I don't know if anyone is interested Italked with an H&K guys yesterday... said the 416 will be available to individual LE in approximately 9 months to a year. They look great but probably expensive, their mp5's are solid though. Can't beat it for entry gun. I appreciate yow's advise- colt 6920 it is...most likely.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Good choice on the 6920.  I have one myself and it is a VERY well put together gun.  As for Colt not being what it used to be, some people have complained about minor machine marks or other cosmetic blemishes on Colts, but no one questions that it functions beautifully.  Colt has the highest quality control of any out of the box AR, so much less chance of getting a lemon.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Just got my first AR on sunday at a gun show... Brand new Rock River Entry Tactical...You cant go wrong there !  I love it!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just got my first AR on sunday at a gun show... Brand new Rock River Entry Tactical...You cant go wrong there !  I love it!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top